Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504389 times)

managore

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #350 on: November 25, 2015, 03:19:07 am »

Secret Chamber/Moat

Reveal SC, draw Moat into hand.
Reveal Moat to be protected from Attack.
Reveal SC again to put Moat back on top of deck.
If you know your opponent isn't going to play any more Attacks, put SC on top as well.

I would say that is neat, but it it must be compared to opportunity cost.  Moat and SC are both generally bad $2 cards, and attack cards that are worth buying are (obviously I'm generalizing here) usually good cads.  So getting the Moat and SC in the first place (much less having enough of each of them to reliably connect in the manner you describe) should be compared to having other better cards instead.

An unlikely but neat case is when your opponent is consistently playing one attack card and you're not drawing any cards. You can continuously nullify the attack and topdeck both cards for next turn.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 27, 2015, 10:26:01 am »
+5

Poor house/hamlet
Open hamlet/hamlet
Get one poorhouse second shuffle, also get more hamlets
Buy 1-3 moor poorhouses third shuffle also get more hamlets
Play hamlets to  discards treasures play two poorhouses buy province

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 27, 2015, 12:01:18 pm »

transmogrify / guide use the transmorgify at the start of your turn to trash and then call guide to draw a new hand of five cards. works best with multiple transmogrifies on your tavern mat.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 27, 2015, 12:05:38 pm »
+2

transmogrify / guide use the transmorgify at the start of your turn to trash and then call guide to draw a new hand of five cards. works best with multiple transmogrifies on your tavern mat.

I think you mean Ratcatcher/Guide.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 27, 2015, 12:11:38 pm »

I think you mean Ratcatcher/Guide.
Unless you're gaining Tunnels with Transmogrify, but that's a three-card interaction.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 27, 2015, 12:20:33 pm »
+2

The whole point of Transmogrify is that you get to use what you upgrade into right away. You can't trash and gain nothing with Transmogrify (excluding the edge case of an empty Copper and Curse pile).
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 27, 2015, 04:31:56 pm »
+3

The whole point of Transmogrify is that you get to use what you upgrade into right away. You can't trash and gain nothing with Transmogrify (excluding the edge case of an empty Copper and Curse pile).

Well we played that card completely wrong last night  :-[. I'm going to pretend that we used ratcatcher in my memories instead...

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 27, 2015, 05:03:44 pm »

Ratcatcher(Transmogrify)/market square

Wait until you have market square in hand
Call Ratcatcher(Transmogrify) for free gold

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 28, 2015, 01:57:20 am »

My keyboard finger is itching to post some of Scout's overlooked neat and potentially useful card interactions.

I'll post later tonight or tomorrow morning unless people strongly advise me against this.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #359 on: November 28, 2015, 04:23:53 am »
+7

My keyboard finger is itching to post some of Scout's overlooked neat and potentially useful card interactions.

I'll post later tonight or tomorrow morning unless people strongly advise me against this.

I believe this thread is intended for card interactions that can actually be useful in practice.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 28, 2015, 06:52:49 am »
+8

Watchtower/Messenger/Scout
Allows you to buy a Messenger and give each opponent a Scout. It's a three-card-interaction, but sooooooo nasty.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 28, 2015, 09:42:47 am »
+4

Watchtower/Messenger/Scout
Allows you to buy a Messenger and give each opponent a Scout. It's a three-card-interaction, but sooooooo nasty.

You'd think Curse would be better for this, but Curse can at least be drawn by Vagrant!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #362 on: November 28, 2015, 09:54:11 am »

You'd think Curse would be better for this, but Curse can at least be drawn by Vagrant!

And discarded for Mountebank, skipped by Sage and Golem, and trashed for less benefit.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 28, 2015, 10:02:31 am »
+1

Also, it's much more likely that the Curse pile is empty than that the Scout pile is.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 28, 2015, 12:10:53 pm »
+10

Madman + Expedition
Increase your starting handsize so that your Madman draws more cards.  Plus, because Expedition isn't a card, you can buy it and get a Madman on the same turn.

I was thinking about what the best supporting card was for the Hermit + Market Square combo.  I realized that, by buying Expedition on the turn before the megaturn, one only needs to play two Madmen to fully draw a deck of 24 cards (instead of the usual three).  This saves about two turns in the best case scenario.  Best-case solitaire log:

Code: [Select]
1: CCCEE - Buy Hermit
2: CCCCE - Buy Hermit
3: _HCCCE - Trash Estate, Gain Hermit, Buy Market Square
4: HCCCE - Gain Market Square, Buy Market Square
5: EC_HCC - Gain Hermit, Buy Market Square
6: SSHCCCC - Gain Market Square, Buy Expedition, Gain Madman
7: SHE_MCCCE - Gain Market Square, Gain Madman
8: SSSHC - Gain Hermit, Gain Madman
9: SHCCC - Gain Hermit, Buy Expedition, Gain Madman
10: _MMMMHHS - Megaturn with 6x Market Square (45 coins)

Madman + Mission is also worth mentioning.  You can gain a Madman on the turn you buy mission and the mission turn itself.  In practice, it's unlikely to get 4 coins every other turn in a Hermit + Market Square combo.  It is theoretically possible to reach the megaturn on turn 9, though.

Code: [Select]
1: CCCEE - Buy Hermit
2: CCCCE - Buy Hermit
3: _HCCCE - Trash Estate, Gain Hermit, Buy Market Square
4: HCCCE - Gain Market Square, Buy Market Square
5: EC_HCC - Gain Hermit, Buy Market Square
6: SHCCCC - Gain Hermit, Buy Mission, Gain Madman
*: SSHEE_H - Gain Hermit, Gain Madman
7: SSHCCCC - Gain Market Square, Buy Mission, Gain Madman
*: MHCCC - Gain Market Square, Gain Madman
8: _SSHCCCC - Gain Hermit, Buy Mission, Gain Madman
*: SSHEECC - Gain Hermit, Gain Madman
9: MMMSC - Megaturn with 6x Market Square (48 coins)

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 28, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »
+1

My IRL game last night had an interesting combo come up. The event cards were Ball and Travelling Fair.
http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/?set=Adventures if you are not familiar with the events.
Treasure map was also on the board. I discovered that with my first turn with 7 money, I buy Ball (so that I can put gained cards on top of my deck) then Travelling Fair, gaining two treasure maps. Guaranteed treasure map action! The other guys in my group also made that move as soon as they had 7 money too so it didn't give me the distinct advantage, but it was a fun combo to find.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 28, 2015, 10:17:26 pm »

menagerie/poor house
both of these want you to play your cards in a kinda weird order and generally avoid treasures, and you can juggle both of these with sorta the same amount of brainpower combined as each individually. pretty good deal
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 29, 2015, 08:40:37 am »

My IRL game last night had an interesting combo come up. The event cards were Ball and Travelling Fair.
http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/?set=Adventures if you are not familiar with the events.
Treasure map was also on the board. I discovered that with my first turn with 7 money, I buy Ball (so that I can put gained cards on top of my deck) then Travelling Fair, gaining two treasure maps. Guaranteed treasure map action! The other guys in my group also made that move as soon as they had 7 money too so it didn't give me the distinct advantage, but it was a fun combo to find.
It also works with royal seal and watchtower.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 29, 2015, 10:37:09 am »
+2

But then you need another source of +buy. Travelling fair is great because it provides both +buy and topdecking.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 29, 2015, 04:59:22 pm »
+15

Walled Village / Wine Merchant

Played a game over the weekend in meatspace where I had 2 Walled Villages and several Wine Merchants. Every turn, I would play both Walled Villages, play 2-3 Wine Merchants, and then since Wine Merchant goes on the Tavern mat and then (usually in this game) straight back to the discard pile, I was able to top both Walled Villages every turn and keep playing all my Wine Merchants when they arrived.

Was pretty good in a kingdom with not a whole lot else going on.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 30, 2015, 08:13:59 am »
+4

This isn't even subtle or remotely not-obvious, but have you ever played with Pathfinding + Magpie? It's crazy. Magpie becomes a Lab that either draws 3 cards, or draws you 2 cards and gives you another super-Laboratory for free. Magpie has great synergy with any of the counter Events, but Pathfinding is especially potent.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

aku_chi

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 30, 2015, 09:26:34 am »
+8

Border Village + Butcher

Buy Border Village, Gain Butcher.  Use Butcher to trash Border Village, Gain another Border Village, another 5-cost card, and 2 coin tokens!  Later in the game, use Butcher to turn the Border Villages and 5-cost cards into Provinces and Duchies.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 30, 2015, 10:37:08 am »

But then you need another source of +buy. Travelling fair is great because it provides both +buy and topdecking.
Ball serves as Psuedo + buy
Sorry I didn't realise you were still referring to ball. -.-'

aku_chi

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 30, 2015, 05:53:41 pm »
+21

These are both speculative, but they seem promising.

Cultist + Save

A Cultist chain is a great way to draw a bunch of other action cards you can't play!  Normally, to play other action cards after Cultist, you need to lead with a village.  But it takes a lot of villages to reliably open with a village.  It's really sad to open with no village, play a bunch of Cultists and draw a village (and other action cards).  Well, with Save and a couple villages, you only need to experience this sadness once; simply save the unplayed village for your next turn!  Rinse and repeat for a decent engine fueled off of Cultist's draw.

Cultist + Coin of the Realm

Or, even better, grab a couple Coins of the Realm.  Because they're treasures, you can play them after a Cultist chain.  On the next turn, you can play your Cultist chain and call Coin of the Realm if you have any other actions you want to play.  Play your second Coin of the Realm and you're in a great position!

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2015, 07:27:53 pm »

These are both speculative, but they seem promising.

Cultist + Save

A Cultist chain is a great way to draw a bunch of other action cards you can't play!  Normally, to play other action cards after Cultist, you need to lead with a village.  But it takes a lot of villages to reliably open with a village.  It's really sad to open with no village, play a bunch of Cultists and draw a village (and other action cards).  Well, with Save and a couple villages, you only need to experience this sadness once; simply save the unplayed village for your next turn!  Rinse and repeat for a decent engine fueled off of Cultist's draw.

Cultist + Coin of the Realm

Or, even better, grab a couple Coins of the Realm.  Because they're treasures, you can play them after a Cultist chain.  On the next turn, you can play your Cultist chain and call Coin of the Realm if you have any other actions you want to play.  Play your second Coin of the Realm and you're in a great position!

Haven, Fishing Village, Scheme, Courtyard, Mandarin, and Gear can all do this too.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.