Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Goko Feature!  (Read 3496 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
New Goko Feature!
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »
+12

Ever since Goko cracked the famous problem in GUI design known as "how to display more than ten items on a single computer screen", we've been waiting like hungry ducks for whatever breadcrumbs of brilliance they would bestow upon us next.

It now turns out that they have used their original solution, the multi-page kingdom, as a blueprint for an entirely new feature...

snareroll

...the multi-page hand!

Earlier today a rather promising turn got interrupted by the apparition of an odd-looking triangle, emerging as it did to the north of my Armory, against the backdrop of those misty mountains:

Being the curious bastard I am, I endeavoured to click on it, consequences be damned:

As you can probably tell from the screenshot above, this feature, like the rest of the software, is still in early beta: instead of either truncating by cost as was done with the kingdom or taking the "communistic" approach of enforcing a more or less equal distribution of cards between all participating pages, the current implementation still assigns to page 1 the role of primary container, with page 2 being little more than a lousy back-up, that, I should add, might nevertheless come in handy were page 1 to get lost.

So a word of caution is probably prudent: don't go overboard drawing too much of your deck quite yet, or you could risk prematurely straining the thing, hampering its natural development. Based on an optimistic extrapolation of Goko's track-record, though, it feels reasonable to say that we might be able to enjoy a relatively stable version as early as mid- to late May 2019.

Best to enjoy the wait like the weeks leading up to Christmas, savouring in anticipation of the many pages that hence will be unwrapped!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: New Goko Feature!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:38:05 pm »
+4

This isn't new.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:45:29 pm »

This isn't new.

It certainly didn't exist at the time of this challenge, so in Goko time it's almost as new as their latest bug!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:50:35 am »
+2

This isn't new.

It certainly didn't exist at the time of this challenge, so in Goko time it's almost as new as their latest bug!

I looked into AdamH's video of the Menagerie challenge and the triangle was already there at that point. This is certaintly not new.

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:37:27 am »
+1

While a multi-page hand isn't new - isn't the fact that the cards on page 2 are the same on page 1 new? I haven't played on Goko in a long time, but still check in here to see if there's any news I'm missing, but I thought I remembered that the multi-page hand thing actually displayed cards that couldn't be displayed, but here it looks like it actually serves no function?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:53 am »
+1

While a multi-page hand isn't new - isn't the fact that the cards on page 2 are the same on page 1 new? I haven't played on Goko in a long time, but still check in here to see if there's any news I'm missing, but I thought I remembered that the multi-page hand thing actually displayed cards that couldn't be displayed, but here it looks like it actually serves no function?

I think as Salvager displays all the cards at once, the arrow is useless and clicking on it just shows the cards that would have been normally displayed if Salvager wouldn't have been installed.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:01:09 am »

This isn't new.

I looked into AdamH's video of the Menagerie challenge and the triangle was already there at that point. This is certaintly not new.

Then you'll just have to pretend that it is, or all my work would have been for nothing!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:51 am »

This existed. Salvager just fixes the problem, or should....I guess your hand got even too big for Salvager to handle???

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 09:55:08 am »

This existed. Salvager just fixes the problem, or should....I guess your hand got even too big for Salvager to handle???
Nah, all the cards on the second page are still shown on the first page. Notice the order of the cards on the second page with those on the far right of the first page.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:02 am »
+1

I think as Salvager displays all the cards at once, the arrow is useless and clicking on it just shows the cards that would have been normally displayed if Salvager wouldn't have been installed.

Unlikely. Goko natively stacks cards once your hand gets above a certain size. Salvager just forces it to always stack them (if you turn that option on).

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 02:32:16 pm »
+3

This isn't new.

New or not. The original post is very entertaining written.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.