Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504426 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1725 on: July 27, 2022, 12:35:20 pm »
+1

Buying a Death Cart with a Cauldron in play = instant Cursing!
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: July 27, 2022, 01:32:08 pm »

Catapult + Trail

It is interesting as Trail can be used as Familiar plus as defense against the handsize attack.

ooh this sounds fun.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: July 27, 2022, 01:33:07 pm »
+2

I imagine if you drank from a cauldron and then saw a death cart coming your way leaving ruins in it's wake you'd be cursing too
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: July 27, 2022, 01:35:04 pm »
+1

Well, is the Curse worse than the two Ruins?
Collection + Death Cart is nice as endgame accelerator.

yeah with 2-4 collections in play this is $ af.  Also played in a Collection/populate deck.  Populate is already usually worth like 40 coins worth of toys.  Now it's worth that and 10-40 vp pts too...

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: July 27, 2022, 02:44:13 pm »

Well, is the Curse worse than the two Ruins?
Collection + Death Cart is nice as endgame accelerator.

Your Death Cart can later trash those Ruins for +$5 each, so depending on how easy it is to line them up, it can be
They/them

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: August 03, 2022, 10:36:54 pm »
+2

In a similar vein, Cauldron + Stonemason.

DaveColMD

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: leafyscreen
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: August 06, 2022, 11:37:15 am »

Trail plus virtually any trash for gain card. Some noteworthy I have actually encountered:

With each you of course get to play the trail and get a card and an action.

Scrap - pick 4 options
Salvager $4,
Bishop - 3 points
Trader - 4 silvers, (very useful with a Feodem)
Forge - trash 2 and get a Province
Expand - gain a card up to $7
Remake - gain a $5 card or 2

The more of these I discover, the more ridiculously potent I think this card is.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:42:54 am by DaveColMD »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: August 07, 2022, 09:18:53 pm »

Any doppleganger card (captain, overlord etc) and way of the horse.  Get to use as way of the horse and then get card back.  Captain gets really bonkers here as your option is play any card or a just use it as a lab.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: August 07, 2022, 09:50:25 pm »
+2

This one is nasty af.  Messenger and Defiled Shrine.  Always has been a good combo on its own as you get the extra buy to buy the curse and get the messenger buy to add vp to the file.  Well, that option is still avail, but new errata adds a nasty hook.  You can also now just opt to gain the curse as the messenger gained card.  Since you gain yours first you take all the vp and get to hand out a curse to boot! Plus you get to spend all remaining coins on cards not just wasted like usual when u choose to buy the curse.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: August 07, 2022, 10:21:19 pm »

Trail plus virtually any trash for gain card. Some noteworthy I have actually encountered:

With each you of course get to play the trail and get a card and an action.

Scrap - pick 4 options
Salvager $4,
Bishop - 3 points
Trader - 4 silvers, (very useful with a Feodem)
Forge - trash 2 and get a Province
Expand - gain a card up to $7
Remake - gain a $5 card or 2

The more of these I discover, the more ridiculously potent I think this card is.

research is pretty great. get a village and 4 cards next turn

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1735 on: August 07, 2022, 10:32:00 pm »
+3

I think we all know by now that Trail interacts with trashing. It, like, says it right on the card itself.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: August 07, 2022, 10:52:07 pm »

I think we all know by now that Trail interacts with trashing. It, like, says it right on the card itself.

This is off topic.  This thread is to discuss Neat and potentially useful card interactions, not what you think that we all know.

Imrahil3

• Bishop
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: August 08, 2022, 01:44:50 am »
+1

This is off topic.  This thread is to discuss Neat and potentially useful card interactions, not what you think that we all know.

This is off topic. The fact that a card does what it says is not neat.

Unless it is… in which case, Workshop pairs great with Silver.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: August 09, 2022, 03:10:25 am »
+1

Monkey and Black cat has a super nasty interaction.  Because you get a card when they draw the curse too, which also enables you to draw more black cats to add to the carnage.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: August 14, 2022, 12:23:55 pm »
+3

Tide pools and Guide/desert nomads. B/c you can choose to resolve the tide pools discard first, u can just use the guide to draw an entirely new hand. It's like putting everything on a credit card, but never having to actually pay it off.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1740 on: August 16, 2022, 06:12:01 pm »
+2

Buying Berserker when you have any Action in play activates Colonnade, since it puts itself into play while Colonnade's trigger window is still open. Then using the Berserker's on-play to gain a copy of the Action you already had in play activates it a second time, which gives you a free +4 VP on top of what would already be probably at least a decent move without the extra VP.

Then, unless someone gains Colonnade points some other way, the points are going to get split unevenly for at least a 4 VP difference.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: August 17, 2022, 12:27:34 am »

Buying Berserker when you have any Action in play activates Colonnade, since it puts itself into play while Colonnade's trigger window is still open. Then using the Berserker's on-play to gain a copy of the Action you already had in play activates it a second time, which gives you a free +4 VP on top of what would already be probably at least a decent move without the extra VP.

Then, unless someone gains Colonnade points some other way, the points are going to get split unevenly for at least a 4 VP difference.

This is really good to know.  But isn't it s glitch?  Colonnade is supposed to only activate when you gain a card with it in play.  You gain the Berzerker before the berzerker plays, and thus don't have a berserker in play until after the gain? so how does it count itself for colonnade?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1742 on: August 17, 2022, 04:53:44 am »
+1

This is really good to know.  But isn't it s glitch?  Colonnade is supposed to only activate when you gain a card with it in play.  You gain the Berzerker before the berzerker plays, and thus don't have a berserker in play until after the gain? so how does it count itself for colonnade?

It works exactly like it's supposed to.

• 1. Gaining Berserker opens the "when you gain a Berserker" trigger window
  • 2. Then everything that triggers from "when you gain a Berserker" keeps triggering until the window closes, which it does when there are no more things that trigger from it:
    • 2a. Berserker itself triggers from "when you gain a Berserker" and puts it into play
    • 2b. then we check if there's anything else that can trigger from "when you gain a Berserker" and if there is, it triggers, otherwise the window closes
    • 2c. we see that Colonnade can now trigger from "when you gain a Berserker" because the Berserker is a copy of an Action you have in play
    • 2d. then we check if there's anything else that can trigger from "when you gain a Berserker", but now we've finished resolving everything so the window closes

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: August 17, 2022, 11:12:47 pm »

Garisson + populate = bonanza.  Obviously loading your deck with 7 or so action cards and then drawing about half of them the next turn has some advantages...
I had a 9 action board and with a garisson in play and a few good gainers (Governor, hill fort--always w/garisson too, falconer) drew me something like a 14 or 15 card card bonus on the next hand. 19/20 card hands turn out to play pretty well!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 11:14:50 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: August 17, 2022, 11:23:40 pm »

It works exactly like it's supposed to.

• 1. Gaining Berserker opens the "when you gain a Berserker" trigger window
  • 2. Then everything that triggers from "when you gain a Berserker" keeps triggering until the window closes, which it does when there are no more things that trigger from it:
    • 2a. Berserker itself triggers from "when you gain a Berserker" and puts it into play
    • 2b. then we check if there's anything else that can trigger from "when you gain a Berserker" and if there is, it triggers, otherwise the window closes
    • 2c. we see that Colonnade can now trigger from "when you gain a Berserker" because the Berserker is a copy of an Action you have in play
    • 2d. then we check if there's anything else that can trigger from "when you gain a Berserker", but now we've finished resolving everything so the window closes

Everything from 2 on makes sense to me. But I just don't see why 1 is true.  I mean I believe you, but reading word by word it seems that the "when you gain a berzerker trigger window" is considered activated as by the wording of the card the berserker occurs first.
It says when you get this, play this, but since you never gain the second berserker I don't see how colonnade applies since it applies when you get another copy of a card in play, not itself when its only played once.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1745 on: August 17, 2022, 11:48:53 pm »
+1

It says when you get this, play this, but since you never gain the second berserker I don't see how colonnade applies since it applies when you get another copy of a card in play, not itself when its only played once.

It doesn't have to be another copy, it just has to be a copy. It's fine if the copy you're gaining and the copy you have in play are both the same copy.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: August 18, 2022, 04:30:04 pm »

It doesn't have to be another copy, it just has to be a copy. It's fine if the copy you're gaining and the copy you have in play are both the same copy.
I get it now.  Had to re-read the specific syntax of colonnade a little more but now it totally makes sense.  Thanks for the OG post and for explaining it 7 times, sometimes It takes a while to get through my thick skull....  This combo is actually pretty nasty, especially if you can spring it on someone who doesn't yet have a berserker and can pin them someway (voyage, island folk, seize the day etc).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 07:06:48 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: August 21, 2022, 04:57:43 am »
+6

Bought a Captain, played it with City State to play a Camel, exiled a Captain, still considered to be in the "when you gain" moment, discarded Captain from exile.
My opponent has more loot than me

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: August 25, 2022, 12:06:49 am »

Sailor/souk, or church/souk, luckily i had both which was even better!

But sailor helps Souk a lot.  Its a + actions stop card, so you get cards out of your hand which souk likes.  It helps add coins and trash on your next turn, enabling more souk gaining, or trashing with the +2 on duration, or just adding coins to a souk in that hand by lessening hand size.

church is fairly obvious as its a + action card that can pull cards out of your hand to enable your souks, and also trash to lessen the next hand, since odds are you'll have a souk there too. Also helps if you need to collide + action cards and multiple souks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:08:43 am by Honkeyfresh »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: August 26, 2022, 07:12:58 am »
+6

Charm + Peddler/Prince: Charms can gain you multiple Provinces.
I just discovered this in a kingdom with Prince and Charm. Since you are using your Charms on the Prince, I think an appropriate name for this strategy is "Prince Charming".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.