Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504330 times)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #775 on: September 22, 2016, 12:10:15 am »

Also, Diadem.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 24, 2016, 12:17:50 pm »
+1

Expedition / Mission

Basically on any board with pretty good draw but more than 5 stop cards, if you have $4 and a buy it is always the right move to buy Mission every turn and then spend all your Mission turn money on Expeditions.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 29, 2016, 11:48:38 am »

Mission + Alms / Seaway / Ball

Obvious, but if these events are on the table you can gain stuff in your Mission turn. Seaway and Ball in particular can be bought multiple times in a mission turn, which more than makes up for the opportunity cost of buying Mission even if you don't accomplish much else that extra turn.

bug me on discord

they/them

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #778 on: October 04, 2016, 05:15:34 pm »

Wine Merchant - Wine Merchant

When you only play 1 Wine Merchant but don't spend $2 of the $4, it's like a terminal Silver with a +buy.  If you play 2 WMs and don't spend $2, it's like they were both terminal Golds.  The more WMs in play, the better because the more near they are to being the $4.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 04, 2016, 05:28:40 pm »
+2

Quest- tunnel
As far as tunnel enablers this one is pretty good
It gets better with terminal draw so you can gain golds off both quest and tunnel.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 04, 2016, 05:30:03 pm »
+1

When you only play 1 Wine Merchant but don't spend $2 of the $4, it's like a terminal Silver with a +buy.  If you play 2 WMs and don't spend $2, it's like they were both terminal Golds.  The more WMs in play, the better because the more near they are to being the $4.
In bm this is decent because you can get them off your mat once per shuffle and have a bunch of 5 dollar terminal 4 coin

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 04, 2016, 05:34:03 pm »

I kind of thought this was the point of the card? It's purpose built to be engine payload, or at least, you use them all and then dispense them at once in slogs or something.

bug me on discord

they/them

polot38

• Baron
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 04, 2016, 05:40:38 pm »
+2

Raze-Tunnel

You start off by trashing down, then get a few tunnels. Trash a gold with a raze, flip 3 or 4 tunnels, and profit.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 05, 2016, 12:55:19 pm »
+3

My new favorite no-cost-reduction Inheritance target: Encampment. It's drool-worthy.

Depending on your priorities and your opponents, you can use the Estate-Encampments at the beginning of your turn in case you have to put them back into the Estate pile and rebuy them.

Forget Estate-Ironmongers and Estate-Magpies. It's hard to beat +2 Cards, +2 Actions. Encampment would be an overpowered card if there were more than 5 of them. 13(17) of them is a LOT.

I managed to do this in a game with good trashing, +buy and Windfall. Yeah, I know. I also snagged the reset of the real encampments first before my opponents could inherit one, which doesn't take long since there are only 5 and Inheritance removes one. This was in a kingdom with no other draw. And a bunch of terminals and no other Villages. Ouch. One Windfall is plenty: Every subsequent turn was draw deck, Militia attack, Workshop an Estate-Encampment, Golds and two Plunders for points/coin, buy two Provinces and an Estate-encampment, repeat. It never stalled, even after buying 10 Provinces.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:57:01 pm by JThorne »

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 05, 2016, 01:43:40 pm »

You can't re-buy Encampments or inherited Estates the same turn you have to set them aside. Inheriting Encampment gives you a whole Estate pile to work with though.

bug me on discord

they/them

smuggler

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 05, 2016, 08:02:28 pm »

I love peddler with training.
Cantrip for 0, worth a silver.
You just only need +buy then ;)

JThorne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 06, 2016, 09:08:39 am »

You can't re-buy Encampments or inherited Estates the same turn you have to set them aside.

True. Good clarification. I didn't re-buy them the same turn, but that's exactly the kind of thing I make sure to point out in games. Lots of IRL players do things like lay their victory cards on the table, discard them before buying, shuffle their discards when it's not their turn, discard durations on the second turn, and a host of other things that seem like they don't matter, but do. Putting back Encampments immediately on-play is definitely in that category.

Speaking of which, handy hint: I always turn cards on their way back to the supply upside-down to call extra attention to them when cleaning up.

Inheriting Encampment gives you a whole Estate pile to work with though.

That was enough in that game, though usually in an Inheritance game with +buy I'm guessing that the Estate pile drains in no time.

Also in the kingdom was Silk Road and Castles. Interesting, but nothing worth skipping buying more Estates for. I double-checked, and they would have been worth 5 points each for me at the end of the game. In hindsight, if it had been a closer game, I might have gone for the Silk Road 3-pile (Encampment-Plunder/Estate/Silk Road) instead of emptying Provinces.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 06, 2016, 09:30:01 am »

I don't think Silk Road is ever skippable in an Inheritance game, especially if you can inherit something like Candlestick Maker or Market Square. Each Silk Road should be worth at least four points, which is quite valuable for $4, and can probably be rushed if you have a third pile to drain.

bug me on discord

they/them

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 06, 2016, 01:26:33 pm »
+2

Plan + Market Square

On weak BM boards this can be a strategy in and of itself. Just open Plan / MS and trash Estates and Coppers, gaining roughly one Gold at a time this way. Sometimes you'll get two! You should then be ready to green. Obviously this isn't that strong but it can work out OK if you're otherwise bored.

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 06, 2016, 06:04:23 pm »

Plan + Market Square

On weak BM boards this can be a strategy in and of itself. Just open Plan / MS and trash Estates and Coppers, gaining roughly one Gold at a time this way. Sometimes you'll get two! You should then be ready to green. Obviously this isn't that strong but it can work out OK if you're otherwise bored.

That puts the "potentially" into "potentially useful" for sure.

Secret Passage + Herald/Wishing Well/Mystic/Vassal/Masquerade/Patrol/Scrying Pool

Put a Copper in your next hand for Mask protection, or an Action card for Herald/Vassal/Wishing Well/Mystic. Tuck away a Curse/Victory for Patrol pick up on dispatch.

Harbinger + Prizes/Fortune

Never stop playing Steed, Followers or Princess. Or maybe a Fortune instead.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:06:15 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 07, 2016, 11:00:27 am »

Plan + Market Square

Secret Passage + Herald/Wishing Well/Mystic/Vassal/Masquerade/Patrol/Scrying Pool

Put a Copper in your next hand for Mask protection, or an Action card for Herald/Vassal/Wishing Well/Mystic. Tuck away a Curse/Victory for Patrol pick up on dispatch.

Harbinger + Prizes/Fortune

Never stop playing Steed, Followers or Princess. Or maybe a Fortune instead.

Secret Passage also works with Vagrant, Cartographer, Sentry, Lookout, Doctor...

JThorne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 07, 2016, 01:10:51 pm »

Plan + Market Square

Well, there is a grain of usefulness there: Market Square basically "combos" with any self-trasher (as opposed to what beginners might assume was primarily a "reaction" to a trashing attack.) The only trouble with using Market Square with most trashers is getting them to match up in the same hand, whereas Plan doesn't have that problem, because you can always buy Plan when Market square is in your hand.

To a certain degree, a great many of the suggestions in this thread really represent basic synergies, and almost all of them have multiple possible replacements for one or more of the cards.

In a way, this observation simply belongs in the Market Square wiki article: It's a card that like self-trashers, some self-trashers are events such as Plan and Trade, eliminating the need for matching. If you're using it with a trashing action, refer to the article on...um...matchers? Is Dominion missing a term?

Is there a list of cards/strategies somewhere that can effectively get cards to meet up in the same hand without shuffle luck? I'm thinking this needs a separate thread. I'll go make one now.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #792 on: October 17, 2016, 02:23:29 am »
+1

Save / Moat

If you can afford it, put a Moat on top of your deck every turn, to never get affected by an attack.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 17, 2016, 03:43:12 pm »

Save / Moat

If you can afford it, put a Moat on top of your deck every turn, to never get affected by an attack.

And play with a 4-card hand for the rest of the game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 17, 2016, 03:44:52 pm »

Save / Moat

Just get a bunch of Moats, so you can increase your handsize.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 17, 2016, 03:47:48 pm »
+4

Save / Moat

Save adds to your normal hand, you'll have a 5 card hand + Moat. It's just the opportunity cost of whatever other thing you might have Saved / bought.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:38:03 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 17, 2016, 04:39:46 pm »

Save / Moat

Save adds to your normal hand, you'll have a 5 card hand + Moat. It's just the opportunity cost of whatever other thing you might have Saved / bought.

Right, right, forgot that. Was thinking topdecking for some reason.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 17, 2016, 05:21:19 pm »
+2

Save / Moat

Right, right, forgot that. Was thinking topdecking for some reason.

Save/Borrow lets you "topdeck" a card per turn for free.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 19, 2016, 08:00:22 am »

Save / Moat

Hey, you want to be attack-proof or not?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 22, 2016, 10:24:32 am »
+2

Diplomat / Courtier

Play Courtier, reveal Diplomat, and take +1 Action and Gold/+$3/+Buy. Then a play Diplomat, and it becomes a Lost City. You can build (lame) engines using this combination.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.