Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 249580 times)

mxdata

• Tactician
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1525 on: June 06, 2020, 02:51:16 am »
+5

I just had a game tonight where I had two Market Squares and a Watchtower in hand when my opponent played Marauder.  I used Watchtower to trash the Ruins, then reacted with the Market Squares to gain 2 Golds, and then revealed the same Watchtower to topdeck the Golds!  Then on my turn, I played Watchtower to draw those Golds
They/them

Vengil

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 06, 2020, 06:38:29 am »
+2

Research / Fortress

Of course Fortress is good with any TFB, but this interaction makes Research shines.

I played a game where I bought 3 Researches and 3 Fortress and I was starting every turn with 9 or 13 cards in hand. This made me win against a player so much better than me.

This week I played 3 "Research" + a lot of "Rats".
It was very strong.

mxdata

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 07, 2020, 06:45:20 pm »
+1

Innovation + Way of the Worm lets you Exile an Estate from the Supply every time you buy an Action card
They/them

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +728
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 23, 2020, 03:31:47 pm »
+7

The Bank Gamble

Draw your deck. Have 9 treasures in play, $9 to spend, and as many +buys as you can manage. Buy a Bank. Gamble. Play the Bank. It generates $10 and Gamble gives a buy. Repeat until the stack is gone.

Starting with a full Bank pile this will generate $55 and leave you with $64 which is enough to pile out the provinces if you can generate enough +buys. Even if not, you can crush a pile for no cash cost or just quickly and dramatically increase you cash generating potential or get high value feedstock for scaling TfB.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:09:45 pm by jomini »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +3953
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 25, 2020, 03:27:14 am »
+6

Guardian is surprisingly not good against Coven.

I just lost a game where I won the curse split 8–1. I was protecting myself from my opponent's Covens with Guardians, while she was basically unprotected and just taking the curses. But because of my Guardians, the Curse pile depleted really slowly, so my opponent's curses never actually made it into her deck at all. So the upshot was, she lost some points but not in a way that impacted her deck efficiency, while I had a bunch of duration-coppers slowing my deck down, and I lost the Provinces 2–6.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: July 27, 2020, 03:05:42 pm »
+3

Guardian is surprisingly not good against Coven.

I just lost a game where I won the curse split 8–1. I was protecting myself from my opponent's Covens with Guardians, while she was basically unprotected and just taking the curses. But because of my Guardians, the Curse pile depleted really slowly, so my opponent's curses never actually made it into her deck at all. So the upshot was, she lost some points but not in a way that impacted her deck efficiency, while I had a bunch of duration-coppers slowing my deck down, and I lost the Provinces 2–6.

Your experience is not about Guardian being weak, it actually is quite strong, you are more describing the weakness of Coven, and particularly with how I presume you played it.

For the price of $4, a single draw slot, and two gains you can protect your deck the entire game. Guardian is even better because you can wait through a few curses before buying them or have a few curses slip through before you trash down (e.g. using Spice merchant) without bloating your deck. You need never worry about drawing them dead (like Lighthouse) nor having them out of hand (like Moat). With very few exceptions (e.g. a Lib deck), you just plan on dumping two Guardians into your deck and maybe picking up a third or fourth late game to prevent ten bloat cards from being dumped into the deck.

The problem is Coven. Losing 10 curses means you just need to win the Prov split 5:3, which should not be hard to do when your opponent has kindly bought a couple of $5 silvers. Absent trashing and buying two Covens on T3&4 you are looking at something like T 14-T15 to get the curses shuffled into the deck. Absent something else, you have lost the provinces badly before then.

Where Coven works is where you can play two per turn or more (making it around T10 - 12 to shuffle in the curses) per turn. Coven also works well when the game will last longer (e.g. Colonies, other attacks, alt-VP). As is, slowing down the cursing game just a tiny bit (e.g. in this case you could not draw deck with the Guardians), normally lets you coast to an easy victory. In many ways it is like Mountain Pass, losing a couple turns to paying down debt or to playing $5 silvers is just not worth it for <12 VP.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +3953
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 27, 2020, 08:07:23 pm »

Meaning I should have bought Guardians, but not Covens, but rather stronger $5s? That's plausible—but I think there's no way I would have been able to get enough Guardians to protect myself "for the price of $4, a single draw slot, and two gains"—I don't remember what the kingdom was like in this game, but there was definitely not enough +card available for two Guardians to provide any reliable protection.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 27, 2020, 09:23:45 pm »

You typically would not need full protection then. How many Covens was your opponent averaging per turn? 1? 1.5? Blocking say every third or fourth turn will stretch out how long it takes for you to get all 10 in your draw deck.

Obviously, there are some boards where it is hard to get enough VP before your deck chokes on 10 curses and that can mean playing Coven is the best option. But in general, relatively few Dominion games take longer than 15 turns. And it is a pretty rare board that lets you play more than one Coven per turn on average but not also block them all with just two or three Guardians.

I have certainly won any number of games by getting a victory condition (empty provinces, 3-piles, >1/2 of VP) before the shuffle after the 11th play of Coven. Which I suppose is another thing to consider, if your deck is getting kinda sloggy (e.g lots of treasure), after the 11th play you may well have 4 or 5 more turns before your expected cash tanks.

A non-mirror Coven bout turns the game into a race. But that is often a winnable race, and very much so with something like Guardian where you can buy whole shuffles off a single well-timed buy (e.g. they have no draw deck and 2 Covens in hand, you buy a $6 Guardian, and they need a full extra shuffle for just that block).

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 30, 2020, 04:03:50 pm »

Maybe everyone knows this already but I just got wrecked by IGG/Guildhall. In a normal IGG rush you drain IGG, Curse and usually Duchy. Pretty rare that it's the best strategy these days. With Guildhall those Duchies are Provinces instead, and it's, uh, quite good I think.

4est

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 30, 2020, 08:03:05 pm »
+1

Sheepdog + Treasure Trove

If you draw your deck and have a Sheepdog still in hand, you can use it to immediately draw and play the Copper and Gold gains from Treasure Trove. Nothing special but it sure is cute.

mxdata

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 04, 2020, 02:10:40 am »
+3

Just had a game with Innovation, Rogue, and Pillage.  So, after a Pillage had been trashed, then Rogue would gain it from the trash, Innovation would allow it to be played immediately for the gain of two spoils and the targeted discard, then it would return immediately to the trash, so that, in effect, Rogue could be played like a Pillage minus the self-trashing, plus an extra $2.  That was a lot of fun
They/them

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 04, 2020, 10:55:00 am »
+4

Sceptor - Way of the Turtle

Replay any action in play at beginning of next turn.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.