Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DominionStrategy YouTube channel  (Read 10707 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
DominionStrategy YouTube channel
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:12:57 am »
+1

Before I post this to the front page, I wanted to solicit some feedback.  These are currently WW's annotated videos of his match against allfail. 

Now, I plan to record some videos of my own, and hopefully at higher resolution.  But I won't be able to until 2012, and I do want other skilled players to have videos on the channel as well.  Is there an easier way for me to collect everyone's videos than just having everyone email me video files for me to upload? 

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: DominionStrategy YouTube channel
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:45:34 am »
+1

You can also make playlists that contain other users' videos. (from their own Youtube accounts)

I considered making some card review/analysis videos a while back but I don't think I'm good enough, haha.  It's the kind of thing I would watch though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

WHARF 2 THA BRIDGE

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 12:15:53 pm »

These are pretty nice. Kinda makes me want to make some videos.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:25:59 pm »
+1

These are pretty nice. Kinda makes me want to make some videos.
Start. Immediately. I want to learn how you think so I can beat you more easily :P. I fully approve of this youtube channel. It can probably generate a lot more popularity for Dominion too :)
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 01:40:15 pm »

I've considered doing this as well for a while, nice initiative.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »

BTW the more subscribers the channel has, the easier it'll be to get more people interested in it and probably Dominion videos in general.  I'd suggest anyone who plans to watch regularly / doesn't use their youtube subscription feature (so it won't bother you anyway) do this. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 03:10:48 pm »

Subscribed, can't wait for future strategy videos!

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:17:59 am »

Pretty neat, but the resolution on the WW video I watched is such that the card names are just barely readable.  Full screen mode made things pixelated to the point where my brain was having a hard time decoding the names, so I had to downgrade screen size just to decode cards at a reasonable rate.  Perhaps things would be easier to see with the image interface, but that still leaves the problem of reading the opponent's plays.
Stop reading my signature.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 01:26:33 am »

What program did WW use to record his screen and his mic together?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 01:42:45 am »

Hmm. I guess I still want to say this. I don't mind being broadcasted. Nevertheless, I feel WW should at least inform me he is doing this when we played, and he didn't. What do you guys think?

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:59:41 am »

I don't think it's necessary. As justification, I use the "live commentary" conventions of other online games I watch, such as chess commentary and Magic playing, where I've watched well over a thousand matches against opponents who aren't informed their match is on camera.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:02:31 am »

It's still probably a nice show of etiquette to ask beforehand; it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 06:06:11 am »

Very nice.

However, I'd prefer the vidoes split into two or something rather than having such a low quality . I mean, you can hardly read the card names.
(just seen that OP has mentioned this already, sorry)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:51:26 am by kn1tt3r »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 07:45:17 am »

Hmm. I guess I still want to say this. I don't mind being broadcasted. Nevertheless, I feel WW should at least inform me he is doing this when we played, and he didn't. What do you guys think?
I think the best policy is, we'll post it online, and if anyone objects, we'll take it down, no questions asked.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 08:29:18 am »

I probably should have told you, yes. I am posting it as my status whenever I'm going in to do a recording session, except this was for the tournament, so I had a tournament-related status.
@werothegreat: I'm using livestream and procaster
And yeah, I know the quality isn't the best. I'm working on upping it for future videos.
Lastly, since this stuff is actually streaming as I do it, I don't really want my opponents watching me think as I play. Does anyone know a way around this, where I can make sure that it's not happening, other than looking at the number of viewers on my channel to make sure it's only me? Because I bet there's a way to record but not stream, but I haven't found it yet.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:19 am »

I plan on using software like CamStudio or Fraps.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 10:44:16 am »

Given that iso logs are publicly available, and people post them all over this forum anyway, what difference does it make if it's in real-time with commentary?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 02:11:12 pm »

I guess, I won't be as embarrassed by my long and unreasonable pauses in the game? :P

glasser

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 02:28:31 pm »

Given that iso logs are publicly available, and people post them all over this forum anyway, what difference does it make if it's in real-time with commentary?

Well, the chat...

One other note: because WW plays in text mode where the controls are under the log instead of image mode where the controls are to the left, there is very little visible scrollback; often I literally could not see what allfail/timchen had done because it scrolled off too fast. Maybe use image mode in the future?

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 04:23:59 pm »

If you actually watch WW's videos, the difference is obvious. (e.g. WW's deliberation on his second embargo in the first game is not something you'd probably see in a log, even with written commentary).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:26:14 pm by biopower »

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 04:46:08 pm »

I guess, I won't be as embarrassed by my long and unreasonable pauses in the game? :P

Strangely enough, the long pauses were I thought quite nice, as it gave a lot of time for commentary. Also, from what it sounds like, other people took longer than you did.

WHARF 2 THA BRIDGE

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 05:09:45 am »

I tried making a couple videos earlier tonight (of me playing vs. jonts26, who I'd like to thank very much for his cooperation). For the most part, they turned out crappy. There's only one I'd be willing to upload, and the audio in it is horrible to the point where it becomes unwatchable, but the game itself is surprisingly full of interesting decisions (despite being kind of a boring board), so I'm looking into re-recording a new audio commentary track over it. I need to pick up a higher quality microphone and figure out how to splice new audio onto existing video.

One thing I did learn from my attempts at making videos is that they capture a LOT of strategy elements that are extremely difficult or impossible to spot in logs. In isotropic logs, since it's a start-to-finish text recap, it kind of looks like all the players are super confident in their decisions, but in the heat of battle there's a ton of deliberation. Also, if you're playing a combo deck with a draw engine, the log captures the first 5 cards you start with that turn, but not any of the ones you draw, so after that it's hard to spot the order the cards are played in in big turns, or what a player's discard options are (with warehouse or inn or whatever). Also it's hard to pull from the logs information about cards the players intentionally didn't play, or if the size of the deck/discard pile influenced their decisions, etc. A video can only capture one player's window into all of these elements, but in my opinion it's still better than reading a log.

The bottom line is that even though I don't have a video to show (yet), there is definitely tons of merit to making them and watching them, so if you're thinking about doing it and you think you have something to offer strategy-wise I encourage you to do it. I used two pieces of software in my attempts to make videos (SMrecorder to record, and Avidemux to edit) and they were both free, so cost shouldn't be an issue (unless you don't have a good microphone like me).

For the record, I think since isotropic logs are available, exposure to the public should not be a concern when it comes to asking for your opponent's permission to record a game. HOWEVER, I think the recorder should ask the opponent(s) for permission every time because recorded games WILL take longer, if they are good, since they should contain lots of pauses for deliberation and commentary (and if all I want to do is blast a few quick games I should have the option of avoiding that).

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 05:33:56 am »

If the commentator is planning on taking a (significantly) longer time than usual to explain things, I agree he should let any opponents know beforehand. Playing slow opponents is insufferable in Dominion imo, and I would avoid that at all costs. I imagine others feel the same.

In that way, it's a different situation than the chess videos and Magic videos I watch, as those games are timed, and you only have a certain amount of time to finish the game, or you lose, so you can't really slow down too much. In Dominion, I could see this being a real problem.

Arguably the "best" way of counteracting this is to record the video normally, then adding commentary later on, pausing the video as needed to slow down the pace and explain whatever needs to be explained. This is kinda annoying though, and probably not something I could be bothered doing myself.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 09:53:26 pm »

I watched your matches against Tim today, WW.  Very interesting stuff.  I would consider doing something like this but I am too lazy to learn how and I don't have a mic, so yeah.  By the way, you dropped the ball in game three(?) when you abandoned your solid Masq/BM deck for the Cart/Tunnel abortion.  I would have bought a Silver and not worry about it too much.

Looking forward to seeing more of these.  Very nice work.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 05:48:00 pm »

I watched your matches against Tim today, WW.  Very interesting stuff.  I would consider doing something like this but I am too lazy to learn how and I don't have a mic, so yeah.  By the way, you dropped the ball in game three(?) when you abandoned your solid Masq/BM deck for the Cart/Tunnel abortion.  I would have bought a Silver and not worry about it too much.

Looking forward to seeing more of these.  Very nice work.
I meat to mention that I really don't know why I did that Cartographer thing - I was even saying that it was very bad in the video...
Anyway, my last match against Fabian is up now.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.387 seconds with 21 queries.