Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Oracle Drawing Order  (Read 7309 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Oracle Drawing Order
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:18:28 pm »

When you play an Oracle, and you want to draw the 2 cards you just revealed, Goko lets you choose the order in which you put them back on your deck before you continue to draw them.  Does this order ever really matter?  I can see that it matters for the opponents of the player playing the Oracle, but not the player him/herself.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Oracle Drawing Order
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:26:44 pm »
+3

Currently it does not matter, but it could make a difference in the future with certain card effects.  More importantly, it would be wordier to give separate instructions for the one who played the card.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:32:37 pm »

Currently it does not matter, but it could make a difference in the future with certain card effects.  More importantly, it would be wordier to give separate instructions for the one who played the card.

That's basically what I thought, but wanted to make sure.  I never know when there are weird fringe cases out there.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:43:18 pm »
+3

When you play an Oracle, and you want to draw the 2 cards you just revealed, Goko lets you choose the order in which you put them back on your deck before you continue to draw them.  Does this order ever really matter?  I can see that it matters for the opponents of the player playing the Oracle, but not the player him/herself.
It's just something that had to happen. We have to either let you pick the order, or specify the order. If we specify the order then you need to keep track of the order. And the order doesn't matter. So you get to pick.

If it didn't affect all players, it would just have you either put the cards into your hand, or discard them and draw 2, like Catacombs does. But since it hits everyone this was the simplest wording.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:32 pm »
+8

Oh hey, this matters now!  Because of the -1 Card token.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:05:16 am »
+3

I both like and dislike this necro because it's relevant and accurate, but when reading the OP and the first reply, I was like "these answers are wrong!"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:12:08 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:32:44 am »

I both like and dislike this necro bits relevant and accurate, but when reading the OP and the first reply, I was like "these answers are wrong!"

Apparently dislike outweighs like in this case.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 09:58:14 am »
+10

That's why the new online version will ask exactly the same question
(but only if you actually have your -1 Card token)
Join the Dominion League!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 10:00:24 am »
+1

But not if they're the same card?

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 10:05:31 am »
+5

True, but that is a very generic piece of code not related to Oracle or -card token or whatever.
All questions that have only 1 possible answer are skipped.

In addition we try to skip as many questions as possible where the answers are different but still irrelevant.
That's a lot less elegant though, it's just a continuously growing list.
Join the Dominion League!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:08:22 am »
+1

Do you mean questions like 'do uou first use the hireling or caravan guard effect'?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 10:12:02 am »
+4

True, but that is a very generic piece of code not related to Oracle or -card token or whatever.
All questions that have only 1 possible answer are skipped.

In addition we try to skip as many questions as possible where the answers are different but still irrelevant.
That's a lot less elegant though, it's just a continuously growing list.

God, it's like you thought of stuff that would be nice for someone playing the game and decided to implement things that way.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 12:31:40 pm »

By the rules you still should be able to choose though. You should have the option to either have that feature turned on or off.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 01:45:08 pm »
+6

By the rules you still should be able to choose though. You should have the option to either have that feature turned on or off.

I see no benefit to that at all. Choosing which Copper you want to trash after playing Moneylender? By the rules you can keep revealing Moat forever after an attack is played, but it's good for online not not allow that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 11:22:22 am »
+2

I see no benefit to that at all. Choosing which Copper you want to trash after playing Moneylender? By the rules you can keep revealing Moat forever after an attack is played, but it's good for online not not allow that.

I'm curious to see if Shuffle IT came up with a good solution to the Moat problem on MF. MF prompts the Moat holder to reveal the card if they have one. The prompting itself reveals to the opponent that they have a Reaction card, regardless of whether or not they reveal it. This is a minor drawback that might not be avoidable (since pausing after EVERY attack play just to maintain that illusion is so much worse), but maybe ShIT came up with an elegant solution here.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 12:05:04 pm »

I'm curious to see if Shuffle IT came up with a good solution to the Moat problem on MF. MF prompts the Moat holder to reveal the card if they have one. The prompting itself reveals to the opponent that they have a Reaction card, regardless of whether or not they reveal it. This is a minor drawback that might not be avoidable (since pausing after EVERY attack play just to maintain that illusion is so much worse), but maybe ShIT came up with an elegant solution here.

I think that in only games with reactions (to attacks), a very short delay (maybe 1 second) after playing an attack would be reasonable. It could even only do it if your opponent's deck contains at least 1 such reaction card.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 05:45:13 pm »

...ShIT...

You're that pessimistic about the new online Dominion already?  ;)

Maybe SIT would be better...

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 07:01:34 pm »
+1

...ShIT...

You're that pessimistic about the new online Dominion already?  ;)

Maybe SIT would be better...

It just seemed like a natural acronym, and then after proofreading my post I saw the insinuation. I tried to go back and replace all of them with the full name of the company. Evidently I missed one. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:05:44 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 06:58:31 am »

I think that in only games with reactions (to attacks), a very short delay (maybe 1 second) after playing an attack would be reasonable. It could even only do it if your opponent's deck contains at least 1 such reaction card.
This would have a very low priority to "fix" anyway. I don't find the reaction pause that harmful, also because like 90% of the time you'd want to reveal anyway and for that 10% it doesn't matter much.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.