Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504435 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1000 on: February 15, 2017, 07:18:39 pm »
+5

Treasure Map, Lurker, Watchtower
For this one it's easier to keep one map in the trash (from lurker maybe), then when the time is right, fish it out and topeck it! What's even better is, when you collide the maps, you can use watchtower to topdeck the golds.

Even better than that, use Watchtower to trash the Golds.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 15, 2017, 08:06:09 pm »
+6

when you collide the maps, you can use watchtower to topdeck the golds.

Not sure if trolling...

Or just gain Silvers instead with Trader. Combo Treasure Map/Trader.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 15, 2017, 08:07:11 pm »
+8

Storyteller, Diadem, Storeroom, Travelling Fair
Turn coin into draw, or draw into coin, then actions into coin, or actions into coin while you turn coin into draw turning actions into even more draw, then in the end turn all the draw back into coin? Or turn the draw into coin first then back into draw, effectively cellaring TWICE? (cwazy!) Then, in the end, turn all that coin into buy, letting you buy all the copper (which, if you look carefully, is just another way of turning draw into coin, but nonterminally - wow!) you want!

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 16, 2017, 08:49:17 am »
+4

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, and has come up a few times recently in League games and game reports:

Develop + Fortress

It turns out that gaining and topdecking a $5 card and a $3 card is often really strong - even by Fortress trash-for-benefit standards.  And because Fortress is in the kingdom, you will be able to play multiple Develops per turn.  This interaction often dominates games it appears in, so don't ignore it!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 16, 2017, 09:48:55 am »
+1

Storyteller, Diadem, Storeroom, Travelling Fair
Turn coin into draw, or draw into coin, then actions into coin, or actions into coin while you turn coin into draw turning actions into even more draw, then in the end turn all the draw back into coin? Or turn the draw into coin first then back into draw, effectively cellaring TWICE? (cwazy!) Then, in the end, turn all that coin into buy, letting you buy all the copper (which, if you look carefully, is just another way of turning draw into coin, but nonterminally - wow!) you want!

A parody is only as good as it is accurate, you know. I fail to see what or whom you'r making fun of here.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: February 16, 2017, 12:26:44 pm »
+8

A parody is only as good as it is accurate, you know. I fail to see what or whom you'r making fun of here.
There coulndn't be any making fun. The license for making fun had expired

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1006 on: February 22, 2017, 01:46:24 am »
+3

Fool's Gold + Travelling Fair is pretty neat and useful. Once you manage to hit $6, you can all but guarantee that you can buy and topdeck two FGs every turn until you draw a hand with 3 FGs, after which you can actually guarantee triple FG turns until the FGs run out (although it's pretty likely that your opponent will be contesting FGs and that the pile is emptied before you get to the point of getting constant triple FG turns). Travelling Fair is also a convenient way to utilize FG's high economy boost if you still want to continue building the deck afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:49:28 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 22, 2017, 07:55:42 pm »

Keep and ...
Masterpiece with some drawers
Trader trashing a Province
Treasure Hunter, while your right player building an engine
Raid with some drawers (with +Buy is best)
Feodum with some trashers

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 24, 2017, 11:45:20 am »

Keep and ...

I don't know...most of those sound like nombos. Keep is only worth 5 points per pile, so winning big on the Silvers, for example, can give you some bonus points, but the person that ignores the Silver points will just win with extra Provinces and a couple of Golds.

The combos that I really like with Keep are any time there's only one copy (or really limited numbers) of a treasure. Black Market being the big example. "Sure I'll buy a Venture that's also worth 5 points!"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 24, 2017, 12:20:17 pm »
+1

Keep and ...

I don't know...most of those sound like nombos. Keep is only worth 5 points per pile, so winning big on the Silvers, for example, can give you some bonus points, but the person that ignores the Silver points will just win with extra Provinces and a couple of Golds.

The combos that I really like with Keep are any time there's only one copy (or really limited numbers) of a treasure. Black Market being the big example. "Sure I'll buy a Venture that's also worth 5 points!"

I wonder how it affects the Tournament choice. Would you ever consider Diadem as a first prize because of Keep? I'm guessing no, but it might become second after Followers (if there was no other cursing).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1010 on: February 24, 2017, 12:26:07 pm »

Keep and ...

I wonder how it affects the Tournament choice. Would you ever consider Diadem as a first prize because of Keep? I'm guessing no, but it might become second after Followers (if there was no other cursing).

Followers should usually not be the first Prize, and if it should, it's because of the discard attack, not because of the cursing (it junks you just as much). Usually it should be Princess or Trusty Steed that you're going for first.

You don't need to win big, you just need to win by one. That's a 10 point swing, i.e. absolutely worth going for, especially in the case of Masterpiece since Masterpiece itself is another 10 point swing if your opponent ignores it. However, most of those sound like not potentially useful due to the very specific situation requirements.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1011 on: April 04, 2017, 05:34:51 am »
+7

Miser + Fountain lets you get rid of your Coppers and still get the 15.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 04, 2017, 09:18:57 am »
+1

Artificer/Poor House is actually pretty good. You basically get to gain cards and still get coins for them. You can add villages or more Poor Houses and Artificers if you need mid-turn.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 11, 2017, 06:15:20 pm »
+2

Engineer / Travelling Fair
Turn 1: Buy Travelling Fair, buy and topdeck Engineer.
Turn 2: Play Engineer.  Pay off debt, and you can even buy a second Engineer.

You can do this regardless of your initial shuffle.

aku_chi

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 11, 2017, 12:33:29 pm »
+2

Alms + Bridge

With Alms, you can always open double Bridge.  With Alms, whenever you play a single Bridge you can gain a $5 card and a $2 card.  If you can get multiple Bridges into play, this synergy gets even stronger.  This synergy is probably the best way to build if there are other good engine components on the board.  An action splitter costing $5 or less is probably essential, trashing and/or draw (especially non-terminal) help a bunch.

markus recently crushed me in a game with Alms + Bridge.  There was also Tactician, Patrician, and Village for additional synergy.  This synergy was so strong, it was correct to ignore Cultist and Wharf!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 16, 2017, 11:52:34 pm »
+6

It was posted before, but Remake-Villa is neat. You can trash $3 -> Villa, then trash the gained Villa -> $5, which lets you play Remake as nonterminal Remodel on $3 costs if you need to.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 17, 2017, 10:47:25 pm »
+1

Just played a Diplomat + Forager game. It was beautiful.
My opponent has more loot than me

aku_chi

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 26, 2017, 09:55:04 am »
+3

Gear + Encampment

If you open double Gear, there's a ~40% chance to be able to buy an Encampment and a Gold on turns 3 and 4 (and a near certainty to be able to get a Gold by turn 5).  Going forward, you can alternate Encampment buys with more expensive buys (probably $5+ terminals - Gold if there's nothing better) until the Encampments are gone.  You can easily save Gold and/or Encampments to guarantee that you kick off the next turn.  If there's nothing better on the board, you can build to playing as many Plunders as possible and buying Province each turn, but there's almost always something better.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 28, 2017, 10:02:45 am »
+1

Patrol/Venture

If you're playing BM, Patrol lets you set up just the right treasures for your Ventures to hit.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1019 on: July 03, 2017, 04:29:47 pm »

Patrol/Venture

If you're playing BM, Patrol lets you set up just the right treasures for your Ventures to hit.

That's neat but what ratio of Patrols-to-Ventures do you want, and what order to buy them, etc.?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1020 on: July 03, 2017, 06:08:52 pm »

Patrol/Venture

That's neat but what ratio of Patrols-to-Ventures do you want, and what order to buy them, etc.?

Well, you're playing BM so you probably want like 1-2 Patrols and Ventures on the other $5 turns.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:47 am »
+4

Farmland + Fortress: If you have a Fortress in hand during your Buy phase, you can spend $6 to gain 2 Farmlands, repeatedly. This usually isn't that useful, but if you have the money, it lets you empty the Farmland pile in 4 buys, and sometimes you're buy-constrained instead of money-constrained.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 04, 2017, 02:45:40 pm »
+4

Haggler + Ill-Gotten Gains

Haggler can't gain victory cards but that doesn't mean it can't effectively gain you points. I had a game yesterday with strong trashing so IGG was pointless and not gained for most of the game. On my last turn I bought the last 2 Provinces using the 2 Hagglers I had in play to gain 4 IGGs giving my opponent 4 curses. I won the game by 3 points.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 05, 2017, 05:22:36 pm »
+2

Governor/Mountain Pass

A Governor deck is often able to win without buying a card after it is set up, so you can bid all 40 debt on the first Province gain. You should make sure your opponent is the first to go for Provinces.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:26:34 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 05, 2017, 05:37:19 pm »
+5

You should make sure your opponent is the first to go for Provinces.

I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 21 queries.