Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504394 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1550 on: October 08, 2020, 09:45:34 pm »
+2

probably known but rats / way of the horse is pretty fun

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 09, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »
+2

probably known but rats / way of the horse is pretty fun

I prefer it with Magpie. In a no treasure deck, it makes every Magpie into +1.5 cards for the rest of the game.

For Rats I think the bigger combo is with Butterfly. You likely are not going to keep mass gaining/returning Rats, but being able to turn a copper into a $5 once a shuffle is pretty huge.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 12, 2020, 04:35:23 am »
+3

Urchin with Way Of The Mouse and a cheap attack is an instant Mercenary swap.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 13, 2020, 02:25:02 pm »
+3

Fisherman/Topdecking

When you buy a Fisherman with the reduced cost you can rarely buy another one, because it ends up in your discard pile. If you topdeck it with Royal Seal or Watchtower, or especially Travelling Fair its cost stays at $2. One buy and $6 and an empty discard pile can set you up with two Fishermen next turn!

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: October 17, 2020, 11:31:47 am »

Just had a fun set with Shelters where Acting Troupe was the Way of the Mouse. Unlimited Villagers for all!

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: October 17, 2020, 01:24:00 pm »
+1

Never have I wanted more to be the player who gets the Diadem!

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 19, 2020, 04:35:32 am »
+1

Leprechaun/Toil
Leprechaun looks at all cards, not just action cards, in play. Especially early in the game it is remarkably easy to make him grant a Wish if you can play any number treasures in addition to actions. Especially since, unlike Magic Lamp, he doesn't care about duplicates.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 21, 2020, 10:49:39 pm »
+2

Playing goatherd after your opponent buys a mint = big draw.  Just had a game where my opponent bought a mint with five coppers in play.  That made my goatherd a non-terminal +5 cards!
They/them

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: October 23, 2020, 09:16:11 am »
+2

Not sure if this has been posted before, but Alchemist + Star Chart means that with a thin enough deck you can basically always find your potion.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: October 24, 2020, 04:57:47 pm »

Leprechaun/Toil
Leprechaun looks at all cards, not just action cards, in play. Especially early in the game it is remarkably easy to make him grant a Wish if you can play any number treasures in addition to actions. Especially since, unlike Magic Lamp, he doesn't care about duplicates.

that's pretty sweet
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: October 24, 2020, 05:03:19 pm »

Not sure if it's been said before but Hermit and Innovation is bonkers.  Play hermit, gain a hermit play that hermit again, gain another hermit for later.  Trash 2 estates and curses and now you get 2 madmen with only giving up buying power for one turn, while actually getting a hermit out if it to rinse and repeat later if the cards fall that way.  Even better if events/projects available. Just had a game where i got all provies in 2 turns way early, though Governor helped a lot too by pulling in 3, 6 or 9 cards before I played the madman card.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:04:39 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: October 28, 2020, 12:23:14 am »
+4

Just had a game with both Mint and Way of the Butterfly.  I had a 5/2 opening, so on my $5 turn, I bought Mint, trashing my 5 Coppers.  On turn 3, I had Mint in hand, I played it as Way of the Butterfly, and gained a Gold.  So, in effect, I turned 5 Coppers into 1 Gold
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 30, 2020, 01:37:17 am »

Temple + Innovation is a weird interaction.  If you choose to Innovate first, then you gain the 1 VP from playing Temple and put 1 VP on the pile, then gain the VP tokens on the Temple pile - thus 2 VP plus whatever was on the pile before you bought the Temple
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: November 01, 2020, 12:30:35 am »

I just had a game with Lost Arts, Seaway, Quarry, and Embassy.  I put the +action token on Embassy with Lost Arts, and using Quarry, I was able to use Seaway to put the +buy token on Embassy.  That made Embassy absurdly powerful
They/them

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: November 06, 2020, 06:14:52 am »
+2

BOUNTY HUNTER / CASTLES

With Bounty Hunter you can start greening early by buying Castles, exile the Castles and gain for each exiled Castle, as each one has a different name.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 03:46:06 pm by Carline »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: November 06, 2020, 08:46:19 am »
+2

Had a similar match yesterday with Displace instead of Bounty Hunter. Works quite well, though you lose the momentum of Opulent Castle.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: November 09, 2020, 05:55:13 am »
+2

There are 220 matches for the word "count" in this thread, but not a single Count interaction. Time to change that!

Count/Crossroads or Count/Shepherd

Count is amazing for those strategies where you build your drawing engine from green cards:
- efficiently trash away your starting Coppers
- gain Duchies to fuel your engine and maintain a lead
- kickstart your next turn by putting a Crossroads/Shepherd on top of your deck!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 13, 2020, 09:04:43 pm »

There are 220 matches for the word "count" in this thread, but not a single Count interaction. Time to change that!

Count/Crossroads or Count/Shepherd

Count is amazing for those strategies where you build your drawing engine from green cards:
- efficiently trash away your starting Coppers
- gain Duchies to fuel your engine and maintain a lead
- kickstart your next turn by putting a Crossroads/Shepherd on top of your deck!

Count is actually not that great at trashing away your starting coppers. An average hand is CCEXCount where X is one of your openers or your other T3/4 buy. Assuming you want to keep both E and X that means that Count kills 2 coppers per play as a terminal. Which is on par with all the other 2 copper trashers ... but is a terminal $5. Worse, you will quickly have fewer turns where you can safely trash 2 coppers and eventually you will have several coppers that Count simply cannot eliminate. When you have other copper trashing you normally want it for a Green/Count engine.

Don't get me wrong, Count is a trasher of coppers, but when you actively want the estates his trashing is even slower than normal. It is something like four shuffles to get down to 2 coppers which is about what you can manage with Moneylender.

That being said, even inefficiently trashing coppers is enough to enable things like Shepherd or Xroads, particularly as Count can smooth out early cash flow, top deck whiffs, and then gain duchies.

For Count combos I have always loved Tomb. Pretty much any engine setup can turn Count into an unbounded golden engine with Tomb. Count/Beggar/Village/Tomb? Well that's 12 VP/turn. Lost arts/Count/Silk Merchant? Not too hard to hit 7 VP/turn. Even something simple like Tr/Count can churn 3VP/turn or more and still let you buy cards.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 15, 2020, 10:29:13 am »
+1

Really nice interaction between peasant/page lines and way of the Mouse when the Moused card is a cantrip (in my game it was scheme). Buy as many pages or peasants as you want.  You will never have a problem say getting stuck with 3 silver hunters/warriors/soldiers in same hand.  Play the page/peasant as mouse and your still get to swap the card at the end of the turn.  So you get like twice as fast deck cycling to get to the champion/Teacher etc.  It was pretty fun with scheme top decking 4 warriors and repeatedly tossing my opponents cards so that he had to wait another shuffle to even have a shot of keeping em.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: November 15, 2020, 12:28:52 pm »
+1

Really nice interaction between peasant/page lines and way of the Mouse when the Moused card is a cantrip (in my game it was scheme). Buy as many pages or peasants as you want.  You will never have a problem say getting stuck with 3 silver hunters/warriors/soldiers in same hand.  Play the page/peasant as mouse and your still get to swap the card at the end of the turn.  So you get like twice as fast deck cycling to get to the champion/Teacher etc.  It was pretty fun with scheme top decking 4 warriors and repeatedly tossing my opponents cards so that he had to wait another shuffle to even have a shot of keeping em.

Note this also works with Way of the Pig
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: November 15, 2020, 01:23:23 pm »

Note this also works with Way of the Pig

Ox and Mule also help, though not as much since they don't have draw.  But they do at least give you a way to make your Travellers non-terminal
They/them

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: November 16, 2020, 06:17:38 am »
+2

Mule is a poor man's Vault for action cards, brilliant with cards that care about your hand (Menagerie, Diplomat, Shanty Town) or are draw-to-x.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 18, 2020, 01:19:55 am »

Just played a game with Sheepdog and way of the seal.  If u had a sheepdog in your hand you could buy anything, react with sheepdog/seal and then top deck whatever it was that you bought, plus u get one coin more buying power and top-decking for anything else bought. Here it was nice to top-deck covens to aid in the curse slam. A bit of an edge case but I there are a few other cards that activate too like falconer. Falconer worked in an interesting way, since if you are playing a falconer from your own buy usually it only gives effect by adding to your deck (absent villa/cavalry edge cases) but here u get the option of a 4 cost or less card in future, or top-deck whatever it is you bought to engage falconer. Not exactly sure why but I tried this with trader and market square but in those cases you can't play the way of the seal, only get the silver or gold etc, and it doesn't top-deck.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:23:59 am by Honkeyfresh »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #1573 on: November 18, 2020, 07:19:24 am »

Just played a game with Sheepdog and way of the seal.  If u had a sheepdog in your hand you could buy anything, react with sheepdog/seal and then top deck whatever it was that you bought, plus u get one coin more buying power and top-decking for anything else bought. Here it was nice to top-deck covens to aid in the curse slam. A bit of an edge case but I there are a few other cards that activate too like falconer. Falconer worked in an interesting way, since if you are playing a falconer from your own buy usually it only gives effect by adding to your deck (absent villa/cavalry edge cases) but here u get the option of a 4 cost or less card in future, or top-deck whatever it is you bought to engage falconer. Not exactly sure why but I tried this with trader and market square but in those cases you can't play the way of the seal, only get the silver or gold etc, and it doesn't top-deck.
trader changed over to "exchange" rather than "trash and gain" so keyword wise, you're exchanging the card you're reacting to, via trader, for a silver.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 03:15:50 pm by spineflu »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 18, 2020, 01:52:30 pm »
+1

trader changed over to "exchange" rather than "trash and gain" so keyword wise, you're exchanging the card you're reacting to with trader for a silver.

Yeah but every reaction has some words on the card.  Why when u play some of them do you get to play a way instead and some not?  Isn't the point of using the way that it largely ignores the words on the card?

ETA I think I figured it out. Some of the cards get "played" from your hand (sheepdog, falconer) and some of them market square/trader are just saying "reveal this from your hand to produce X result" so since it can't be "played", you can't play it as a way. My guess is you could play it this way too on a black cat if an opponent gains a Victory card on your turn since it says you can then play it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:57:24 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.