Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504355 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1450 on: December 31, 2019, 08:01:12 pm »

Festival, Donate, Tomb. Buy and trash the entire coppers pile, have a deck with no green, and still win on vp tokens.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 01, 2020, 01:08:44 pm »
+1

Festival, Donate, Tomb. Buy and trash the entire coppers pile, have a deck with no green, and still win on vp tokens.

Why Festival? Surely Market or Squire would be better.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 01, 2020, 01:30:36 pm »
+3

Market or Squire
Misread that at first.

Now I want there to a card called Market Squire. And one called Square.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #1453 on: January 01, 2020, 04:09:21 pm »
+1

Why Festival? Surely Market or Squire would be better.
oh sure; those just weren't in the game I did this in, festival was.
although squire, drawing a handful of those you end up with the one more buy but fewer money than festival.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 04:11:17 pm by spineflu »

MeNowDealWithIt

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: MeNowDealWithIt
  • Why does it say "Pearl Diver"
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 07, 2020, 08:14:49 pm »
+1

This strat also works with Goons and a Village, rather than a +buy card and Tomb.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: January 10, 2020, 03:16:03 pm »

Mountain Village + Training is an interesting combo, if you have enough Mountain Villages.  You can easily play multiple Mountain Villages that way for +$1 each
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 12, 2020, 09:54:29 pm »
+6

Magpie + Watchtower let me gain the rest of the magpie pile.   I happened to have two magpies and a Watchtower in hand. Played a magpie, drew a copper and revealed an Estate.  Gained a magpie, used Watchtower to topdeck it.  Played the second magpie, drew the magpie I'd just gained and, of course, revealed the same Estate as before.  Gained another magpie, topdecked it, repeated, until I'd emptied the pile
They/them

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:19 am »
+1

Stockpile is a good Minion starter. Makes Minion affordable early and then gets itself out of the way.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: March 27, 2020, 10:42:11 am »
+3

Sanctuary is great on a Fountain board: exiling Copper gets it out of your deck without losing Fountain points, and it provides +Buy to pick up the extra Copper you need.

villafan001

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: March 30, 2020, 11:49:56 am »
+2

I just had a game where the Kingdom included Upgrade, Fortress and Royal Carriage.

To make matters even more amusing, Donate was available - so having bought a Silver, 2 Golds, Fortress and two Upgrades I could Donate - trash everything else (yes, I suppose I could have trashed the $ too, an error on my part!) and used the Double Upgrade-Fortress combo to pile the Upgrades and then pick up as many Royal Carriages as my opponent didn’t buy, queuing them all on the Tavern mat as they came up. The following turn, I had enough plays of Upgrade on Fortress to pile the Duchies, buy a Province for good measure and win 30-0 in 12 turns. Completely mad - I suspect the other player didn’t see what was going to happen until the turn when the piles started to empty.

Upgrade + Fortress: one worth knowing about!

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: March 31, 2020, 08:31:09 pm »
+3

Scepter + Cavalry is an interesting way of getting +actions when there are no villages. Play scepters on your nonterminals to get extra actions, and then buy cavalry so that you can actually use them.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 01, 2020, 11:47:04 pm »
+5

A couple more I came across today:

rats + way of the horse: replace all your junk with horses
sculptor + feodum: Turns out feodum likes nonterminal silver gaining to hand; this one turned out to be a bit stronger than I would have guessed.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 02, 2020, 12:45:55 am »
+3

village green makes rabble a lot worse than smithy

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 02, 2020, 08:05:00 am »
+1

Treasure Trove and Commerce deliver three Gold in one turn and should permit a BM strategy. Bonus if you have Forager/Spice Merchant/Hideout to deal with the pesky Coppers.

On a similar note, the purchase of Destriers could be prepared by a Stampede, if possible.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 02, 2020, 08:16:52 am »
+3

Hunting Party/Village Green can be an easy way to draw a lot of cards at once
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 02, 2020, 02:07:15 pm »
+7

A really strong combination that I've seen work twice recently is Sentry and Fortune. First, you need to use your fortune to have 5/2. Then you use your fortune to draw Sentry on turn 3. Then you use it again to draw the same sentry on turns 4 and 5. At that point, you've almost certainly won the game.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 02, 2020, 02:10:35 pm »

A really strong combination that I've seen work twice recently is Sentry and Fortune. First, you need to use your fortune to have 5/2. Then you use your fortune to draw Sentry on turn 3. Then you use it again to draw the same sentry on turns 4 and 5. At that point, you've almost certainly won the game.

Fortune? isn't that not available until after the gladiators are gone?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 02, 2020, 03:51:01 pm »
+4

Fortune isn't available until the Gladiators are gone, but fortune is available at any point in any game. Fortune only gives coins and a buy, but fortune can make a winner. Sometimes you even need fortune to get Fortune.

Edit: Fortune no longer sounds like a word.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:53:52 pm by hhelibebcnofnena »
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 02, 2020, 03:58:44 pm »

Fortune isn't available until the Gladiators are gone, but fortune is available at any point in any game. Fortune only gives coins and a buy, but fortune can make a winner. Sometimes you even need fortune to get Fortune.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 03, 2020, 11:42:02 pm »
+3

Wayfarer + Replace interaction is neat. Replace a Wayfarer into a province, and then the curse your opponent gets makes Wayfarer cost 0, so it should be easy to replace it buy another one.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: April 03, 2020, 11:58:36 pm »

:golfclap:

how does this only have 2 upvotes.   8)
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

bitwise

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 04, 2020, 12:23:29 am »
+4

Fisherman normally can only be bought once per turn for its low cost, but if you have topdecking effects (Tracker, Travelling Fair, Watchtower, Royal Seal), then each one can have the cheap price. I was in a game with Quarry, Travelling Fair, and Fisherman where I was fortunate enough to hit Quarry + 3 Coppers on T3, topdecking 3 Fisherman for T4.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1472 on: April 04, 2020, 01:12:13 am »

Because that was silverspawn's joke to begin with.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 04, 2020, 02:22:47 am »
+3

Because that was silverspawn's joke to begin with.

But explaining the joke makes it funnier.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 08, 2020, 07:03:02 pm »
+2

Groom + Highway has a couple things going for it beyond just cost reduction + extra gains. The horses really help you move through the deck to find more highways and grooms, and then the cantrip effect makes it a lot easier to find/play all your grooms when you go for the megaturn. It's interesting to compare groom to cantrip +buy (e.g. market, seaway) in the context of highway. Groom is worse in that it's a terminal stop card when not greening (though the horse sort of offsets the lack of +card), but better in that you only need 4 of the highways to get provinces.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.