Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Previews #1 - Lost City, Magpie, Hero  (Read 89607 times)

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #1 - Lost City, Magpie, Hero
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2015, 11:24:09 am »
+2

I already like the magpie a lot. The art is very nice and it seems simple to play (no hard decisions to make once bought).
Its a bit comparable to vagrant, but much stronger, as you get another magpie, if you dont hit a treasure. In early game one of the seldom case you might want your card not to hit. The hitting chance is much higher in early game than with vagrant.
So it looks like a decent opener if you expect the game to last long, especially in slogs.
Magpie might also enable engines if there is no copper trashing available.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2015, 11:24:33 am »
+3

I predicted Traveller cards!  I thought that you would be instructed to trash a card to gain the next one in the chain, instead of it being an "exchange" (which would mean... return the card to its pile?).

I also had speculated that there might be branching paths, but it looks like it's just two long lines.

Oh, and all this speculation was back when Dark Ages was just a blurb...

I would imagine that there will be a card that can gain from the trash, and it could also be a card that could Upgrade itself (or is tied to such a card, a la Young Witch and its bane).  Upgrading would be "trash this, gain that (not in the supply)."

I'm thinking more on the lines of Feast, but with specific upgrade paths, i.e. buy A from supply, trash it to get B* (not in supply), trash that to get C* (not in supply).  The description did mention many cards that "you can only get via specific other cards".

Re: The upgrade actions/ cards you can only gain via other cards.

Is anyone else thinking of the hero cards in Thunderstone? Perhaps including the fact that there will be fewer than 10 of the level 2 and level 3 versions, so it will be a race to upgrade?

If so, a lot of people will hate those cards.

I was thinking that there would be MORE of the special upgraded cards than the upgrade-able cards in the Supply, so that you could make a "gain from trash" card not only worth it but necessary, in order to get more of the good stuff.  So for example:

The supply includes Twig (10 copies, standard).  There are two special cards, Torch and Bonfire.

Twig - $2
+1 Card, +$1.  You may trash this to gain a Torch.  You may reveal and trash a second Twig to gain Bonfire instead.

Torch - $3* (not in supply)
+2 Cards, +$1.  You may trash this and a Twig or a second Torch from your hand to gain a Bonfire.

Bonfire - $5* (not in supply)
+2 Cards, +$1, +1 Action.  Choose one: gain a Twig or Torch from the trash; or trash any number of Twigs and Torches from your hand for $2 each.

And of course, a separate trash-gainer would help you recover those precious Twigs more quickly.

Edit: By the way, my use of twigs stems (semi-pun semi-intended) from the text:

You beg twigs from the villagers, and they beg them back, but no-one really seems to come out ahead.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2015, 11:27:50 am »
+2

Is it just me or will Big Money Magpie be a thing?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2015, 11:28:30 am »

Yes, I also thought that Dark Ages's "upgrading cards" would be more like what you describe, eHalcyon, although I pictured an upgrading city rather than a bonfire. I'm glad the Travellers are more varied than that, though (Spoiler: Warrior is not [+$1; Gain a Treasure] and Treasure Hunter is not [Gain a Treasure]).

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2015, 11:29:02 am »

So it looks like a decent opener if you expect the game to last long, especially in slogs.
It seems like it would be a decent opener in engine games too. Very similar to opening Wishing Well.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2015, 11:31:23 am »
+2

Magpie == Bacon Cheeseburger, for the curious.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2015, 11:33:25 am »

Not a fan?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2015, 11:34:46 am »

Huh. I assumed it was Champion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2015, 11:41:29 am »

Huh. I assumed it was Champion.

So did I.  You guys will see why soon enough.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2015, 11:43:20 am »

It'll be hard to trigger the self-gain, though. They'll be no better than wishing wells for BM till you start accumulating a decent amount of silvers/golds. They also conflict with terminal draw.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2015, 11:44:53 am »

It'll be hard to trigger the self-gain, though. They'll be no better than wishing wells for BM till you start accumulating a decent amount of silvers/golds. They also conflict with terminal draw.

Won't they be Labs most of the time since most of your deck is Treasure?

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2015, 11:45:57 am »
+2

Now, for the real question on everyone's mind.

How Do These Cards Combo With Scout?
[,,,]

Also, Scout is a $4 action card, like Magpie, so it's a good card to use as a proxy for Magpie for the time being.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2015, 11:45:58 am »
+2

Anyone else seeing a really nice hero/scout combo when harem is on the board? Choose any treasure you like, so that may as well be a treasure/victory, so that your scout can handily draw it into your...hand.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2015, 11:46:25 am »

Won't they be Labs most of the time since most of your deck is Treasure?

Oh I see, so are all of us WWs since you're guessing Coppers. Maybe you buy 2-3?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2015, 11:51:57 am »

There's no reason to buy more than 1 Magpie.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2015, 11:54:53 am »
+3

There's no reason to buy more than 1 Magpie.

Man, false. You don't want to have to buy more than one, but sometimes it's the move.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:33 am »

Yes, I also thought that Dark Ages's "upgrading cards" would be more like what you describe, eHalcyon, although I pictured an upgrading city rather than a bonfire. I'm glad the Travellers are more varied than that, though (Spoiler: Warrior is not [+$1; Gain a Treasure] and Treasure Hunter is not [Gain a Treasure]).

My use of Twigs and Bonfires back then was just a joke (derived from the Dark Ages flavour text), and the simple, consistent effects were just for clarity.  I was only trying to describe the chaining, not come up with an interesting line. :)

Just to comment on the other two previewed cards --

Lost City looks really strong.  If somebody had posted this as a fan card, I would probably have commented that the drawback did not seem to be enough.  I am either overestimating the vanilla bonuses or underestimating the drawback, probably a little of both.

Early on, a single Magpie is a lot like a Peddler in that you expect it to draw you a bonus Copper (for $1).  The bonus is increased cycling from actually drawing another card.  Having a larger hand is often good too (though sometimes bad).  It can be better than Peddler when it draws a better treasure than Copper (later in the game) but it can also whiff when it flips a non-treasure.  Gaining another Magpie may be good or bad depending on whether you want more Magpies, but they are cantrips and they don't force you to trash cards, so they're not nearly as bad as Rats.  They get in the way of terminal draw and they make Magpies less useful overall (more actions getting in the way of treasure-finding).

I am now caught up in the conversation, hooray!  I am surprised there aren't more pages of discussion yet, but I guess it is still early.

PPE: Is this "Bacon Cheeseburger" talk about the prototype card names?

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:58 am »

Now, for the real question on everyone's mind.

How Do These Cards Combo With Scout?
[,,,]

Also, Scout is a $4 action card, like Magpie,

Exactly!
So while we're already discussing Swindler:

Magpie makes Scout even stronger, because the Magpie pile will probably be emptied quickly and after that, the opponent will have to swindle your Magpies into Scouts!

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2015, 11:58:42 am »

If I reveal an action-victory card like Great Hall with Magpie, do I gain 2 magpies?
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2015, 11:59:54 am »
+2

If I reveal an action-victory card like Great Hall with Magpie, do I gain 2 magpies?

No.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2015, 12:02:25 pm »
+1

Lost City is really strong, but it invites you to play all the other actions on the board too. So I'd say yes, you'll be playing a lot of Lost City games but they should have good variety.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2015, 12:02:56 pm »

Lost City looks really strong.  If somebody had posted this as a fan card, I would probably have commented that the drawback did not seem to be enough.  I am either overestimating the vanilla bonuses or underestimating the drawback, probably a little of both.

Let's compare Council Room and Lost City:

-CR has on *on play* penalty.  You can get however many you want, but you have to be careful playing them.
-LC has an *on gain* penalty.  Be careful getting them, but once you have them, have a ball.

But which penalty is worse?  The CR penalty happens more often, but not until you've actually gotten a use out of the card.  The LC penalty only happens once, but you might not be able to use the card at all if it's too close to the end of the game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2015, 12:06:26 pm »
+1

The LC penalty only happens once, but you might not be able to use the card at all if it's too close to the end of the game.

This doesn't make any sense. It's an engine card so you are often playing it either the turn you gain or within the next 1-2 turns. You definitely aren't gaining them at the very end of the game (barring 3-pile). You are going to use the Lost Cities you gain.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:07:34 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2015, 12:10:10 pm »
+3

The LC penalty only happens once, but you might not be able to use the card at all if it's too close to the end of the game.

This doesn't make any sense. It's an engine card so you are often playing it either the turn you gain or within the next 1-2 turns. You definitely aren't gaining them at the very end of the game (barring 3-pile). You are going to use the Lost Cities you gain.

Well, it's still your opponent(s) getting benefit before you do.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2015, 12:12:10 pm »
+1

New best opening: KC/Chapel?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.