Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: The 10 words card summary challenge  (Read 49451 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: The 10 words card summary challenge
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2015, 09:24:22 am »
+4

Band of misfits: great hag, great ambassador, great conspirator, great chapel, mediocre five.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2015, 11:06:28 am »
+7

Chapel: Trash your starting estates and coppers.  Yes, I'm quite serious.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »
+4

Quarry: Copper without actions, Gold with actions, but best with buys.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2015, 09:52:35 am »
+1

Vineyard: Get actions, two to three potions. Opponents cultist? No problem
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2015, 10:14:20 am »

Duke: Buy all Duchies first.  Usually better than Provinces.

I think "all" is a bit too much said.

Duke: Buy three Duchies minimum, then alternate Duke and Duchy buys.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2015, 10:26:11 am »
+3

If you buy three duchies then a Duke, you're doing it wrong. Pretty definitely. In a 2 player game, you usually want to buy at least 7 duchies before the first Duke (and very often just all 8 ).

(Edited to remove 8) )
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:31:47 am by WanderingWinder »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 10:28:13 am »
+1

4 duchies is the absolute minimum, and then alternate at the very least. But still, you will almost always want more duchies first,

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 10:31:16 am »
+1

If you buy three duchies then a Duke, you're doing it wrong. Pretty definitely. In a 2 player game, you usually want to buy at least 7 duchies before the first Duke (and very often just all 8).
Mr. 8) strikes again. But yeah, get as many Duchies as you can first. Consider that your opponent denying Dukes when you have 7-8 Duchies is way better for you than if they deny Duchies when you have a bunch of Dukes.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2015, 11:03:59 am »
+2

That problem is solved if we make lists using square brackets:
1]
2]
3]
4]
5]
6]
7]
8] ... nothing happened! 8)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2015, 11:07:30 am »
+2

Or, you know, turning off smileys, like this 8)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2015, 11:09:57 am »

BURN THE WITCH MOUNTEBANK ILL-GOTTEN GAIN CULTIST SOOTHSAYER REDACTED

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2015, 11:15:14 am »
+1

1]
2]
3]
4]
5]
6]
7]

But square brackets are a distinct punctuation mark from parentheses. You can't make a parenthetical comment in square brackets - square brackets are used for things like putting a quote into the correct context for the remainder of a sentence. Sure, don't use parentheses for numbering - I never liked that anyway, much preferring dots - and that doesn't really help the situation at hand.

F.DS - your grammar nerd headquarters.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2015, 11:28:53 am »

1]
2]
3]
4]
5]
6]
7]

But square brackets are a distinct punctuation mark from parentheses. You can't make a parenthetical comment in square brackets - square brackets are used for things like putting a quote into the correct context for the remainder of a sentence. Sure, don't use parentheses for numbering - I never liked that anyway, much preferring dots - and that doesn't really help the situation at hand.

F.DS - your grammar nerd headquarters.

Well, technically, punctuation isn't grammar.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2015, 11:31:31 am »

If it was, we'd make a fuss about "grammar-nerd headquarters".

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2015, 11:48:31 am »
+1

If you buy three duchies then a Duke, you're doing it wrong. Pretty definitely. In a 2 player game, you usually want to buy at least 7 duchies before the first Duke (and very often just all 8 ).

(Edited to remove 8) )

I usually buy five or six before switching. 3 is a mathematical minimum, and so i said it was the minimum. I guess that doesn't relly make for particular valuable advice, so i see your point.

I think part of the problem comes from the fact that i play no 2 player games. For me, "all Duchies" is 150% of what you mean. Wanting to get twelve Duchies before your first Duke seems like a pretty bad idea, as the game will often enough end before you get there (for the fact alone that handling 12 Duchies is a lot harder than handling 8)*. Also, the Dukes will be worth the same as Provinces halfway through allready, and the risk of Duchies running out is significantly lower. So i felt a minimum statement, while only providing a very, very basic strategic insight (Dukes should at least be worth Duchies) was more accurate than outright claiming you should get "all".

*Woo-hoo, "Don't use Smileys" works! 8)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2015, 11:54:44 am »
+7

BURN THE WITCH MOUNTEBANK ILL-GOTTEN GAIN CULTIST SOOTHSAYER REDACTED

*beats Werothegreat with a poster-sized printout of the Harem card art*

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:25 am »
+1

(Edited to remove 8) )

I usually buy five or six before switching. 3 is a mathematical minimum, and so i said it was the minimum. I guess that doesn't relly make for particular valuable advice, so i see your point.

I think part of the problem comes from the fact that i play no 2 player games. For me, "all Duchies" is 150% of what you mean. Wanting to get twelve Duchies before your first Duke seems like a pretty bad idea, as the game will often enough end before you get there (for the fact alone that handling 12 Duchies is a lot harder than handling 8)*. Also, the Dukes will be worth the same as Provinces halfway through allready, and the risk of Duchies running out is significantly lower. So i felt a minimum statement, while only providing a very, very basic strategic insight (Dukes should at least be worth Duchies) was more accurate than outright claiming you should get "all".

*Woo-hoo, "Don't use Smileys" works! 8)

"the risk of Duchies running out is significantly lower" - than provinces, maybe (probably not? unless you're the only player going Duke in a multiplayer game). But duchies are WAY more likely to run out than Dukes, which is why you want to go pretty hard for duchies first. Quick point is that if you have 3 duchies, Duke isn't even worth more than Duchy, so you should buy Duchy (assuming that doesn't make an unfavorable the-game-is-ending-right-now-scenario), because Duchy is more likely to run out by the time you hit your next 5 than Duke is.

But more to the point, you aren't generally trying to maximize your points RIGHT NOW, you're trying to maximize them at the end of the game. If you are going to need to end up with 6 duchies anyway, you want to buy those first, because that pile is more likely to run out (and more useful to your opponents in non-mirrors).

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:41 am »
+1

And about "If it were" ;)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2015, 12:06:37 pm »

For the counting VP cards, you usually want to stock up on the thing they count before you start getting them (except SR and Gardens in rushes).  With a Feodum enabler, you really want to concentrate on winning the Silver split more than the Feodum split.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2015, 12:40:45 pm »

Allright, i give it to you that 3 as a minimum is nonsense, as getting four is the same in points with a strategic advantage.

Hm, i didn't take into account other players might go for Duke, too. Let's see, if i buy 4 Duchies, then alternate, and my opponent buys Duchies until they run out, he gets 7 Duchies at a point where i have 5 and two Dukes (assuming we both get equally many chances to buy them). If we both get no or one more Duke before the game ends, i win. if we both get two more, we are tied. So i guess the question is, how likely is it that the game ends before the "get all" strategy becomes better. For 3 players, i think it's reasonable to assume that it will indeed pay off, at least in a mirror situation. For 4 players, that's either 3 guys sharing Dukes (making them just better Duchies) or 2 guys buying Provinces (6 each). The first case makes "buy 4, then alternate" mean pretty much the same as "buy until they are out", while the latter makes it possibly better. And of course, if i'm the only player going for Dukes, the game might end before i get even one, at which point switching earlier would clearly have been the better decision.

As i said, 3 probably really was a stupid statement. For 4, i think it's reasonable to say that it depends on the player count and strategies whether "gotta catch em all" is actually better. I guess i just want to say that it's not a trivial decision.

For the counting VP cards, you usually want to stock up on the thing they count before you start getting them (except SR and Gardens in rushes).  With a Feodum enabler, you really want to concentrate on winning the Silver split more than the Feodum split.

Sure, but Vineyard, Feodum, Gardens, even Fairgrounds count cards that are useful for other purposes then pushing your VP count. Acting as if three Silvers did the same to your deck as a Duchy isn't really fair.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2015, 01:08:05 pm »
+2

And about "If it were" ;)

And about, uh... sentence fragments.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2015, 02:22:27 pm »

With a Feodum enabler, you really want to concentrate on winning the Silver split more than the Feodum split.

ummm... I disagree.

I've never seen a board that's so strongly in favor of Feoda that you want to go for Silvers instead of going for Provinces. I mean, yeah Silvers help you get Provinces but the Silver split just doesn't enter into the equation. If you're going for Feoda, you're usually also going for Provinces (or some other form of VP) unless you just lose to the guy who does.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2015, 03:59:35 pm »

With a Feodum enabler, you really want to concentrate on winning the Silver split more than the Feodum split.

ummm... I disagree.

I've never seen a board that's so strongly in favor of Feoda that you want to go for Silvers instead of going for Provinces. I mean, yeah Silvers help you get Provinces but the Silver split just doesn't enter into the equation. If you're going for Feoda, you're usually also going for Provinces (or some other form of VP) unless you just lose to the guy who does.

Sorry, I was thinking of a Masterpiece game.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2015, 04:08:44 pm »

How about you guys open a discussion thread for "how many Duchies should I gain before getting Dukes?" ;)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »
+5

How about you guys open a discussion thread for "how many Duchies should I gain before getting Dukes?" ;)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.