Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Previews #1 - Lost City, Magpie, Hero  (Read 89600 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #1 - Lost City, Magpie, Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 10:57:06 am »
+3

Yeah, I guess Goko will need to add a 3rd page.

Hey now, don't get too excited.  Adding a third page could take them months.

I assume that it just automatically uses more pages. You can test it now; a third page is already possible with Prizes, Spoils, Black Market, Young Witch, Madman, Mercenary, and Ruins.

EDIT: I tested it, and yes, three pages work fine now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:04:23 am by LastFootnote »

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 10:57:54 am »
+1

And all that upgradable cards don't look cool with Swindler around

Why?

I mean, sure, you'd almost always prefer not to get a card swindled. But why would it be particularly bad for the Travellers?
We know from the preview that Page costs $2 and Hero costs $5. So the other three ones are probably $3, $4 and $6. I would assume these prices are supposed to roughly reflect not only the strength of their one-time effect, but also the potential of exchanging them. (Or aren't they, Donald?)

So sure, getting your Page swindled into an Estate early hurts a lot. But that's the same as with (almost) any other $2 card. Getting f. e. a Silver for a $3 Treasure Hunter doesn't sound particularly bad. And with the $5 Hero, it will depend on how early they are hit just as with most of the $5 cards - swindling them early hurts a lot, but later on Duchies are not so bad and most other $5 cards usually aren't, either.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 10:58:25 am »

The "upgrade chain" (Traveller type) cards changed a whole lot from the Chicago meetup, wow.

No kiddin', dang.  I think I personally liked the old version better but that's entirely because I like overly complicated things.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 10:59:17 am »
+1

The "upgrade chain" (Traveller type) cards changed a whole lot from the Chicago meetup, wow.

No kiddin', dang.  I think I personally liked the old version better but that's entirely because I like overly complicated things.

I hope this will all be revealed in the Secret History.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 10:59:30 am »
+2

And all that upgradable cards don't look cool with Swindler around

Why?

I mean, sure, you'd almost always prefer not to get a card swindled. But why would it be particularly bad for the Travellers?
We know from the preview that Page costs $2 and Hero costs $5. So the other three ones are probably $3, $4 and $6. I would assume these prices are supposed to roughly reflect not only the strength of their one-time effect, but also the potential of exchanging them. (Or aren't they, Donald?)

So sure, getting your Page swindled into an Estate early hurts a lot. But that's the same as with (almost) any other $2 card. Getting f. e. a Silver for a $3 Treasure Hunter doesn't sound particularly bad. And with the $5 Hero, it will depend on how early they are hit just as with most of the $5 cards - swindling them early hurts a lot, but later on Duchies are not so bad and most other $5 cards usually aren't, either.

It's bad, man. Maybe you really want that Hero (it's a Platinum game or something). If your Warrior gets Swindled and you don't already have some other Travellers, you've been set back a few shuffles.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 10:59:50 am »
+1

I find it interesting that Magpie doesn't gain another Magpie if a Curse is revealed.

Query: is exchanging considered gaining?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2015, 11:01:34 am »

Is Magpie one of the 12-card piles?

Donald said there's only 10.

R.I.F.   ;D
12 card piles are usually victory cards. Unless Donald X is doing something crazy instead...
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 11:01:59 am »
+4

Okay so since we refer to them as Urchin/Mercenary and Hermit/Madman, do we now have Page/Treasure Hunter/Warrior/Hero/Champion and Peasant/Soldier/Fugitive/Disciple/Teacher, or simply Page and Peasant? If the latter, will that cause us to refer to them simply as Urchin and Hermit?

I dunno about the other testers but I refer to them as the Page line and the Peasant line.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 11:02:58 am »

The new cards are way cooler. Hero is just the the simplest Traveller upgrade.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 11:06:22 am »
+2

Okay so since we refer to them as Urchin/Mercenary and Hermit/Madman, do we now have Page/Treasure Hunter/Warrior/Hero/Champion and Peasant/Soldier/Fugitive/Disciple/Teacher, or simply Page and Peasant? If the latter, will that cause us to refer to them simply as Urchin and Hermit?
Page Line and Peasant Line should describe the chain well enough. Now we know what the big arrows mentioned in the teasers are. I was worried they would be weird add-on effects like the city cards in Innovation.

Really excited for all these cards. Lost City should lead to new Dominion puzzles. You can do a lot of those Rats pileout and upgrade shenanigans with Magpie. Plus it's a vagrant that can  pick up those yellow curses. Speaking of yellow curses, Hero's effect is one I was hoping to see on a card for awhile, but not being able to buy it directly should help the effect be balanced.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25649
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 11:09:02 am »
+4

Query: is exchanging considered gaining?
Exchanging is not gaining.

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2015, 11:10:06 am »

Would exchanging rule out scheme shenanigans like with hermit?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 11:11:30 am »
+4

I hope this will all be revealed in the Secret History.
Yes, all will be revealed. The original version was way too slow, and also having the cards all be vanilla wasn't great. The new version is fast and the cards are way more interesting. Anyway, there is a secret history, that is where the secret history will be told.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2015, 11:12:24 am »
+4

Why can't I preorder yet :'( TAKE MY MONEY DONALD
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2015, 11:12:30 am »

Maybe you really want that Hero (it's a Platinum game or something).

That's true for most $5 cards, also that there are specific setups in which they are especially important. The Swindler can indeed easily be a very nasty card.

If your Warrior gets Swindled and you don't already have some other Travellers, you've been set back a few shuffles.

OK, that sounds convincing. So one could say that Swindlers can be especially bad against Travellers, because of the increased time it takes to exchange Travellers.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:00 am »

O knowledgeable and wise ones; will Chancellor become halfway decent as a catalyst for the Traveller types? And what about Inn? Could I Watchtower the exchanged cards and get to the top of the chain in no time?

Edit: nope, exchanging is not gaining, so I guess Watchtower is out.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:17 am »
+7

I do like the flavor of Lost City - "We've discovered a Lost City!" your archaeologists cry, but before you can start making use of it, all the tourists have prowled around it already, breaking into tombs and making a mess of things.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:44 am »
+4

Would exchanging rule out scheme shenanigans like with hermit?
Exchanging requires actually having both the card leaving and the card coming in. If I resolve Scheme first and put Hero on top, I can't get a Champion with it that turn. If I exchange Hero for Champion first, the Champion is in my discard pile and the Hero is gone, Scheme does nothing.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:37 am »

O knowledgeable and wise ones; will Chancellor become halfway decent as a catalyst for the Traveller types? And what about Inn? Could I Watchtower the exchanged cards and get to the top of the chain in no time?

Edit: nope, exchanging is not gaining, so I guess Watchtower is out.

You could Herald them at the end of your next turn, though.  Chancellor would work just fine.  :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:42 am »

I do like the flavor of Lost City - "We've discovered a Lost City!" your archaeologists cry, but before you can start making use of it, all the tourists have prowled around it already, breaking into tombs and making a mess of things.

I always thought of it like, it took so long for you to discover the Lost City that your rivals had more time to get things done.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 11:17:18 am »
+2

A non-supply card that doesn't cost 0. Inconceivable!

PPE ~37
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2015, 11:18:07 am »
+1

A bunch of random sites I've never heard of on Google let you pre-order and seem to promise shipping on launch day. I just ordered one a few minutes ago. Nothing on Amazon though, or any sites promising *delivery* launch day.

These cards are so cool. If this is the first, most boring preview, I'm really excited.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2015, 11:19:23 am »

What I like about Adventures is that it has all of the wackiness of Dark Ages, but without the "TRASH EVERYTHING" vibe.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 11:23:16 am »
+13

Special bonus: when having discussions, no longer do we have to refer to [+2 Cards; +2 Actions] as once-upgraded Cities or level-two Cities or what have you. Lost City to the rescue!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 11:23:21 am »
+2

You can also pre-order from your local game shop, if you happen to have one of those things.  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.