Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession + X  (Read 7878 times)

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
Possession + X
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:32:09 pm »

What happens when a possessed player plays:

Beggar?
Explorer?
Mine?
Receives a curse from Torturer?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Possession + X
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 08:35:04 pm »
+1

The possessor gains the cards instead, into eir discard pile.

(How is a possessed player going to receive a curse from Torturer?)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 08:39:44 pm »

Dunno. Was just a last-second addition to the list. And so same goes with Tournament, into the possessor's discard pile?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:43:15 pm »

Dunno. Was just a last-second addition to the list. And so same goes with Tournament, into the possessor's discard pile?

Yes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:59:37 am »
+1

The better question is how does a possessed player play "Receives a curse from Torturer"? I don't think that's an actual card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 12:05:11 pm »

When would it be a good idea to play Possession while you're Possessing someone in a two-player game?  I guess one case is when you have a dud hand, like five Curses or something.

Edit: Okay, it's not a rules question, but I didn't want to make another thread~

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:08:17 pm »
+8

When would it be a good idea to play Possession while you're Possessing someone in a two-player game?  I guess one case is when you have a dud hand, like five Curses or something.

Edit: Okay, it's not a rules question, but I didn't want to make another thread~

You just get a thrill from relinquishing control, 50 Shades of Grey style.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Heisenberg

• Baron
  • I am the one who knocks!
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 02:35:29 pm »

While possessing an opponent, can you buy Mandarin to have them top deck all treasures to give them a dead hand?

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 03:04:42 pm »
+1

While possessing an opponent, can you buy Mandarin to have them top deck all treasures to give them a dead hand?

While not possessing an opponent, can you buy Mandarin and top-deck all your treasures to give yourself a bad hand?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:05:49 pm »
+1

While not possessing an opponent, can you buy Mandarin and top-deck all your treasures to give yourself a bad hand?

While Possessing an opponent, can you buy Mandarin to junk yourself with a Mandarin?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 03:26:40 pm »
+3

Well 5 Coppers isn't a terrible hand; they can still buy a good card. What you need to do is topdeck 5 Horn of Plenties!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 03:29:15 pm »
+3

Well 5 Coppers isn't a terrible hand; they can still buy a good card. What you need to do is topdeck 5 Horn of Plenties!

Plot twist: Opponent has a 7VP lead and there are six Curses left in the supply with two piles empty and wins next turn.

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 04:56:17 am »
+3

Not you buy, but possessed opponent .

Mandarin has on-gain trigger, not on-buy trigger.

Possessed opponent does not gain Mandarin.

So treasures gets discarded and not topdecked, when Mandarin gets bougt in possessed turn.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 05:34:57 am »

Not you buy, but possessed opponent .

Mandarin has on-gain trigger, not on-buy trigger.

Possessed opponent does not gain Mandarin.

So treasures gets discarded and not topdecked, when Mandarin gets bougt in possessed turn.

So the edge case was... moot?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 10:18:45 am »

You would somehow need Duration Treasures, which can't exist because of Herbalist's wording.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 04:28:28 pm »

You would somehow need Duration Treasures, which can't exist because of Herbalist's wording.

I looked at the wording and there is no problem. I mean, you're saying (even from a super-technical perspective) that Donald couldn't add a few sentences in the rulebook sheet regarding specifically (or generically) Herbalist + Duration Treasures?

Also, I still don't see the confliction.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 05:22:22 pm »

I looked at the wording and there is no problem. I mean, you're saying (even from a super-technical perspective) that Donald couldn't add a few sentences in the rulebook sheet regarding specifically (or generically) Herbalist + Duration Treasures?

The problem is that, if you remove the Treasure from play, there's nothing left to track what it does on the next turn. Just because a Duration card leaves play doesn't mean its next-turn effect is cancelled. So it's a tracking issue.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 05:38:54 pm »
+1

The problem is that, if you remove the Treasure from play, there's nothing left to track what it does on the next turn. Just because a Duration card leaves play doesn't mean its next-turn effect is cancelled. So it's a tracking issue.
No worse than the one that exists with Procession + Durations, though.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 05:45:09 pm »

It is worse because with Procession + Durations, the Procession stays in play to remind you.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 06:00:55 pm »
+6

It is worse because with Procession + Durations, the Procession stays in play to remind you.

Not with Procession + Procession + Duration!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 06:06:17 pm »
+2

Not with Procession + Procession + Duration!

I would keep the first Procession in play, official ruling be damned.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 06:11:31 pm »

Mint could also cause this tracking issue with a Duration Treasure.

You could include a tracking token with the new card for use on edge cases.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 08:47:07 pm »

Sounds like a serious case of over-thinking. Just my opinion. I'm not a programmer.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:59 am »
+3

Definitely over-thinking, but is that not a major theme around these parts?

I think a lot of people can do without tracking for this type of thing, but when I play games IRL, I have found that, for a lot of people, tracking the game state comes second to socializing (not that there is anything wrong with that). Having ways to easily track the game state is important for people like me who care about silly things like the rules, and want to prevent others from accidentally cheating (or in the case of forgotten Durations, accidentally cheating themselves).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 05:10:14 pm »

Mint could also cause this tracking issue with a Duration Treasure.

As could Mandarin.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.