Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504442 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1800 on: December 20, 2022, 08:10:04 pm »

Reckless Crew
This thing does NOT have to return to the supply. Like at all.

Nearby Peddler
Dear programmers of Dominion Online, please prevent this one from popping up. (I've not encountered this one, but I dread the day I will)

First Mate + Nonterminal trasher
Trash stuff, then draw back to make up for the reduced handsize. First Maid can be quite nuts for sure.

There's no rule that wold prevent Peddler from getting Nearby, so it feels like it would be arbitrary to block that combo ... on the other hand, yeah, with four or more Action cards in play, that's an instant emptying of the pile. In principle you could do the same with Nearby Wayfarer as long as you have at least one other source of +buy - buy a single Copper, then empty out the Wayfarer pile. Of course, that would only be sensible if you have a deck that can support that many terminals (or the +Action adventure token on the Wayfarer pile), or are wanting to empty out a third pile at the end of the game
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: December 21, 2022, 12:06:05 am »
+2

Shaman is really annoying.  That said Enlarge is a nice complement to it.  Trash a good card with enlarge before you gain your card, and then you avoid having to grab from the conveyor belt of garbage that is the Shaman train and get a nice +2 card to boot. Plus then your opponent has to take the crap you were avoiding.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: December 21, 2022, 02:12:21 am »
+1

Just realized that since Flagship doesn't say anything about "on your turn", it can trigger on Reactions that play themselves, such as Caravan Guard or Black Cat
They/them

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: December 21, 2022, 06:07:40 am »
+4

Mandarin + Endless Chalice, which is the sort of thing that makes you realize why Mandarin is a deprecated card.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: December 25, 2022, 12:40:50 am »
+3

Had Emissary with League of Shopkeepers for the first time. Both are meh on their own but this is a legitimate combo --especially with a more reliable liaison to build 10 favor
My opponent has more loot than me

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: January 07, 2023, 08:56:19 am »
+7

Best pairing I could think of for each Trait:

• Cheap Seer - Seer is a great card to gain lots of, which is much easier at $4 (e.g. with Workshop variants), and now it can draw itself
  • Cursed Tiara - Would be Watchtower but Watchtower and Cursed (something else) is likely as good or better. Best Cursed card with Watchtower on the board is probably King's Cache. Tiara wouldn't be far behind it. Even on its own once you have a Tiara in play you can buy cursed Tiaras to topdeck a Tiara and the Loot (or do that multiple times with Tiara and probably the Loot's +buy) and continue the cycle. Shame about the Curses though.
  • Fated Augurs - Play a Herb Gatherer every turn (hopefully to good effect), and as you do that make the bottom decking with Sibyl more like discarding junk. Makes it easier enough to throw Sorcerers into the mix.
  • Fawning Island Shepherd- With Fawning Island, Provinces come with a card that can take it out of circulation while keeping the points. Great for golden decks. Sanctuary would also do this just as well but giving Island the nod for "most improved (and the 2 bonus VP)".
     Edit: Also remembered Rebuild still exists. If you're playing Rebuild, more free Rebuilds as you're doing the thing is very powerful.
    Edit 2: Forgot Shepherd and agree with grrgrrgrr to give it the nod. A great card to appear in your deck as soon as you start greening. Same with other sifters (especially Forum) and Groundskeeper
  • Friendly Village Green Groundskeeper - EDIT: Village Green doesn't play on discard during Clean Up as grrgrrgrr pointed out. Groundskeeper works well as a card you want lots of eventually where the biggest pain is buying them, so the cloning of Friendly works great.
  • Hasty Experiment - For your next shuffle, instead of being a net +2 cards, it's a net +4 Cards and +3 Actions and guaranteed to be at the start of your next turn.
  • Inherited Altar - Less sure about this one. Trashing is great at the opening and Altar helps you get lots of 5s quickly. Maybe inherited Chapel is better though - early trashing is amazing.
  • Inspiring Black Market Cultist - Edit: As mxdata points out, you have plenty of chances to hit a card with chaining Cultists. If you're both going for cultist, even playing Ruins non terminally can be an advantage. Black Market has plenty of chances to be non terminal but isn't as spammable and would rather some cheap non terminal or terminal draw in the kingdom is Inspiring instead.
  • Nearby Peddler - Spammable and not too hard to get to $0 for an instant Pileout. Can also be done with Nearby Wayfarers, but Peddler gets the nod for being non-terminal.
  • Patient Smithy - Or any Terminal Draw. Patient cards can't be drawn dead, so now Terminal Draw cards are spammable.
  • Pious Experiment - Buy in the opening with your $3 hand to trash your estates, and a nice cheap double trasher in general. Experiment has the edge over Port due to cost, usefulness in the opening, and the pile not running out.
  • Reckless Scheme or Merchant Camp  - Reckless Scheme because it's a Lost City that topdecks itself and still does the job of Scheme. Insanely powerful card. 4 Reckless Merchant Camps and you can buy a province every turn - though it's vulnerable to Militia and friends and a lot of redundant +Actions.
  • Rich Sauna - Came to mind as instead of opening Silver/Sauna, you can open Rich Sauna and something else. Rich Merchant is also nice.
  • Shy Faithful Hound - A Hireling, then double Hireling you can open with that doesn't cost an Action to play (and softens discard attacks). Shy Village Green is also nice as a spammable card with no downside to discarding.
  • Tireless Mystic - Easy guessing and stacking. Vassal also works great with Tireless cards but Tireless Vassals might end in dud turns or limit what else you can play.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 10:11:55 pm by NoMoreFun »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: January 08, 2023, 01:27:29 pm »
+2

Scrounge + Peaceful Cult → Guaranteed $5 in opening. Trash an Estate with PC at the start of your buy phase, then use Scrounge to get it back with a $5, effectively canceling out PC's trashing, but getting you a $5 in exchange, which is usually well worth it, in effect, turning a 3/4 opening into a 5/4 opening
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 08, 2023, 03:01:59 pm »
+4

Inspiring Cultist: Each of your chained Cultists can Inspire another Action card - and the best part is that the Inspiring happens after all the chained Cultists have drawn, increasing the likelihood of having useful Action cards in hand. Of course, it's somewhat limited by the fact that Inspire can only work with Action cards that don't already have a copy in play, but it can still be very strong, especially if you have a good variety of Action cards (or one-shots like Experiment)

Also, that combination of names is thematically interesting
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 09, 2023, 01:01:20 am »
+3

Inspiring Cultist ... it's somewhat limited by the fact that Inspire can only work with Action cards that don't already have a copy in play, but it can still be very strong, especially if you have a good variety of Action cards
Sweet -- a way to play all my Ruins! ;)
My opponent has more loot than me

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 12, 2023, 06:56:31 pm »

Pendant/Any Loot has an alright synergy.   8)

I think the most I have gotten was an 8-coin pendant.  I can only imagine how big this would get if you had storyteller in the kingdom.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: January 15, 2023, 11:41:34 pm »
+3

Buy Jeweled Eggs with Watchtower in hand, put a Loot on deck.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 18, 2023, 04:07:59 am »
+3

Cards with similar names don't tend to synergize well...

except for DeLivery!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 18, 2023, 11:08:52 am »
+1

Trickster and any loot is a great combo. But with Prize Goat is an especially amazing combo.  dish a curse and then keep the prize goat as a gold that just lies in wait to eat the curses that they dished you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:10:09 am by Honkeyfresh »

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: January 19, 2023, 12:44:09 pm »
+1

Spell Scroll + Treasurer -- instantly empties the Treasurer pile and gives you $30.

Spell Scroll trashes itself to gain & play a Treasurer, which can pull the Spell Scroll back out of the trash into your hand (and net $3 each time). Repeat until the Treasurer pile is empty.

Lurker is a more fun version - gain 10 Lurkers. Spend the rest of the game, Lurking back the scroll after every play (as only you have Lurkers). You can also mass regain Lurkers if you have any TfB to feed them into (e.g. Forge a province, play Scroll, and then gain back 4 lurkers and the Scroll). If you have the draw/actions to support it, You can also gain 10 cards per shuffle via Lurking.

Something like Apprentice/Jeweled Egg to thin/gain Scroll. (Scroll -> gain Lurk -> gain scroll) x 10. Then Scroll -> Gain Apprenctice -> Lurk Scroll -> Apprentice on themselves for 5 cards, and punch through.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 12:59:05 pm by jomini »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: January 20, 2023, 03:47:24 pm »

Spell Scroll + Treasurer -- instantly empties the Treasurer pile and gives you $30.

Spell Scroll trashes itself to gain & play a Treasurer, which can pull the Spell Scroll back out of the trash into your hand (and net $3 each time). Repeat until the Treasurer pile is empty.

Lurker is a more fun version - gain 10 Lurkers. Spend the rest of the game, Lurking back the scroll after every play (as only you have Lurkers). You can also mass regain Lurkers if you have any TfB to feed them into (e.g. Forge a province, play Scroll, and then gain back 4 lurkers and the Scroll). If you have the draw/actions to support it, You can also gain 10 cards per shuffle via Lurking.

Something like Apprentice/Jeweled Egg to thin/gain Scroll. (Scroll -> gain Lurk -> gain scroll) x 10. Then Scroll -> Gain Apprenctice -> Lurk Scroll -> Apprentice on themselves for 5 cards, and punch through.

This is awesome....  8)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: January 20, 2023, 07:05:09 pm »
+1

Shaman is really annoying.  That said Enlarge is a nice complement to it.  Trash a good card with enlarge before you gain your card, and then you avoid having to grab from the conveyor belt of garbage that is the Shaman train and get a nice +2 card to boot. Plus then your opponent has to take the crap you were avoiding.

Cabin Boy does well with this too. basically a free duration rather than getting the junk.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 21, 2023, 02:52:51 pm »
+3

Best pairing I could think of for each Trait:
I agree with most but the following:

• Fawning Island - Provinces come with a card that can take it out of circulation while keeping the points. Great for golden decks. Sanctuary would also do this just as well but giving Island the nod for "most improved (and the 2 bonus VP)".
     Edit: Also remembered Rebuild still exists. If you're playing Rebuild, more free Rebuilds as you're doing the thing is very powerful.
Island is obviously NOT the best card to pair it with, but it definitely gets nod for most improved as you said. Rebuild indeed is pretty obscene here. But I think the crown goes to Shepherd.

• Friendly Village Green - You still get to meaningfully play it and gain another, great for a spammable card.
This interaction straight up does not work, due to Friendly activating in the Clean up phase. It is still fairly decent though. The best one is probably Groundskeeper.

• Inspiring Black Market - Lots of chances to be non terminal. Knights would also be good.
Eh, no. An Inspiring card likes Black Market on the board, but Inspiring on Black Market is obviously not that great. I think the winner is a Smithy variant, that gets the potiential to become a superlab. (it is nice on Knight though, as it prevents Knight collisions)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 22, 2023, 08:54:12 pm »
+1

Eh, no. An Inspiring card likes Black Market on the board, but Inspiring on Black Market is obviously not that great. I think the winner is a Smithy variant, that gets the potiential to become a superlab. (it is nice on Knight though, as it prevents Knight collisions)

I recently played with Inspiring Torturer.  Just a brutal combo with any +actions around.  I think this may get the nod over Cultist as the ruins are so much better than the curses/discards that torturer brings to bear especially since it is easy to chain both of them with Inspiring.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 09:02:42 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: January 26, 2023, 06:49:00 pm »

Silver Mine and Ducat have really nice synergy.  Swapping a ducat for copper is great, but you often lack the buy to grab them.  So at the beginning it helps you trash your deck, or use Silver Mine to gain silvers to build coin economy.  In the end game adding a coffer/buy out of thin air can be a really nice thing too.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: January 27, 2023, 01:28:22 am »
+1

Delivery will allow you to gain a Siren without trashing a card as the delivery can be resolved before the trashing.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: March 22, 2023, 10:59:04 pm »

Taskmaster and Souk is just nasty.  As long as you keep getting souks you just stack the taskmaster, thus allowing you to play all the souks you have amassed since you have likely thinned all the coppers and estates out of your deck by then anyway.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: March 27, 2023, 03:32:42 am »
+2

Mandarin + Endless Chalice, which is the sort of thing that makes you realize why Mandarin is a deprecated card.

If anything, I think it's the other way around, Endless Chalice exists because Mandarin was removed.

But since that's just a two-card combo, I actually don't think Mandarin would have stopped Donald X. from making Endless Chalice. But I do think that the influx of Treasure Durations is tied to the fact that he decided to remove (almost) all possibilities of moving them from play.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: March 27, 2023, 05:01:43 am »
+1

If anything, I think it's the other way around, Endless Chalice exists because Mandarin was removed.

But since that's just a two-card combo, I actually don't think Mandarin would have stopped Donald X. from making Endless Chalice. But I do think that the influx of Treasure Durations is tied to the fact that he decided to remove (almost) all possibilities of moving them from play.
Yeah, if Mandarin had not been removed it would have been errata'd like Mint to not work on Durations. Problem solved.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: March 27, 2023, 10:11:24 am »

Would have been neat - and I think better for the game - if Durations being prematurely removed from play canceled their effects. Just a quick extra rulebook note that cards set aside with a cancelled Duration are discarded would cover 90% of the uncertainty about what happens with things like Haven.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: March 27, 2023, 10:40:33 am »
+7

Would have been neat - and I think better for the game - if Durations being prematurely removed from play canceled their effects. Just a quick extra rulebook note that cards set aside with a cancelled Duration are discarded would cover 90% of the uncertainty about what happens with things like Haven.

I feel the exact opposite. I think tracking is a nice-to-have but not a necessity, and I don't like all the extra effort that's gone into trying to remove every instance of an effect happening without it being physically tracked, such as Procession errata.

There are already so many thing in the game that require you to remember things for varying lengths of time; it's unavoidable. I think it's much easier to remember "last turn I played a Wharf that's no longer in play, so I draw 2 cards at the start of my turn" than it is to remember which choices you made for a Pawn you played at the start of a long turn that involved playing 10 action cards and drawing your deck.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 12:42:00 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.