Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504496 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #725 on: September 01, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »

I wanted to make a Dominion calendar for my Dad (who is also a Dominion fan) where for each day of the year there is one combo/Interaction. I will take some from here (of course crediting the author of said interaction), but I was wondering how to organize it, any ideas?
Do you live in a place with four distinct seasons, like Michigan?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 01, 2016, 01:24:58 pm »

I wanted to make a Dominion calendar for my Dad (who is also a Dominion fan) where for each day of the year there is one combo/Interaction. I will take some from here (of course crediting the author of said interaction), but I was wondering how to organize it, any ideas?

Yes, why?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 01, 2016, 01:56:38 pm »

Yes, why?

Roadrunner is thinking you can organize the combos into what would fit best in different seasons

For instance, Cartographer/Harvest would go in uh September.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 01, 2016, 02:40:09 pm »
+5

Actually, I think Cartographer/Harvest would go in Hellfreezovember. Or maybe Notgonnahappenuary.

buggy

• Scout
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
    • Interactivities Ink
« Reply #729 on: September 01, 2016, 03:47:31 pm »
+2

I'm not normally a big fan of Summon, but I just played a board with it, Armory, and Treasure Map.  That was fun.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 01, 2016, 05:18:30 pm »
+2

Actually, I think Cartographer/Harvest would go in Hellfreezovember. Or maybe Notgonnahappenuary.

How about Nombovember?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 01, 2016, 05:19:13 pm »

Yes, why?
Just wondering
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 01, 2016, 06:05:59 pm »
+6

Well there's the main set, 10 expansions, and promos, that's 12 categories. Obv. a combo between two cards from different expansions gives you two choices. Promos isn't much; you could instead do Events/Landmarks for the last month.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 01, 2016, 06:41:03 pm »

Is Rebuild/Begger a thing?  In this game:
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160901/log.0.1472706113901.txt

I used Begger to grab Rebuilds and later Duchies.  Don't bother pointing out all the mistakes, I know that I sucked hard this game, and only won because my opponent sucked even harder.  (For instance, due to a misclick, I accidentally bought Alms with $5 in hand on turn 1. :'()

It seems to me that Begger was pretty reliable about hitting 5, which was the only price point that was really important, except perhaps 4 to grab the occasional Dungeon to help sifting and find the Rebuilds.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:48:21 pm by Jacob marley »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 01, 2016, 07:20:08 pm »
+2

I doubt it, you are not only trying to get to $5 often, but also try to play your Rebuilds as often as possible which is kind of hard with all those Coppers in your deck.

Jasoba

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 02, 2016, 06:16:29 am »

Its ok, yah 3 copper sounds alot, but if your opponent also uses rebuild the game is so fast it dosnt matter, what matters is getting 5 NOW. So yah I like it!

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 02, 2016, 06:28:23 am »

Nah, I don't think it's a thing. Beggar is a slog card, that doesn't work with Rebuild's tendency to rush games to an end. Hitting 5 consistently is not as important as, for example, in Duke games, and like Qvist said those Coppers will really get in your way.

Also, I'm pretty sure your log shows a different game.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 02, 2016, 12:50:21 pm »

Your right, I corrected the link.  Mainly, I won by grabbing a lot of duchies to cut off his estate->Duchy rebuilds, and I don't think that I could have done so with out the beggar, but that may be situational and if I had not screwed up turn 1, unnecessary.

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 07, 2016, 12:41:22 pm »
+2

Gear + Crossroads

Use gear to set aside crossroads/estates to kick off your next turn.  3 crossroads and 4 gears is enough to draw a deck of 21 cards.  Yeah, I know gear is great for starting village+draw engines in general, but crossroads is cheap and you usually start with 3 estates anyway.  With any way to play more of these (+actions, throning, etc), you should have no trouble drawing your deck even when it gets bigger.  If anything, this deck gets stronger when greening, so it can get a little ridiculous with something like groundskeeper (and +buy).  Mostly, it's a viable engine when there's no decent trashing and no great traditional village+draw.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 07, 2016, 03:09:40 pm »
+2

3 crossroads and 4 gears is enough to draw a deck of 21 cards.

I'm trying to work out the math on this one.

You start with a hand of Crossroads + 3 Estates + 5 other cards (8). Crossroads, draw three, + 3 actions (11). Assume you have another Crossroads, Draw three, 2 actions left (14). Gear, draw 2, stash 2. Gear, draw 2 stash 2 (18). You've now stashed Crossroads/3 Estates for your next turn so that your next turn can be identical, but you've only drawn a total of 18 cards. If you play that third Crossroads to draw to 21 cards, you've broken the chain.

That said, your starting 10 + 3 Crossroads and 4 Gears is 17 cards. You can buy just one treasure (even copper!) along the way, and you should be able to buy a Province a turn, which will never clog because Crossroads will replace any purchased Provinces with other cards.

The question is whether that's faster than Gear BM. Could make an interesting simulation. My guess is that you want a +buy somewhere, because spending three turns overpaying for Crossroads and probably overpaying once or twice for Gears seems like a waste. The +buy better be non-terminal or treasure, though!

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 08, 2016, 11:39:32 am »

You start with a hand of Crossroads + 3 Estates + 5 other cards (8). Crossroads, draw three, + 3 actions (11). Assume you have another Crossroads, Draw three, 2 actions left (14). Gear, draw 2, stash 2. Gear, draw 2 stash 2 (18). You've now stashed Crossroads/3 Estates for your next turn so that your next turn can be identical, but you've only drawn a total of 18 cards. If you play that third Crossroads to draw to 21 cards, you've broken the chain.

That said, your starting 10 + 3 Crossroads and 4 Gears is 17 cards. You can buy just one treasure (even copper!) along the way, and you should be able to buy a Province a turn, which will never clog because Crossroads will replace any purchased Provinces with other cards.

The question is whether that's faster than Gear BM. Could make an interesting simulation. My guess is that you want a +buy somewhere, because spending three turns overpaying for Crossroads and probably overpaying once or twice for Gears seems like a waste. The +buy better be non-terminal or treasure, though!

I was also counting the two gears in play from the previous turn, and Crossroads + 3 Estates + 5 other cards = 9.  I feel like this probably doesn't beat Gear BM without nonterminal +Buy or anything else useful.  I'd be interested to see how they compare with say market square on the board.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 08, 2016, 02:01:25 pm »

I was also counting the two gears in play from the previous turn, and Crossroads + 3 Estates + 5 other cards = 9.  I feel like this probably doesn't beat Gear BM without nonterminal +Buy or anything else useful.  I'd be interested to see how they compare with say market square on the board.
It's a good way to kick of reliably but gear kind of does that anyway.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 08, 2016, 02:06:27 pm »

It's a good way to kick of reliably but gear kind of does that anyway.
Right, I probably wouldn't play this with a real engine on the board.  (unless there's also groundskeeper or something)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 08, 2016, 10:17:36 pm »
+1

Had a really sloggy game with Trader and Soothsayer. Opened Sooth / nothing, got a Trader and a Sooth Gold / Silver on the second shuffle, Tradered the Gold into six Silvers, started greening pretty soon after that. Gold gainers are nice for Trader if you're silver flooding.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 09, 2016, 10:42:43 pm »
+1

Lost Arts + Cultist.

If there aren't any villages around, chaining Cultists will give you extra actions to spare to play other terminals, since playing subsequent Cultists from you hand doesn't spend an Action, but you will gain the token's bonus anyways.

e.g. Play a Cultist, +1 Action, play another Cultist from you hand, +1 Action, then you'll have 2 Actions remaining.

EDIT: OK, this has been brought up before, but it's worth mentioning again.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:45:07 pm by mameluke »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 11, 2016, 10:25:51 am »
+5

Raze/Tunnel

A neat little trick.
Step 1: Get Gold, Raze, a bunch of Tunnels.
Step 2: Raze Gold, revealing and discarding a bunch of Tunnels.
Step 3: Repeat.

Usefulness is rather low probably, but it's a nice effect.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 12, 2016, 02:36:28 pm »
+1

This probably only barely qualifies, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this...

Overlord as Band of Misfits as Conspirator = Conspirator is the third action you've played this turn.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:23:53 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Miked

• Salvager
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 13, 2016, 07:45:25 am »
+2

Hunting Grounds/Groundskeeper

Trash Hunting Grounds with a bunch of Groundskeepers in play for 3 Estates and you'll get tons of points. I managed to outscore Dominate with this so it seems like it can be really strong.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 13, 2016, 07:53:42 am »
+1

Trash Hunting Grounds with a bunch of Groundskeepers in play for 3 Estates and you'll get tons of points. I managed to outscore Dominate with this so it seems like it can be really strong.

Add Stonemason for extra fun! Use $7 buys to empty the Groundskeeper pile, then get all your Groundskeeper in play and trash Hunting Grounds for 3 Estates and 2 Duchy!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Miked

• Salvager
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 13, 2016, 08:36:11 am »

Add Stonemason for extra fun! Use $7 buys to empty the Groundskeeper pile, then get all your Groundskeeper in play and trash Hunting Grounds for 3 Estates and 2 Duchy!
The game I played had Altar which was nice with this too.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.