Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Is it too early to speculate on the Spring 2012 expansion?  (Read 36336 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Is it too early to speculate on the Spring 2012 expansion?
« on: December 27, 2011, 01:53:22 am »

I think the title says it all.  I know I only just got my copy of Hinterlands, but I'm already excited for what the next expansion might bring.

What I think can be assumed:
-It will be a small expansion.
-The box won't be purple, brown, grey, green, blue, orange, or yellow-green.

What new mechanics do we think (or do we hope) the next expansion will have?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

blackb

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too early to speculate on the Spring 2012 expansion?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:36:29 am »
+1

It's never too early to speculate on an Dominion expansion.  :)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:41:35 am »

I'm also very impatient. ::)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:46:52 am »
+2

I'm hoping for a Horror-themed expansion.  Cards that do things... from BEYOND THE GRAVE.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:11:09 pm »
+1

I'm hoping for a Horror-themed expansion.  Cards that do things... from BEYOND THE GRAVE.

Gah, how many times do we have to say that cards that interact with the trash pile are just asking for trouble?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:34 pm »
+2

Gah, how many times do we have to say that cards that interact with the trash pile are just asking for trouble?

At least one more time, it seems.

Myself, I'm hoping for more Potion cards.  Just to keep up the variety.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 04:10:46 pm »
+1

This is more of a wish for the last big expansion (since it wouldn't make sense to put them in a small expansion), but I would love to see a couple more VP chip cards.  It appears there won't ever be another Duration card (which makes me sad), but I don't think Donald's actually foreclosed on the idea of putting the VP chips in another expansion.

I'd also like to see a targeted discard attack, if it can be done in a balanced manner. 

But most of all, I want to see something good which I haven't thought of beforehand.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:40 pm »

I wanna see an expansion that induces the most analysis paralysis possible.

That or something in the spirit of Unglued/Unhinged.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 04:31:13 pm »

I would love to see more VP chip cards (or Duration cards, though Donald has been pretty unequivocal in stating there will never be any more), but I would guess chances are slim. They'd have to put another set of VP tokens in the box, since each expansion comes with the bits that are required for that expansion - so that you're only required to own that expansion plus one of the stand-alone sets.

Let's see if I can rampantly speculate on a mechanic that might be a focus for a future expansion.... How about, goal cards? (OK, I had already guessed that wrong for Cornucopia.) Powerful, optional one-shots? (Like Mining Village.) Tokens that can be accumulated and used later for basic stuff like +Buy or +Action? Negative coinage on powerful attack cards?

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »

I'd love to see others cards about variety, like Cornuccopia.
Also, I hope to see some Action/victory cards, or Treasure/Victory... or simple Victory card like Gardens, Silk Road, Vineyard, etc...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:02:37 pm »
+1

I'd like to see pairs of Kingdom cards that are always in the Supply together. I think a lot of interesting design space could be opened by allowing a Kingdom card to reference another specific Kingdom card. It might work better for a full-sized set, though. 13 pairs of cards is a lot more variety than 6 pairs of cards.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:49 pm »

I'd like to see pairs of Kingdom cards that are always in the Supply together. I think a lot of interesting design space could be opened by allowing a Kingdom card to reference another specific Kingdom card. It might work better for a full-sized set, though. 13 pairs of cards is a lot more variety than 6 pairs of cards.

I could see a village effect being such a kingdom card.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 06:12:01 pm »

I hope a card that synergises with pearl diver chains will come out. Just because otherwise Pearl Diver chains often become incredibly useless with say, a duchy, at the bottom of your deck.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

play2draw

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 06:44:40 pm »

If memory serves me right, the cards in this expansion were made after all the other ones (even the expansion coming out next fall). I'm hoping that at some point we get an expansion that's module-based (e.g. adding stuff that are not Kingdom Cards).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 07:39:11 pm »

I would love to see more VP chip cards (or Duration cards, though Donald has been pretty unequivocal in stating there will never be any more), but I would guess chances are slim. They'd have to put another set of VP tokens in the box, since each expansion comes with the bits that are required for that expansion - so that you're only required to own that expansion plus one of the stand-alone sets.

Let's see if I can rampantly speculate on a mechanic that might be a focus for a future expansion.... How about, goal cards? (OK, I had already guessed that wrong for Cornucopia.) Powerful, optional one-shots? (Like Mining Village.) Tokens that can be accumulated and used later for basic stuff like +Buy or +Action? Negative coinage on powerful attack cards?

If I remember correctly, Donald X (and feel free to correct me!) doesn't like to make one-shot cards, because a lot of people hate one-shot cards, apparently.  There are still only three, being one each in each of the first three sets.

What I've found is that each expansion, besides adding a new mechanic, actually produces a paradigm shift in how the game is viewed.  Intrigue added choice, but the addition of mixed-type cards made you think of other possible pairings.  Seaside added Duration cards, but really made you think about, in a more subtle way, preparing for your next turn.  Alchemy added the Potion, obviously, but cards like Scrying Pool made you really think about Actions, and the Philosopher's Stone was the first Kingdom Treasure, making us think about having additional Treasures in the supply.  Prosperity added Victory tokens and more Treasures, as well as Colony/Platinum, but the paradigm shift was the expensive cards - I've got $8; do I get a Province, or a King's Court?  Cornucopia promoted diversity, which really is its shift.  Rather than just spamming Grand Markets, Cornucopia makes you want to have a diverse deck.  Hinterlands, with the when-gain cards, builds upon Seaside's "next turn" mentality, as well as adding yet one more thing to keep in mind when purchasing cards.  Noble Brigand is there - do I really want Gold/Silver?  Ill-Gotten Gains is there - do I really want to skip the trasher or Watchtower?

So, what paradigm shift will the next expansion bring?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 09:20:44 pm »

If I remember correctly, Donald X (and feel free to correct me!) doesn't like to make one-shot cards, because a lot of people hate one-shot cards, apparently.  There are still only three, being one each in each of the first three sets.

There are three one-shots in Seaside alone. (Embargo, Island, Treasure Map.)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 11:03:28 pm »

True.  Forgot about the latter two.  Still no more one-shots after Seaside.

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 11:41:38 pm »

What I've found is that each expansion, besides adding a new mechanic, actually produces a paradigm shift in how the game is viewed.  Intrigue added choice, but the addition of mixed-type cards made you think of other possible pairings.  Seaside added Duration cards, but really made you think about, in a more subtle way, preparing for your next turn.  Alchemy added the Potion, obviously, but cards like Scrying Pool made you really think about Actions, and the Philosopher's Stone was the first Kingdom Treasure, making us think about having additional Treasures in the supply.  Prosperity added Victory tokens and more Treasures, as well as Colony/Platinum, but the paradigm shift was the expensive cards - I've got $8; do I get a Province, or a King's Court?  Cornucopia promoted diversity, which really is its shift.  Rather than just spamming Grand Markets, Cornucopia makes you want to have a diverse deck.  Hinterlands, with the when-gain cards, builds upon Seaside's "next turn" mentality, as well as adding yet one more thing to keep in mind when purchasing cards.  Noble Brigand is there - do I really want Gold/Silver?  Ill-Gotten Gains is there - do I really want to skip the trasher or Watchtower?

So, what paradigm shift will the next expansion bring?

Technically, Intrigue had Harem.  (Nitpick...)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 11:44:27 pm »

True.  Forgot about the latter two.  Still no more one-shots after Seaside.
I mean, did you miss where I said "optional" and mentioned Mining Village?

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 12:28:11 am »

The empty pile mechanic on City is interesting. I'd like to see more cards in that vein. Donald X. said Young Witch was originally going to "grow up" when a pile emptied.  I think an attack that scales like City could be interesting (or terrible).
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 06:14:23 am »

The empty pile mechanic on City is interesting. I'd like to see more cards in that vein. Donald X. said Young Witch was originally going to "grow up" when a pile emptied.  I think an attack that scales like City could be interesting (or terrible).

How about an attack that scales down? It starts out as an awesome attack but diminishes as cards deplete or tokens are gained - like an anti pirate ship.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 06:45:29 am »
+1

Threads like this are just an excuse to discuss variants in the General Dominion board, am I right?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 10:40:13 am »

Threads like this are just an excuse to discuss variants in the General Dominion board, am I right?

>.>  No...  <.<

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 10:49:22 am »

... Well they are. The one for Hinterlands was just a thread where people posted their own fan-made cards or ideas for "new types" of cards and just saying "I think it will be like this...", and this thread is exactly the same. If that's not what the Variants subforum was made for I don't know what is.

Nothing against you personally, it's just the way I see it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 11:23:19 am »

Well, the Variants subforum tends to include outrageous things that Donald X (pardon me if I'm stepping on your design space) would probably never include - like the Leaders expansion, or the permanent Rule Change cards.  Whereas this would be about what, realistically, could possibly be included in another expansion.  I'm also trying to engage a discussion about the paradigm shifts, but I think that got shot down by nitpicking...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.