Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504381 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1700 on: April 11, 2022, 04:37:54 pm »

Way of the Horse + Sycophant is pretty nice. It makes buying Sycophant essentially like buying Ride, except that you also get +2 Favors
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 12, 2022, 04:58:00 pm »

Prince of Underling can be really strong with the right Ally. I had a game with League of Shopkeepers and that combination, so I was getting +2 Actions +1 Card +$1 +1 Buy at the start of every turn (I'd already reached 10 Favors before I even Princed it). Underling with that Ally is already pretty strong, considering how fast you can accumulate Favors with it
They/them

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 13, 2022, 11:42:48 pm »

Donate + Leprechaun
I was able to get 7 Provinces in 12 turns with this. I lost to an Inventor-Fairgrounds engine, but it's still worth considering if you see it. Only half of the Hexes will actually hurt you. Of those, Misery and Locusts only do minor damage.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 17, 2022, 05:00:35 pm »
+3

Capitalism + Sycophant is an interesting combination. It doesn't really work for multiple copies, but if you have just one in hand going into your buy phase, you can use it after spending all your other Treasures, and only have to discard Victory cards or unused Actions. Of course, this wouldn't work very well in games with strong trashing, but the game it came up in had no trashing, so most of the time I had a Victory card or two in hand going into my buy phase
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 23, 2022, 11:34:39 am »
+5

Has Swap + Emporium been mentioned already?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 05, 2022, 11:29:35 am »
+5

Ambassador/Wild Hunt. For when you want a clay-court game.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1706 on: July 10, 2022, 01:10:33 pm »
+5

Souk/Gamble is pretty neat. If you have no cards in hand/deck/discard and at least $7, you can gain the entire Souk pile in one turn, and then the Souks are generally at least Golds for your Gamble deck and better if you get any Treasures or disappearing Actions in your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 11, 2022, 03:37:06 am »

Capital City + Guard Dog is a nice combo. By discarding for the +$2, you can then set up your hand to get +4 Cards from Guard Dog
They/them

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 19, 2022, 04:21:51 pm »
+3

Groundskeeoer ./. Way of the Rat

In a Gronudskeeper kingdom, it is hard to find the sweet spot when to start gaining Groundskeepers. As cantrips, Groundskeepers do not work towards hands that can afford more Groundskeepers. But Way of the Rat enables the very Groundkeepers to gain more of their kin, thus allowing to start purchasing them quite early in the game.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 20, 2022, 05:13:01 am »

Possession + Odysseys
Make sure you get your Sunken Treasure before it's too late!

I don't get this one... are you just saying because it lets you gain Possessions easily?
It lets you gain Possessions easier than anything we have seen before; the significance of that cannot be overstated enough. On top of that, Voyage is also excellent for getting multiple Possession plays.

In the game on which I got this interaction, I opened with Old Map, got a Voyage and a Sunken Treasure, and always cycled until Distant Shore was on top. My opponent underestimated the importance of that pile (or should I say: the urgency of getting stuff thereof) and got none of these. By the time I played my first Possession (on a Voyage turn), I had two of these, and my opponent was like: "let's get the hell out of here."

ouch.  This is a nasty interaction.  How many possession & voyage turns could you link together.  The other player might as well make a sandwich,
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: July 20, 2022, 05:23:29 am »
+4

It's strong, but it's not particularly nasty (you're just getting lots of extra turns for yourself rather than doing damage to your opponent).

I've had Possession/Way of the Horse. Now that one is nasty.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 20, 2022, 05:19:05 pm »

It's strong, but it's not particularly nasty (you're just getting lots of extra turns for yourself rather than doing damage to your opponent).

wow that would be nasty. tossing back your opponent's possessions oof
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 20, 2022, 05:28:51 pm »
+2

wow that would be nasty. tossing back your opponent's possessions oof

Well that, plus literally all of their other Actions.

DaveColMD

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: leafyscreen
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 21, 2022, 09:33:15 am »

Toil/Tactician.
You get to play your hand, buy something, keep 2, buy a toil, then get to play the tactician. You must have a card left in your hand to discard.

Toil/Prince
Ensures you have something to Prince using the toil. Save an action.

Quarry/Toil/Prince
Same as above except you can prince an action card worth up to 6.
Since quarry only reduces the cost in the buy phase, the cost of cards will be reduced by the time you buy the toil.

This same thing would work with Highway(s)/Prince or Highway/Toil/Prince - that is princing a card costing > 4

DaveColMD

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: leafyscreen
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 21, 2022, 09:45:06 am »
+1

KC/KC/Scheme/Scheme/X - best if X is + cards or +$

A killer guaranteed to get you a province or colony every turn and can't be stopped.
You get to keep the same 5 cards every hand.

The only way this doesn't work is if there is a hand size attack or a masquerade or some other card that makes you trash a card from your hand.
Even a hand size attack only slows it down.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 21, 2022, 12:12:47 pm »

Has Swap + Emporium been mentioned already?

Not that it was too hard to figure out but swap is pretty amazing when ur opponent starts tossing ruins at u...

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 21, 2022, 02:12:55 pm »
+1

KC/KC/Scheme/Scheme/X - best if X is + cards or +$

A killer guaranteed to get you a province or colony every turn and can't be stopped.
You get to keep the same 5 cards every hand.

The only way this doesn't work is if there is a hand size attack or a masquerade or some other card that makes you trash a card from your hand.
Even a hand size attack only slows it down.
This is an old trick, but it’s good enough that it’s worth mentioning again.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 21, 2022, 04:48:08 pm »

In a surprise to no one, Trail is very good w any workshop variant, as terminals become cantrips and cantrips become Villages. But specifically, Altar really shines with it.  Altar is great but its terminality and how it starts to prevent u from hitting 8 in some decks.  Trashing coppers/junk for 5's and getting a cantrip?  Plus sometimes u just trash trail and get the other side of the trail bonus, and a 5-cost card. Really really good. Like usually ignore gold kind of good. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1718 on: July 21, 2022, 05:40:11 pm »
+1

Like usually ignore gold kind of good.

So a completely unremarkable, indistinguishable from nothing kind of good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 22, 2022, 02:28:00 am »

Like usually ignore gold kind of good.

So a completely unremarkable, indistinguishable from nothing kind of good.

Why?  there are a lot times you should optimally gain gold over Altar. On other boards it doesn't work so well.  On a lot of those boards trails presence creates a very positive interaction. 

Not every positive interaction has to be earth-shattering.

and just to be clear I mean ignore gold. as in like never buy it unless maybe viz a biz bandit etc. Not like get altar before gold or something.  And that is not always the case with the 6 cost cards.

A similar case could be made for getting terminal cards like Vault since trails discard turns it into a vaulting labratory.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 02:33:42 am by Honkeyfresh »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1720 on: July 22, 2022, 08:57:44 am »

Why?  there are a lot times you should optimally gain gold over Altar.

Sure, if you already have an Altar. There aren't a lot of times you should optimally gain Gold over the $5 Actions in the kingdom.

Slice7

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 24, 2022, 12:10:07 pm »
+1

Collection / Way of the Horse
Found this in a game, but is way better with trashing or strong engine pieces. It can even create a golden deck. As long as you can draw your hand and have 3-5 Collections, you can do the following:

1.) Draw your hand
2.) Buy 2-5 cheap action cards ($2-$3) with Collection's buy and payload, gaining between 6-25 VP with it
3.) Use Way of the Horse to return them to the supply, while also helping you draw your entire hand
4.) Repeat

This is especially good with Chapel. Chapel, as one of not the best trasher, is fast enough to give you a hand of 4 Collections and a Silver pretty early into the game, where you can then buy 5 Chapels for 20 VP each turn. Since Way of the Horse returns cards to the Supply on your turn, people can't counter this by buying all the Chapels after you set up.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 27, 2022, 12:24:30 am »

Not that this one requires a PHD to figure out but Toil and Souk is just bonkers.  as long as you have 2 coins avail you play every souk without the coins deducting your souk+7.  2 coins and 3 souks produces 12 coins.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 27, 2022, 09:35:30 am »
+4

Barbarian / Scrying Pool

This is vicious. Not only can you manipulate the top of your opponent's deck with Scrying Pool to get a perfect target, you can also turn their Scrying Pools into Curses.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 27, 2022, 11:35:32 am »
+1

Not that this one requires a PHD to figure out but Toil and Souk is just bonkers.  as long as you have 2 coins avail you play every souk without the coins deducting your souk+7.  2 coins and 3 souks produces 12 coins.

Capitalism + Souk is even stronger, not even needing the $2
They/them
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.