Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bad play or just a really awful draw?  (Read 2362 times)

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
Bad play or just a really awful draw?
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:17:14 pm »
+1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150326/log.505e9c9c0cf2ef979299a7c0.1427418758655.txt

I win the Stables split and keep it to just one HT, since there's no villages.  My opponent gets a second HT and a Bishop, which both seem like a waste to me, because you really want to use your one terminal slot for +buy right?  Am I wrong, or was I completely screwed by my draw on T15?  Little of both maybe?

My only other thought at this point is, maybe my Bank/Gold buy should have been Province/Mystic instead?

EDIT: I also just thought that maybe two terminals is reasonable, because I knew I wouldn't draw my deck reliably.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:24:04 am by jaybeez »

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
Re: Bad play or just a really awful draw?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:38:48 am »
+1

I don't have much confidence in saying precisely what went wrong, but the difference in trashing (3 estates vs. 1 estate and a copper) probably made a fairly big difference in the reliability. And 2 horse traders may not be too terrible of an idea (though I disagree too), since colliding them isn't  that bad.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:33:46 am »
+2

I like a Horse Traders to start with and a Bishop later on.
Probably a little later then your opponent got it in this game, turn 6 I'd still buy Silver.
I'm not that much a fan of the second Horse Traders (even less when both players get a Bishop).

Your draws during turn 15 are off course disappointing but it's also quite likely to happen once if you start to green with a deck this, and your opponents turn 16 is very similar.
Join the Dominion League!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:53 am »
+1

What Stef said about the draw... disappointing but not debilitating.  A truly bad draw with this deck would have been something like 3 Stables and 2 greens... that would count as debilitating.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:42 am »
+1

What Stef said about the draw... disappointing but not debilitating.  A truly bad draw with this deck would have been something like 3 Stables and 2 greens... that would count as debilitating.

You probably misread the log. That is exactly what happened on his turn 15.
Join the Dominion League!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:40:01 am »
+2

I'd take a bank instead of silver + stables on turn 10. Taking excess stables can increase your drawing but can lead to dead turns, as you unlucky to find. Also with your opponent taking a bishop you need to take advantage of the free trashing to assemble the deck quickly, before the vp chips become decisive in an endgame.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.