Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504346 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #500 on: April 21, 2016, 03:43:22 pm »
+4

Prince - Conspirator

Today I played a game with only terminals, starring Bridge and Prince. We both went for Princed Bridges (I got three, my opponent went for one). I then picked up Conspirators with spare buys, to ramp up in buying power.

The cool thing is that after you Prince two cards your Conspirators will always be active. ;D

Again, pretty marginal, but neat.  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:44:53 pm by Accatitippi »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #501 on: April 21, 2016, 05:25:45 pm »
+2

Inn - Counting House

When your discard pile is large and has a bunch of Coppers in it, use Inn to topdeck Counting Houses (but only if you're not going to shuffle).  Not incredibly useful, but pretty neat and can guarantee a Province or whatever.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160421/log.0.1461199694839.txt

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 21, 2016, 05:27:08 pm »
+2

Wandering Ministrel + counting house was something I did today.

Discard allt he coppers. Let counting house take care of them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 22, 2016, 10:50:43 am »
+2

Gear/Plan

Get rid of those pesky Estates while you pick up your three Gears.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 22, 2016, 10:51:53 am »

Gear/Plan

Is it actually worth taking a turn off from buying your Gears to get rid of your Estates?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2016, 10:55:07 am »

Gear/Plan

Is it actually worth taking a turn off from buying your Gears to get rid of your Estates?

Just played against a bot where doing that I got all the Colonies by turn 20.  That means it took at least 16 turns to get 4 Colonies, but there were a few turns between 4 and 8 where I got Platinum or another Gear (bot bought a Giant), so it was more like 12-14 turns.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2016, 11:04:14 am »
+1

Gear/Plan

Just played against a bot where doing that I got all the Colonies by turn 20.  That means it took at least 16 turns to get 4 Colonies, but there were a few turns between 4 and 8 where I got Platinum or another Gear (bot bought a Giant), so it was more like 12-14 turns.

I don't know about all that, but I just ran a simulation of standard Third Gear against Third Gear with Plan on Gear, and Gear/Plan won 57.5%. Good enough for me.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2016, 11:19:09 am »
+5

Plan is actually super fucking good any time you plan on buying 3 of anything cheap. I think it's the most underrated event right now.

Like opening Plan / Fishing Village I'm convinced is one of the top openings I've ever done, you get a 10 card deck where you either spike 5 or guarantee two 5s in a row shuffle 3 by buying two more Fishing Villages and clearing your Estates. I used this open to pivot toward 5 cost draw cards / attacks (Margrave) and then cleaned house. I love when a good Plan comes together.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Infthitbox

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2016, 11:26:08 am »
+1

Plan is actually super fucking good any time you plan on buying 3 of anything cheap. I think it's the most underrated event right now.

Like opening Plan / Fishing Village I'm convinced is one of the top openings I've ever done, you get a 10 card deck where you either spike 5 or guarantee two 5s in a row shuffle 3 by buying two more Fishing Villages and clearing your Estates. I used this open to pivot toward 5 cost draw cards / attacks (Margrave) and then cleaned house. I love when a good Plan comes together.

You don't even need 3 I don't think. At least in the case of Gear, I ran sims for buying [1, 2, 3] Gear against buying that same number of Gear having first bought Plan. Even when you only bought 2 Gear, Planning on Gear outperformed not doing so. In the case of just one Gear, opening Gear/Silver vs. Plan/Gear ended up being slightly favored towards not Planning. Its hard to generalize this towards other cards, but I'm not convinced that 3 is the magic number.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 25, 2016, 12:48:15 pm »
+3

Baker / Trading Post

Baker lets you open with 5 coin to buy trading post. Trading post quickly turns a deck into 7 copper and 3 estates into a deck of 5 silver, to which you can add 3-4 bakers and then start getting a province per turn very consistently. In the log below, with a little extra help from scheme & ironmonger, I get 6 provinces in 14 turns despite a golden sombrero opening.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160425/log.0.1461600874046.txt
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 25, 2016, 01:14:47 pm »
+3

Haven/Saboteur

For those rare boards where you can play Saboteur enough to be destructive, Haven offers an interesting defence. Use it to hide away any Provinces or Duchies you pick up so your opponent's Saboteurs can never find them.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #511 on: May 02, 2016, 06:40:45 pm »
+2

Ill-Gotten Gains/Borrow. That extra $1 is often very much worth it in these games, as hitting a sad $4 is quite common.

Thank you, I'm here all night.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 02, 2016, 06:46:32 pm »
+7

Bandit Camp / Alms

Produce all your $ with spoils, then buy an alms anyway with a spare buy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 02, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »
+1

Bandit Camp / Alms

Produce all your $ with spoils, then buy an alms anyway with a spare buy.

Similar interaction with Coin token cards.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 02, 2016, 10:38:17 pm »
+4

Coin of the Realm/Tribute or Golem

This feels pretty obvious, but cards where it's uncertain whether you end up with Actions after having played them love Coin of the Realm. Tribute is suddenly a lot better when playing it is guaranteed to not end your turn prematurely.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2016, 11:12:17 pm »
+2

Wharf/Outpost is bonkers if you have enough +Action, maybe some trashing.  Especially if you win the Wharf split.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2016, 12:08:08 am »
+1

Wharf/Outpost is bonkers if you have enough +Action, maybe some trashing.  Especially if you win the Wharf split.

It's not so much Wharf/Outpost as it is [any reliable engine]/Outpost.  It's generally a weak or mediocre card, but with the right deck a single Outpost can literally double your deck output.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 05, 2016, 12:43:53 am »

It's not so much Wharf/Outpost as it is [any reliable engine]/Outpost.  It's generally a weak or mediocre card, but with the right deck a single Outpost can literally double your deck output.

I think Wharf works especially well with it because you can play your Wharves before you play Outpost, rather than hoping to draw your starting pieces in your 3 card hand.

Triumph44

• Salvager
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2016, 12:51:43 am »

I had fun with Haunted Woods/Outpost today - you get a 6 card Outpost turn right away (though you do lose the Attack effect)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 05, 2016, 01:04:37 am »
+1

I think Wharf works especially well with it because you can play your Wharves before you play Outpost, rather than hoping to draw your starting pieces in your 3 card hand.

That's why I specified reliable.  Wharf alone doesn't work well because (as you pointed out) you need a lot of village support.  You could also do something with Scheme (especially with stuff like KC or SP).  But again, these are just examples of the general "reliable engine".

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 05, 2016, 11:39:51 am »

That's why I specified reliable.  Wharf alone doesn't work well because (as you pointed out) you need a lot of village support.  You could also do something with Scheme (especially with stuff like KC or SP).  But again, these are just examples of the general "reliable engine".

And there are many other ways to guarantee a starting hand that allows you to kick off - Alchemist, Caravan, Hireling, Haven, Save, Dungeon, Gear, Prince and Expedition come to mind, and there are more obscure, difficult ways to do it such as involving Scavenger.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #521 on: May 05, 2016, 11:58:26 am »
+1

And there are many other ways to guarantee a starting hand that allows you to kick off - Alchemist, Caravan, Hireling, Haven, Save, Dungeon, Gear, Prince and Expedition come to mind, and there are more obscure, difficult ways to do it such as involving Scavenger.

You don't even need to guarantee it, Outpost is good as long as it's reasonably likely. If you can expect to get one good turn out of Outpost, it's already better than greening earlier in a lot of cases.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 06, 2016, 02:12:39 pm »
+1

I don't always seed my outpost turns, but when I do, I discard two scrying pools with horse traders, then play navigator to leave them on my deck.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 07, 2016, 01:13:24 pm »
+2

Herald + Jack of All Trades

I often overlook Herald's top-decking ability and focus on its play.  This isn't particularly specific to Jack, but it can be helpful late game if you hit that $5,6,7 hand and you have Golds in the discard. In a Jack BM strategy you don't have a lot of buying targets with those hands.  You'd normally do Gold or Duchy, but overpaying Herald can let you guarantee a Province next turn.  One that you buy in the mid-game may turn out to be useful as well, though its probably as likely to be drawn Dead with Jack than to play a Jack when you draw it. 

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 07, 2016, 01:51:15 pm »
+1

Herald + Jack of All Trades

I often overlook Herald's top-decking ability and focus on its play.  This isn't particularly specific to Jack, but it can be helpful late game if you hit that $5,6,7 hand and you have Golds in the discard. In a Jack BM strategy you don't have a lot of buying targets with those hands.  You'd normally do Gold or Duchy, but overpaying Herald can let you guarantee a Province next turn.  One that you buy in the mid-game may turn out to be useful as well, though its probably as likely to be drawn Dead with Jack than to play a Jack when you draw it.

This is overall not worth it, if not detrimental. Adding tons of Silver to your deck is just going to hurt Herald. The only way this is conceivable is if you're using Jack's Silver gaining ability to get some sort of payload, trashing the Silver.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.