Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Author Topic: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm  (Read 120588 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:54:49 am »
+43

Adventures introduces Reserve cards. They go on a Tavern mat. They hang out there, turn after turn, waiting until you are ready for them. "Calling" one means moving it from your mat to your in-play area; then it gets discarded normally that turn, to eventually be drawn again and go back on the mat. Wait let's go over this again. You play it, just doing the part above the line, putting it on your mat. Later, you move it off the mat into play, just doing the part it says there, whatever it says for whenever it says. Okay.

Guide can give you a new hand at the start of your turn. You just skip right past a bad hand, or a Militia'd hand, or a hand that doesn't have that Hero you need to upgrade. With multiple Guides on your mat, you can keep going until you run out or find that good hand.

Duplicate duplicates something. That name just tells the whole story. You buy a Lab; you Duplicate it, two Labs. You gain a Gold from Hero; you Duplicate it, two Golds. Whatever you are getting, you probably want more of them. Late in the game, Duplicate Duchies.

Coin of the Realm is a weird one. When you play it it makes $1 and goes on your mat. On some future turn, you call it to get to play more Actions. So it's a village that you can't (normally) use the turn you play it. And it's a village that just waits until you need it. You draw your two Heroes together, play one, call the Coin, and play the other one. You can also use Hero to gain a Coin. Will the other Reserve cards all be combos with Hero? *checks...* No. Not all of them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:00:41 am by theory »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:55:49 am »

Picture's not loading.  :/
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:57:42 am »
+1

We don't have pictures :(
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

mborda

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:58:28 am »
+5

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:59:56 am »

Interesting. I like how they have different triggers.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:00 am »

Neat.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:15 am »
+3

Just to clarify:

If I Throne Room Guide, I do not get two chances to mulligan on my next turn?  Because there's still only one copy to call?

Is calling considered playing?  For example, would calling two Guides activate Conspirator?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:56 am »

Oh man, that art on Duplicate.  Stellar.  Guide's not bad either!  Coin of the Realm, well, it's some coins.  What more do you want, really?
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:03:03 am »

So, hmm.. does Duplicate enable some more Bridge/Highway megaturns?  If you play a handful throughout the game, you can maybe pile out Provinces sooner.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 10:03:21 am »

Picture's not loading.  :/
The images won't be up immediately here, since theory has to host them and I don't send them to him ahead of time.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:03:56 am »
+6

Important question: How do you pronounce Duplicate? Verb or noun?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 10:04:20 am »
+2

Oh man, that art on Duplicate.  Stellar.  Guide's not bad either!  Coin of the Realm, well, it's some coins.  What more do you want, really?

Beard count is still zero.  Unless that guy on Duplicate has one, but it'd be pretty small.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 10:05:15 am »
+8

Just to clarify:

If I Throne Room Guide, I do not get two chances to mulligan on my next turn?  Because there's still only one copy to call?

Is calling considered playing?  For example, would calling two Guides activate Conspirator?
Throne Room just does the top half an extra time, as on other cards; there's still just one Guide on the mat to call.

Calling is not playing; when you play the card, you're playing it, and when you call it, you're calling it. Calling it does put it "into play" though, which matters for Peddler etc.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 10:05:37 am »
+1

So, hmm.. does Duplicate enable some more Bridge/Highway megaturns?  If you play a handful throughout the game, you can maybe pile out Provinces sooner.

Protip: You can have more than one Duplicate on the mat.  Imagine the possibilities!

Good luck, it's tricky to pull off.  But satisfying.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:42 am »

Protip: You can have more than one Duplicate on the mat.  Imagine the possibilities!

Good luck, it's tricky to pull off.  But satisfying.

That was kind of my point, right?

Edit: Okay, well I was thinking how many.  With four on the mat, and 2 Bridge/Highways, you only need to gain four Provinces to get the entire pile, though you still need $24 for that.  Though by that time maybe the entire pile isn't left, and if you can play 2 Bridges and amass $22 more coin (and 1 more buy), maybe you could have played more Bridges instead of the Duplicates.

I'm thinking maybe it may be more of a factor with highways?  Because you don't need to get all the +Buys from wherever.  You only need half the buys.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:11:17 am by Witherweaver »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:51 am »
+1

Watchtower engines are often unreliable, as you really need the perfect starting hand. Guide helps protect against this. Duplicate not only decreases your handsize, but you can also use it to topdeck two copies of the same card with watchtower. Excellent with treasure map! Watchtower engines need actions, and coin of the realm provides them, in excess, only when you want them! Coin of the realm is a double-village!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming; Robz explaining how these cards combo with scout.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:17 am »
+8

Really cool idea. I never considered that they'd do something different when coming from the reserve mat.

I just hope that goko is nice to us and does not ask us after every action if we want to use our coin of the realm
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 10:08:29 am »
+1

Pro tip: when you buy something Embargoed that you want to duplicate, don't call Duplicate right away or you'd be cursing yourself, both in and outside the game.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:06 am »
+3

Duplicate - the Smugglers we've always dreamed of.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:17 am »
+2

hmm

Im interested in the way Goko are going to implement Duplicate. It's going to be a nightmare if the game asks you every time you gain something (trash Urhin style)

Edit:
I just hope that goko is nice to us and does not ask us after every action if we want to use our coin of the realm

Yeah, even more frustrating with that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:11:41 am by Burning Skull »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 10:10:45 am »

Duplicate sounds really bad. It does nothing when you play it, and still costs an action! Will probably be powerful on niche boards, but otherwise super ignorable. Guide sounds pretty good, especially in slogs or torturer pins. Hey, guide stops the Kc-goons-masq pin! As well as all discard attacks in general. Awesome. Coin of the realm sounds even better though. It's a double village that you can wait on using until you actually need the actions. I'll accept playing a copper every once in a while if at any point I can go from 0 actions to 2. Also, you can draw terminally and only use it if you draw actions.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 10:12:55 am »
+3

Important question: How do you pronounce Duplicate? Verb or noun?

Donald X: don't answer ! That would be even worse than giving strategy advice.

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 10:13:09 am »

Coin of the Realm sounds very interesting.
In "Village language", it is basically "+$1 +3 Actions", so it's somehow comparable to Fishing Village.

The downside is that it is pretty bad the turn you draw it and it might miss a shuffle, but the big advantage is that you can trigger the double-Village effect whenever you want.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 10:13:19 am »

Duplicate not only decreases your handsize, but you can also use it to topdeck two copies of the same card with watchtower. Excellent with treasure map!
Why does this sound both genius and incredibly stupid at the same time?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 10:14:08 am »

Yeah, these things will miss a lot of reshuffles.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:04 am »

Pro tip: when you buy something Embargoed that you want to duplicate, don't call Duplicate right away or you'd be cursing yourself, both in and outside the game.
Ohohoh, good catch.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:24 am »
+1

Wow, this is really interesting.  I feel like I have no good sense for how often I'd want each of these.

Guide -- Obviously this is going to be good in a game with hand size reducers.  But how often will I want this without those attacks on the board?  It would definitely add reliability to an engine.  If I draw a dud hand, I can just skip over it to my stronger cards.  Will knowing that you have that ability change the way you build engines?

Duplicate -- Kind of like a Smugglers for yourself.  This one's a little trickier than Guide becuase it's not a cantrip, so if you want to do any cool tricks with gaining and playing during the same turn, you're not only going to have to play this early on your turn, you're also going to need to have enough +actions early on to use this and still have the rest of your engine fire.

Coin of the Realm -- This also adds engine reliability.  If I draw terminals together, I just call this back and can play both terminals.  In one sense it compares to Masterpiece since its on-play effect is only a Copper, but the bonus is what you care about.  In another, it's totally different than Masterpiece, since it doesn't spend most of its time siting around in your deck clogging it up.

Overall, reserves are a really cool idea.  I can't wait to use them.  I feel like they're going to change the way I think about Dominion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:37 am »

Duplicate sounds really bad. It does nothing when you play it, and still costs an action!

Think of Smugglers / Armory / Workshop.... they are terminals that do nothing when you play it, except gain a card. This can gain a card right after you play it; at the least on the same turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:51 am »

Also important question- can you get a hero/champion with duplicate? If yes this could be one of the niche boards where it is incredibly good.

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 10:17:51 am »

Storyteller/black market+coin of the realm lets you get actions the turn you play it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 10:18:50 am »
+5

Also important question- can you get a hero/champion with duplicate? If yes this could be one of the niche boards where it is incredibly good.

No. Those cards are not in the supply.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 10:20:18 am »
+1

hmm

Im interested in the way Goko are going to implement Duplicate. It's going to be a nightmare if the game asks you every time you gain something (trash Urhin style)

Edit:

Well we have discussed this very issue. For Coin I believe they will handle it similarly to how isotropic does, which is, there's a thing you can click on to use the Coin, only there when you can do it. That works great (there is a corner case for Peddler).  For Duplicate I don't think you can do better than ask after each gain.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 10:20:52 am »
+1

Duplicate sounds really bad. It does nothing when you play it, and still costs an action! Will probably be powerful on niche boards, but otherwise super ignorable. Guide sounds pretty good, especially in slogs or torturer pins. Hey, guide stops the Kc-goons-masq pin! As well as all discard attacks in general. Awesome. Coin of the realm sounds even better though. It's a double village that you can wait on using until you actually need the actions. I'll accept playing a copper every once in a while if at any point I can go from 0 actions to 2. Also, you can draw terminally and only use it if you draw actions.
But Duplicate does do something the turn you play it. It can be called on the same turn it is set onto the Tavern mat.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 10:20:59 am »
+2

No. Those cards are not in the supply.

Right. And also you never "gain" them. So it's doubly impossible.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:08 am »

Yay! Smithy as only action in hand? No prob, draw three cards and let CotR take care of the (previously dead) actions! (And you can even play more of them during the buy phase to set up your next turns.)

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:36 am »
+2

Why can't you do the same thing for Coin and Duplicate?
Because you're not able to activate it in time if gaining a card while it's not your turn?

Also, Possession seems to be great against reserves.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:53 am »
+3

Of course, this only matters online, unless the people you play with are total dicks.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:10 am »
+3

Duplicate sounds really bad. It does nothing when you play it, and still costs an action!

Tactician does worse than nothing when you play it and costs an action, so this in itself isn't dispositive.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:32 am »

Just to clarify:

Moreover, would I get +2 cards, +2 actions?
I would assume not, as Throne Room plays it once, then tries to play it again but can't find it because it's on the mat.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 10:24:32 am »

Beard count is still zero.  Unless that guy on Duplicate has one, but it'd be pretty small.

The statues look to have beards - so one beard and one duplicated beard for your count. Or are you only counting people beards?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 10:25:35 am »
+9

Just to clarify:

I would assume not, as Throne Room plays it once, then tries to play it again but can't find it because it's on the mat.

Wrong. Lose track doesn't apply to playing cards, only to moving them. If you Throne a Feast you still play it twice even though it's in the trash after the first time. So the second time it's played, you get +1 card +1 action, and then it fails to move to the Tavern, but it's already there.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:44 am »
+1

Counterfeit doesn't trash Coin of the Realm. That's probably still not agood idea to do^^

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:53 am »

The statues look to have beards - so one beard and one duplicated beard for your count. Or are you only counting people beards?

Well, Peebles is the authority on that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 10:30:19 am »

Just to clarify:

Wrong. Lose track doesn't apply to playing cards, only to moving them. If you Throne a Feast you still play it twice even though it's in the trash after the first time. So the second time it's played, you get +1 card +1 action, and then it fails to move to the Tavern, but it's already there.

Huh?  Isn't putting it on the mat exactly the "moving" contingency of lose track?  To me "Put" means "Move from In Play to On Mat".

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:31 am »
+1

I like how you can store multiple Coins of the Realm on the mat. You can potentially set up a crazy megaturn that way. Slowly add Coins to the mat as you trash stuff (they only cost $2, so it's reasonable). At some point, you can have an explosive turn with just terminal draw and payload such as Bridge.

I don't know how often these kinds of things will work, if ever, but it's something to explore.

Overall these are some cool utility cards. Duplicate seems so-so, but gets around the issue of not being able to get something good the turn you play it because you can call it the next turn. I think I prefer having its effect lean towards the weaker side than the stronger side.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:50 am »
+6

Scout shows you 4 top cards, so you will know if you have to use guide
With duplicate uou obviously can gain even moar scouts
Scout will give you some nobles and CotR will help you to handle them!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:48 am »
+1

If you have two Guides in your Tavern, you can use them both on the same turn, right? Using one doesn't make it stop being "at the start of your turn" for the next one.

Rubby

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:13 am »
+2

hmm

Edit:

Well we have discussed this very issue. For Coin I believe they will handle it similarly to how isotropic does, which is, there's a thing you can click on to use the Coin, only there when you can do it. That works great (there is a corner case for Peddler).  For Duplicate I don't think you can do better than ask after each gain.

Why is it "Directly after resolving an Action" instead of "During your Action phase"?

And, is there an official definition for "resolving an Action"? I assume it implies playing an Action, but since "Action" also means "Action card", I can see arguments being made that resolving the reaction of a Horse Traders - which is an Action (card) - could be called resolving an Action.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:24 am »
+7

Just to clarify:

Huh?  Isn't putting it on the mat exactly the "moving" contingency of lose track?  To me "Put" means "Move from In Play to On Mat".
Losing track of a card still allows you to play the card for all its effects and you do as many of them as you can. You do in fact lose track of the card when it's moved to the tavern mat, but you still get to play it a second time anyway. It's just that you can't move it to the Tavern mat a second time, because Guide is not in play where it is expected to be. This matters if there was an effect that was conditional on moving the card to the Tavern mat, but Guide has none.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:39 am »
+1

hmm

I think it's more likely we'll have a "Duplicate" button when you have them on your mat, after gaining a legal card.

And compare Duplicate to Talisman; it has a stronger gaining effect, but costs an Action and doesn't give $1.  But, it can be saved for any turn, and you can accumulate multiples.  You can also Duplicate Victory cards; two Highways, and a handful of Duplicates, and you win!

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2015, 10:39:21 am »
+4

hmm

Edit:

Why is it "Directly after resolving an Action" instead of "During your Action phase"?

And, is there an official definition for "resolving an Action"? I assume it implies playing an Action, but since "Action" also means "Action card", I can see arguments being made that resolving the reaction of a Horse Traders - which is an Action (card) - could be called resolving an Action.
Trolling those Diadem hands with no Action cards to play.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2015, 10:40:15 am »
+1

You can Throne Room island to store a total of 3 cards on the Island mat, so Throne Rooming Guide is gonna draw you two cards.

The interaction with calling will probably be more obvious with a rulebook that clarifies that the ability to call the card is on the basis of it being physically on the Tavern mat, not because you played it. 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:34 am »
+1

The statues have mustaches, though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:55 am »
+1

Just to clarify:

Yes, which is why it fails to put it on the mat the second time.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2015, 10:42:03 am »
+6

"During your Action phase" is too broad. "Any time" stuff tends to break in games with lots of interacting rules on cards.

Resolving an Action means resolving a played Action card. It doesn't work on reaction abilities.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 10:43:28 am »
+1

Duplicate seems so-so, but gets around the issue of not being able to get something good the turn you play it because you can call it the next turn. I think I prefer having its effect lean towards the weaker side than the stronger side.

Not sure what you mean here; you can call it the same turn that you played it, no problem.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 10:44:53 am »

I wonder wether there's an Action-Reserve that can be called when you play a card.
Then, when you TR it, you can play it (placing it on the Tavern), call it, ad then play and tavern it again.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 10:44:59 am »
+1

Coin of the Realm... yes good, I'll take 500 please.

No really, there's nothing in Dominion that I hate more than terminal collision (at least nothing non-attack based). I have a feeling I'd overbuy those coinies.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2015, 10:45:40 am »
+1

"During your Action phase" is too broad. "Any time" stuff tends to break in games with lots of interacting rules on cards.

Resolving an Action means resolving a played Action card. It doesn't work on reaction abilities.

I'm not really comfortable with "resolve" as a term - does that mean I have to wait until the second turn of a Duration card to call CotR?  Wharf doesn't resolve until I've gotten my +2 Cards/+1 Buy on my next turn.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2015, 10:46:43 am »
+3

hmm

Edit:

He used "Directly after resolving an action" to make it clear that you can't draw three cards off Warehouse, call the coin, then discard three cards due to Warehouse.  You aren't finished resolving an action until you finish executing all of its text.

As an example of how this could matter, you could play Storyteller, use its ability to play a Venture, then reveal some cards and flip up a Bank.  The wording makes it clear that you can't say "Oh shi-" and call the coin so that you have more treasures in play when Bank resolves, you must call it directly after resolving an action, which with Storyteller would be the moment after you finished drawing cards.

Horse Traders is an Action that also happens to be a Reaction, those things aren't actually related at all, and functioning as a Reaction is not playing an Action.  Note that Fool's Gold and Tunnel are both Reactions, but not Actions, and no one has ever been confused about whether discarding Tunnel to an Oasis would be enough to activate their Conspirator or not.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:11 am »
+2

hmm

I think it's more likely we'll have a "Duplicate" button when you have them on your mat, after gaining a legal card.

And compare Duplicate to Talisman; it has a stronger gaining effect, but costs an Action and doesn't give $1.  But, it can be saved for any turn, and you can accumulate multiples.  You can also Duplicate Victory cards; two Highways, and a handful Tavern full of Duplicates, and you win!

Fixed that for you. A handful of Duplicates is pretty bad; you need to have been already playing them throughout the game.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:53 am »

Just to clarify:

Losing track of a card still allows you to play the card for all its effects and you do as many of them as you can. You do in fact lose track of the card when it's moved to the tavern mat, but you still get to play it a second time anyway. It's just that you can't move it to the Tavern mat a second time, because Guide is not in play where it is expected to be. This matters if there was an effect that was conditional on moving the card to the Tavern mat, but Guide has none.

Oh, right, this was my understanding, but I misread what you were responding to. 

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2015, 10:50:46 am »
+1

Wharf doesn't resolve until I've gotten my +2 Cards/+1 Buy on my next turn.

This is wrong. Wharf is completely resolved right after you play it. The thing it does when it resolves is to give you 2 cards and a buy now, and to give you 2 cards and a buy at the start of your next turn. It's not still being resolved on your next turn.

Tonks77

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 10:51:31 am »

When I play a Reserve Card and put it on my Tavern mat, I guess they will not count as "in play" afterwards (relevant for peddler buys, or resolving horn of plenty)?

Will played Action Reserve Cards count as Played Actions for Conspirator? I think, they should...

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 10:51:47 am »

I'm not really comfortable with "resolve" as a term - does that mean I have to wait until the second turn of a Duration card to call CotR?  Wharf doesn't resolve until I've gotten my +2 Cards/+1 Buy on my next turn.

I think you "resolve" setting up a future effect the turn that you play it. If you Procession a Duration it goes away and everything works fine because you completely resolved and set up your next turn effect already. I think staying in play is mostly just a convenient reminder. But in due time the rulebook will tell all.

Edit: Thanks, GendoIkari :)

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:04 am »
+2

So, where does this put us on the whole mat thing.  What is the most mattastic game we can have?

Pirate Ship, Island, Trade Route, Tavern, Native Village am I forgetting something?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:08 am »
+1

Duplicate seems so-so, but gets around the issue of not being able to get something good the turn you play it because you can call it the next turn. I think I prefer having its effect lean towards the weaker side than the stronger side.

Not sure what you mean here; you can call it the same turn that you played it, no problem.
I mean, having to play a terminal that doesn't provide any coin or cards will probably put a dent on the buying power of the turn that card is played.

It could end up being that Duplicate is not worth getting without a good engine or at least a pseudo-engine to support it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:42 am »

This is wrong. Wharf is completely resolved right after you play it. The thing it does when it resolves is to give you 2 cards and a buy now, and to give you 2 cards and a buy at the start of your next turn. It's not still being resolved on your next turn.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, thoughts on cards!

Really love the art on Guide - looks like a 90's era MTG card, almost.  As for its effect, definitely something I'd pick up with $3 and didn't want a Silver, but not something I want *lots* of - just a little something to ensure engine (or just general deck) reliability.

Duplicate, I feel, is more powerful than some of you are giving it credit for.

CotR is my favorite card from this set!  It's awesome!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:54 am »
+5

When I play a Reserve Card and put it on my Tavern mat, I guess they will not count as "in play" afterwards (relevant for peddler buys, or resolving horn of plenty)?

Correct.

Will played Action Reserve Cards count as Played Actions for Conspirator? I think, they should...

They count if you played them this turn, but not if you just called them this turn.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2015, 10:54:09 am »

This was clarified:

Just to clarify:

Throne Room just does the top half an extra time, as on other cards; there's still just one Guide on the mat to call.

Calling is not playing; when you play the card, you're playing it, and when you call it, you're calling it. Calling it does put it "into play" though, which matters for Peddler etc.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2015, 10:54:39 am »

Coin of the realm is probably my favorite card in adventures, and that's saying a lot because I really like a lot of the cards. DXV is basically a genius for coming up with this card the way it is, it's just so beautiful the way you build your deck very differently to get the most out of it.

Ela, the nice thing about CotR is that you aren't punished that much by over buying them, and it turns out that the split matters most of the time.

Guide is one of those cards that I love, probably more than anyone else will. That card makes me so happy, I just feel so much better about my life whenever I have one on my mat  :)

Duplicate is a gainer, it's best with cards you want to spam, unlike haggler. Haggler tends to be stronger, but hey it costs 5 and duplicate doesn't. I would rarely open with it though.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2015, 10:54:43 am »

So, where does this put us on the whole mat thing.  What is the most mattastic game we can have?

Pirate Ship, Island, Trade Route, Tavern, Native Village am I forgetting something?

There's the mats that hold VP tokens. And Trade Route mat is a separate category, because there's only 1, not 1 for each player.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2015, 10:55:51 am »

There is a "Trash" Card that you could call a Mat.  Didn't Prosperity come with a mat to place your Victory Tokens?

Mole5000

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2015, 10:55:55 am »

There's the mats that hold VP tokens. And Trade Route mat is a separate category, because there's only 1, not 1 for each player.

ALL THE MATS.

Just because there is only one of them it is still a mat.  And possibly my favourite mat at that.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2015, 10:56:32 am »

There is a "Trash" Card that you could call a Mat.

Only if you were some kind of heathen.  If it's not square it's not a mat.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2015, 10:57:41 am »
+1

There is a "Trash" Card that you could call a Mat.

Only if you were some kind of heathen.  If it's not square it's not a mat.

Rectangles can be Mats, too.  Ever set a dinner table?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2015, 10:58:11 am »

My understanding is that playing a Reserve card from hand (you know, like you normally play an Action card at the cost of an Action) counts for Conspirator activation, but calling a card from the Tavern mat does not. Calling moves a card from the mat into play directly without actually playing it. Otherwise, Coin of the Realm could be played endlessly for infinite coins every time an Action Card is resolved.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:00:52 am by markusin »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:15 am »
+10

Coin of the realm is probably my favorite card in adventures, and that's saying a lot because I really like a lot of the cards. DXV is basically a genius for coming up with this card the way it is, it's just so beautiful the way you build your deck very differently to get the most out of it.
LF is the one who suggested making it a treasure. I had it as an action, but it was tricky finding a good spot relative to other villages.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2015, 11:04:09 am »
+1

Counterfeit doesn't trash Coin of the Realm. That's probably still not agood idea to do^^

This is neat; sometimes you may want to.  I mean, sometimes you play Counterfeit without trashing for the +Buy, and in this case you might as well play it on Coin of the Realm for an extra +1.  Or if they're just the only two Treasures in  your hand.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2015, 11:08:55 am »
+3

Horse Traders is an Action that also happens to be a Reaction, those things aren't actually related at all, and functioning as a Reaction is not playing an Action.  Note that Fool's Gold and Tunnel are both Reactions, but not Actions, and no one has ever been confused about whether discarding Tunnel to an Oasis would be enough to activate their Conspirator or not.

Your explanation here is obviously correct, but I think you're not really appreciating why Rubby thought this was worth asking?

Coin of the Realm doesn't say "playing an Action"; it says "resolving an Action". Horse Traders is an Action card, in addition to whatever other types it may have. In the absence of a more formal definition of "resolve" (which perhaps the Adventures rulebook will provide), it's reasonable to describe setting aside Horse Traders in response to an attack as "resolving" Horse Traders—e.g., you might say to someone "you can reveal both Horse Traders and Secret Chamber, but you have to finish resolving one before you can reveal the other." So if Horse Traders is an Action card, and you're "resolving" Horse Traders when you set it aside, an overly-literal reading could construe that as "resolving an Action card". Which suggests the interpretation that "resolving an Action" doesn't exactly mean "resolving an Action card".

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2015, 11:10:35 am »
+1

LF is the one who suggested making it a treasure. I had it as an action, but it was tricky finding a good spot relative to other villages.

Congrats to LF, then. Being a Treasure is a great niche for this; it reminds me of Merchant Guild, in that the benefit is just a bit too late to use it this turn.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:15 am »

I'd been wondering what the new card color would be! Man, the gradient on that Treasure-Reserve is subtle. I'm also surprised it's called a Tavern Mat and not a Reserve Mat. I feel like Dominion usually chooses straightforwardness over flavorfulness. (It's a VP mat not a Landowner's Mat or something.) I wonder what the Tavern Mat art will look like. It also seems counterintuitive that calling cards doesn't put them in play, but I'm guessing this was to balance Peddler, Horn of Plenty, etc.

The cards seem pretty intriguing and I'm guessing that are some even cooler ones to come.
I'm excited about all of them, but Guide least so, probably because I'm expecting to be distressed trying to guess if my next 5 cards are better than what I have now. No question with discard attacks, though.
Duplicate is something I've wanted -- and it actually works on Victory cards! Seems like an all around sweet deal; it's like Talisman whenever you want it, with all its restrictions relaxed.
Without the Teaser, I would never have expected Coin of the Realm; very inventive and I like it. It also seems powerful that you get to choose whether you want to use it after your terminal draw. I think I'll be a fan.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2015, 11:13:17 am »
+7

Calling cards does put them in play.  It just doesn't play them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2015, 11:13:22 am »

Congrats to LF, then. Being a Treasure is a great niche for this; it reminds me of Merchant Guild, in that the benefit is just a bit too late to use it this turn.

Of course this combos with Storyteller though, so you can get the benefit on the same turn.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2015, 11:15:25 am »
+1

Ela, the nice thing about CotR is that you aren't punished that much by over buying them, and it turns out that the split matters most of the time.

I don't think I ever saw the CotR split matter very much. And I think it's quite bad to overbuy them, both from an opportunity cost view and because it's still a dead card for draw. Seemed much better as a supplemental Village where you get just a few copies. Obvious exception is: CotR is the only Village AND you need a lot of +actions.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:20:21 am by Mic Qsenoch »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2015, 11:15:39 am »
+4

Being a Treasure is a great niche for this; it reminds me of Merchant Guild, in that the benefit is just a bit too late to use it this turn.

That's actually for tracking reasons. In real-life games, if you have a bunch of "Actions of the Realm" (some already on your mat) and play some and call some during the same turn, it's problematic to remember how many made money for you. An Action version could have just not made coins, but I'm glad that the Treasure version worked out. It's cool to have a Treasure-Reserve card and it's cool to have a Treasure that's a village (especially one that can't be drawn dead).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:17:35 am by LastFootnote »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2015, 11:15:59 am »
+5

I'd been wondering what the new card color would be! Man, the gradient on that Treasure-Reserve is subtle. I'm also surprised it's called a Tavern Mat and not a Reserve Mat. I feel like Dominion usually chooses straightforwardness over flavorfulness. (It's a VP mat not a Landowner's Mat or something.) I wonder what the Tavern Mat art will look like. It also seems counterintuitive that calling cards doesn't put them in play, but I'm guessing this was to balance Peddler, Horn of Plenty, etc.
Eric J. Carter did the mat. It shows some of the characters from the Reserve cards in a tavern. Beyond that you will have to wait until the set is out to see it.

Calling cards does put them into play, it just isn't "playing" them. It doesn't do the top half.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2015, 11:17:04 am »
+1

Wero pointed out that it DOES put them into play. But I think it's kind of funny that you find the opposite to be counter-intuitive... my impression when playing with these was that it was confusing that they were put into play, given that they weren't being played. I would have thought that they should just go to your discard. I'm guessing that they don't because Donald didn't want the possibility of re-playing the card the same turn that you called it.

chris3145

• Pawn
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
+8

Are all the reserve cards going to have that incorrect comma? That's annoying.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2015, 11:21:26 am »
+1

I would have thought that they should just go to your discard. I'm guessing that they don't because Donald didn't want the possibility of re-playing the card the same turn that you called it.
Yeah that had problems.

Sidsel

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2015, 11:22:19 am »

"Start of your turn"
How does Guide interact with Durations and Prince?
Do I resolve Guide before or after Tactician draw for example? (After would be a poor choice - swapping 10 for 5, but cleaning up the first five and then drawing another five for Tactician would be nice.)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2015, 11:22:24 am »
+5

Are all the reserve cards going to, have that incorrect comma? That's annoying.

Fixed that for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2015, 11:22:34 am »
+5

"Start of your turn"
Do I resolve Guide before or after Tactician draw for example? (After would be a poor choice - swapping 10 for 5, but cleaning up the first five and then drawing another five for Tactician would be nice.)

You choose!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2015, 11:23:19 am »
+4

"Start of your turn"

You would choose the order, just like all other "start of your turn" events.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2015, 11:24:06 am »
+2

It turns out I value clear communication above language prescriptivism. In fact I don't value language prescriptivism at all.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2015, 11:29:23 am »

It turns out I value clear communication above language prescriptivism. In fact I don't value language prescriptivism at all.

Just out of curiosity, why not use "If you do, ...".  To save space?

Rubby

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2015, 11:29:32 am »

I'm aware of all this; the point still holds that in the absence of an official ruling/definition, the words "resolving an Action" could be parsed to mean something other than playing an Action. "Horse Traders is an Action; I resolved (the Reaction function of) a Horse Traders; ergo I resolved an Action!"

Edit: Yeah, what AJD said:P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:15:51 pm by Rubby »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2015, 11:30:56 am »
+1

", for " is less space than ".  If you do, "

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:15 am »
+8

I feel the comma makes these cards 0% clearer.

EDIT: I should also say that it doesn't annoy me like it used to. You get used to it quickly and in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:37:17 am by LastFootnote »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2015, 11:33:25 am »
+1

To save space, and because I got it into my head that maybe "to" would work fine for people. "If you do" seems more compelling for cases where you might fail to do the thing.

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2015, 11:34:23 am »
+2

Cant wait to play a poker game with some duplicates on a duke board. Who will commit first?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2015, 11:37:25 am »
+2

The comma is a delimiter. In the case of Guide for example, there would be people asking, so can I draw 5 cards every turn? The power level would make it clear that they must not be able to, but they would ask anyway.

Interestingly Jay, who ruthlessly prunes my commas, did not even mention those.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2015, 11:37:52 am »
+2

", for " is less space than ".  If you do, "

" for " is even less space!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2015, 11:39:14 am »
+4

The comma is a delimiter. In the case of Guide for example, there would be people asking, so can I draw 5 cards every turn? The power level would make it clear that they must not be able to, but they would ask anyway.

The word "to" is the delimiter, though. You do A to do B. If you didn't do A, you can't just do B. I'm not trying to restart this discussion, though. Really it's unimportant as long as the card is clear. And the final form is clear.

Interestingly Jay, who ruthlessly prunes my commas, did not even mention those.

Yes, that surprised me.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2015, 11:39:53 am »
+7

Dude.

Turn start -> Call: -all Cards, +5 Cards.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:20 am »

Dude.

Sorry, I'm honestly not seeing what you're saying.

Edit: Oh, I mean in terms of the possible ambiguity without the comma.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:43:54 am by Witherweaver »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2015, 11:43:04 am »

Aaaaargh! You killed Dominion!

I think he's saying that if space were the only issue, Dominion cards could be a lot more terse. I'm really glad they're not, though.

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2015, 11:43:38 am »
+1

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

Can you use Guide's mulligan ability in the exact turn you played via Prince?
(Okay, if you want something more realistic: via a Princed Throne Room/ Herald)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:44:44 am by market squire »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2015, 11:43:46 am »
+2

Dude.

DO YOU EVEN CODE, BRUH

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:00 am »
+2

I assumed the sentences were grammatically correct, to follow the law of charitable judgments, which means I interpreted the commas to be parenthetical commas.  So the fact that you actually get a benefit for calling the cards is just a parenthetical expression, not the focus of the sentence.  Gaining a card costing up to 6$ is pretty minor and unimportant, what's awesome man, is you may call the card, call it anytime you like, after a gain and before anything else happens, but other than that anytime you want man.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:25 am »
+2

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

(Okay, if you want something more realistic: via a Princed Throne Room/ Herald/ Golem)

Uhhhh, no?  You can use it on an Outpost turn, though?  Which would be freaking awesome, by the way.

Princing a Guide would be pretty stupid, honestly.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:38 am »

The word "to" is the delimiter, though. You do A to do B. If you didn't do A, you can't just do B. I'm not trying to restart this discussion, though. Really it's unimportant as long as the card is clear. And the final form is clear.
Vampire Weekend - Oxford Comma

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:52 am »
+2

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:16 am »

Aaaaargh! You killed Dominion!

I think he's saying that if space were the only issue, Dominion cards could be a lot more terse. I'm really glad they're not, though.

I fixed my post.  I'm not seeing where the ambiguity is between ", for " and " for" or ", to " and " to ".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:49 am »
+2

Strange 80's woman

I'm just glad this wasn't Call Me, Maybe.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2015, 11:48:17 am »

Amazing 80's woman

I'm just glad this wasn't Call Me, Maybe.

Fixed that for you.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50:05 am »

Wero pointed out that it DOES put them into play. But I think it's kind of funny that you find the opposite to be counter-intuitive... my impression when playing with these was that it was confusing that they were put into play, given that they weren't being played. I would have thought that they should just go to your discard. I'm guessing that they don't because Donald didn't want the possibility of re-playing the card the same turn that you called it.

Whoops, misread something earlier, sorry. And I only think it's more intuitive because any time non-Reactions do something they end up in play. But we're all good, works like expected.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50:39 am »
+4

I fixed my post.  I'm not seeing where the ambiguity is between ", for " and " for" or ", to " and " to ".
"When X, you may A to B and C" can be parsed as "When X happens, first I can A to B, and then, regardless of that, I can C." Such is Human Perversity.

chris3145

• Pawn
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:43 am »
+3

I assumed the sentences were grammatically correct, to follow the law of charitable judgments, which means I interpreted the commas to be parenthetical commas.  So the fact that you actually get a benefit for calling the cards is just a parenthetical expression, not the focus of the sentence.  Gaining a card costing up to 6$ is pretty minor and unimportant, what's awesome man, is you may call the card, call it anytime you like, after a gain and before anything else happens, but other than that anytime you want man.

They can't be parenthetical commas because the rest of the sentence is grammatically incorrect if you remove the commas and the clause between them.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:48 am »
+4

I don't foresee this comma discussion going anywhere. So hey, how about these great new cards?

I underbuy Duplicate and am generally in the camp that thinks it looks weak. You can call it on the turn you play it, but it hurts your buying power by being a dead terminal that turn. And it can miss a shuffle while you're waiting for it to really pay off. But the potential benefit from Duplicate is great, even without cost reducers. I particularly like calling multiple Duplicates on the same gain.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2015, 11:53:57 am »

I think it would be clearer with no comma, but hey, it's not my game. I understand what the cards are saying, and I'll get used to it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2015, 11:56:10 am »
+1

"When X, you may A to B and C" can be parsed as "When X happens, first I can A to B, and then, regardless of that, I can C." Such is Human Perversity.

Ahhhhhhh, I get it now. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2015, 11:57:02 am »

I don't foresee this comma discussion going anywhere. So hey, how about these great new cards?

I underbuy Duplicate and am generally in the camp that thinks it looks weak. You can call it on the turn you play it, but it hurts your buying power by being a dead terminal that turn. And it can miss a shuffle while you're waiting for it to really pay off. But the potential benefit from Duplicate is great, even without cost reducers. I particularly like calling multiple Duplicates on the same gain.

Also, I would think more control over game ending conditions.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2015, 11:59:16 am »

Ahhhhhhh, I get it now.

Yeah, that convinced me as well.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2015, 12:00:15 pm »
+1

Also, I would think more control over game ending conditions.

"I Stonemason a Hunting Grounds, gaining 3 Duchies, calling 5 Duplicates to gain the rest of the Duchies."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2015, 12:00:26 pm »
+1

On one hand, I understand why people are talking about reserves missing the shuffle as a drawback; it means that you'll play them less than once per shuffle throughout the game. But especially for the terminals, I had thought of "missing the shuffle" as almost a good thing, because it's a card that you don't want in your deck. You want it on the reserve mat. While it's not in your deck, you're not drawing it, so you're drawing cards that are more helpful instead. It's sitting there, not taking up room in your deck, waiting for the time when it's actually good to use.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »
+2

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Think of it like this: the game has these event-triggered "thingies" that say "When X happens, do Y."

Sometimes, one of those thingies lives on a card and it's always there.  Like with Border Village.  "When you gain this, gain something cheaper."  That's easy.

But, sometimes, something creates one of those thingies out of thin air, and, since the thingy doesn't live on a card, it kinda floats around waiting to be triggered. That's what Wharf does.  When you play it, it gives you +2 Cards and +1 Buy, then it creates a floating thingy that says, "At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +1 Buy."  Then Wharf is done; it's resolved (and you can Coin of the Realm it), but the thingy it made is still floating around. Later, an event (the start of your next turn) makes that floating thingy trigger (giving you +2 Cards and +1 Buy).  And, since that event can only happen once (you only have one "next" turn), the thingy can't trigger anymore, so it's effectively gone.

(That's why duration cards usually stay out, by the way: as a courtesy to remind you that they made an invisible floating thingy that's still hanging around waiting to be taken care of.)

Prince also makes one of those floating thingies.  But, unlike Wharf's thingy, Prince's thingy triggers on an event that can recur (the start of each of your turns), so it sticks around (potentially) forever.  But, similar to the Wharf case, Prince was finished resolving after he initially created the perpetual thingy, so you can Coin of the Realm him, too.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2015, 12:10:27 pm »

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

Also wondering about this. I can see good arguments being made for either case.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2015, 12:13:54 pm »
+2

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

The only reasonable answer is yes. Princeing a Guide doesn't work, but if a Guide got played by a Princed card, you'd be able to call that Guide after the Princed card resolved (or after doing some other start-of-turn effects).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2015, 12:16:23 pm »

Was there any thought to making the move to the Tavern mat optional?  I could only think of pretty rare edge cases where you wouldn't want to place it. (You, uh.. need to Prince Guide, which is the only Cantrip on the board, because there are no villages on the board?)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2015, 12:20:39 pm »
+1

hmm

Edit:

Am I crazy? It seems to me like the most logical way for you to activate a reserve card would be for you to click on the tavern mat and then click on the card you want (or maybe an arrow that appears on the bottom right of the card, like the "+ icon" that appears for buying or gaining) in order to activate it when you want to activate it. That would work fine for duplicate in 90% of the cases. No, that doesn't work for cursing attacks. It also doesn't quite work for death cart, since you would have to gain ruins one at a time and could only duplicate them if the next ruin is the same kind. For those cases, the game could offer you a prompt to immediately use your duplicate, but at least then you're not being asked whether to use it on every single gain while you have one in your deck.

However it plays out, it will be funny and a little bit degrading in Mountebank games when it prompts you twice every time you get attacked. Would you like to duplicate that curse? No? Oh, what about this copper?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:22:59 pm by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:38 pm »
+1

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

The only reasonable answer is yes. Princeing a Guide doesn't work, but if a Guide got played by a Princed card, you'd be able to call that Guide after the Princed card resolved (or after doing some other start-of-turn effects).

I think both answers are reasonable. To argue for the other one; Guide wasn't on your Tavern Mat at the start of your turn. So when the list of things that happen at "start of turn" is made, Guide isn't on that list.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2015, 12:24:19 pm »
+5

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

I think both answers are reasonable. To argue for the other one; Guide wasn't on your Tavern Mat at the start of your turn. So when the list of things that happen at "start of turn" is made, Guide isn't on that list.

That's not how Dominion works, though. Your Moat may not be in your hand when somebody plays an Attack card, but if you put one into your hand via Secret Chamber you can still reveal it afterward.

EDIT: Also, you never decide the complete order of simultaneous effects in Dominion before doing them. You do one, then decide which one to do next.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:25:20 pm by LastFootnote »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:04 pm »
+3

Princeing a Guide works too, you just play the Guide once and then it goes on the Tavern Mat then Prince finishes doing it's thing and then you could call it immediately. The Prince is then stuck doing nothing.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:41 pm »

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

Hmm... Prince A, Prince B both set aside.

Resolve Prince A first, say A is Herald.  Play Herald, play Guide.  Now Guide is on your Tavern mat.  You are not done resolving "The start of your turn", so why couldn't you do anything happening at the start of your turn?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2015, 12:26:43 pm »

Princeing a Guide works too, you just play the Guide once and then it goes on the Tavern Mat then Prince finishes doing it's thing and then you could call it immediately. The Prince is then stuck doing nothing.

Well, only the turn after you set it aside.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2015, 12:27:04 pm »
+1

That isn't the Prince "working".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2015, 12:27:18 pm »

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

That's not how Dominion works, though. Your Moat may not be in your hand when somebody plays an Attack card, but if you put one into your hand via Secret Chamber you can still reveal it afterward.

EDIT: Also, you never decide the complete order of simultaneous effects in Dominion before doing them. You do one, then decide which one to do next.

Good call, I'm convinced.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2015, 12:27:26 pm »
+4

Was there any thought to making the move to the Tavern mat optional?  I could only think of pretty rare edge cases where you wouldn't want to place it. (You, uh.. need to Prince Guide, which is the only Cantrip on the board, because there are no villages on the board?)
Probably not. In general I avoid giving people a decision that will almost always go one way. Sometimes other factors push for it to be a decision anyway (e.g. "you may" is shorter than "or reveal a hand with no somethings").

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2015, 12:30:09 pm »
+4

Am I crazy? It seems to me like the most logical way for you to activate a reserve card would be for you to click on the tavern mat and then click on the card you want (or maybe an arrow that appears on the bottom right of the card, like the "+ icon" that appears for buying or gaining) in order to activate it when you want to activate it. That would work fine for duplicate in 90% of the cases. No, that doesn't work for cursing attacks. It also doesn't quite work for death cart, since you would have to gain ruins one at a time and could only duplicate them if the next ruin is the same kind. For those cases, the game could offer you a prompt to immediately use your duplicate, but at least then you're not being asked whether to use it on every single gain while you have one in your deck.
I have one buy, I buy Lab. If the program doesn't pause to let me consider the question of Duplicating or not, then it's on to the next player's turn. So, really, it's no good just letting you click, we have to stop and ask. Just letting you click works for some of them, including Guide and Coin, but not Duplicate.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2015, 12:32:18 pm »

I have one buy, I buy Lab. If the program doesn't pause to let me consider the question of Duplicating or not, then it's on to the next player's turn. So, really, it's no good just letting you click, we have to stop and ask. Just letting you click works for some of them, including Guide and Coin, but not Duplicate.

Opponent plays Witch
*little blue + appears on Curse*

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:13 pm »
+1

That isn't the Prince "working".

It is working in the sense that it does what market squire was asking about, which is all I'm thinking of.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:33 pm »
+5

Was surprised we were on the third page already.  Should have guessed comma's were involved.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2015, 12:38:32 pm »
+11

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2015, 12:38:51 pm »

The "when" clause is parenthetical.  The "to gain blah blah" clause is parenthetical.  "You may call this." is a complete sentence with a subject and verb and no hanging prepositions, that's the only non-parenthetical part left.

Parenthetical clauses don't really have to be grammatically correct, they can hang prepositions or whatever it is about them that upsets you.  So it works.  To the best of my understanding of grammer.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2015, 12:48:41 pm »
+9

And now, the moment you have all been waiting for, again (since yesterday).

How Do These Cards Combo With Scout?

Guide says "At the start of your turn, you may call this, to discard your hand and draw 5 cards." So most of the time, you will be playing either Engine or Big Money, and either way, you will want to call Guide to discard your hand until you get to a hand with at least 3 Scouts. For this reason, Guide gets progressively better when stacked... more Guides, more opportunities to find Scout, etc.

As for Duplicate, there's an important thing you need to know (pro players get this, newbies might not). You can gain a card costing UP to $6. It doesn't HAVE to cost $6. Which means you can gain Scout right off the bat. A lot of players think you have to play 2 Highways or 2 Bridges first, but no. Just gain the second Scout. This combos with strong trashing, so you can get rid of your non-Scout cards.

Coin of the Realm makes for a strong combo with Scout. If you open this/Scout, and then buy nothing but Treasures, you're likely to get half the Provinces in 16-20 Turns. Your opponent really has to race you, if you do this.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2015, 12:49:05 pm »

Parenthetical clauses don't really have to be grammatically correct

I don't know what you mean by this. Of course they do.

Your description of the overall structure of the "you may call this" sentence is spot-on, though.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2015, 12:55:58 pm »
+1

don't really have to be grammatically correct... To the best of my understanding of grammer.

Want to post this in out of context thread, but it would cause an argument :(

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2015, 12:57:16 pm »

"Start of your turn"

You choose!

So my understanding of 'At the start of your turn...' was gather up all the supplies you need to start your turn (Tactician draw, durations, guide redraw, etc.) then when you do Prince's 'start of your turn' you play a card for free. Once you've played a card you are no longer at the start of your turn, but now are in the Action phase. Therefore, I think that you should not be able to call the Guide that you just played via Prince and placed onto the Tavern mat into play because you've played a card, even when playing that card was at the start of your turn. Prince's 'start of your turn' would be the last thing you do before your turn starts, wouldn't it?

But really, the real question here is the lose-track rule. When I play this Guide via prince I place it on the Tavern mat. I have failed to set it aside, so I have to stop playing it with Prince now. When I call my Guide into play, I am not playing it, and so therefore cannot set it aside again with my Prince when I discard it from play, I just have to discard it normally right?

EDIT: I guess it's not the lose-track rule, but simply resolving the instructions on the Prince card. If I am foolish enough to play a Guide with my Prince, unless I immediately call that Guide into play, I can no longer set aside that Guide back to my Prince at the end of my turn.
Seems odd to even want to Prince anything you would only get to play one time.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:28:28 pm by bedlam »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2015, 12:59:14 pm »

So my understanding of 'At the start of your turn...' was gather up all the supplies you need to start your turn (Tactician draw, durations, guide redraw, etc.) then when you do Prince's 'start of your turn' you play a card for free. Once you've played a card you are no longer at the start of your turn, but now are in the Action phase. Therefore, I think that you should not be able to call the Guide that you just played via Prince and placed onto the Tavern mat into play because you've played a card, even when playing that card was at the start of your turn. Prince's 'start of your turn' would be the last thing you do before your turn starts, wouldn't it?

But really, the real question here is the lose-track rule. When I play this Guide via prince I place it on the Tavern mat. I have failed to set it aside, so I have to stop playing it with Prince now. When I call my Guide into play, I am not playing it, and so therefore cannot set it aside again with my Prince when I discard it from play, I just have to discard it normally right?

Seems odd to even want to Prince anything you would only get to play one time.

See my example of two Princes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:03:28 pm by Witherweaver »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:07 pm »

Princing a Guide gives the exact same effect as just playing the Guide, except for moving the +1 Action to another turn.  You sacrifice a card draw on one turn to draw one more on the next.  And all that was worth wasting your Prince?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »

Princing a Guide gives the exact same effect as just playing the Guide, except for moving the +1 Action to another turn.  You sacrifice a card draw on one turn to draw one more on the next.  And all that was worth wasting your Prince?

Interestingly, it's not that hard to think of edge cases for this one. Of course the same could go for Fishing Village or Caravan. But if you know that your next hand will have 2 very important terminals and no Village, you could totally want to do that.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2015, 01:06:20 pm »

Interestingly, it's not that hard to think of edge cases for this one. Of course the same could go for Fishing Village or Caravan. But if you know that your next hand will have 2 very important terminals and no Village, you could totally want to do that.

But in most cases, if you're desperate enough for a village to Prince a cantrip... why not just use Prince as the "village" and Prince your terminals?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »
+1

No, that's not correct. There's a bunch of things you can do "at the start of your turn":

Do the second half of a Duration card
Do the second half of Horse Traders' reaction
Play a Princed card
Call a Guide

These all happen "at the same time", and so you can do them in any order; you can play the Princed card before or after drawing from your Caravan, putting your Horse Traders in hand, etc.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:22 pm »
+1

But in most cases, if you're desperate enough for a village to Prince a cantrip... why not just use Prince as the "village" and Prince your terminals?

Well yeah in most cases it's a bad move. But you can't just Prince your terminals to get around my situation... for one, the terminals are in your next hand, not your current hand. And for another, the Terminals are quite likely to cost more than $4 if they're that important. Also, you pretty much would only do this near the very end of a game, when it's too late to make good use of Prince otherwise. Like if you know you need to play 2 Goons next turn to pile out and win. I'm NOT suggesting buying the Prince with this intent. If you're in this situation, Prince was probably a bad choice.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:10:09 pm by GendoIkari »

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:34 pm »
+1

These cards. Clicking. So....much.....clicking.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »

Phew, glad those are what i expected. I'm okay with events. The Treasure-Village had me worried for a while.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:42 pm »

Phew, glad those are what i expected. I'm okay with events. The Treasure-Village had me worried for a while.

Not too complex for you?  ;)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »

So...time for Card 4 today, right?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2015, 01:54:33 pm »
+1

So...time for Card 4 today, right?

I've been PMing our poster - they should be putting it up soon.

EDIT: In five minutes!

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2015, 01:57:48 pm »

Were the posters announced?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »
+1

I've been PMing our poster - they should be putting it up soon.

EDIT: In five minutes!

I'm just watching the minutes tick down. Doot dee doo…

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:05 pm »

Were the posters announced?

No. Wero and I were just chatting about some of the cards since he knows them from the DC meetup. The rest of the previewers will be a surprise.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:28 pm »
+1

I just had a thought, you could also say: "At (condition), you may Call this to: A, B, and C", or differently depending on your feeling on Oxford commas.  Maybe "At (condition), you may Call this to: A" looks weird but I think it parses fine.  Okay okay, dead horse beat.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2015, 02:04:26 pm »
+4

Guys, cut, this, out, nobody, cares, about, commas,

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2015, 02:05:48 pm »

Guy's, cut, thi's, out, nobody, care's, about, comma's,

!, !

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2015, 02:16:23 pm »

Did anyone bring up Guide-Outpost yet?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2015, 02:16:52 pm »

I did!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2015, 02:20:42 pm »
+5

I did!

I like it.  An Outpost can let you explore distant lands, but those distant lands may be confusing and hard to navigate.  Better if you have a Guide.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2015, 02:25:51 pm »

I did!

I like it.  An Outpost can let you explore distant lands, but those distant lands may be confusing and hard to navigate.  Better if you have a Guide.

I think Guide/Outpost has very positive synergy, but I'm not sure if it fully qualifies as a combo.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2015, 02:33:47 pm »
+1

I did!

I think Guide/Outpost has very positive synergy, but I'm not sure if it fully qualifies as a combo.

I dunno.. you want to have your engine firing even on the Outpost turns.  With a couple of these, you can almost guarantee it.  And you can choose after seeing your hand, of course, so if the three cards can get things going, keep them.  If not, there's a good chance the next five will.  What's the difference between synergy and combo again?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:50 pm »

I did!

I dunno.. you want to have your engine firing even on the Outpost turns.  With a couple of these, you can almost guarantee it.  And you can choose after seeing your hand, of course, so if the three cards can get things going, keep them.  If not, there's a good chance the next five will.  What's the difference between synergy and combo again?

Synergy - they work well together.  Combo - these two cards either win on their own, or are the shining centerpiece of a strategy.  Is Guide/Outpost strong enough to win on its own?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2015, 02:46:14 pm »
+1

Ah, well, no, you need something to do with your Outpost turn.... and something to do with your normal turn.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:00 pm »
+1

I don't mind complexity. I mind when complexity weights heavier than the effect it has. That's not the case with Events Reserve cards, as the same complexity (calling, putting in play without getting the on-play bonus) gets distributed between a bunch of effects. I still stand with specific points i critizised at a certain card before, but that said, maybe i'll grow more fond of it the more of the set gets revealed. It's not like i want every Dominion card to be Village or Smithy.

Edited because i mixed up Reserves with Events. Calling Events seems kind of implausible, too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:57:11 pm by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2015, 02:49:26 pm »
+1

I don't mind complexity. I mind when complexity weights heavier than the effect it has. That's not the case with Events Reserve cards, as the same complexity (calling, putting in play without getting the on-play bonus) gets distributed between a bunch of effects. I still stand with specific points i critizised at a certain card before, but that said, maybe i'll grow more fond of it the more of the set gets revealed. It's not like i want every Dominion card to be Village or Smithy.

Fixed that for you.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »
+2

I don't mind complexity. I mind when complexity weights heavier than the effect it has. That's not the case with Events, as the same complexity (calling, putting in play without getting the on-play bonus) gets distributed between a bunch of effects. I still stand with specific points i critizised at a certain card before, but that said, maybe i'll grow more fond of it the more of the set gets revealed. It's not like i want every Dominion card to be Village or Smithy.

These are not events.  They are reserve cards.  We'll be getting to events soon.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2015, 04:01:47 pm »

Events are still a mystery, as are the new tokens (although they may be linked) and the new Durations.

mborda

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2015, 04:32:32 pm »

So, another use for Coin of the Realm could be a combo with Bank, awaiting for the precise moment where you need $1 more.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »
+6

I am 2 for 2 on predictions!

I figure that Reserve cards will be pretty simple.  I figure they'll be like long-lasting Durations that trigger when you want them to trigger.  That is, when you play a Reserve card, it goes directly to your Reserve mat.  You can play a card from your Reserve mat for free at any time during your turn (other than in the middle of resolving another action, of course).  Maybe some of them will have an effect when you first play them, and maybe some will have a while-in-reserve effect that could be good or bad.

I think my guess was pretty spot-on.  When you play a Reserve card, it goes to the mat.  Some of them have an effect when you first play them (Guide, CotR) while others do not, other than putting them on the mat (Duplicate).  It remains to be seen whether any of them will have a while-in-tavern effect.

It seems to me that Reserve cards will be less about raw power and more about reliability and flexibility.  I think Guide and CotR will be best for keeping an engine running smoothly.  Duplicate is a decent card (usually better than Smugglers, I think, since it gives you greater control over what you gain with it) and making it a Reserve means it doesn't just whiff if you draw it at a bad time.  Transmogrify (the other preview) also lends you the flexibility to do what you want when you want it.

CotR seems like a better implementation of Walled Village, in a way.  Mass Duplicate sounds like it would be extremely fun, especially with cost reduction.

I kind of wish that all the Reserve cards were people, since they go to the tavern to hang out.  CotR kind of works, but Duplicate could have been Sculptor or something!  I guess it works anyway.

I don't like the comma splices either, but oh well.  I agree with LF that it doesn't seem to reduce ambiguity, but Donald's explanation makes sense.  I can't help but think that there could be a better solution.  I think you could just use a colon instead (and I see now that Witherweaver just suggested that same thing), e.g. "At the start of your turn, you may call this: discard your hand and draw 5 cards."  Just in case, you could clarify in the rule book that you don't get any of the stuff after the colon unless you call the card.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2015, 04:36:10 pm »
+3

So... Wait. When i play Reserves, they don't end up in play, but when i don't, they do?

So, i get more for Bank when i pull Coin of the Realm from the Tavern, but not when i actually played the Treasure?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2015, 04:37:22 pm »

So... Wait. When i play Reserves, they don't end up in play, but when i don't, they do?

So, i get more for Bank when i pull Coin of the Realm from the Tavern, but not when i actually played the Treasure?

Bingo.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2015, 04:38:21 pm »
+3

I don't like the comma splices either, but oh well.

(It's not a comma splice)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2015, 04:43:57 pm »

I don't like the comma splices either, but oh well.

(It's not a comma splice)

Uh, OK, I guess not.  I still find it really, really weird to have the independent clause nested between two dependent clauses.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2015, 04:51:37 pm »
+1

Thoughts, in reverse:

Coin of the Realm: I can hardly imagine the game where winning the split is important. The card is real bad to have in your deck (I bought a copper) for the benefit of being on-call-village-but-I-have-to-put-this-back-in-my-deck. Hm. Building an engine where this is the only village seems like it is asking for trouble (sure, there's the rare case where everything else is perfect). I expect this is mostly going to be something you pick up one or maaybe two of on a spare buy/gain, so that you get a touch of extra reliability. I will laugh heartily when someone (probably me) is missing the $1 from this and it costs them.

Duplicate: Gut reaction was that this seemed pretty weak. But thought a little, and man, it just has to be pretty strong. Not a world-beater or anything, as it's still situational. But a very nice role-player. I mean, once I started thinking about it as a Workshop, it seemed a lot better. Just, you always have the option of doubling that buy of yours from the turn. Plus random upside of being able to Island it out of your deck. The bigger thing, of course, is that you can get 5s and 6s. That is just huge. I am going to guess that turn 3-4 is a very normal time to pick this up. You probably want to think about not opening this if there aren't good 3s you want - certainly not if there aren't good 3s or 4s. tracking shuffles is probably going to be important here, and you will want this earlier on in the shuffle, so you can now whether to take it back now, or risk getting something better next turn. Indeed, all of these Reserve cards seem pretty high skill, as you have significant decisions on if/when to buy as well as big, non-trivial play decisions.

Finally, we get to Guide. Oh Guide. The obvious use, to my mind, is that you can grab this with a spare gain to give your engine lots of extra reliability. A couple of these means you almost never dud out, especially given that you can get them back on the mat fairly easily. Hooray. And it counters discard attacks - especially torturer - there's a plus. Combos with Outpost, that is super nice. My thoughts (and somewhat questions) are about other decks though. It doesn't even seem that bad in Big Money, at all. You can cycle through to your good hands. And if there are just cards you want to play a lot, you can cycle through to them. Stash, hey, that's a thing. More than that though, cards like Rebuild or Junkers - flipping through decks there seems real nice, and 3 seems a real low price. I suspect this is the strongest card we've seen so far here?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2015, 04:55:18 pm »
+3

Coin of the Realm: I can hardly imagine the game where winning the split is important. The card is real bad to have in your deck (I bought a copper) for the benefit of being on-call-village-but-I-have-to-put-this-back-in-my-deck. Hm. Building an engine where this is the only village seems like it is asking for trouble (sure, there's the rare case where everything else is perfect). I expect this is mostly going to be something you pick up one or maaybe two of on a spare buy/gain, so that you get a touch of extra reliability. I will laugh heartily when someone (probably me) is missing the $1 from this and it costs them.

Small correction: Coin of the Realm is an on-call-DOUBLE-village-but-I-have-to-put-this-back-in-my-deck

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2015, 04:56:52 pm »
+38

"Oh man, I can't wait to play my first game of Adventures with Cornucopia!"

"Let's see, what's in my hand this turn… Duplicate, Transmogrify, Transmogrify, Menagerie, Fortune Teller. Okay, good thing Transmogrify is non-terminal! I'll play one of those, and then my Menagerie will hit!"

"Hey… why did my Menagerie only draw one card?"

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2015, 04:59:53 pm »
+2

If you have two guides on the mat, can you use one, and then another if you don't like the new hand either?

I totally think that engines with coin of the realm as the only village can work. Just get, say, 4 of them, and switch two out every turn. That's 5 actions a turn. That's the same as fishing village, except with two fewer coins, so okay, not quite as stellar as I thought. But fishing village is crazy good, so there's that. There's the on-call part too, which means that you can maybe get one and just keep it on your mat until you finally need it in a normal engine.

EDIT: Woah, totally thought coin of the realm costed 3. It's barely worse than FV and costs one less! This card is good.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:01:24 pm by liopoil »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:33 pm »

If you have two guides on the mat, can you use one, and then another if you don't like the new hand either?

Absolutely.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2015, 05:03:24 pm »
+1

Tactician does worse than nothing when you play it and costs an action, so this in itself isn't dispositive.
So... Duplicate gives you a double turn? I guess that is sort of the case. But I hope to be doing better than two 6-costs on my tactician turns eventually. But yes, there is more to it of course. I still think it won't be worth the trouble most of the time though.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »
+1

So... Duplicate gives you a double turn? I guess that is sort of the case. But I hope to be doing better than two 6-costs on my tactician turns eventually. But yes, there is more to it of course. I still think it won't be worth the trouble most of the time though.

Duplicate is also cheaper to pick up and less taxing to play than Tactician; it's no surprise that its effect is weaker.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2015, 05:04:51 pm »

Yeah, yeah, the double village thing makes CotR a lot better and more interesting. I still don't think it will be great, but solid at the right time, sure. That is a lot of actions.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2015, 05:09:56 pm »
+2

Yeah, yeah, the double village thing makes CotR a lot better and more interesting. I still don't think it will be great, but solid at the right time, sure. That is a lot of actions.

It also lets you play terminal draw blindly. If my Smithy draws actions, I call CotR; if it didn't, I save CotR for another time.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2015, 05:57:21 pm »

It also lets you play terminal draw blindly. If my Smithy draws actions, I call CotR; if it didn't, I save CotR for another time.

Well yeah, that was the original use for it I had described.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2015, 05:57:42 pm »
+4

Hey, we're much more productive than BGG. Their discussion about Transmogrify is only about the comma :P

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2015, 05:59:38 pm »

Hey, we're much more productive than BGG. Their discussion about Transmogrify is only about the comma :P

Yeah, I noticed that. Oh well!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2015, 06:03:55 pm »
+1

Cross-posting!

Bonnie Tyler is clearly a lezzy
I'm only giving you one +1.  :P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:29:37 pm by werothegreat »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2015, 06:08:06 pm »

Cross-posting!
(snip)

Ahhhh shoot, I cross-posted to the wrong thread.  I removed my post, would you mind snipping yours too?  :-[

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2015, 06:13:18 pm »
+3

Besides, guys, you're really missing the best reason to not be unhappy when I post predictions you're sure are super wrong: in the future, we can all laugh at how stupid I was.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2015, 06:13:25 pm »

Cross-posting!
(snip)

Ahhhh shoot, I cross-posted to the wrong thread.  I removed my post, would you mind snipping yours too?  :-[

Nah, I got a +1.  :)

Besides, guys, you're really missing the best reason to not be unhappy when I post predictions you're sure are super wrong: in the future, we can all laugh at how stupid I was.

I do find it amusing that the card you think is the strongest so far is Guide.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »
+1

You want Duplicate whenever there are 5- or 6-cost engine pieces you want a lot of. That happens pretty often!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »
+1

Cross-posting!
(snip)

That +1 is from me!  I'm just asking you to snip, not to delete the post entirely. :P

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2015, 06:22:04 pm »

You want Duplicate whenever there are 5- or 6-cost engine pieces you want a lot of. That happens pretty often!

It can also double you up on Harems, Nobles, Border Villages...  It's like a Stonemason!  Without the Stonemason.  And better.

Cross-posting!
(snip)

That +1 is from me!  I'm just asking you to snip, not to delete the post entirely. :P

Changed it.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:24:23 pm by werothegreat »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »

Is there a harder counter to Ghost Ship in the game than Guide?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2015, 06:25:24 pm »
+13

Moat?

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2015, 06:27:02 pm »
+1

I don't think you have been super wrong here at all.

predicting Coin of the Realm is not as strong as some people make you believe -> I agree.
predicting Duplicate isn't as weak as some people said -> I agree.
predicting guide is the strongest card yet revealed -> I think Magpie is stronger. To me guide feels very much like scheme. Both in function and in power level. It has a bit more synergies though.

All 3 are great additions to Dominion, from a design point of view.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2015, 06:29:37 pm »
+2

Moat?

You would have gotten a +1 if that was actually true. But in fact Guide is better against Ghost Ship than Moat.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2015, 07:17:36 pm »
+2

Moat?

You would have gotten a +1 if that was actually true. But in fact Guide is better against Ghost Ship than Moat.

It's better, but not harder.  Give the man his +1.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2015, 07:58:18 pm »
+2

Is there a better counter to Ghost Ship in the game than Guide?

Arctic Penguin

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2015, 08:24:12 pm »

Do Reserve cards still hanging out in the Tavern go back into your deck at the end of the game to count for Vineyards, Fairgrounds, and Gardens?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2015, 08:27:56 pm »
+4

Do Reserve cards still hanging out in the Tavern go back into your deck at the end of the game to count for Vineyards, Fairgrounds, and Gardens?

Yes. All of your set aside cards go to your deck at the end of the game. Island and Native Village say it on the card, but they don't need to.

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »

Question: regarding duplicate, when you gain a card that isn't in the supply (i.e. spoils), then can you gain another? (My guess is no, but this seems blue dog-y enough to warrant asking)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2015, 09:04:00 pm »
+1

Is my reasoning on this correct?

I play Black Market, and as part of playing that I play Coin of the Realm for $1, and it goes in my Tavern. Then, Black Market finishes resolving, so I have the option of calling the Coin, thus giving me +2 Actions.

If that's right, then CotR is a very cute BM-double-Tac enabler.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2015, 09:06:35 pm »
+1

Question: regarding duplicate, when you gain a card that isn't in the supply (i.e. spoils), then can you gain another? (My guess is no, but this seems blue dog-y enough to warrant asking)

No, you cannot.

Is my reasoning on this correct?

I play Black Market, and as part of playing that I play Coin of the Realm for $1, and it goes in my Tavern. Then, Black Market finishes resolving, so I have the option of calling the Coin, thus giving me +2 Actions.

If that's right, then CotR is a very cute BM-double-Tac enabler.

That's all correct. It's the one interaction that foils my tracking fix! Curse you, Black Market!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2015, 09:10:13 pm »

I wonder if there will be any Reserve cards that allow you to draw cards after discarding to Tactician...

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2015, 09:26:31 pm »
+5

I really like guide
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2015, 09:28:18 pm »
+3

I really like guide

That's, uh... quite a contribution you made there.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 31, 2015, 09:32:05 pm »

I really like guide

That's, uh... quite a contribution you made there.

More than I made for the last set of cards.  But really, I like the idea of having one or two guides in reserve.  You don't need more than that, but preventing a dud hand can be all the difference in a game
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 31, 2015, 09:35:41 pm »

Duplicate and coin of the realm....not as excited there.  Reserve actions are cool and all, but if you are building an engine, it is probably not going to be necessary most of the time and I just don't see myself getting it.  Well, on an odd 2 with a +buy if there isn't anything better.

But I am much more of a learn by playing the cards type of person.  I feel like it is difficult to really rate cards in the middle (which is what these are.  They aren't must-buys to me (at first glance)) because they are so dependent on the board. 

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:57 pm »
+1

If Duplicate were a fan card, I'd say it seems balanced but a little boring. Smugglers and Feast do similar things, and Duplicate lacks (IMO) the oomph that makes cards fun. The art is great though, same for Storyteller, Magpie, Lost City, Transmogrify. Guide seems pretty fun because of how reliable it is (another way to make shuffle luck) and I think Coin of the Realm is an ingenious way to have a treasure village and fix the ever-frustrating problem of terminal collision.

Looking out to be a great set overall; Can't wait to see the rest!

P.S. this will probably be the first expansion I buy - I can't help but think of this in terms of core set synergies.

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 31, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »

If there were traveler--reserve cards.......*shiver*. And I thought King's Court chains were bad IRL.....

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2015, 09:42:55 pm »

CotR (coin of the realm) is really mixing up in my brain with CotR (Cardboard of the Rings)

7string

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: 7string
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »
+1

I'm really loving the concept of the new Reserve cards and the Tavern mat.  Since I've mostly been playing IRL games the last few months, I see it opening whole new vistas for the social aspect of the game...  Put a card in the tavern and take a shot.  Take a card out of the tavern and each other player takes a shot (celebrating you leaving the bar to them).  At the end of the game the winner is the first person who can intelligibly say "transmogrify" 5 times quickly...or spell it backwards without looking.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2015, 10:14:51 pm »
+1

Moat?

This isn't always true. Guide is great if you have 2 good cards and a few bad cards. If your hand is mostly good card, then Moat should be better than Guide. To use Guide against Ghost Ship means all but 2 cards from your hand miss the shuffle.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:26 pm »

Moat?

This isn't always true. Guide is great if you have 2 good cards and a few bad cards. If your hand is mostly good card, then Moat should be better than Guide. To use Guide against Ghost Ship means all but 2 cards from your hand miss the shuffle.
That or you have a very large hand due to opposing Council Rooms or Lost City gains or Soothsayers.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2015, 10:52:44 pm »
+4

Duplicate and coin of the realm....not as excited there.  Reserve actions are cool and all, but if you are building an engine, it is probably not going to be necessary most of the time and I just don't see myself getting it.  Well, on an odd 2 with a +buy if there isn't anything better.

But I am much more of a learn by playing the cards type of person.  I feel like it is difficult to really rate cards in the middle (which is what these are.  They aren't must-buys to me (at first glance)) because they are so dependent on the board.

Dude, no need to be so verbose.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:35 am »

My thoughts:

Coin of the Realm: Pretty handy. I will probably want one or two in my deck. It's nice when your terminals collides.

Guide: Awesome! Who doesn't love skipping crap hands

Duplicate: This is pretty cool. And, no, it doesn't have to miss your reshuffle since you can call it the turn you play it. The ability to gain six costs is pretty good. Smugglers does it, but man, if your opponent is going for a different strategy than you, bah humbug.

Transmogrify: The thought of upgrading a Fortress to a $5 cost makes me salivate.

Anyway, the cards in Adventures seem really well designed. This set seems very solid. Also, reserve cards add a lot more strategy to the game. Now, you have to think of when to call your card and then you have to think that if you don't call your card at a certain point then it will miss the shuffle. This seems to add even more decision making than coin tokens, I think.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2015, 04:26:15 am »

I wonder if there will be any Reserve cards that allow you to draw cards after discarding to Tactician...

Well... You can Prince a Throne Room and play Tactician with it, which still happens at the start of your turn. Not as practicable, though.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2015, 02:20:02 pm »

I remember playing with two of these cards! Coin I used in a terminal draw engine to increase reliability and Duplicate I used in the same engine just to gain the terminal draw card.

Reserve cards are delayed by nature; it's not likely that you'll be able to play Duplicate and gain a $5 or $6 cost card on that turn if it's early in the game. Similarly, I don't think it's possible to build an engine with Coin as the sole source of +action unless there's the strongest trashing.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

Yes. All of your set aside cards go to your deck at the end of the game. Island and Native Village say it on the card, but they don't need to.

Don't Island and Native Village need to say that? I don't remember the rulebooks saying anything other than putting your discard pile into your deck at the end of the game. (Adventures may explicitly say this for Reserve cards.)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2015, 02:56:09 pm »
+5

Don't Island and Native Village need to say that?
No, it's just there to try to be helpful.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2015, 03:27:04 pm »
+1

Don't Island and Native Village need to say that? I don't remember the rulebooks saying anything other than putting your discard pile into your deck at the end of the game. (Adventures may explicitly say this for Reserve cards.)

You also have set-aside Durations, cards under Haven, Prince, etc; that are still "in your deck" when the game ends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2015, 03:27:48 pm »

Apparently the key word was try, since it lead to endless questions about cards that don't say that. Of course, if Island didn't say it, then everyone would be asking that question about Island instead.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2015, 03:44:15 pm »

Hmm, OK. I think I'm still confused why it's not technically necessary, but I will ponder and take this elsewhere. It was never confusing that they should all count at the end of the game, so it's not a real issue.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2015, 03:52:10 pm »
+4

Hmm, OK. I think I'm still confused why it's not technically necessary, but I will ponder and take this elsewhere. It was never confusing that they should all count at the end of the game, so it's not a real issue.

It's stated in the base rulebook under the game end:

"Each player puts all of his cards into his Deck and counts the victory points on all the cards he has."

It should be clear that cards that you have set aside in one way or another are still "your cards."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2015, 03:54:15 pm »
+8

Although I do wonder what Island would be like if it didn't get returned to your deck at the end. So like if it just trashed a card and itself when you played it. Of course, this version should probably have a different cost. Maybe it could cost a treasure that trashes itself when played also, to keep with the theme.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 01, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »
+4

Although I do wonder what Island would be like if it didn't get returned to your deck at the end. So like if it just trashed a card and itself when you played it. Of course, this version should probably have a different cost. Maybe it could cost a treasure that trashes itself when played also, to keep with the theme.

BOMB!!!!!!!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »

hmm

Edit:

However it plays out, it will be funny and a little bit degrading in Mountebank games when it prompts you twice every time you get attacked. Would you like to duplicate that curse? No? Oh, what about this copper?

Here's the way. You have a notice saying "You may duplicate X, you may play Coin of the Realm", etc. lying around when it's possible to play the card. The tavern mat can also glow slightly if you really want to make sure everyone knows what to do, but don't have people click yes or no to something. Ugh, no. Just show it can be done with a notice, while enabling you to completely ignore it and play on.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:54:12 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 01, 2015, 04:53:21 pm »
+10

BOMB!!!!!!!

Bomb Action Card - Cost: 1 Gunpowder
Trash a card from your hand then trash this card.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:18:20 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Mole5000

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:28 am »

So this might see a brandead obvious thing to say but all the reserve cards we've seen so far it feels like having multiples of them on your tavern mat is not just a linear increase in utility - having 1 guide is handy, having multiple guides lets you control your reshuffle with extra precision, having multiple duplicates suddenly gives your 3 pile control etc.  So it it seems that strategies based around gaining/playing multiples of them at the same time will be important to consider when reserves are around.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2015, 09:09:28 am »

So this might see a brandead obvious thing to say but all the reserve cards we've seen so far it feels like having multiples of them on your tavern mat is not just a linear increase in utility - having 1 guide is handy, having multiple guides lets you control your reshuffle with extra precision, having multiple duplicates suddenly gives your 3 pile control etc.  So it it seems that strategies based around gaining/playing multiples of them at the same time will be important to consider when reserves are around.

You definitely will want multiple copies of Reserves; there's no way they can collide, anyway.  At least, once they're Reserved.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:55 am »
+3

You definitely will want multiple copies of Reserves; there's no way they can collide, anyway.  At least, once they're Reserved.

Unless they drink too much in the Tavern.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2015, 11:12:25 am »
+2

Well, when I look at the image struck onto the Coin of the Realm, I think I see a Village or City (originally, I thought it was actually the Lost City, but it doesn't seem to match).

I thought that was a nice touch.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2015, 03:16:37 pm »

Gimmicky guide/stash deck: Trash down (with say chapel), gain four stashes, use guides to skip your green cards, put stash on top of your deck every turn (or if you can't get a clean reshuffle, put the stashes wherever a single guide can skip to them.) My guess is this will usually be slow, but could it ever work?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2015, 03:19:17 pm »

Gimmicky guide/stash deck: Trash down (with say chapel), gain four stashes, use guides to skip your green cards, put stash on top of your deck every turn (or if you can't get a clean reshuffle, put the stashes wherever a single guide can skip to them.) My guess is this will usually be slow, but could it ever work?

Sounds more difficult to set up and less reliable than Scavenger/Stash or even Chancellor/Stash, which aren't all that amazing anyway.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2015, 11:44:20 pm »

Well, when I look at the image struck onto the Coin of the Realm, I think I see a Village or City (originally, I thought it was actually the Lost City, but it doesn't seem to match).

I thought that was a nice touch.

Looks more like a castle to me.

I like how dynamic the art on Guide is.
She's clearly saying "whoa, stop, you do not want to go this way".

As for the Duplicate art, am I the only one that's noticed that the sculptor hasn't got enough stone to carve the spear?
I suppose maybe the spear gets carved separately and then slides into place, but that seems like more trouble than its worth.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2015, 12:10:53 am »

As for the Duplicate art, am I the only one that's noticed that the sculptor hasn't got enough stone to carve the spear?
I suppose maybe the spear gets carved separately and then slides into place, but that seems like more trouble than its worth.

I noticed.

I assume the spear is not made of stone. That would be incredibly fragile.

Xian

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »

I just read again Donaldīs introduction to Reserve cards and now Iīm a bit confused.
He writes:
Adventures introduces Reserve cards. They go on a Tavern mat. (...)
and then, explaining a combo with Hero
ou draw your two Heroes together, play one, call the Coin, and play the other one. You can also use Hero to gain a Coin. Will the other Reserve cards all be combos with Hero? *checks...* No. Not all of them.
So my question is: when you gain a Reserve card - does it go to the Tavern mat (wating immediately for its first activation) or do they behave like normal cards on gaining?
Gaining to the Tavern mat would allow a combo with Hero (gaining a Coin Of The Realm to the Tavern mat - directly calling it afterwards - then play eg. a 2nd Hero).
Normal gaining would alloe no special combo with Hero (at least not more special than eg. with Smithy which is of course fun ;))

So I would be very happy about a clarification about this - thx in advance.
Thereīs three kinds of mathematicians: Those who can count and those who canīt.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2015, 01:46:50 pm »
+1

They do not go straight to your mat when you gain them. By default they go to your discard pile.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »
+2

He's talking about 2 separate synergies there. 1 is that Hero is terminal, so Coin of the Realm allows you to play multiple in a turn. The other is that Hero can gain a Coin of the Realm. He did NOT mean to say that you can use Hero to gain a Coin, then call that same Coin to play a second hero.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 20 queries.