Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504489 times)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #650 on: July 13, 2016, 11:17:06 pm »

This is really interesting, how do you play StE properly? Looks to me that a BM game could use it to accelerate the endgame if they were winning. I want to see a head to head smithyBM game where one buys StE over Duchy and trashes a Province if it'll put it in the lead. Geronimoo's simlulator has the Empires cards up right? Shame i'm at work.....

Any strategy can use StE to accelerate the end game. An engine can probably use it better by generating plenty of coin and buys to Salt multiple times, though BM strategies can probably use it sooner to exert pressure. Tomb isn't needed for this.
The problem is that after a few provinces the bm player can just salt mill provinces(kinda like a rebuild player)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #651 on: July 16, 2016, 12:36:36 pm »
+3

Bonfire + Poor House

I think there's something to be said about using Bonfire to quickly trash 6 Coppers and then buying a Poor House with your 1 remaining Copper and going from there.  Note that you have a 50% chance of affording Bonfire on T3 in this case.

Example:
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160715/log.0.1468568762911.txt

EDIT:
Assuming a 4/3 opening.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:35:31 am by Dingan »

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 19, 2016, 08:52:36 am »

Storyteller + Treasure Trove

If you play Treasure Trove to Storyteller, you gain the Copper and Gold before the draw portion of Storyteller, so it's easy to draw them into hand immediately!  As usual, this is especially powerful if you have some way to trash the Coppers and/or the Golds (for value).  But, Storyteller loves Gold and can sift through Copper, so you don't need to trash them.

I put this synergy to use in this game: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160719/log.0.1468893006148.txt

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 19, 2016, 10:22:35 am »

Quarry + Distant Lands + Summon

Want a free +4 VP without having to buy and play Distant Lands? Simply have a Quarry (or any cost reductor) in play and gain Distant Lands through Summon! I did this in a game, and while I lost so badly (I didn't connect Tournament with Province until all the Prizes were gone), doing this helped me stay in the game somewhat instead of it being a total blow-out.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 19, 2016, 10:35:32 am »
+4

Messenger + Split Piles

Kind of minor, but if you grab the last card off the top of a split pile with Messenger's on-buy, nobody else gets one!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 19, 2016, 11:47:56 am »

Want a free +4 VP without having to buy and play Distant Lands? Simply have a Quarry (or any cost reductor) in play and gain Distant Lands through Summon! I did this in a game, and while I lost so badly (I didn't connect Tournament with Province until all the Prizes were gone), doing this helped me stay in the game somewhat instead of it being a total blow-out.

Technically you still have to play Distant Lands. Matters if the game ends before the start of your next turn.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 19, 2016, 01:42:29 pm »

Technically you still have to play Distant Lands. Matters if the game ends before the start of your next turn.

Well, yes. Who is going to buy Distant Lands with an immanent ending?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 19, 2016, 01:51:36 pm »

Well, yes. Who is going to buy Distant Lands with an immanent ending?

Was responding to "without having to buy and play". You still play it. :P

Who buys with imminent ending? Well, you don't buy with Summon, but it could be someone who didn't realize the game was endable on the opponent's next turn, or someone who was hoping that the opponent would be unable to. Or someone 3-piling on Distant Lands, never mind the 4VP.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 19, 2016, 02:12:20 pm »

Okay, enough edgecases. If such a scenario happened then of course something different would have to be done.

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02:54 am »
+4

Watchtower + Villa

Not really a whole lot here that hasn't been seen before with similar combinations, but there's a lot that these two cards like about each other:

1. Villa doesn't draw a card, making Watchtower's draw more effective.
2. Normally having a dead watchtower isn't bad cause it lets you topdeck stuff.  Now you can topdeck something, and if you can also get a villa, draw it with watchtower and play it.
3. Maybe the best part: play your treasures, get a villa, now your hand is small for your watchtower to draw lots of cards.  It feels like storyteller, except you actually get to use the money you play.

One drawback is that this chokes pretty easily on green/junk you can't play.  Estate trashing helps a lot, and gaining is also good as you can often topdeck the gains and play them in the same turn.  Putting these together, remodel variants are just awesome with this.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: July 21, 2016, 11:15:16 am »

Villa is basically a crappy Festival once the on-gain effect is done, so it makes sense that it comboes with Watchtower.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 21, 2016, 09:16:55 pm »
+1

Mission/tfb/Quest: I had a game recently where i used my regular turn to tfb Gold into Provinces, bought Mission, and bought Quest to get my Gold back. I guess it works whenever you want a Gold for $4, but this was especially nice as remodeling works on the mission turn also.

Also: Mission/Baths.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:30 pm »

Keep in mind that Baths only works if you didn't gain a card on your turn, which negates most other Mission tricks.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 21, 2016, 10:27:30 pm »
+1

Keep in mind that Baths only works if you didn't gain a card on your turn, which negates most other Mission tricks.

Well, like Salt the Earth/Tomb before, it's at the very least 2VP for $4, as long as it's there. And you can still attack or trash down.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 26, 2016, 08:57:37 am »
+4

Masterpiece/Capital
Easy one. Spike as high as you can to flood your deck with Silvers, then pay off the debt in a yiffie. I only did this twice and ended up with 23 Silvers. Obviously doesn't work well against discard attacks.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 26, 2016, 01:24:39 pm »
+4

Tomb/Watchtower

Use all your extra buys to buy and trash coppers for VPs. And, the one that came up in the game I played: Banquet/Tomb/Watchtower. Banquet is (edgecases aside) strictly superior to any non-victory card costing up to 5 with a watchtower in hand.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 26, 2016, 01:34:06 pm »
+6

Goons + Donate

With donate, hopefully it shouldn't require too much help to build a deck capable of playing 3-4 goons a turn.  At this point, you can buy a bunch of copper and get donate with your last buy to trash them.  Similar to goons watchtower, though donate helps you get the engine running more quickly and requires you to pay off the debt each turn.  Probably with donate on the board there are a number of powerful strategies, though 16 points a turn seems pretty good if you can reliably get 4 goons in play.  Obviously, if you can fit in other +buy as well, it will do a lot for you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 29, 2016, 09:47:06 pm »
+7

Transmute + Bonfire

This is a bit of a weird one. Open Potion/Bonfire. If you have any luck at all, you'll be able to buy a Transmute and another Bonfire on turns 3 and 4. By that point, your Transmute is very likely to collide with Estates. If there are no other Potion cards you want, you can trash the Potion with another Bonfire later. And if you don't want to keep your Transmute until the endgame (for Duchies), you can buy a Bonfire to trash it on the turn you convert your last Estate into Gold.

This still works best if you have another use for Potions. Failing that, it's very useful to have a $2 card you want to load up on for the early turns when you only have $2.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 30, 2016, 06:55:08 am »

Messenger + Split Piles

Kind of minor, but if you grab the last card off the top of a split pile with Messenger's on-buy, nobody else gets one!

I did something similar with the Knights pile; the last one of the pile was the $4 cost.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 01, 2016, 10:51:56 am »
+6

Villa + Poor House

Poor House requires three things to be great: +actions, +buy, and a way to get treasures out of your hand.  Villa provides all three (the latter only on-buy).  The synergy doesn't end there.  With a Poor House in hand, you're guaranteed to be able to buy a Villa and buy at least one more Poor House after playing the Villa.  Picture this: your hand is Poor House x2, Copper x3.  Normally, this hand is really bad, but with Villa in the kingdom, you can play Poor House + 3 Copper, buy a Villa, play the Villa, play a Poor House, and have an additional $5 and two buys.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 01, 2016, 01:23:51 pm »

With a Poor House in hand, you're guaranteed to be able to buy a Villa and buy at least one more Poor House after playing the Villa.

Guarantees are just asking for edge cases!

- Your hand is Poor House + 4 HoP.  No Villa for you!
- Your hand is Poor House + at least one Contraband.  Village or Poor House could be off the table.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 01, 2016, 01:40:42 pm »
+2

With a Poor House in hand, you're guaranteed to be able to buy a Villa and buy at least one more Poor House after playing the Villa.

Guarantees are just asking for edge cases!

- Your hand is Poor House + 4 HoP.  No Villa for you!
- Your hand is Poor House + at least one Contraband.  Village or Poor House could be off the table.

But are edge cases asking for guarantees?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 02, 2016, 11:59:21 pm »
+1

Ambassador + Quest

Open Double Ambassador. Every time you get a collision, free gold! If there is a non-terminal +buy, even better! Just Province while getting even more Golds!

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160803/log.0.1470196641809.txt
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:00:22 am by Seprix »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 03, 2016, 03:35:34 am »

> dmet   draws Procession, Procession, Copper, Copper, Copper

Ewww
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 03, 2016, 11:27:37 am »
+5

Walled Village and Reserve cards

Play Walled Village and a couple Duplicates or something. Keep your Walled Village for next turn.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.