Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504235 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1150 on: December 13, 2017, 10:50:14 am »
+15

Shepherd/Summon is just stupidly good on a 5/2 opening.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 13, 2017, 03:52:53 pm »

Shepherd/Summon is just stupidly good on a 5/2 opening.

Seems like this will get you a hand of anywhere from $5 to $7 depending on luck of the draw and if the Heirloom is in the 2 hand or not. Quite nice!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 13, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »
+1

To carry on with the Shepherd theme:

Shepherd + Apothecary

Apothecary struggles with green cards and Shepherd struggles with Coppers, quite a nice skeleton for an engine. Apothecary can even set up your next turn with a Shepherd and some greens, retaining value even if you trash your Coppers.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 13, 2017, 11:08:20 pm »
+8

Dismantle / Ferry / a useful or Action

On 3/4 you can open Ferry/Dismantle, putting your cost reduction token on the other Action pile to take it down to or , so that you can then Dismantle your Estates for Gold and the Action. I suspect Pawn and Native Village are both good options, but there would be a lot of possibilities depending on what else is on the board.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 14, 2017, 01:45:27 pm »
+9

Skulk + Encampment: Skulk gives you +buy to pick up Encampments quickly, and gives you a gold to reveal to Encampments.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: December 14, 2017, 03:30:40 pm »
+11

Quest - Tunnel

You don't actually need to have 6 cards in hand to pick that option with Quest and discard all your Tunnels.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 15, 2017, 04:34:02 am »

Plan + Market Square

On weak BM boards this can be a strategy in and of itself. Just open Plan / MS and trash Estates and Coppers, gaining roughly one Gold at a time this way. Sometimes you'll get two! You should then be ready to green. Obviously this isn't that strong but it can work out OK if you're otherwise bored.

That puts the "potentially" into "potentially useful" for sure.

Secret Passage + Herald/Wishing Well/Mystic/Vassal/Masquerade/Patrol/Scrying Pool

Put a Copper in your next hand for Mask protection, or an Action card for Herald/Vassal/Wishing Well/Mystic. Tuck away a Curse/Victory for Patrol pick up on dispatch.

Harbinger + Prizes/Fortune

Never stop playing Steed, Followers or Princess. Or maybe a Fortune instead.

Secret Passage also works with Vagrant, Cartographer, Sentry, Lookout, Doctor...

May I add Chariot Race to the mix. The procedure (sneak in the winner through a sectret passage) reminds me a lot of the way the hedgehog outdid the hare in a running contest (http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm187.html). I rigged a lot of races in a game yesterday.

EDIT: I just saw it covered in the Secret Passage article (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17617.0).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:43:08 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 19, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »
+8

Rats has a ton of great interactions with Nocturne.

Rats/Exorcist - Exorcist is terrible at trashing Copper and Curses, but trashing Rats gives you Imps
Rats/Necromancer - Zombie Apprentice gives you +4 Cards and an Action, Zombie Mason +1 Card, Gain a card costing up to $5
Rats/Changeling Trash a card, gain a Changeling

Rats also protects you against some of the nastiest hexes. War just draws you an extra card, and Locusts draws you a card and gains you an Action costing $2 or $3.

Then there's just a bunch of trashing options to help keep them from getting out of control: Bats and the Flame's Gift are great, and worst case scenario your Goat can eat Rats and hopefully draw you an extra treasure or Night card.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 22, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »

I just flooded my deck with cellars and tunnels and it worked.

Also, highway + university.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 23, 2017, 12:12:29 am »

highway + university.
did you mean bridge + university?
I'm confused as to why you are specifically calling out the highway.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 23, 2017, 01:23:06 am »
+1

highway + university.
did you mean bridge + university?
I'm confused as to why you are specifically calling out the highway.

Bridge is terminal, while Highway isn't. Highway then Uni is easier to get than Bridge then Uni.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 23, 2017, 12:22:06 pm »
+2

Leprechaun/Storyteller has a great thematic interaction. Leprechauns are so much nicer in stories! Nothing but good luck, gold, and wishes come true.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 23, 2017, 12:26:53 pm »
+3

Actually, I would go as far as to say Highway + University is NOT a helpful combination.

University is expensive and difficult to buy because of the potion cost. It ALREADY gains $5-cost cards, so the cost reduction given to you by Highway doesn't help you gain more Highways, so you're very likely going to be over-investing to get them, and neither card gives you the + buy so desperately needed when there's a cost-reducer in the kingdom. And University only gains actions, so you can't even use it to gain Provinces after playing three Highways!! (Could get a cheap Prince or Artisan or something, though.)

Highway/University is definitely not a thing. In a full-blown engine, with trashing, a good draw card, and a source of +buy, there is some possibility that you might play one or maybe two Universities in a megaturn engine featuring Highway, but the two cards don't interact in any meaningful way. If anything, they almost belong in the "annoying and potentially harmful" thread.

As a general rule, though, just make a mental note of [any cost reducer + any gainer] is usually a good thing. Not really an interesting card interaction; just how the game works.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 23, 2017, 01:32:09 pm »

Actually, I would go as far as to say Highway + University is NOT a helpful combination.

University is expensive and difficult to buy because of the potion cost. It ALREADY gains $5-cost cards, so the cost reduction given to you by Highway doesn't help you gain more Highways, so you're very likely going to be over-investing to get them, and neither card gives you the + buy so desperately needed when there's a cost-reducer in the kingdom. And University only gains actions, so you can't even use it to gain Provinces after playing three Highways!! (Could get a cheap Prince or Artisan or something, though.)

Highway/University is definitely not a thing. In a full-blown engine, with trashing, a good draw card, and a source of +buy, there is some possibility that you might play one or maybe two Universities in a megaturn engine featuring Highway, but the two cards don't interact in any meaningful way. If anything, they almost belong in the "annoying and potentially harmful" thread.

As a general rule, though, just make a mental note of [any cost reducer + any gainer] is usually a good thing. Not really an interesting card interaction; just how the game works.

University is nice with any spammable (usually cantrip) $5's Highway certainly fits the bill there. Whether the cost reduction helps Uni is board dependant but I think you're overthinking this a bit. Obviously Uni+Highway isn't very good on it's own but saying they don't interact in a meaningful way is a bit silly.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 23, 2017, 01:45:56 pm »
+1

Highway / Thing That Can Gain Highway is a useful interaction; it doesn’t only become useful if you need highway in play for the gainer to work? It’s not particularly, uh, out of the ordinary but it is Something

bug me on discord

they/them

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 23, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »
+2

I mean, sure, but like, University combos with Highway no better than it does with, say, Treasury.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 23, 2017, 04:01:59 pm »

I mean, sure, but like, University combos with Highway no better than it does with, say, Treasury.

Sometimes there are actions that cost $6+ on the board so that isn't always true. More importantly though Treasury is a really nice card with University and Highway is no worse. I don't think University/Highway is an amazing combo or anything (unless Kings Court or something is on the board). I was mainly disagreeing with JThorne saying that they almost belong in the "annoying and potentially harmful" thread, which obviously isn't true.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 24, 2017, 06:03:08 am »

Sometimes there are actions that cost $6+ on the board so that isn't always true. More importantly though Treasury is a really nice card with University and Highway is no worse. I don't think University/Highway is an amazing combo or anything (unless Kings Court or something is on the board). I was mainly disagreeing with JThorne saying that they almost belong in the "annoying and potentially harmful" thread, which obviously isn't true.

Right, I am an idiot. University specifies 'action'. I was looking for a non-terminal anything gainer to combo with Highway for gaining several Provinces each turn. Artificer requires either a lot of Highways or a lot of discards, Vampire works, but Bat doesn't gain, Devil's Workshop only lets you do it once each turn, Cobbler is played at start-of-turn, Wish is hard to get.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 24, 2017, 11:26:18 am »
+2

"village + storeroom + village + library" just got simplified to Cursed Village + Storeroom

Have you ever thought: "you know what would make dominion better?  shuffling 3-4 times per turn."?
Apparently the storerooms in cursed villages have something different in them every you enter them, so you want to do it all the time.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:30:00 am by weesh »

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 24, 2017, 11:51:49 am »
+2

"village + storeroom + village + library" just got simplified to Cursed Village + Storeroom

Have you ever thought: "you know what would make dominion better?  shuffling 3-4 times per turn."?
Apparently the storerooms in cursed villages have something different in them every you enter them, so you want to do it all the time.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17953.0

bug me on discord

they/them

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: December 25, 2017, 06:32:33 am »

The local Wolf Den won't annoy you as much when you go for a monolithic Werewolf strategy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1171 on: December 25, 2017, 08:46:23 am »

Highway / Thing That Can Gain Highway is a useful interaction; it doesn’t only become useful if you need highway in play for the gainer to work? It’s not particularly, uh, out of the ordinary but it is Something

That's true, but also obvious that gainers that can gain the card whose split you need to win are good with those cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: December 27, 2017, 10:55:40 am »
+3

I was mainly disagreeing with JThorne saying that they almost belong in the "annoying and potentially harmful" thread, which obviously isn't true.

I'm not so sure. Here's the big question: If the kingdom has a good source of +buy, isn't is possible that Silver/Highway/+buy would get more Highways faster than investing in the potion and the University? There's a good chance that the early hands where you draw potion can't afford a Highway, and the early hands where you draw University will gain a Highway, but not buy one. If going the University route causes you to lose the Highway split, then it's definitely harmful.

But in any case, University + any spammable $5 cost, while sometimes useful, isn't exactly a "neat" interaction. It would be like posting Tunnel + Warehouse in this thread. That's not interesting, it's just what Tunnel does. Most of the stuff here is interactions that don't appear in the wiki and are usually one specific card with another specific card doing something interesting together that most players don't see on first glance.

I'm not trying to be a pain; I thought I knew how to play this game before I came to this forum, and the more I read, the more I re-think many of my initial assumptions, and the more I learn strategies, principles, interactions and techniques. Even the arguments are interesting.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 27, 2017, 11:44:20 am »

I was mainly disagreeing with JThorne saying that they almost belong in the "annoying and potentially harmful" thread, which obviously isn't true.

I'm not so sure. Here's the big question: If the kingdom has a good source of +buy, isn't is possible that Silver/Highway/+buy would get more Highways faster than investing in the potion and the University? There's a good chance that the early hands where you draw potion can't afford a Highway, and the early hands where you draw University will gain a Highway, but not buy one. If going the University route causes you to lose the Highway split, then it's definitely harmful.

But in any case, University + any spammable $5 cost, while sometimes useful, isn't exactly a "neat" interaction. It would be like posting Tunnel + Warehouse in this thread. That's not interesting, it's just what Tunnel does. Most of the stuff here is interactions that don't appear in the wiki and are usually one specific card with another specific card doing something interesting together that most players don't see on first glance.

I'm not trying to be a pain; I thought I knew how to play this game before I came to this forum, and the more I read, the more I re-think many of my initial assumptions, and the more I learn strategies, principles, interactions and techniques. Even the arguments are interesting.

This is how you should always be thinking about University though, it isn't something unique to Highway that would warrant the "potentially harmful" badge. Everything in dominion is potentially harmful if you use that logic because nothing is good 100% of the time. Sometimes Uni is good, sometimes it isn't. I'd say that the presence of Highway will more often be a point towards going for Uni than against it as it's a nice thing to pick up once you've gotten all the terminals you need and occasionally the cost reduction will matter.

I agree with you about this not being a particularly "neat" interaction.

Don't worry, you aren't being a pain! This is exactly what the forum is for!

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: December 27, 2017, 03:13:50 pm »
+5

Last night I learned Idol is a double-edged sword against Possession. You want to possess my deck? I have 4 Idols, so a Province comes with 2 Curses.

Unfortunately Sun's Gift and Moon's Gift can absolutely wreck my next turn :-\
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.