Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Author Topic: Features Thread  (Read 107481 times)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Features Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2015, 05:07:28 am »

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but has Linux support been confirmed yet? I would have no way of playing otherwise.

At the very least you should be able to able to play in a browser, because we'll target Unity 5's WebGL build, which just needs any browser supporting WebGL and asm.js.

Incidentally, ignore anything you read about the Unity webplayer and Linux, because that's old tech. It's based on the Netscape plugin API which is being phased out in browsers these days due to the security holes it creates.

Sweet!  The post I read about you guys using webplayer was months ago, if you've decided to step up to WebGL that's great news for us Linux users!

Due to your guys' interest in this, we tried creating a native build for Linux for the first time today. It works.
theblankman, if you would like to beta-test (really alpha-test) the Linux build, please message me with your email.

If you need some more people to install a Linux version I would volunteer, but I don't have so much time to play and test, so if you want to limit your alpha-users, you better might take someone else.. ;)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2015, 08:22:23 am »

Thank you Blank Man for your detailed reply.

I do have goko now it definitely makes the game so much better. You are right everything will work much better with a matchmaking system. I changed my avatar - but really only serious insiders will know that you need a small file that is a png, and most people wouldn't know how to do that anyway. I am quite ok to be kicked out of a game now, but my first day at dominion it was weirdly demoralizing. I think whoever made goko salvager did a bangup job, it greatly improves the game, I was just surprised they haven't changed the "this person has kicked you out" language, it's so intimidating and would be so easy to change.

How did you know I found the league? You are really paying attention  :)

Catgirl, you can use the following thread to mention how the current auto kick feature is demoralizing for new players. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8163.0

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2015, 01:04:19 pm »

Thank you Blank Man for your detailed reply.

I do have goko now it definitely makes the game so much better. You are right everything will work much better with a matchmaking system. I changed my avatar - but really only serious insiders will know that you need a small file that is a png, and most people wouldn't know how to do that anyway. I am quite ok to be kicked out of a game now, but my first day at dominion it was weirdly demoralizing. I think whoever made goko salvager did a bangup job, it greatly improves the game, I was just surprised they haven't changed the "this person has kicked you out" language, it's so intimidating and would be so easy to change.

How did you know I found the league? You are really paying attention  :)

Total coincidence, the board shows newest post in each forum, happened to be yours in the Events/etc one right before I came to check in on this thread, and your name is all caps so it's noticeable. 

The "you have been kicked out" popup is Goko's, I don't think Salvager could've easily changed the wording on it.  I agree that in the new version, however you find games, the language when someone declines to play with you should be milder.  Salvager does have an option to explain its auto-kicks in the lobby chat, that's the best we could do, so if you see a chat like, "CATGIRL: Sorry theblankman, my rating limit is 9000," that's from Salvager.  The problem with using the public lobby chat for that purpose is that it got kind of spammy, so most people turned that option off. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 01:18:37 pm by theblankman »
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2015, 01:43:39 pm »

Hi BeyondAwesome and GeoLib

Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

I seriously didn't think anyone would still be reading here, the thread post is so long. I'm really impressed with how dedicated everyone is here, and it's nice to know what is in the works upcoming. See you on the outpost when dawn's redrose fingers first touch the sky...

cat girl

Threads get way longer than this... http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11642

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but has Linux support been confirmed yet? I would have no way of playing otherwise.

At the very least you should be able to able to play in a browser, because we'll target Unity 5's WebGL build, which just needs any browser supporting WebGL and asm.js.

Incidentally, ignore anything you read about the Unity webplayer and Linux, because that's old tech. It's based on the Netscape plugin API which is being phased out in browsers these days due to the security holes it creates.

Sweet!  The post I read about you guys using webplayer was months ago, if you've decided to step up to WebGL that's great news for us Linux users!

Due to your guys' interest in this, we tried creating a native build for Linux for the first time today. It works.
theblankman, if you would like to beta-test (really alpha-test) the Linux build, please message me with your email.

I also run linux if you guys want more testers. I haven't played in a little while, but the semester will be over in a couple weeks, so I'll probably be back to lots of dominioning.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2015, 06:01:50 pm »
+5

All the important stuff has been said, and it's great to see that there's a dialogue going here. My top priority is how long it takes to get into a game. I guess automatch will fix this. And for some reason the lack of buttons for Watchtower particularly annoys me, probably because it seems like an easy fix. But I don't want to just repeat things, so here are a couple other things I didn't see yet in this thread:

When I play with friends who are new to Dominion, they wish they could see the whole card in the Supply because they don't know what they do. The art is not as useful to them during their Buy phase as the card text would be. I know you don't have room for the whole card, but maybe let people pick whether they see the top half or the bottom half? Or have the art switch to card text on hover so you don't have to click through them all?

It would be nice if the Estates stayed by the other Victory cards in Platinum/Colony games.

There should be (or maybe there already is and I just can't find it) a list of known rules bugs, not pages of forum-style bug reports to search through. Whenever Band of Misfits/Herbalist shows up, I think, do I risk it? I wonder if they've fixed this...

I really appreciate that you're taking the time to fix everything properly and not just rushing out Adventures. Thanks!

Lord Humanton

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2015, 02:35:45 am »
+8

It would be nice if the Estates stayed by the other Victory cards in Platinum/Colony games.
Not a biggie, but this one will be in the new version.

There should be (or maybe there already is and I just can't find it) a list of known rules bugs, not pages of forum-style bug reports to search through. Whenever Band of Misfits/Herbalist shows up, I think, do I risk it? I wonder if they've fixed this...
Okay, I will compile a single list and post it.

Lord Humanton

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2015, 04:00:57 am »
+12

crlundy, I just posted a list of rules issues:
http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?6501-Known-Discrepancies-between-Dominion-Online-and-the-Official-Rules&p=33111#post33111
It's actually a bit off-topic for this thread because the game server/AI is the one area of the system we are not tackling for the version 2 release.

I've got 15 items, including Band of Misfits + Herbalist. Someone please tell me what I forgot (ideally with a link to another forum discussion!) and I'll add it.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2015, 11:47:50 am »
+5

http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?6501-Known-Discrepancies-between-Dominion-Online-and-the-Official-Rules&p=33111#post33111
It's actually a bit off-topic for this thread because the game server/AI is the one area of the system we are not tackling for the version 2 release.

I've got 15 items, including Band of Misfits + Herbalist. Someone please tell me what I forgot (ideally with a link to another forum discussion!) and I'll add it.

Thank you for compiling the list. That's great!

The last bug is not quite right. You don't trash to the discard pile, for one (I'm guessing that's a typo). Trashing is atomic, so you trash all the cards at once, however your opponent can see every card you trash regardless because the trash is public information. So the real difference is that all the on-trash effects should trigger simultaneously, nothing to do with what your opponent can see.

Discarding to e.g. Torturer, however, you should be able to choose your two cards and then discard them together so your opponent can only see one. I think the way to do this is to have people click on things which go up into a box on the top and then have a button to discard/trash them all at once. If they want, they can rearrange things in this box (for discarding), but they aren't forced to choose an order every time (because you almost never care). They could also click on things in this box to move them back to hand (so they haven't committed to anything until they hit the trash/discard button).

Another feature request: I want to be able to see all of my opponents information at once. Currently, if I expand out their deck area so I can see how many cards and coin tokens they have, it covers the actions/buys/coins area, which is really annoying.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2015, 12:01:39 pm »
+11

Another feature request: I want to be able to see all of my opponents information at once. Currently, if I expand out their deck area so I can see how many cards and coin tokens they have, it covers the actions/buys/coins area, which is really annoying.

Quoting to give this more attention. It's something quite annoying but so old I'd given up on the idea it could be fixed.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2015, 12:17:36 pm »
+1

Hermit should not trigger (to become Madman) if you bought a card with Black Market. Currently done wrong by Dominion online: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11911.msg480415#msg480415

Lord Humanton

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2015, 01:42:07 pm »
+1

The last bug is not quite right. You don't trash to the discard pile, for one (I'm guessing that's a typo). Trashing is atomic, so you trash all the cards at once, however your opponent can see every card you trash regardless because the trash is public information. So the real difference is that all the on-trash effects should trigger simultaneously, nothing to do with what your opponent can see.

Discarding to e.g. Torturer, however, you should be able to choose your two cards and then discard them together so your opponent can only see one. I think the way to do this is to have people click on things which go up into a box on the top and then have a button to discard/trash them all at once. If they want, they can rearrange things in this box (for discarding), but they aren't forced to choose an order every time (because you almost never care). They could also click on things in this box to move them back to hand (so they haven't committed to anything until they hit the trash/discard button).

Oops, I've corrected this. It got convoluted because the originally ticket was about being able to select multiple cards with trashing. The ultimate fix should change trashing, discarding, and putting back cards, but it's only discarding that applies to this particular list.

Lord Humanton

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2015, 01:50:49 pm »
+2

Hermit should not trigger (to become Madman) if you bought a card with Black Market. Currently done wrong by Dominion online: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11911.msg480415#msg480415

Thanks. I've added this.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2015, 02:24:05 pm »
+1

Quoting to give this more attention. It's something quite annoying but so old I'd given up on the idea it could be fixed.

I would still love to have some keyboard shortcuts for things like expanding or collapsing all opponents' info at once.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 26, 2015, 04:42:29 pm »
+1

I would still love to have some keyboard shortcuts for things like expanding or collapsing all opponents' info at once.

I'd probably use keyboard shortcuts if they existed but I find in general as an app developer that they're are an "advanced user" thing; i.e. people look for them after they're very familiar with the rest of the UI and want to speed up their interactions.  So I'd understand if MF makes that low priority.  That said, if MF takes the earlier request from AI, myself and others to make Dominion 2.0 extensible and/or open-source the client, then "advanced user" features like keyboard shortcuts would be just the thing for a potential "Salvager 2.0" to provide. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 26, 2015, 06:20:51 pm »
+2

Expanding upon some of this, this is really important. It is super easy to accidentally trash or discard a card currently. Also, you don't choose one card at a time. They are chosen all at once. So, there should be a confirm button and you should be able to click to select/deselect cards that you want to trash or discard so you don't accidentally trash/discard something important.

Lord Humanton

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2015, 11:28:03 am »
+1

Correction: I found out I was mistaken about one thing. Internet Explorer 11 supports webGL and asm.js, but doesn't support the Web Audio API that the Unity webGL uses. Therefore, if we want to support IE, we might have to additionally support the old webplayer, at least until IE steps up or gets replaced entirely by Spartan. The webplayer itself won't run any longer in Chrome as of this month:
http://www.infoq.com/news/2015/04/chrome-42-npapi

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2015, 02:52:57 pm »

Correction: I found out I was mistaken about one thing. Internet Explorer 11 supports webGL and asm.js, but doesn't support the Web Audio API that the Unity webGL uses. Therefore, if we want to support IE, we might have to additionally support the old webplayer, at least until IE steps up or gets replaced entirely by Spartan. The webplayer itself won't run any longer in Chrome as of this month:

So... we have to play in Firefox?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2015, 02:58:17 pm »

This is already true for me! I use Chrome normally and Firefox for MF Goko DomO. there was an unresolvable security reason that stopped it from working in Chrome.

I feel like I am ahead of the curve, having disabled Java in Chrome long ago to avoid getting malware, which I got just before doing that. However there are sure lots of websites that use it.

Lord Humanton

• Dominion Online Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2015, 05:38:31 pm »
+2

You'd have to play in either Firefox or Chrome (for the webgl build) or IE 11 (for the webplayer build), unless your operating system happened to be Linux, OSX, or Windows, in which case you could use a native build.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:40:31 pm by Lord Humanton »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2015, 05:50:47 pm »

You'd have to play in either Firefox or Chrome (for the webgl build) or IE 11 (for the webplayer build), unless your operating system happened to be Linux, OSX, or Windows, in which case you could use a native build.

All aboard!

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2015, 06:06:30 pm »
+1

This has been on my mind a lot, but if Events end up on page 2, it can be super easy to forget they are there or even to check for Events. My suggestions is to shrink the border size of Events so they are the same as the other cards, cropping out part of the picture. However, when people click on the Event, they can see the full-size thing.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2015, 06:21:29 pm »
+4

This has been on my mind a lot, but if Events end up on page 2, it can be super easy to forget they are there or even to check for Events. My suggestions is to shrink the border size of Events so they are the same as the other cards, cropping out part of the picture. However, when people click on the Event, they can see the full-size thing.

How about this:

For PC users, just use the entire screen.  Fit everything.

For mobile users, put ALL cards on a separate screen, and have the primary screen be your play area, hand, trash, other players, etc.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2015, 10:51:30 am »
+9

If Events are on Page 2, it will mean something has gone horribly wrong.

DavidTheDavid

• Dominion Online Staff
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2015, 12:08:41 pm »
+6

How about this:

For mobile users, put ALL cards on a separate screen, and have the primary screen be your play area, hand, trash, other players, etc.

From the latest version that I saw, the installed app for PC lets you play on a fixed, full-screen or in windowed mode. I was testing some things, so I used windowed mode so that I could go to my document and then the game without issue. In full-screen, if I tabbed away to another window, the game minimized. I was running on a split screen (which worked great) so with my large monitor, the game was fine in windowed mode.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2015, 12:11:32 pm »

How about this:

From the latest version that I saw, the installed app for PC lets you play on a fixed, full-screen or in windowed mode. I was testing some things, so I used windowed mode so that I could go to my document and then the game without issue. In full-screen, if I tabbed away to another window, the game minimized. I was running on a split screen (which worked great) so with my large monitor, the game was fine in windowed mode.

...and did everything fit on one page?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 20 queries.