Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 506077 times)

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1575 on: November 26, 2020, 01:24:29 pm »
+3

Livery/Academy

With a cube on Academy playing Livery is more or less like playing 3 Peddlers, if you gain a card costing $4 or more. With +buys and multiple Liverys you are quite soon at a point, where you never need to worry about Actions again and wish that the Horse pile would be bigger.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:32:37 pm by Rhodos »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: November 26, 2020, 09:37:18 pm »
+2

Livery/Academy

With a cube on Academy playing Livery is more or less like playing 3 Peddlers, if you gain a card costing $4 or more. With +buys and multiple Liverys you are quite soon at a point, where you never need to worry about Actions again and wish that the Horse pile would be bigger.

Paddock has a similar effect with Academy.  Less money ($2 as opposed to $3), but more villagers and horses
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: November 30, 2020, 09:45:24 pm »
+1

Paddock + Innovation essentially turns the first Paddock you play (assuming no other gainers played before it) into +$2 +2 Cards +1 [at least] Action Gain 1 Horse
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: December 04, 2020, 02:31:48 pm »

Livery/Academy

Paddock has a similar effect with Academy.  Less money ($2 as opposed to $3), but more villagers and horses

once you get academy its almost hard to ever run out of actions.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: December 05, 2020, 02:55:05 pm »

Livery/Academy

once you get academy its almost hard to ever run out of actions.

Depends on the game, really.  If there's a lot of non-terminal actions, you're right.  But games where most or all actions are terminal, you can still easily run out of actions even with Academy
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1352
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #1580 on: February 18, 2021, 10:44:55 am »
+2

played a 4p game with IGG and Trader. Didn't really think about how Trader can actually kinda block the attack of IGG and skipped it. Took the bulk of the 30-deep curse pile.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 18, 2021, 12:19:32 pm »
+3

played a 4p game with IGG and Trader. Didn't really think about how Trader can actually kinda block the attack of IGG and skipped it. Took the bulk of the 30-deep curse pile.
Yup. Trader has three good functions in IGG games:
1) Blocking the Curses before they come in
2) Trashing the Curses if they do make it into your deck
3) Turning your IGGs into five Silvers.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 20, 2021, 04:07:01 pm »
+3

Recently played a game with mastermind supplies.  Having 2 MM's and 2 supplies pretty much guarantees you draw your deck even when it gets bloated with green, and have A MM on deck for the next round.  Somehow the guy I was playing missed the boat and bought neither cards (until a late supplies when it was way too late) and I ended up getting all 8 provinces with some banks/barges  sprinkled in the deck.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:13:26 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +767
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 22, 2021, 12:46:53 am »

4) Turning coppers into Silvers if you have <$3
5) Piling out the silvers to end game (e.g. in a 3 player game with 40 silvers you can expect Silvers to get significantly depleted with just 2 or 3 Traders each).

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 19, 2021, 01:48:49 am »

Border Guard as Young Witch's Bane: Whoever has the Horn has effective immunity to Young Witch, since they're guaranteed to have Border Guard in their hand (well, in most cases - attacks like Minion or Plunder played before Young Witch could negate that)
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: March 19, 2021, 03:53:18 am »

4) Turning coppers into Silvers if you have <$3
5) Piling out the silvers to end game (e.g. in a 3 player game with 40 silvers you can expect Silvers to get significantly depleted with just 2 or 3 Traders each).
6) Gaining a Silver instead of a Copper when playing IGG, if you have it in hand when you play it (most of the time you'd prefer to use Trader's trashing, so this is mostly only useful if you didn't have enough Actions to play it)
They/them

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 22, 2021, 08:46:22 am »
+1

I've not seen Horse+Changeling mentioned yet. It feels like the Changeling pile would empty pretty quickly...

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 26, 2021, 08:40:11 pm »

two ones that i'm adding from this thread http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20764.new#new

It just occurred to me that Village Green makes Tactician potentially actually Throneable.  If you Throne a Tactician with a Village Green in hand, and use the VG's reaction for this turn, then you have a card in hand to discard for the second play of Tactician, and you'd start your next turn with +10 cards +2 Actions +2 Buys!  You could potentially even KC it, although it would only work if the card drawn by VG was another VG.  But if you could pull that off, then you'd have +15 Cards +3 Actions +3 Buys for your next turn

This one's probably more well known but Way of The Mole + VG works for +6 cards, just Mole anything and then Mole the first VG (but not any other) you discard
how does this get you six cards?  i am confused.  Wouldn't you just get +1 additional card if you discarded a moled vg?

You discard your entire hand.  That includes a VG.  You play the VG for way of the Mole, get +3 cards.  Then, you get the +3 cards for the first Mole

Oh, interesting, I didn't realize this would work like that, but I just tested it online and it does. Am I right that the sequence goes like this:

1. Play something as Way of the Mole.
2. +1 Action, Discard your hand.
3. Village Green gets discarded and gets played before the "+3 cards" of the previous Mole.
4. Choose to play Village Green as Way of the Mole.
5. +1 Action, Discard your hand (0 cards). +3 cards.
6. Draw the +3 cards from the remainder of the Way of the Mole in step 2. You now have 6 cards.

Exactly.  If a reaction is triggered partway through resolving a card, then you resolve the reaction before continuing on with the rest of the card.  So, in this case, any reactions to being discarded come before the +3 Cards.  The same would apply if you discarded a Tunnel, which could be relevant if the +3 Cards caused you to reshuffle

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 29, 2021, 10:53:44 pm »

Capitalism makes Crypt a lot more flexible.  And it also works really weird with Duration cards that Capitalism turns into Treasures.  Since Crypt doesn't specify "that you would discard this turn" (obviously, since before Renaissance that would've been redundant), you can set aside a Duration card that you played that same turn, and still get the Duration effect on the next turn.  You can even play that card a second time on the same turn that you get the Duration effect!
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 10, 2021, 12:50:59 pm »

Really nice interaction between peasant/page lines and way of the Mouse when the Moused card is a cantrip (in my game it was scheme). Buy as many pages or peasants as you want.  You will never have a problem say getting stuck with 3 silver hunters/warriors/soldiers in same hand.  Play the page/peasant as mouse and your still get to swap the card at the end of the turn.  So you get like twice as fast deck cycling to get to the champion/Teacher etc.  It was pretty fun with scheme top decking 4 warriors and repeatedly tossing my opponents cards so that he had to wait another shuffle to even have a shot of keeping em.

Note this also works with Way of the Pig

Ox and Mule also help, though not as much since they don't have draw.  But they do at least give you a way to make your Travellers non-terminal

I just played a rather ridonkulous game  with Way of the Frog and Peasant line.  For the first half of the game I essentially bought as many peasants as i could without regard to the availability of + actions.  Then just frog every terminal peasant/soldier/teacher  as necessary.  Since they were in play they get exchanged even though you never actually play them in the traditional sense. Also allowed me to buy wharves with impunity as I didn't fear the collision of peasant and wharf-- like here where i was able to open 5/2 wharf.peasant, and then use peasant and wharf in same hand to flip peasant and cycle my deck faster. Creates just a massive onrush peasant line.  Got to teacher like 3x as fast as my opponent and then had disciples galore to just rape the bandit camps/wharves.  Really bonkers interaction here. :P One added bonus is that usually when you make a really neat move it is  patently  obvious, and if the other person can do it too it you they just copy it.  People don't always pay attention to what other players are swapping on travelers, and many just have the "auto swap travelers" clicked. I don't think my opponent even noticed I was doing it, as I checked the log and he only ever once top decked a traveler so he probably didn't even notice that it happened to him too.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 03:52:23 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: June 21, 2021, 10:47:50 am »
+2

Fortress in a Kingdom with both Travelling Fair and Advance... 8)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 25, 2021, 10:41:48 am »

Innovation and anything is pretty amazing.  One of my #1 MUST buy events absent rare board configurations.  One super ridonkulous combo I just crushed with was Tactician.  In my game it was added by Kilns, supplies and grandmarkets, but it basically allows you to double tactician on every hand regardless of needing to draw a 2nd one, and with the incredibly overpowerful bonus of being able to spend all the coins/gold in your hand to aid in your 2x tactican quest, because after playing all your coins (or all but one if you have no unused action cards/VP cards to leave for the innovated tac to discard) you then discard the tactician, which puts a '2x tac engine on fucking nitrous oxide.. after youve already built up a ton of banked coins.  I was able to have 2 turns where i 2x provinced and then hit a tactician after that. Closed the game on a Triple province.  I was able to get all 8 provinces in that one, and it was fairly quick too.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 25, 2021, 03:37:44 pm »

Just played a game with Sanctuary, Supplies, Groom, Wayfarer, and the event Triumph. My opponent completely ignored Triumph, letting me rack up the points.  With all the draw from Wayfarer and the Horses, the Exiling from Sanctuary, and gaining a bunch of Horses each turn, Triumph was really valuable.  Most turns I was able to draw my deck (Sanctuary coming in really handy there), and having 5 Supplies, those alone were giving me 5 gained cards each turn, plus the Silver gaining from Wayfarer.  By the time my opponent resigned, on turn 14, I had emptied the Estates pile, having bought Triumph 7 times (my opponent bought an Estate on one turn) and had 62 VP tokens for a total of 72 VP, while my opponent only had a total of 22 points, consisting of 4 Estates and 3 Provinces.  That means I ended up with almost as many points as if I'd bought a Colony on each of those 7 buys, and for only 5 debt each time!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 28, 2021, 01:38:33 am »

Citadel + Hireling = +2 Cards every turn.  Of course, since Hireling is terminal, unless you have villagers, you can't do much on the turn you play the Hireling, but the even-stronger draw can compensate
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1398
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 28, 2021, 06:39:12 am »
+2

Tracker + Way of the Pig, greater than the sum of its parts
My opponent has more loot than me

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 05, 2021, 12:33:48 am »
+2

Ways are phenomenal for most cards with below the line in-play text.

Bridge troll becomes highly flexible as an optional highway. Groundskeeper can become both payload and draw for an Owl or Mole drawing deck. Goons becomes much more tolerant of low village setups as Pig/Mole/Mule/Ox and works quite well as Owl for the self-counter and VP boost. Haggler can lead to idiotic numbers of gains if you swap cash for being non-terminal.

Even way of the Frog can be killer (e.g. spiking more VP off something like Necropolis/Goons).

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1682
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 15, 2021, 12:30:08 am »
+1

Livery + Academy + multiple buys

I had an irl game recently where this combo came up. I was the only one who noticed the Livery + Academy combo, and I was producing Villagers so fast, I only had one Village in my entire deck, and the rest of my Action cards were terminal, AND I was drawing my deck every turn, and I was STILL getting Villagers faster than I was spending them.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 16, 2021, 11:52:44 pm »

Livery + Academy + multiple buys

I had an irl game recently where this combo came up. I was the only one who noticed the Livery + Academy combo, and I was producing Villagers so fast, I only had one Village in my entire deck, and the rest of my Action cards were terminal, AND I was drawing my deck every turn, and I was STILL getting Villagers faster than I was spending them.
As previously noted, villagers come fast and furious in most Horse games. Sleigh and Cavalry become Labs with some Patron-like flexibility. Livery goes cantrip with one >$4 gain and reaches Champion level with additional gains. Even Groom and Hostelry can generate a few Acting troupes over the course of the game. Even Scrap can generate a lot of villagers to significantly impact the game (e.g. trashing a silver at the end of each turn can give you a villager and a horse to increase odds of successful draw the next turn). Event the events are mostly strong. Ride converts buy and coins to actions and draw which is usually a winning trade. Stampede is basically like playing two Acting troupes while demand can turn $4 cantrips into a cantrip + most of an Acting Troupe.

End of the day, Horse is a cantrip that is cheap to acquire. Academy makes cheap cantrips really powerful. Whether it is gaining Pixies/Wisps, Horses, or maxing out Stonemason/Butterfly Way. Heck I have even bought 4 Ruins to trash out with Chapel  just to enable a megaturn.

Academy is one of those things that combos with most anything so it combos with nothing. Oddly enough, plentiful village gains and other cheap +action (e.g. Kc, Champion) are one of the few compelling reasons to skip Academy. Otherwise, Academy seems to make just about all other action cards to undergo a fairly dramatic power boost.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 20, 2021, 01:12:19 am »

Game with Goat, Market Square, Peddler, and Pixie, and Tower.  Once you buy a bunch of Market Squares, it becomes really easy to pile out Peddler.  Plus, Goat + Market Square makes it easy to get Golds.  My opponent completely overlooked that, and I was able to win the game 24-9, with all of my points coming from Tower - 9 Peddlers, 10 Market Squares, and 5 Pixies, having made a 3-pile ending by buying up the last Market Squares and Pixies.  My opponent, on the other hand, had just one Province, 1 Peddler, and 2 Pixies.  Treasure Map was also in the kingdom, and they went for that instead.  They did manage to activate the Treasure Map, but it didn't do them much good.
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1599 on: July 20, 2021, 02:21:52 am »
+2

Game with Goat, Market Square, Peddler, and Pixie, and Tower.  Once you buy a bunch of Market Squares, it becomes really easy to pile out Peddler.  Plus, Goat + Market Square makes it easy to get Golds.  My opponent completely overlooked that, and I was able to win the game 24-9, with all of my points coming from Tower - 9 Peddlers, 10 Market Squares, and 5 Pixies, having made a 3-pile ending by buying up the last Market Squares and Pixies.  My opponent, on the other hand, had just one Province, 1 Peddler, and 2 Pixies.  Treasure Map was also in the kingdom, and they went for that instead.  They did manage to activate the Treasure Map, but it didn't do them much good.

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep this in mind the next time I roll a kingdom with Market Square, Peddler, Pixie, and Tower.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.