Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504455 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #425 on: January 20, 2016, 02:36:14 pm »
+1

Not sure if this has been posted but transmogrify peddler is super good; better than any other trash for benefit peddler.

I don't think this is the case. I mean sure you're sometimes going to Transmogrify Peddlers into Provinces, but I think Butcher is trivially a better combo with Peddler.

Transmogrify is super good at milling provinces.

That's certainly true.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #426 on: January 20, 2016, 02:47:04 pm »

Not sure if this has been posted but transmogrify peddler is super good; better than any other trash for benefit peddler.

I don't think this is the case. I mean sure you're sometimes going to Transmogrify Peddlers into Provinces, but I think Butcher is trivially a better combo with Peddler.

I agree.  Transmogrify would certainly have benefits over Butcher in certain situations -- it costs less, it's non terminal, and you get to put the Platinum into your hand -- but I think Butcher is MUCH more powerful.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 20, 2016, 03:54:24 pm »
+1

I don't agree at all that butcher is better for this. Besides the fact that Transmogrify is non-terminal, you also just need one Province in hand to mill it several times.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #428 on: January 20, 2016, 04:34:20 pm »
+1

I don't agree at all that butcher is better for this. Besides the fact that Transmogrify is non-terminal, you also just need one Province in hand to mill it several times.

Transmogrify benefits:
  • costs less
  • non-terminal
  • gained card goes in hand (as a consequence, you could mill Provinces if you had multiple Transmogrifies)
  • can be called whenever
Butcher benefits:
  • coin tokens
  • can gain higher cost cards
  • can be directly played instead of called
  • can Throne/KC/Procession it
I'm sure there are things I'm missing.  Point I'm trying to make though is that each of these cards has their own pros and cons depending on the situation.  I still think Butcher is "better" (that is, it is more useful in more situations), but of course that could be debated.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 20, 2016, 04:36:53 pm »

Also you don't need to collide the province and your butcher. Transmogrify can just sit on your tavern mat waiting for the perfect time to end the game.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 20, 2016, 04:38:16 pm »
+7

Transmogrify only works at the start of your turn. It has considerably less search space for pairing it up with the card you want than, for instance, a Butcher played in an engine deck.

Transmogrify can also only be used every other turn.

Which isn't to say that Transmogrify can't do some of the things being suggested.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:40:21 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 20, 2016, 05:28:27 pm »
+1

LF's reply was to your Limetime's assertion that Transmogrify-Peddler is "better than any other trash for benefit peddler.".  They're saying that Butcher is a better TfB with Peddler in general, not necessarily that it's better if your goal is purely to mill Provinces.

Edit: attribution!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:16:46 pm by eHalcyon »

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 20, 2016, 05:56:53 pm »

LF's reply was to your assertion that Transmogrify-Peddler is "better than any other trash for benefit peddler.".  They're saying that Butcher is a better TfB with Peddler in general, not necessarily that it's better if your goal is purely to mill Provinces.
I now renounce my claim that transmogrify  is a better tfb with peddler. I forgot about butcher. I think they are close

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 20, 2016, 11:44:47 pm »
+3

Another one that beat me in a recent game.
Cutpurse counters stables. Esp in multiples.
Original hand:
Stables*2, copper*2, estate

Opponent plays Cutpurse *2
Nooooo....

Runegentleman

• Pawn
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 23, 2016, 03:55:50 pm »
+10

First post on the forum, hee hee.

Just now played a game where this came up and thought it was neat enough to let people know.
With Hermit and Squire in play, you can pretty much gain one expensive attack card of your choice every shuffle by trashing the Squire from your hand or from your discard pile, then gaining another Squire. Not exactly sure what the odds are of this happening, but they aren't bad. Best of all, when you're done gaining, you can turn the Hermit right into a Madman.

Of course, the combo is moot without strong attack cards or with a few strong $3s and $4s, but on those expensive boards where it feels like you're stuck at silver forever, it's a handy way to jumpstart an engine. Shame it only applies on specific boards.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 24, 2016, 09:38:11 am »
+7

Farming village/courtyard in a draw engine deck where you can't trash estates.

You play some village, then you play courtyard and put back an estate, then you play farming village. It mitigates the fact that Courtyard made you put a card back on your deck and helps you get through your deck a little faster in a weak engine.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 26, 2016, 06:02:11 pm »

Haven + Treasure Map

Haven might be the best Treasure Map enabler.  A Haven or two makes it very likely that you can match up your two Treasure Maps, but the synergy doesn't end there.  Haven also helps you smooth out your four Gold economy - especially in a single-buy kingdom.

I recently lost to an opponent that demonstrated the power of this synergy.  To be sure, there wasn't a whole lot going on in the kingdom otherwise*, so it was the ideal situation for Treasure Map.
* I tried for a thin single-Tactician deck to buy a Province and play Ambassador every 2-3 turns.  Our other opponent did not get an Ambassador and tried to spike Provinces occasionally with Warehouse + terminal Library.  It was a Shelters game, so Ambassador wasn't too dominant.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 26, 2016, 06:17:37 pm »
+2

I played Haven/Treasure Map once. The turn my Treasure Maps collided was the turn I got possessed. I resigned. Then cried.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 26, 2016, 07:00:43 pm »
+1

Haven + Treasure Map

Haven might be the best Treasure Map enabler.  A Haven or two makes it very likely that you can match up your two Treasure Maps, but the synergy doesn't end there.  Haven also helps you smooth out your four Gold economy - especially in a single-buy kingdom.

I recently lost to an opponent that demonstrated the power of this synergy.  To be sure, there wasn't a whole lot going on in the kingdom otherwise*, so it was the ideal situation for Treasure Map.
* I tried for a thin single-Tactician deck to buy a Province and play Ambassador every 2-3 turns.  Our other opponent did not get an Ambassador and tried to spike Provinces occasionally with Warehouse + terminal Library.  It was a Shelters game, so Ambassador wasn't too dominant.

I think I vastly prefer Warehouse-Treasure Map.  I wouldn't mind seeing some math, but my intuition is that Warehouse makes it much easier to align Treasure Maps.  Even if it misses, Warehouse speeds you along to the next shuffle to try again.  The sifting also helps you find and play your Gold more often.

I played Haven/Treasure Map once. The turn my Treasure Maps collided was the turn I got possessed. I resigned. Then cried.

If the other player already had Possession by that time, you were already in trouble.  :-\

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #439 on: January 26, 2016, 07:25:45 pm »

Haven + Treasure Map

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12757.msg500808#msg500808

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 26, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »
+2

Clearly, you should have gotten Scout. Scout is a great defense against Possession. If your opponent possessed a hand of Scouts, what can they do besides improve your next hand? ;)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 26, 2016, 08:54:04 pm »

Clearly, you should have gotten Scout. Scout is a great defense against Possession. If your opponent possessed a hand of Scouts, what can they do besides improve your next hand? ;)
Draw your alt-vp :(

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #442 on: January 26, 2016, 10:56:25 pm »

By that you obviously mean Nobles, right?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 26, 2016, 11:01:09 pm »

I don't get it :(

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #444 on: January 26, 2016, 11:18:32 pm »

Only Alt-VP I could see buying while still trying to collide maps.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #445 on: January 27, 2016, 01:25:42 pm »
+2

Only Alt-VP I could see buying while still trying to collide maps.

Great Hall? Maybe Island, too.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 27, 2016, 04:22:26 pm »

They could also draw your Distant Lands and not put them on the Reserve Mat, thus making them stay in your deck for another shuffle.

Island is a terrible buy in a Possession game, since your opponent could Island away your own Possessions.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 31, 2016, 01:41:24 am »
+1

Inheritance+Bridge Troll:

Have a Bridge Troll in Play.
Inherit Bridge Troll.
Get multiple Pseudo-Bridge Trolls (estates) at no cost.

In an enginey context (Draw, +actions), it explodes.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 31, 2016, 09:11:24 am »
+1

Inherit Bridge Troll.

The problem is that bridge troll doesn't help you hit 7.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 31, 2016, 12:38:52 pm »

Inherit Bridge Troll.

The problem is that bridge troll doesn't help you hit 7.

That isn't really a big problem though. You only need 1, you have 2 turns to hit 7, and you're likely in the process of building a big engine if you're trying this strategy, so you should be able to draw part of your deck and hit $7 somewhat quickly.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.