Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504364 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #950 on: February 05, 2017, 05:11:35 pm »
+4

Have you noticed that no one gives a shit?  It's a neat interaction, whether or not it's likely to come up very often.

But it isn't potentially useful. Out of principle, I wouldn't really like to have Adam's thread derailed even though he doesn't post on f.ds anymore.

You're the person derailing it, not everybody who mentions a three card combo. You're the one who feels compelled to start this discussion every fucking time it comes up.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #951 on: February 05, 2017, 05:15:16 pm »
+1

Have you noticed that no one gives a shit?  It's a neat interaction, whether or not it's likely to come up very often.

But it isn't potentially useful. Out of principle, I wouldn't really like to have Adam's thread derailed even though he doesn't post on f.ds anymore.

You're the person derailing it, not everybody who mentions a three card combo. You're the one who feels compelled to start this discussion every fucking time it comes up.

Three-card interactions aren't potentially useful. This is not the thread for interactions that aren't potentially useful.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: February 05, 2017, 05:23:11 pm »
+7

Of course three-card interactions are potentialyl useful, the potential is just lower

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 05, 2017, 05:54:46 pm »
+4

Of course three-card interactions are potentialyl useful, the potential is just lower

And learning of a specific three component interaction can point to other three component interactions; the one that started this little discussion was Palace + Masterpiece + Soothsayer. Another more broad interaction can be extrapolated from this: I would definitely say Palace + Silver gainer + Gold gainer is "potentially useful", especially when one of the gainers is non-terminal.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: February 05, 2017, 06:00:04 pm »
+2

Also, Palace is a Landmark.  It's not part of the 10 Kingdom cards, and is part of a lower pool of Events/Landmarks to choose from.  So there's a higher probability of seeing the interaction I mentioned than if Palace were replaced with, say, a Kingdom Victory card that did the same thing.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 05, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »

you can Mint Crowns!

And you can Crown Mints!
And you can Crown Mint to Mint 2 Crowns!
Or you can Crown a Crown to play a Horn of Plenty twice, gaining Villa, returning to your Action phase, then Crowning the Mint. At which point we're far outside the potentially useful interactions, and rapidly heading for the border of "neat" as well.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 05, 2017, 09:23:43 pm »

Crowning a crown on HoP to gain Villa sounds beautiful.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 05, 2017, 09:40:19 pm »

Does the HoP get to gain a 2nd card?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 05, 2017, 10:00:04 pm »

Does the HoP get to gain a 2nd card?
I'm pretty sure it does, it's just that you happen to gain it in the new Action phase.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 05, 2017, 10:21:26 pm »

I feel like there is a Crown Royal joke here somewhere...

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: February 06, 2017, 08:00:21 pm »
+3

Awaclus, the probability of a combo appearing says nothing about how useful it is if it does. You could argue that for combos that actually require three cards to be lined up, it will often not be worth the effort (not considering cases where the third card's purpose IS to line up the other two). But that argument does not apply if one is a Landmark.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #961 on: February 06, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »
+1

Awaclus, the probability of a combo appearing says nothing about how useful it is if it does. You could argue that for combos that actually require three cards to be lined up, it will often not be worth the effort (not considering cases where the third card's purpose IS to line up the other two). But that argument does not apply if one is a Landmark.

Yes, but that's only if it ever appears, which it won't. This is supposed to be a thread for the kind of stuff that people should actually memorize and check whether or not it's there at the start of every game. A more appropriate thread for sharing an interesting 3-piece interaction that just came up would be the Best Dominion Moments thread because that's exactly what it is: a moment. A moment that is now in the past and will never happen again.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 06, 2017, 08:26:11 pm »
+4

Yes, but that's only if it ever appears, which it won't. This is supposed to be a thread for the kind of stuff that people should actually memorize and check whether or not it's there at the start of every game. A more appropriate thread for sharing an interesting 3-piece interaction that just came up would be the Best Dominion Moments thread because that's exactly what it is: a moment. A moment that is now in the past and will never happen again.

Not everyone plays full random.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 06, 2017, 10:50:55 pm »
+4

look dude everyone uses this thread to post about something neat they found out after they played a game, why does it make you happy to be a dick to people for not having fun discussing things in exactly the way you want them to
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 07, 2017, 12:05:46 am »
+1

So, how exactly are you entitled to define what this thread is about?
Edit: It appears AdamH upvoted you, so, uh, I guess this IS the definition? Bummer. Do I need to create a "fun card interactions that need not necessary be probable to come up" thread, now?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:08:18 am by Asper »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 07, 2017, 03:36:24 am »
+3

Yesterday we had Charm with Overlord and Royal Blacksmith in the kingdom.

As you can buy debt-only cards anytime you are debt-free, you can buy one, get one free, pay later. The interaction is not perfect as with Charm and Royal Blacksmith you have already two card that Overlord cannot impersonate. Indeed we had so few +Action cards in the kingdom that we repeatedly used Overlord as a Hamlet.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 07, 2017, 04:50:28 am »
+10

I don't know if that was mentioned, but Borrow + Diplomat is kinda nice. +$1 each turn and + 2 Actions from Diplomat.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #967 on: February 07, 2017, 05:07:54 am »
+1

So, how exactly are you entitled to define what this thread is about?
Edit: It appears AdamH upvoted you, so, uh, I guess this IS the definition? Bummer. Do I need to create a "fun card interactions that need not necessary be probable to come up" thread, now?

That has been the definition all along.

One day, long ago I had a dream. This dream was that there would be a thread full of little combos that people could read through and add to their mental checklists so their game might improve.

Part of my dream was that these combos would appear in actual games of Dominion that were played. This probably means that they require only two cards to pull off.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 07, 2017, 06:49:03 am »
+4

Well, last time I checked, we weren't dictatorially bound to slavishly adhere to a thread's author's intent when posting. Wasn't that fact one of the reasons why Adam left in the first place?

*waves at AdamH, who apparently still lurks here for whatever reason*

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 07, 2017, 07:26:08 am »
+4

No, Adam left because he wanted the place to be moderated more heavily. Telling someone that their post is neither neat nor useful is valid, especially because there are multiple threads for "I did a nice thing and want to tell people about it".

Like, Palace + Silver and Gold gainer is not a neat interaction, it's explaining the Landmark....

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 07, 2017, 08:21:53 am »
+1

tfair+ferry+tmap is great, in one game I opened baron/ferry tmap, on turn 3 hit 6 from baron to topdeck two maps and get golds on turn 4.

It also requires three unique components.

I mean, the real interaction here is just the tfair and tmap, which won't be that uncommon. Under normal circumstances, that would take 10 money...and 10 money for 4 golds is a pretty good value. There are a ton of other cards which will make this combo easier to pull off though (such as ferry).

Its more general, as there are several combos on same principle. It needs cost reduction and top-decking. Ferry and stonemason are best as are always available, you could use quarry with reliable topdecking and maybe bridge.

For topdecking you could use tfair, watchtower and royal seal.

So there are more combos, some need more  support as they rely on two unreliable components.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 07, 2017, 11:07:38 am »
+7

Stonemason + Raze

Normally, Stonemason is bad to open with.  But, Raze changes that.  Opening with Stonemason + Raze x2 on $4 is really strong.  Ideally, the Razes trash Estates and the Stonemason trashes a Copper.  After a couple times through your deck, you can use a Raze to trash the Stonemason if you'd like.  Stonemason + Ratcatcher x2 is okay.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 11, 2017, 08:57:24 pm »

ambassador + wolf den

if you have a trim & strong engine vs. a sloggy thing and there isn't a way to prolong the game (provinces are low, you already gave them curses) you can send them copies of all the cards they don't have
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 12, 2017, 12:34:15 pm »
+15

Reposting combo from other thread: lurker-hunting grounds.

This is a rebuild on steroids. Uncontested  it pretty reliably gives you 30 points and three pile ending on turn 11.

Strategy is to buy lurkers and use them to get more lurkers until lurkers are out. Then buy estates and trash hunting grounds for duchies or estates. If contested when you couldn't get trashed lurker on same turn get hunting grounds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #974 on: February 12, 2017, 07:12:28 pm »
+2

I've been playing around with Lurker/Hunting Grounds as well and I have a couple of points of improvement as well as a list of all the support cards that you could possibly think of and how well they actually work. I'll probably write an article or something about it unless someone else does it first.

At best, I've gotten it down to 6 turns with Donate and Catacombs. Even without any support, I think 11 turns is on the slower end of this crazyness; it happens a lot, but 10 turns happens a lot too and I think 9 turns is still more common than 12, although they both are rare.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.