Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Author Topic: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm  (Read 120138 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:35 am »

My thoughts:

Coin of the Realm: Pretty handy. I will probably want one or two in my deck. It's nice when your terminals collides.

Guide: Awesome! Who doesn't love skipping crap hands

Duplicate: This is pretty cool. And, no, it doesn't have to miss your reshuffle since you can call it the turn you play it. The ability to gain six costs is pretty good. Smugglers does it, but man, if your opponent is going for a different strategy than you, bah humbug.

Transmogrify: The thought of upgrading a Fortress to a $5 cost makes me salivate.

Anyway, the cards in Adventures seem really well designed. This set seems very solid. Also, reserve cards add a lot more strategy to the game. Now, you have to think of when to call your card and then you have to think that if you don't call your card at a certain point then it will miss the shuffle. This seems to add even more decision making than coin tokens, I think.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2015, 04:26:15 am »

I wonder if there will be any Reserve cards that allow you to draw cards after discarding to Tactician...

Well... You can Prince a Throne Room and play Tactician with it, which still happens at the start of your turn. Not as practicable, though.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2015, 02:20:02 pm »

I remember playing with two of these cards! Coin I used in a terminal draw engine to increase reliability and Duplicate I used in the same engine just to gain the terminal draw card.

Reserve cards are delayed by nature; it's not likely that you'll be able to play Duplicate and gain a $5 or $6 cost card on that turn if it's early in the game. Similarly, I don't think it's possible to build an engine with Coin as the sole source of +action unless there's the strongest trashing.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

Do Reserve cards still hanging out in the Tavern go back into your deck at the end of the game to count for Vineyards, Fairgrounds, and Gardens?

Yes. All of your set aside cards go to your deck at the end of the game. Island and Native Village say it on the card, but they don't need to.

Don't Island and Native Village need to say that? I don't remember the rulebooks saying anything other than putting your discard pile into your deck at the end of the game. (Adventures may explicitly say this for Reserve cards.)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2015, 02:56:09 pm »
+5

Don't Island and Native Village need to say that?
No, it's just there to try to be helpful.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2015, 03:27:04 pm »
+1

Do Reserve cards still hanging out in the Tavern go back into your deck at the end of the game to count for Vineyards, Fairgrounds, and Gardens?

Yes. All of your set aside cards go to your deck at the end of the game. Island and Native Village say it on the card, but they don't need to.

Don't Island and Native Village need to say that? I don't remember the rulebooks saying anything other than putting your discard pile into your deck at the end of the game. (Adventures may explicitly say this for Reserve cards.)

You also have set-aside Durations, cards under Haven, Prince, etc; that are still "in your deck" when the game ends.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2015, 03:27:48 pm »

Apparently the key word was try, since it lead to endless questions about cards that don't say that. Of course, if Island didn't say it, then everyone would be asking that question about Island instead.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2015, 03:44:15 pm »

Hmm, OK. I think I'm still confused why it's not technically necessary, but I will ponder and take this elsewhere. It was never confusing that they should all count at the end of the game, so it's not a real issue.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2015, 03:52:10 pm »
+4

Hmm, OK. I think I'm still confused why it's not technically necessary, but I will ponder and take this elsewhere. It was never confusing that they should all count at the end of the game, so it's not a real issue.

It's stated in the base rulebook under the game end:

"Each player puts all of his cards into his Deck and counts the victory points on all the cards he has."

It should be clear that cards that you have set aside in one way or another are still "your cards."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2015, 03:54:15 pm »
+8

Although I do wonder what Island would be like if it didn't get returned to your deck at the end. So like if it just trashed a card and itself when you played it. Of course, this version should probably have a different cost. Maybe it could cost a treasure that trashes itself when played also, to keep with the theme.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 01, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »
+4

Although I do wonder what Island would be like if it didn't get returned to your deck at the end. So like if it just trashed a card and itself when you played it. Of course, this version should probably have a different cost. Maybe it could cost a treasure that trashes itself when played also, to keep with the theme.

BOMB!!!!!!!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »

hmm

Im interested in the way Goko are going to implement Duplicate. It's going to be a nightmare if the game asks you every time you gain something (trash Urhin style)

Edit:
I just hope that goko is nice to us and does not ask us after every action if we want to use our coin of the realm

Yeah, even more frustrating with that.
Well we have discussed this very issue. For Coin I believe they will handle it similarly to how isotropic does, which is, there's a thing you can click on to use the Coin, only there when you can do it. That works great (there is a corner case for Peddler).  For Duplicate I don't think you can do better than ask after each gain.

Am I crazy? It seems to me like the most logical way for you to activate a reserve card would be for you to click on the tavern mat and then click on the card you want (or maybe an arrow that appears on the bottom right of the card, like the "+ icon" that appears for buying or gaining) in order to activate it when you want to activate it. That would work fine for duplicate in 90% of the cases. No, that doesn't work for cursing attacks. It also doesn't quite work for death cart, since you would have to gain ruins one at a time and could only duplicate them if the next ruin is the same kind. For those cases, the game could offer you a prompt to immediately use your duplicate, but at least then you're not being asked whether to use it on every single gain while you have one in your deck.

However it plays out, it will be funny and a little bit degrading in Mountebank games when it prompts you twice every time you get attacked. Would you like to duplicate that curse? No? Oh, what about this copper?

Here's the way. You have a notice saying "You may duplicate X, you may play Coin of the Realm", etc. lying around when it's possible to play the card. The tavern mat can also glow slightly if you really want to make sure everyone knows what to do, but don't have people click yes or no to something. Ugh, no. Just show it can be done with a notice, while enabling you to completely ignore it and play on.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:54:12 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 01, 2015, 04:53:21 pm »
+10

BOMB!!!!!!!

Bomb Action Card - Cost: 1 Gunpowder
Trash a card from your hand then trash this card.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:18:20 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:28 am »

So this might see a brandead obvious thing to say but all the reserve cards we've seen so far it feels like having multiples of them on your tavern mat is not just a linear increase in utility - having 1 guide is handy, having multiple guides lets you control your reshuffle with extra precision, having multiple duplicates suddenly gives your 3 pile control etc.  So it it seems that strategies based around gaining/playing multiples of them at the same time will be important to consider when reserves are around.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2015, 09:09:28 am »

So this might see a brandead obvious thing to say but all the reserve cards we've seen so far it feels like having multiples of them on your tavern mat is not just a linear increase in utility - having 1 guide is handy, having multiple guides lets you control your reshuffle with extra precision, having multiple duplicates suddenly gives your 3 pile control etc.  So it it seems that strategies based around gaining/playing multiples of them at the same time will be important to consider when reserves are around.

You definitely will want multiple copies of Reserves; there's no way they can collide, anyway.  At least, once they're Reserved.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:55 am »
+3

You definitely will want multiple copies of Reserves; there's no way they can collide, anyway.  At least, once they're Reserved.

Unless they drink too much in the Tavern.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2015, 11:12:25 am »
+2

Oh man, that art on Duplicate.  Stellar.  Guide's not bad either!  Coin of the Realm, well, it's some coins.  What more do you want, really?

Well, when I look at the image struck onto the Coin of the Realm, I think I see a Village or City (originally, I thought it was actually the Lost City, but it doesn't seem to match).

I thought that was a nice touch.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2015, 03:16:37 pm »

Gimmicky guide/stash deck: Trash down (with say chapel), gain four stashes, use guides to skip your green cards, put stash on top of your deck every turn (or if you can't get a clean reshuffle, put the stashes wherever a single guide can skip to them.) My guess is this will usually be slow, but could it ever work?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2015, 03:19:17 pm »

Gimmicky guide/stash deck: Trash down (with say chapel), gain four stashes, use guides to skip your green cards, put stash on top of your deck every turn (or if you can't get a clean reshuffle, put the stashes wherever a single guide can skip to them.) My guess is this will usually be slow, but could it ever work?

Sounds more difficult to set up and less reliable than Scavenger/Stash or even Chancellor/Stash, which aren't all that amazing anyway.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2015, 11:44:20 pm »

Oh man, that art on Duplicate.  Stellar.  Guide's not bad either!  Coin of the Realm, well, it's some coins.  What more do you want, really?

Well, when I look at the image struck onto the Coin of the Realm, I think I see a Village or City (originally, I thought it was actually the Lost City, but it doesn't seem to match).

I thought that was a nice touch.

Looks more like a castle to me.

I like how dynamic the art on Guide is.
She's clearly saying "whoa, stop, you do not want to go this way".

As for the Duplicate art, am I the only one that's noticed that the sculptor hasn't got enough stone to carve the spear?
I suppose maybe the spear gets carved separately and then slides into place, but that seems like more trouble than its worth.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2015, 12:10:53 am »

As for the Duplicate art, am I the only one that's noticed that the sculptor hasn't got enough stone to carve the spear?
I suppose maybe the spear gets carved separately and then slides into place, but that seems like more trouble than its worth.

I noticed.

I assume the spear is not made of stone. That would be incredibly fragile.

Xian

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »

I just read again Donaldīs introduction to Reserve cards and now Iīm a bit confused.
He writes:
Adventures introduces Reserve cards. They go on a Tavern mat. (...)
and then, explaining a combo with Hero
ou draw your two Heroes together, play one, call the Coin, and play the other one. You can also use Hero to gain a Coin. Will the other Reserve cards all be combos with Hero? *checks...* No. Not all of them.
So my question is: when you gain a Reserve card - does it go to the Tavern mat (wating immediately for its first activation) or do they behave like normal cards on gaining?
Gaining to the Tavern mat would allow a combo with Hero (gaining a Coin Of The Realm to the Tavern mat - directly calling it afterwards - then play eg. a 2nd Hero).
Normal gaining would alloe no special combo with Hero (at least not more special than eg. with Smithy which is of course fun ;))

So I would be very happy about a clarification about this - thx in advance.
Thereīs three kinds of mathematicians: Those who can count and those who canīt.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2015, 01:46:50 pm »
+1

They do not go straight to your mat when you gain them. By default they go to your discard pile.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »
+2

He's talking about 2 separate synergies there. 1 is that Hero is terminal, so Coin of the Realm allows you to play multiple in a turn. The other is that Hero can gain a Coin of the Realm. He did NOT mean to say that you can use Hero to gain a Coin, then call that same Coin to play a second hero.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.