Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504239 times)

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #675 on: August 03, 2016, 07:15:29 pm »
+2

Rats + +X tokens

Well, this at least satisfies one of the thread's qualifiers.  There are a couple combos with a 3rd card/event/landmark that would probably be good in the (admittedly rare) case that you see them. 

1. Rats + Pathfinding + Fortress: Having a deck with 20 labs is great.  Having a deck with 20 labs and nothing else is not so great.  If you can have a fortress in hand whenever you play a rats, you can keep your other cards.

2. Rats + Training + Dominate: A deck consisting of at least 14 trained rats and nothing else can buy dominate every turn.  You'll have to trash the province, but still, 9 points a turn might be good enough.

3. Rats + Seaway + Ruins: Suppose your opponents has avoided rats (because there's no other trashing and they're terrible).  Suppose you've drawn your deck and for some reason have at least 2 seawayed rats in hand.  You can now autopile the rats and have at least 20 buys to buy out the curses and ruins and empty 3 piles in one turn.  Best of all, it only costs you 10 points plus however many more you had in your hand!

3. Rats + Seaway + Tomb: Seaway rats and get as many of them as possible.  Once you have <5 non-rats cards in your deck, buy enough coppers each turn so that you have 5 non-rats cards for next turn.  Trashing those 5 cards yields 5 points a turn, which is admittedly less than province a turn, but (like some golden decks) is fast enough that it can still be good.  On average, after n turns, you should have roughly 5n-28 points from tomb.  This gets you to the equivalent of 4 provinces in 11 turns.

I'm not sure if there's much else good you can do with a deck full of rats, but there's 20 of them and you can get them real quick, so it seems like anything good you can find to do would be pretty fast.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:26:11 am by tim17 »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 03, 2016, 07:20:18 pm »

3. Rats + Seaway + Tomb: Seaway rats and get as many of them as possible.  Every turn, buy n coppers/curses/ruins, where n is the number of rats you have, and then get n points when you trash them next turn.  Okay, maybe you don't get perfect shuffle luck, but you should still get close to n points a turn.

Every time you trash, your handsize reduces by one, so you can really only get ~5 points per turn without additional support.  Needs Rats + Fortress + Tomb to gain a point for each Rats.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 03, 2016, 07:27:19 pm »
+1

Talisman/Keep
Had a very fun game with these two today. It's nice because Talisman can pick up Silver and itself, and even Copper if your really need them. I our game, we actually picked up multiple Potions without wanting the Potion card. The game was also interesting because it had very little +Buy (not sure whether that helps Talisman or hurts it here). Very fun in any case.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:30:08 pm by Asper »

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 03, 2016, 07:31:16 pm »

3. Rats + Seaway + Tomb: Seaway rats and get as many of them as possible.  Every turn, buy n coppers/curses/ruins, where n is the number of rats you have, and then get n points when you trash them next turn.  Okay, maybe you don't get perfect shuffle luck, but you should still get close to n points a turn.

Every time you trash, your handsize reduces by one, so you can really only get ~5 points per turn without additional support.  Needs Rats + Fortress + Tomb to gain a point for each Rats.

Oh, yeah that doesn't work the way I wanted it to.  I guess I didn't really think that one through.

edit: Upon further thought, even the 5 points a turn is still decent since it gets started so fast.  I'll elaborate in my above comment.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:21:26 am by tim17 »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #679 on: August 03, 2016, 07:56:11 pm »
+1

Walled Village and Reserve cards

Play Walled Village and a couple Duplicates or something. Keep your Walled Village for next turn.

Alternatively, Walled Village and Bonfire. Trash all of your other actions from play and put the Walled Villages back!

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 04, 2016, 10:00:27 am »
+3

Opponent's relying on ironmongers as villages? CR his entire deck for him so he's stuck villageless!

Who knew even CR's 'drawback' was an attack.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 04, 2016, 11:45:36 am »

Opponent's relying on ironmongers as villages? CR his entire deck for him so he's stuck villageless!

What's CR? Council Room?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 04, 2016, 11:47:47 am »
+5

What's CR? Council Room?

No, it stands for Governor.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #683 on: August 07, 2016, 09:44:21 pm »
+1

Herald/Philosopher's Stone. In a slog deck with Herald in the Kingdom (rare, I know!) you can purchase Heralds to topdeck Pstone. You need +Buy to make it really good. I did it twice in this game.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160808/log.0.1470620568740.txt
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 07, 2016, 11:49:21 pm »

Someone just added Donate/Delve as a combo on the wiki.  I don't see how this is any more powerful than any other Donate strategy, and honestly think Donate/Market Square is a combo, if anything.  Thoughts?  Should I delete the article?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 08, 2016, 12:24:14 am »

Are they saying it is a combo because you could open with Silver/Silver/Donate on Turn 1 if you have at least 4?, or I guess you could even get a 3rd on Turn 2 and then Donate.

Seems like it could be good on the right board, but I would be on the side of not combo-y enough to be in a list of combos.

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 08, 2016, 12:53:53 am »

I think if it ends up deleted then some of the other listed combos which are similar in nature should be evaluated too (Ironworks/Great Hall, Death Cart/Rats).

Some of the write-up should be transferred to the Donate page as a 'neat interaction with this card' - the pages for Rats and Ironworks already have passing mentions of the above - I don't know that being in the same expansion is good enough to warrant an article over similar 'neat interactions with th[ese] card[s ]' - if those belong then this one probably does as well.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 08, 2016, 02:28:24 pm »
+3

Are they saying it is a combo because you could open with Silver/Silver/Donate on Turn 1 if you have at least 4?, or I guess you could even get a 3rd on Turn 2 and then Donate.

Right.

T3: pay off $6 debt
T4: pay off $2 debt, buy two Silvers, making your deck SSSSS.
T5: Province, Silver
T6: Province, Silver
T7: Province, (maybe Silver) (or 3 Silvers if you happen to get unlucky and draw PPSSS from a deck of SSSSSSSPP)

Five Provinces by turn 9/10? That's pretty fast. Even with the engine-loving Donate on the board, that's tough to beat.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 09, 2016, 03:47:41 am »
+1

Someone just added Donate/Delve as a combo on the wiki.  I don't see how this is any more powerful than any other Donate strategy, and honestly think Donate/Market Square is a combo, if anything.  Thoughts?  Should I delete the article?

How about a Feodum/Donate opening? Lets you pay off Donate in Turn 3.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 10, 2016, 03:15:06 pm »
+5

Treasury/Dominate? The only way to buy that juicy 15VP is to rack up a lot of coin each turn, and yet you're not technically buying a Victory card, so you never have to discard your Treasuries.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 10, 2016, 03:43:06 pm »

Treasury/Dominate? The only way to buy that juicy 15VP is to rack up a lot of coin each turn, and yet you're not technically buying a Victory card, so you never have to discard your Treasuries.

Inherit Treasuries (using a cost reducer) in order to get 14 of  them on your deck every turn! 17 for a Militia proof solution.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 10, 2016, 04:27:34 pm »

Or how about a Feodum/Feodum opening and Donate on your next turn? You can pay off debt and have spending money left over.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:28:37 pm by guidobass »

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 10, 2016, 04:59:55 pm »

Or how about a Feodum/Feodum opening and Donate on your next turn? You can pay off debt and have spending money left over.

How do you open Feodum/Feodum, barring Baker or Borrow shenanigans?  Donating on turn 2 instead of turn 4 or 5 seems like a much better option.

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:16 pm »

Ooops! forgot 3/4 split.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 10, 2016, 10:41:36 pm »
+1

Feodum/Feodum sounds awful. 6 silver is too much unless an engine is impossible.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 12, 2016, 05:43:44 pm »

Borrow + Overlord

Not so much a combo as a tactic to watch out for, but if your goal is to get overlords as fast as possible early game, you'll often want to borrow with 1 debt in order to get another overlord instead of waiting for the next turn.  In particular, you'll be able to get two overlords before your first reshuffle if you borrow on your second turn.  Alms/Villa or a baker token can also give you two overlords before the first reshuffle.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 12, 2016, 05:57:53 pm »
+4

Borrow + Overlord

Not so much a combo as a tactic to watch out for, but if your goal is to get overlords as fast as possible early game, you'll often want to borrow with 1 debt in order to get another overlord instead of waiting for the next turn.  In particular, you'll be able to get two overlords before your first reshuffle if you borrow on your second turn. 

You can't buy events when you have Debt, which includes even a event like Borrow.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 13, 2016, 11:00:34 am »
+1

Borrow + Overlord

Not so much a combo as a tactic to watch out for, but if your goal is to get overlords as fast as possible early game, you'll often want to borrow with 1 debt in order to get another overlord instead of waiting for the next turn.  In particular, you'll be able to get two overlords before your first reshuffle if you borrow on your second turn. 

You can't buy events when you have Debt, which includes even a event like Borrow.

I'm apparently really bad at rules, I guess you could borrow T1 and have a 3/10 chance of getting an overlord T2.  I suppose it still works with baker though.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #698 on: August 16, 2016, 03:27:50 pm »

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Ranger / Lost Arts.  The +5 makes it really easy to spike $6.  (Inherit the Rangers, fugetaboutit!)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 16, 2016, 03:34:43 pm »
+1

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Ranger / Lost Arts.  The +5 makes it really easy to spike $6.  (Inherit the Rangers, fugetaboutit!)

Well, the Inherited ones are terminal. 
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.