Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504233 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #525 on: May 07, 2016, 02:07:15 pm »
+8

Herald + Jack of All Trades

I often overlook Herald's top-decking ability and focus on its play.  This isn't particularly specific to Jack, but it can be helpful late game if you hit that $5,6,7 hand and you have Golds in the discard. In a Jack BM strategy you don't have a lot of buying targets with those hands.  You'd normally do Gold or Duchy, but overpaying Herald can let you guarantee a Province next turn.  One that you buy in the mid-game may turn out to be useful as well, though its probably as likely to be drawn Dead with Jack than to play a Jack when you draw it.

This is overall not worth it, if not detrimental. Adding tons of Silver to your deck is just going to hurt Herald. The only way this is conceivable is if you're using Jack's Silver gaining ability to get some sort of payload, trashing the Silver.

I don't mean adding Heralds in heavily mid-game.  I mean using the overpay tactically to win the Province split late on unlucky draws.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 07, 2016, 04:18:52 pm »

Possession is cwazy with Mission.  In a deck-draw engine, Mission essentially doubles the number of Possession turns you take.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 07, 2016, 05:39:03 pm »
+1

Transmogrify can be nice with Distant Lands, if you have $4 cards you don't mind losing (Sea Hag, Moneylender, Rats, etc.)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 07, 2016, 05:50:42 pm »

Vault-Training is pretty cool.

1. open Silver/Silver
2. buy Vaults and more Silvers
3. play your first Vault, train Vaults.
4. play Vaults, find Silvers, buy Provinces.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 07, 2016, 07:11:23 pm »
+2

Raze-Fortress is fantastic. You trash Fortress, pick whatever card you want, and then you still get a village to play!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 08, 2016, 08:31:53 am »

Raze-Fortress is fantastic. You trash Fortress, pick whatever card you want, and then you still get a village to play!
Found that one out in a game with Fragsnap's Patrol (From Greed). If you trash a card costing 3 or more, you can dig for any card. That was interesting.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 08, 2016, 12:12:55 pm »
+10

Bank + Storyteller

Bank counts all your treasures in play, and all your Storyteller treasures are still on the table, so they might as well be worth money. Plus you draw a lot more!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #532 on: May 08, 2016, 12:15:22 pm »
+7

Fortress has a positive interaction with trash-for-benefit. Who would have thought!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 08, 2016, 10:13:55 pm »
+2

Fortress has a positive interaction with trash-for-benefit. Who would have thought!

A neat and potentially useful card interaction that was not previously mentioned. Who would have thought!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 09, 2016, 01:40:45 am »
+1

A neat and potentially useful card interaction that was not previously mentioned. Who would have thought!

Upvoted, but I guess Awaclus's point is that you should generally assume Fortress has a neat and potentially useful card interaction with every trash for benefit card unless proven otherwise.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #535 on: May 09, 2016, 04:38:11 am »

Upvoted, but I guess Awaclus's point is that you should generally assume Fortress has a neat and potentially useful card interaction with every trash for benefit card unless proven otherwise.

Yeah. That's like saying Tunnel has a potentially useful card interaction with Dungeon. It's all but literally written on the card text of Fortress itself.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 09, 2016, 05:25:37 am »
+4

So, I thought of a combo. It requires 2 cards and an Event.

Bridge, Hermit, Alms.

Essentially you gain Madmen with Hermit and buy Bridges with Alms.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 10, 2016, 06:45:45 am »

Tunnel and Scouting Party is about as stupidly easy and good as the cards would imply. On 3/4 you can open Tunnel / double Scouting Party and end up with two golds before turn 3 more often than not. It's so stupid and kinda good. If you track your deck you probably only need 2 tunnel to generate like 8 Gold in just a few turns.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ponnuki

• Steward
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 10, 2016, 11:31:14 am »
+1

Bridge, Hermit, Alms.

I think the combo here is just Hermit + Alms. Bridge may make it stronger, but it's not in any way essential for this.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #539 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:21 am »

Bridge, Hermit, Alms.

I think the combo here is just Hermit + Alms. Bridge may make it stronger, but it's not in any way essential for this.

You need a $4 or lower megaturn payload though. Bridge and Market Square are the only ones that immediately come to my mind.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 10, 2016, 01:34:28 pm »
+1

Bridge, Hermit, Alms.

You need a $4 or lower megaturn payload though. Bridge and Market Square are the only ones that immediately come to my mind.

Coppersmith also (with +Buy, most obvious sources are probably Squire, Candlestick Maker, Seaway).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 11, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »

Ferry has an interesting 'offensive' interaction with Swindler/Saboteur. (There is also the interaction with Knight/Warrior/Giant type trashing to bring cards in or out of the range, but I'm specifically talking about the trash-and-replace cards.)  You can junk along different lines with Swindler (maybe going $2 -> Curse instead of $2->Estate).  Though more for certain price points.. sometimes there isn't good junk at $3, but maybe Poor House is in the kingdom and would be bad for your opponent's deck.  Or $4 ->Estate, or $6 -> Potion instead of Gold or something. 

With Saboteur, it effectively 'downgrades worse' to $4 less instead of $2 less.

Not sure if it's ever really worth it. 

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 11, 2016, 01:53:18 pm »
+2

Ferry has an interesting 'offensive' interaction with Swindler/Saboteur. (There is also the interaction with Knight/Warrior/Giant type trashing to bring cards in or out of the range, but I'm specifically talking about the trash-and-replace cards.)  You can junk along different lines with Swindler (maybe going $2 -> Curse instead of $2->Estate).  Though more for certain price points.. sometimes there isn't good junk at $3, but maybe Poor House is in the kingdom and would be bad for your opponent's deck.  Or $4 ->Estate, or $6 -> Potion instead of Gold or something. 

also with governor sorta: ferry on governor, whoops now whenever you do the remodel one adamh can turn his estate into governors
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 11, 2016, 02:10:59 pm »

also with governor sorta: ferry on governor, whoops now whenever you do the remodel one adamh can turn his estate into governors

Yeah, that's a slightly different flavor of interaction.  Note that Ferry only affects the cost during your turns, so you can't use if this way 'defensively' against opponent's Actions that care about cost.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 13, 2016, 06:45:54 pm »
+2

Royal carriage/Black Market

Throne room lets you play the bomb you picked up out of the black market twice. King's court lets you play it three times. But royal carriage can let you play the single knight you got from the black market deck up to 10 times per turn.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160513/log.0.1463179304694.txt
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 13, 2016, 07:00:27 pm »
+2

Throne room lets you play the bomb you picked up out of the black market twice.

Who are you, and why is the answer ErrinF?

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 13, 2016, 11:07:12 pm »
+2

Throne room lets you play the bomb you picked up out of the black market twice. King's court lets you play it three times. But royal carriage can let you play the single knight you got from the black market deck up to 10 times per turn.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160513/log.0.1463179304694.txt

11 times

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 14, 2016, 02:26:39 am »

Warrior can trash opponents' 5s and 6s if you ferried them first. Given the potential depth of Warrior's attack, it's pretty neat.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 17, 2016, 07:08:36 pm »
+12

Cultist + Lost Arts

It's well-established that Lost Arts is really good with terminal draw. However, it also turns Cultist into a village - if for example you start your turn by chaining 3 Cultists, you end up with 3 Actions, to play all your other terminal actions!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:09:57 pm by wachsmuth »

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 19, 2016, 06:02:19 am »
+5

Spy+Peasant.

Gain many spies.
Cycle your cards with spies a bit faster (little bonus).
Discard opponent travellers (great bonus).
If necessary, put teachers +card on spy.
Play a soldier after many spies that gives you tons of coins.

Guess that many players won't anticipate the latter ...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.