Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504382 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #450 on: January 31, 2016, 03:31:29 pm »
+8

I don't agree at all that butcher is better for this. Besides the fact that Transmogrify is non-terminal, you also just need one Province in hand to mill it several times.

LF's reply was to your assertion that Transmogrify-Peddler is "better than any other trash for benefit peddler.".  They're saying that Butcher is a better TfB with Peddler in general, not necessarily that it's better if your goal is purely to mill Provinces.
I now renounce my claim that transmogrify  is a better tfb with peddler. I forgot about butcher. I think they are close

I played an Adventures/Intrigue Kingdom today and found that transmogrify is a great Conspirator enabler as it is chainable when put on the Tavern mat, can get you Conspirator in hand when you have the action, or change your unsupported Conspirator for something better. (I swapped a dead Conspirator for a Storyteller, spent my hand, drew six new cards which formed a new Conspirator chain.) 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:36:06 pm by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 01, 2016, 01:29:49 pm »
+9

I've mentioned this before, but there's Magpie and Stash. When Magpie causes a shuffle, guarantee that the reveal will hit a Treasure.

Catacombs is really funny with the -1 card token. Because of the wording of the card, if you choose the first three cards, you get them all. If you choose the next three cards, you only get two of them.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 01, 2016, 08:24:44 pm »

I've mentioned this before, but there's Magpie and Stash. When Magpie causes a shuffle, guarantee that the reveal will hit a Treasure.

Catacombs is really funny with the -1 card token. Because of the wording of the card, if you choose the first three cards, you get them all. If you choose the next three cards, you only get two of them.

I'd say that magpie being a powerful engine enabler probably decreases the odds that you are looking at a kingdom where you actually want a stash.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 01, 2016, 11:38:10 pm »

king's court * 2 + transmute * 3 ft. pathfinding

W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2016, 12:05:22 am »
+1

Quarry + apprentice
Buy cards for cheap apprentice them at full price.

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 02, 2016, 01:23:14 pm »
+1

I'd say that magpie being a powerful engine enabler probably decreases the odds that you are looking at a kingdom where you actually want a stash.

Maybe? Magpie kinda presents itself as one of those half-engine cards. Like Stables. Well, okay maybe the combo should be Stables and Stash. If you're greening or have bought too many Stables, guarantee that a hand's not a dud. Of course, if Stables is that important, you'll only want to go for Stash after you've won the split.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 02, 2016, 02:36:11 pm »
+3

Combo: Tactician + Mission (or Outpost?) (+ saver)

I did some searching and couldn't find this combo anywhere, so I present it here for consideration.

The issue with double-tac is that you have to accumulate virtual coin. This combo allows you to basically play double-tac with regular ol' treasure. Tactician already gives you a +buy, so after very little treasure upgrading, each buy phase is: Colony/Province, mission. On your mission turn, all you're doing is drawing your other Tactician and playing it, setting up a ten-card hand every "real" turn.

It works especially well with ways to guarantee the Tactician on the Mission turn (Haven, Gear, Save.) This can turn the deck into a 100% shuffle-luck-proof auto-buy machine.

Comments? Should the wiki article list Mission/Outpost as synergistic cards with Tactician since it gives you something extremely worthwhile to do on an otherwise suboptimal nerfed "extra turn?" Or does the combo rely too heavily on a saver or shuffle luck (or perhaps a stacker like Cartographer, or a sifter like workshop when your discard pile is empty and your other Tactician is already in your hand? Other ways to ensure a Tactician on the nerfed turn?) Or are Mission/Outpost more abusable than I'm imagining? Maybe it only works on non-engine boards?

This came up in a game and I had it absolutely in the bag, except that I lost count and trashed one too many coppers, leaving me with 14 coin each turn reliably. Oh, wait. Colony + Mission is 15. Can I go back two turns and get that copper back? Lost by one Colony when I had to use a buy to set back up. D'oh! To quote David St. Hubbins, "It's a fine line between clever and stupid."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 02, 2016, 03:16:00 pm »
+1

Hmm.  The trick with Double Tactician is consistently playing Tactician every turn.  Usually this means that you need two Tacticians, actions that produce coins, and strong trashing/sifting/draw to maintain consistency as you go.

Mission lets you skip the second Tactician (you can replay the single one on the Mission turn) and also lets you skip coin-producing actions (you don't need to discard them on your Tactician turn).

The negatives are that you need to consistently produce more coins (to afford Mission each turn) and that you can't take advantage of Tactician's +Buy each turn to get either more VP or more components to maintain consistency.  Consistency is thus tougher to maintain overall.

It could see it working out.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 03, 2016, 04:14:48 pm »
+5

With Trader in hand and Stonemason in the supply, you can pay $4 for three Silvers.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 03, 2016, 04:17:18 pm »
+2

With Trader in hand and Stonemason in the supply, you can pay $4 for three Silvers.
With one +buy card in play and Trader in hand, you can buy a Silver for $0.
With two +buy cards in play and a Trader in hand, you can buy two Silvers for $0
With three +buy cards in play...
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 03, 2016, 04:22:39 pm »
+4

With Watchtower in hand and Feodum in the supply, you can pay $4 for three Silvers. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 03, 2016, 04:29:19 pm »

With Watchtower in hand and Feodum in the supply, you can pay $4 for three Silvers.

And topdeck any number of them, which is something you may sometimes want to do.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 03, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »
+1

Graverobber + Catacombs

With any $4 or less village support, Graverob Catacombs into province and village, then use another Graverobber to topdeck catacombs.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 03, 2016, 09:14:07 pm »

And topdeck any number of them, which is something you may sometimes want to do.

With Trader in hand and Feodum also in your hand, you can have paid $4 for 7 silvers.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #464 on: February 04, 2016, 11:52:59 am »
+2

With Trader in hand and Feodum also in your hand, you can have paid $4 for 7 silvers.

With Trader and Peddler in hand, you can have paid $0 for 8 Silvers  :P

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:19 am »

I think that's not true, right?

Nevermind, reading comprehension. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 04, 2016, 11:57:27 am »
+1

Though with Trader and anything in hand, you can have paid $0 for some number of Silvers. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 04, 2016, 11:59:37 am »

I think that's not true, right?

Nevermind, reading comprehension.

It's arguably not true by Dominion rules, in which paying for something also means spending a Buy.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 07, 2016, 12:21:14 am »
+4

Transmogrify + Rats

Trash your starting cards (and curses/ruins) with Rats, and turn Rats into 5-cost cards with Transmogrify.

I just played a game with this recently.  It's a lot like Upgrade + Rats, but without the pile-emptying degenerate strategies.  Transmogrify is a little slower to play, but it puts the 5-cost card right into your 6-card hand.  It's especially strong with situational 5-cost cards.  This strategy can be a little dangerous with other sources of card draw; you need the Rats to be in your starting hand to trash them.  I believe this is one of the most powerful Rat synergies.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 07, 2016, 04:20:28 am »

Sage + anything that requires you put cards from your hand on top of your deck, e.g. Courtyard, Secret Chamber's reaction, opponent's Ghost Ship attack, etc.

Put cards costing <3 on top of your deck and Sage will sail past them.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 07, 2016, 12:26:00 pm »
+4

Transmogrify + Rats

Trash your starting cards (and curses/ruins) with Rats, and turn Rats into 5-cost cards with Transmogrify.

I just played a game with this recently.  It's a lot like Upgrade + Rats, but without the pile-emptying degenerate strategies.  Transmogrify is a little slower to play, but it puts the 5-cost card right into your 6-card hand.  It's especially strong with situational 5-cost cards.  This strategy can be a little dangerous with other sources of card draw; you need the Rats to be in your starting hand to trash them.  I believe this is one of the most powerful Rat synergies.

Another benefit is that unlike Upgrade, you can Transmogrify into $4 cost cards (including more Transmogrify!)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 07, 2016, 11:58:04 pm »
+1

Goons + doctor
Play a bunch of goons buy a bunch of copper doctor trash it. This requires you too draw your deck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 08, 2016, 12:07:06 am »

Transmogrify + Graverobber

Use Transmogrify, but get your stuff back

I think T-mog is hurt the most from the whole "trash this, get something else" thing because the intent is to swap a potentially useful card in your hand for a potentially more useful card, as opposed to junk for something better, or a no-longer-needed action/treasure into a victory card.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 08, 2016, 10:09:36 am »

Goons + doctor
Play a bunch of goons buy a bunch of copper doctor trash it. This requires you too draw your deck.

To clarify you mean Doctor overpay? So it requires you have $3 plus the number of Copper you buy in hand, but your deck state is left as is? That's pretty cool and doable I think.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 08, 2016, 10:22:34 am »

Goons + doctor

To clarify you mean Doctor overpay? So it requires you have $3 plus the number of Copper you buy in hand, but your deck state is left as is? That's pretty cool and doable I think.

Well, you have that extra Doctor - but that's better than loads of Coppers.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 21 queries.