Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: The 10 words card summary challenge  (Read 49401 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: The 10 words card summary challenge
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2015, 03:13:00 am »

Bazaar: Village is great, but expensive for just extra coin.

Bazaar is a Village plus a Peddler, which is ~$7 of value but only requiring a single buy.  So the coin is actually rather good value, if you want the coin; the problem is that you'd often rather have more, cheaper villages instead.  But when you do want the coin, it's not expensive.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2015, 04:58:49 am »

Goons: virtually never skippable. Only question is engine or Goons/money.

"Virtually never skippable" is a region populated by probably Chapel and maybe Ambassador... if anything. One step further is the land of Mountebank, Wharf, and Rebuild. One more step and you get to Witch and Sea Hag.

Three steps down the road, if you look to the right you will see the coveted Goons, on a lunch break.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:33 am »
+5

"Virtually never skippable" is a region populated by probably Chapel and maybe Ambassador... if anything. One step further is the land of Mountebank, Wharf, and Rebuild. One more step and you get to Witch and Sea Hag.

Three steps down the road, if you look to the right you will see the coveted Goons, on a lunch break.

This is, like, totally not true. Sea Hag is very skippable and Rebuild is skippable whenever there's a stronger engine. Goons is almost mandatory if there's a way to play more than one per turn, and if there are no splitters, chances are Goons is the strongest terminal in the kingdom.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2015, 05:29:04 am »
+1

Goons: virtually never skippable. Only question is engine or Goons/money.

Ambassador and Wharf, yeah, Mountebank maybe. The other cards, not really.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2015, 10:49:56 am »
+2

If you look at gain rates from the top 20 players, Tournament is the clear winner. Many of the cards being named above appear at the top, but some are quite a ways down the list. Of course gain rate doesn't fully capture "skippability" but it's the simplest analysis.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2015, 11:13:13 pm »

This is, like, totally not true. Sea Hag is very skippable and Rebuild is skippable whenever there's a stronger engine. Goons is almost mandatory if there's a way to play more than one per turn, and if there are no splitters, chances are Goons is the strongest terminal in the kingdom.

I'll trust you on this one.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2015, 11:14:08 pm »

If you look at gain rates from the top 20 players, Tournament is the clear winner. Many of the cards being named above appear at the top, but some are quite a ways down the list. Of course gain rate doesn't fully capture "skippability" but it's the simplest analysis.

I was going to add Tournament but I forgot.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2015, 11:21:49 pm »

Chapel is also very skippable on big money boards or ones with alternatives that happen to be better for the board, like ambassador sometimes. Truly tournament is the one card that has a place in pretty much every deck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2015, 11:47:02 pm »

Chapel is also very skippable on big money boards or ones with alternatives that happen to be better for the board, like ambassador sometimes. Truly tournament is the one card that has a place in pretty much every deck.

Not Wharf?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2015, 06:41:24 am »

Duke: Buy all Duchies first.  Usually better than Provinces.

I think "all" is a bit too much said.

Duke: Buy three Duchies minimum, then alternate Duke and Duchy buys.

If you buy three duchies then a Duke, you're doing it wrong. Pretty definitely. In a 2 player game, you usually want to buy at least 7 duchies before the first Duke (and very often just all 8 ).

(Edited to remove 8) )

Can someone explain this? I don't remember any of this in any articles. If I am all alone in the Duke/Duchy race and my opponent has already snagged 4 provinces or so... there is no way that 7 Duchies and 0 Dukes is optimal. Unless the game (and your buying power) lasts long enough to see through buying 3-4 Dukes. But I mean the game usually ends before I get 7 of either, combined.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2015, 07:53:14 am »

Of course gain rate doesn't fully capture "skippability" but it's the simplest analysis.

Gain rate doesn't capture "skippability" at all. It's a completely different metric. You would want to measure games where it's gained at all without taking into account the number of copies that were gained.

In 2000-2500 games of Dominion I've played, many of them pre-Dark Ages, I've been happy skipping Chapel and Rebuild many, many times. I skip Sea Hag more often than I buy it.

Mountebank and Witch I've skipped a few times, yeah. Mountebank is a lot easier to skip because of Gardens and Counting House, but Witch not so much.

I've skipped Goons twice ever and been happy about it. Neither game had a village, one had Library (though there's some debate on that one) and the other was Cultist.

I've skipped Ambassador once ever and been happy about it. To be fair, my opponent didn't buy Ambassador either. (Wow I watched this game again, I can't wait for all the people to tell me I should have gone with Black Market here...

I don't recall ever skipping Wharf or Tournament and being happy about it, but I may not have remembered these things. On a very fast Ironworks/Vineyard board I could certainly see myself skipping wharf, in fact in many rushes (IW/Gardens, Beggar/Gardens) or other combo decks (NV/Bridge, Hermit/Market Square, maaaaaybe Masterpiece/Feodum) I'd consider skipping Wharf and/or Tournament (or like all of these cards really)
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2015, 08:07:52 am »
+1

I've skipped most of the power cards at least once and be happy about it. For Wharf, I've beaten it with IGG/Scavenger. There was only one time I remember skipping Tournament and winning ever. It was in the Iso days where I think I had 5/2 had went for a Cartographer/Cellar/Tunnel deck. It ended up being faster to just go straight for Provinces and Gold.

I still have to find a game where it felt good skipping Masquerade when my opponent didn't. I've won a game like that, but it was a BM board where we opened 5/2 and my opponent didn't open Masquerade. Ambassador too.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2015, 08:55:47 am »
+3

If you buy three duchies then a Duke, you're doing it wrong. Pretty definitely. In a 2 player game, you usually want to buy at least 7 duchies before the first Duke (and very often just all 8 ).

(Edited to remove 8) )

Can someone explain this? I don't remember any of this in any articles. If I am all alone in the Duke/Duchy race and my opponent has already snagged 4 provinces or so... there is no way that 7 Duchies and 0 Dukes is optimal. Unless the game (and your buying power) lasts long enough to see through buying 3-4 Dukes. But I mean the game usually ends before I get 7 of either, combined.

If your opponent can buy 8 Provinces before you can buy 7 Duchies, you're doing something wrong.

You want to get Duchies first because there are only 8 in the supply, you need them, and they are useful for your opponent as well, while Dukes are entirely useless for your opponent. That's why you have to ensure that you can get as many Duchies as possible before starting to gain Dukes instead. There are situations where you need the extra points as fast as possible, and you would rather have an early Duke for that reason, but you'll notice when you are in one of those situations so the default thing to do is to gain a ton of Duchies first.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2015, 09:26:24 am »
+10

(Edited to remove 8) )

Sure. 7 Duchies and 0 Dukes is absolutely optimal there (unless there's some strange case where there are 2 other piles which are going to be empty very soon). Here's the issue: your opponent needs to get all 8 provinces there to end the game, right? So 8 provinces is 48 points (I am going to ignore estate points, they usually don't change much). To get 48 points, I will need at least 11 duchy/duke. The most optimal way to split 11 duchy/duke is 7 duchy/4 duke, which nets 49 points. So you're going to need 11 anyway, you might as well get the duchies first, since they are much more likely to run out, and you are doing a little bit of a denial to your opponent (who can make some use of a duchy, but no use of a duke).

You're probably coming at it from the angle of "the game is going to end soon, I should get as many points as possible as fast as possible". This is a really common thing I see in a lot of people, but it's actually wrong. The point is, those extra points will never win you that game which is ending soon anyway. If the game really ends that soon, you are just going to lose either way, and it doesn't actually matter how many points you have - what matters is whether or not you have more when the game ends. Going for more dukes sooner might look good in that sense, because it scores more points. But it doesn't actually do that in a way that lets you win.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:23 am »

maaaaaybe Masterpiece/Feodum

As much as I like this combo, I've actually never gotten to play it unless I deliberately added both of them to a kingdom.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2015, 10:00:28 am »

WW, you are ignoring the possibility of a 3-pile, which is often quite relevant.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2015, 10:02:37 am »

WW, you are ignoring the possibility of a 3-pile, which is often quite relevant.

(Edited to remove 8) )

Sure. 7 Duchies and 0 Dukes is absolutely optimal there (unless there's some strange case where there are 2 other piles which are going to be empty very soon). Here's the issue: your opponent needs to get all 8 provinces there to end the game, right? So 8 provinces is 48 points (I am going to ignore estate points, they usually don't change much). To get 48 points, I will need at least 11 duchy/duke. The most optimal way to split 11 duchy/duke is 7 duchy/4 duke, which nets 49 points. So you're going to need 11 anyway, you might as well get the duchies first, since they are much more likely to run out, and you are doing a little bit of a denial to your opponent (who can make some use of a duchy, but no use of a duke).

You're probably coming at it from the angle of "the game is going to end soon, I should get as many points as possible as fast as possible". This is a really common thing I see in a lot of people, but it's actually wrong. The point is, those extra points will never win you that game which is ending soon anyway. If the game really ends that soon, you are just going to lose either way, and it doesn't actually matter how many points you have - what matters is whether or not you have more when the game ends. Going for more dukes sooner might look good in that sense, because it scores more points. But it doesn't actually do that in a way that lets you win.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2015, 11:38:02 am »

Sorry, missed that. I don't think that case is so strange though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:43 am »

As much as I like this combo, I've actually never gotten to play it unless I deliberately added both of them to a kingdom.

Really? It's come up pretty often for me. At least three times, I think. Probably more.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2015, 12:15:48 pm »

Of course gain rate doesn't fully capture "skippability" but it's the simplest analysis.

Gain rate doesn't capture "skippability" at all. It's a completely different metric. You would want to measure games where it's gained at all without taking into account the number of copies that were gained.

I meant "gain rate" as the % of games where this card is gained. And that's the data in the link I posted. Nothing to do with number of copies.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2015, 12:42:14 pm »

Really? It's come up pretty often for me. At least three times, I think. Probably more.

My very first Guilds game had Masterpiece, Feodum and Trader.

Transmute, University, Lookout, Masterpiece, Urchin, Alchemist, Bridge, Feodum, Trader, Adventurer

Knowing what we know now about Mercenary, there might actually be a Bridge megaturn there.  Probably a reasonable Kingdom design submission...

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2015, 01:45:35 pm »

It's come up once for me. My opponent didn't see it and it was otherwise an engine board, so I was pretty much uncontested on Silvers and Feoda. I ended up with 36 Silvers and all 8 12-point Feoda. That was pretty satisfying.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2015, 12:55:16 am »

On a more general note, I think a lot of the recent summaries are just that -- summaries of the card text themselves.  But just stating what the card does isn't helpful; I can just read the card itself for that.

The OP states the goal is to create descriptions "summarizing a specific card and/or giving strategic advice for its use in only 10 words." It does not specify giving strategy only. If want to give strategy only, that's fine. But that is not what this post is limited to according to what I read.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2015, 01:49:37 am »
+2

On a more general note, I think a lot of the recent summaries are just that -- summaries of the card text themselves.  But just stating what the card does isn't helpful; I can just read the card itself for that.

The OP states the goal is to create descriptions "summarizing a specific card and/or giving strategic advice for its use in only 10 words." It does not specify giving strategy only. If want to give strategy only, that's fine. But that is not what this post is limited to according to what I read.

OK, fair enough.  But I stand by what I said that just summarizing isn't useful.  The official cards themselves are already made to be succinct.  I think the OP implies that a strategic take should be applied, and strategy is certainly the purpose behind the inspiration for this thread.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2015, 02:18:20 am »
+17

OK, fair enough.  But I stand by what I said that just summarizing isn't useful.  The official cards themselves are already made to be succinct.  I think the OP implies that a strategic take should be applied, and strategy is certainly the purpose behind the inspiration for this thread.

Throne Room: Choose an Action card in your hand. Play it twice.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.