Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm  (Read 120643 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:04 am »

Pro tip: when you buy something Embargoed that you want to duplicate, don't call Duplicate right away or you'd be cursing yourself, both in and outside the game.
Ohohoh, good catch.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:24 am »
+1

Wow, this is really interesting.  I feel like I have no good sense for how often I'd want each of these.

Guide -- Obviously this is going to be good in a game with hand size reducers.  But how often will I want this without those attacks on the board?  It would definitely add reliability to an engine.  If I draw a dud hand, I can just skip over it to my stronger cards.  Will knowing that you have that ability change the way you build engines?

Duplicate -- Kind of like a Smugglers for yourself.  This one's a little trickier than Guide becuase it's not a cantrip, so if you want to do any cool tricks with gaining and playing during the same turn, you're not only going to have to play this early on your turn, you're also going to need to have enough +actions early on to use this and still have the rest of your engine fire.

Coin of the Realm -- This also adds engine reliability.  If I draw terminals together, I just call this back and can play both terminals.  In one sense it compares to Masterpiece since its on-play effect is only a Copper, but the bonus is what you care about.  In another, it's totally different than Masterpiece, since it doesn't spend most of its time siting around in your deck clogging it up.

Overall, reserves are a really cool idea.  I can't wait to use them.  I feel like they're going to change the way I think about Dominion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:37 am »

Duplicate sounds really bad. It does nothing when you play it, and still costs an action!

Think of Smugglers / Armory / Workshop.... they are terminals that do nothing when you play it, except gain a card. This can gain a card right after you play it; at the least on the same turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:51 am »

Also important question- can you get a hero/champion with duplicate? If yes this could be one of the niche boards where it is incredibly good.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 10:17:51 am »

Storyteller/black market+coin of the realm lets you get actions the turn you play it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 10:18:50 am »
+5

Also important question- can you get a hero/champion with duplicate? If yes this could be one of the niche boards where it is incredibly good.

No. Those cards are not in the supply.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25709
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 10:20:18 am »
+1

hmm

Im interested in the way Goko are going to implement Duplicate. It's going to be a nightmare if the game asks you every time you gain something (trash Urhin style)

Edit:
I just hope that goko is nice to us and does not ask us after every action if we want to use our coin of the realm

Yeah, even more frustrating with that.
Well we have discussed this very issue. For Coin I believe they will handle it similarly to how isotropic does, which is, there's a thing you can click on to use the Coin, only there when you can do it. That works great (there is a corner case for Peddler).  For Duplicate I don't think you can do better than ask after each gain.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 10:20:52 am »
+1

Duplicate sounds really bad. It does nothing when you play it, and still costs an action! Will probably be powerful on niche boards, but otherwise super ignorable. Guide sounds pretty good, especially in slogs or torturer pins. Hey, guide stops the Kc-goons-masq pin! As well as all discard attacks in general. Awesome. Coin of the realm sounds even better though. It's a double village that you can wait on using until you actually need the actions. I'll accept playing a copper every once in a while if at any point I can go from 0 actions to 2. Also, you can draw terminally and only use it if you draw actions.
But Duplicate does do something the turn you play it. It can be called on the same turn it is set onto the Tavern mat.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 10:20:59 am »
+2

No. Those cards are not in the supply.

Right. And also you never "gain" them. So it's doubly impossible.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:08 am »

Yay! Smithy as only action in hand? No prob, draw three cards and let CotR take care of the (previously dead) actions! (And you can even play more of them during the buy phase to set up your next turns.)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:36 am »
+2

Why can't you do the same thing for Coin and Duplicate?
Because you're not able to activate it in time if gaining a card while it's not your turn?

Also, Possession seems to be great against reserves.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:53 am »
+3

Pro tip: when you buy something Embargoed that you want to duplicate, don't call Duplicate right away or you'd be cursing yourself, both in and outside the game.

Of course, this only matters online, unless the people you play with are total dicks.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:10 am »
+3

Duplicate sounds really bad. It does nothing when you play it, and still costs an action!

Tactician does worse than nothing when you play it and costs an action, so this in itself isn't dispositive.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:32 am »

Just to clarify:

If I Throne Room Guide, I do not get two chances to mulligan on my next turn?  Because there's still only one copy to call?

Moreover, would I get +2 cards, +2 actions?
I would assume not, as Throne Room plays it once, then tries to play it again but can't find it because it's on the mat.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 10:24:32 am »

Oh man, that art on Duplicate.  Stellar.  Guide's not bad either!  Coin of the Realm, well, it's some coins.  What more do you want, really?

Beard count is still zero.  Unless that guy on Duplicate has one, but it'd be pretty small.

The statues look to have beards - so one beard and one duplicated beard for your count. Or are you only counting people beards?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 10:25:35 am »
+9

Just to clarify:

If I Throne Room Guide, I do not get two chances to mulligan on my next turn?  Because there's still only one copy to call?

I would assume not, as Throne Room plays it once, then tries to play it again but can't find it because it's on the mat.

Wrong. Lose track doesn't apply to playing cards, only to moving them. If you Throne a Feast you still play it twice even though it's in the trash after the first time. So the second time it's played, you get +1 card +1 action, and then it fails to move to the Tavern, but it's already there.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:44 am »
+1

Counterfeit doesn't trash Coin of the Realm. That's probably still not agood idea to do^^

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:53 am »

Oh man, that art on Duplicate.  Stellar.  Guide's not bad either!  Coin of the Realm, well, it's some coins.  What more do you want, really?

Beard count is still zero.  Unless that guy on Duplicate has one, but it'd be pretty small.

The statues look to have beards - so one beard and one duplicated beard for your count. Or are you only counting people beards?

Well, Peebles is the authority on that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 10:30:19 am »

Just to clarify:

Wrong. Lose track doesn't apply to playing cards, only to moving them. If you Throne a Feast you still play it twice even though it's in the trash after the first time. So the second time it's played, you get +1 card +1 action, and then it fails to move to the Tavern, but it's already there.

Huh?  Isn't putting it on the mat exactly the "moving" contingency of lose track?  To me "Put" means "Move from In Play to On Mat".

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:31 am »
+1

I like how you can store multiple Coins of the Realm on the mat. You can potentially set up a crazy megaturn that way. Slowly add Coins to the mat as you trash stuff (they only cost $2, so it's reasonable). At some point, you can have an explosive turn with just terminal draw and payload such as Bridge.

I don't know how often these kinds of things will work, if ever, but it's something to explore.

Overall these are some cool utility cards. Duplicate seems so-so, but gets around the issue of not being able to get something good the turn you play it because you can call it the next turn. I think I prefer having its effect lean towards the weaker side than the stronger side.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:50 am »
+6

Scout shows you 4 top cards, so you will know if you have to use guide
With duplicate uou obviously can gain even moar scouts
Scout will give you some nobles and CotR will help you to handle them!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:48 am »
+1

If you have two Guides in your Tavern, you can use them both on the same turn, right? Using one doesn't make it stop being "at the start of your turn" for the next one.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:13 am »
+2

hmm

Im interested in the way Goko are going to implement Duplicate. It's going to be a nightmare if the game asks you every time you gain something (trash Urhin style)

Edit:
I just hope that goko is nice to us and does not ask us after every action if we want to use our coin of the realm

Yeah, even more frustrating with that.
Well we have discussed this very issue. For Coin I believe they will handle it similarly to how isotropic does, which is, there's a thing you can click on to use the Coin, only there when you can do it. That works great (there is a corner case for Peddler).  For Duplicate I don't think you can do better than ask after each gain.

Why is it "Directly after resolving an Action" instead of "During your Action phase"?

And, is there an official definition for "resolving an Action"? I assume it implies playing an Action, but since "Action" also means "Action card", I can see arguments being made that resolving the reaction of a Horse Traders - which is an Action (card) - could be called resolving an Action.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:24 am »
+7

Just to clarify:

Huh?  Isn't putting it on the mat exactly the "moving" contingency of lose track?  To me "Put" means "Move from In Play to On Mat".
Losing track of a card still allows you to play the card for all its effects and you do as many of them as you can. You do in fact lose track of the card when it's moved to the tavern mat, but you still get to play it a second time anyway. It's just that you can't move it to the Tavern mat a second time, because Guide is not in play where it is expected to be. This matters if there was an effect that was conditional on moving the card to the Tavern mat, but Guide has none.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:39 am »
+1

hmm

I think it's more likely we'll have a "Duplicate" button when you have them on your mat, after gaining a legal card.

And compare Duplicate to Talisman; it has a stronger gaining effect, but costs an Action and doesn't give $1.  But, it can be saved for any turn, and you can accumulate multiples.  You can also Duplicate Victory cards; two Highways, and a handful of Duplicates, and you win!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.