Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: CARD OF THE WEEK #1: Wandering Minstrel  (Read 22234 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: CARD OF THE WEEK #1: Wandering Minstrel
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2015, 11:55:09 am »

"A sifter is a card that draws and discards, in either order, or reveals/looks at cards from your deck with the option of discarding them, so as to cycle through your deck to get to more desirable cards."

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Sifter

Hamlet and Plaza sift.  True, NV doesn't technically sift in this manner, but it's got a sift-y vibe to it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2015, 11:56:15 am »
+6

Hamlet and Plaza aren't sifters. If you have a definition which says otherwise, the definition is flawed.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2015, 11:57:48 am »
+12

"A sifter is a card that draws and discards, in either order, or reveals/looks at cards from your deck with the option of discarding them, so as to cycle through your deck to get to more desirable cards."

Hamlet and Plaza sift.  True, NV doesn't technically sift in this manner, but it's got a sift-y vibe to it.
This is just you quoting yourself, right?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2015, 12:06:22 pm »
+2

But it still needs to sift at least 2 cards because otherwise you get better sifting by just buying nothing instead of the Hamlet or Plaza.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2015, 12:57:19 pm »

if Hamlet is a sifter then great hall is also one  ;)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2015, 02:05:31 pm »
+2

I actually didn't write that definition.  Well, probably edited it.  If you think it's wrong, feel free to change it; I was just going with what was there.  Contrary to popular belief, I have not written the entire wiki on my own.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2015, 03:53:38 pm »

If you need to draw/discard at least 2 cards, then how does WM compare to Inn?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2015, 04:06:53 pm »

I think any card that both draws cards and then forces you to discard cards is a sifter. I would call Oasis a sifter. Barely.

Any card that lets you discard (ostensibly) bad cards from the top of your deck is also a sifter. Wandering Minstrel, Cartographer, and Jack of All Trades are sifters.

Perhaps it is useful to distinguish between the first category (hand sifters) and the second (deck sifters). They both serve a similar purpose, though: getting past your bad cards to your good cards.

Hamlet and Plaza are not sifters. They're vaults, really. They allow you to discard cards for a benefit.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2015, 04:20:46 pm »
+1

It's cheaper, doesn't decrease your handsize and it's not annoying when you don't have any junk in your hand. On the other hand, its sifting is useless for the current turn unless you have another card in your hand that draws more cards, and it doesn't have the on-gain ability. But generally, they're pretty similar, and unless you're heavily relying on Inn's on-gain or Wandering Minstrel's low cost, whatever strategy you can do with one of the cards probably works just as well with the other.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2015, 04:35:23 pm »

I think any card that both draws cards and then forces you to discard cards is a sifter. I would call Oasis a sifter. Barely.

Any card that lets you discard (ostensibly) bad cards from the top of your deck is also a sifter. Wandering Minstrel, Cartographer, and Jack of All Trades are sifters.

Perhaps it is useful to distinguish between the first category (hand sifters) and the second (deck sifters). They both serve a similar purpose, though: getting past your bad cards to your good cards.

Hamlet and Plaza are not sifters. They're vaults, really. They allow you to discard cards for a benefit.

Taking this (and others' opinions) into consideration, I did some editing of the sifter article and added a new discard for benefit article.  Any objections to that as a name?  I figured it was pretty descriptive, and in line with "trash for benefit".

If you still don't like it, well, it's a wiki, so, feel free to change it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2015, 08:53:48 pm »

The big question is, how much of a sifter is Pearl Diver?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1398
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2015, 12:26:17 am »
+7

No, that's the last question. But you can choose to make it the top question.
My opponent has more loot than me

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2015, 12:50:36 am »

No, that's the last question. But you can choose to make it the top question.

If you don't, you'll have to stare at it five more times because you got crap hands too often from buying all the Pearl Divers.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2015, 12:55:49 am »

If you don't, you'll have to stare at it five more times because you got crap hands too often from buying all the Pearl Divers.

Pearl Diver is a cantrip. Buying them doesn't cause crap hands.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2015, 08:24:30 am »

Unless there's Militia.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2015, 10:12:21 am »

Yeah, well, it was after midnight when I posted that.  And I was thinking like a Village Idiot sort of thing.  Your hands aren't as good as they would have been if you'd actually bought something useful.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2015, 10:43:50 am »

I don't think I actually understand the question. I don't accept the premise of needing to draw/discard at least 2 cards - why do I need to do that? Obviously if I truly need to, WM can't ensure that I draw two? So I assume I am missing the point of what you're trying to ask - I'm confused :/

It's cheaper, doesn't decrease your handsize and it's not annoying when you don't have any junk in your hand. On the other hand, its sifting is useless for the current turn unless you have another card in your hand that draws more cards, and it doesn't have the on-gain ability. But generally, they're pretty similar, and unless you're heavily relying on Inn's on-gain or Wandering Minstrel's low cost, whatever strategy you can do with one of the cards probably works just as well with the other.

I disagree pretty heartily. Minstrel's play effect is just much, much better than Inn's (at least without draw-to-X), because it's card-neutral, whereas Inn leaves you down a card.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 10:59:01 am »

I don't think I actually understand the question. I don't accept the premise of needing to draw/discard at least 2 cards - why do I need to do that? Obviously if I truly need to, WM can't ensure that I draw two? So I assume I am missing the point of what you're trying to ask - I'm confused :/

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2015, 11:03:29 am »

I'm really not trying to frustrate you - I actually don't understand what you were trying to ask there.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2015, 11:04:41 am »

I think what WW is getting at is, what kind of circumstance are you even talking about?  Inn and WM in the same hand?  That seems like a really small sample size of cases.  You probably wouldn't buy Inn over WM just because it 'draws' two more cards most of the time.  If both are on the board, you are going to buy WM more often because it's cheaper and nets more cards in hand than Inn does.  Sure, there might be some random hand down the line where you think 'man, I wish I could draw 2 cards with this Minstrel,' but that is one turn where that happened whereas your other turns were likely improved by having Minstrels instead of Inns.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2015, 11:06:34 am »

I'm really not trying to frustrate you - I actually don't understand what you were trying to ask there.

Was really trying to stimulate discussion.  I guess I did, but I was hoping it would be about comparing cards, and not card category definitions.

I think what WW is getting at is, what kind of circumstance are you even talking about?  Inn and WM in the same hand?  That seems like a really small sample size of cases.  You probably wouldn't buy Inn over WM just because it 'draws' two more cards most of the time.  If both are on the board, you are going to buy WM more often because it's cheaper and nets more cards in hand than Inn does.  Sure, there might be some random hand down the line where you think 'man, I wish I could draw 2 cards with this Minstrel,' but that is one turn where that happened whereas your other turns were likely improved by having Minstrels instead of Inns.

I wasn't asking about a WM/Inn DEATHMATCH, more just which situations each is better in, how they compare.  How a kingdom with WM versus the same kingdom but with Inn instead would function.

EDIT: Ah, finally get it.  Awaclus had said that sifters (at least, hand sifters) should draw/discard at least 2 cards.  My aim had been to get discussion going on the merits of different sifting villages, which the definition I had been going with included Hamlet and Plaza.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:08:43 am by werothegreat »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2015, 05:32:00 pm »

Yeah, well, it was after midnight when I posted that.  And I was thinking like a Village Idiot sort of thing.  Your hands aren't as good as they would have been if you'd actually bought something useful.

Well, usually the reason why you have a Pearl Diver is because you didn't have enough money to buy something actually useful.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.