Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504420 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2015, 03:34:06 pm »

Counterfeit/Spoils: You're quite happy trashing the Spoils since you'd be losing it anyway.

Actually, Counterfeit trashes the Treasure after you've played it twice, and by then, Spoils has already returned itself to its pile and Counterfeit has lost track of it and it can no longer be trashed.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2015, 03:37:57 pm »

Counterfeit/Spoils: You're quite happy trashing the Spoils since you'd be losing it anyway.

Actually, Counterfeit trashes the Treasure after you've played it twice, and by then, Spoils has already returned itself to its pile and Counterfeit has lost track of it and it can no longer be trashed.

Yeah, that's what he said: You're quite happy losing the Spoils since you'd be trashing it anyway. ;)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2015, 05:24:37 pm »
+1

Ah right. Even better; you don't have to worry about the pile running out.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2015, 07:48:08 am »

Mint - Platinum?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2015, 01:11:08 pm »
+1

Mint - Platinum?
Mint-Fool's Gold and Mint-Venture are probably more what the OP was looking for. Those treasure cards actually improve if you proliferate copies of them in your deck.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2015, 03:21:14 pm »

Mint - Platinum?
Mint-Fool's Gold and Mint-Venture are probably more what the OP was looking for. Those treasure cards actually improve if you proliferate copies of them in your deck.
And on a Platinum board those could get you to $9 quickly
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2015, 04:34:43 pm »
+2

On the flip side, Mine + cost reducer can get those Coppers into Platina or other fun treasures in no time flat.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2015, 02:20:57 pm »
+2

King's Court - Scheme
Lets you put the KC, Scheme, and another action back on top every turn.

Similar can be said about Thrown Room - Scheme, but doesn't let you put a third action back.

These are especially useful when there are no villages in the kingdom but you want to play multiple terminals.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2015, 08:26:17 am »
+1

These are especially useful when there are no villages in the kingdom but you want to play multiple terminals.

...like Counting House Storeroom engine :)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2015, 11:22:53 am »
+2

I think Cultist and Scheme have an interesting relationship. By "interesting" I'm talking the same type of interesting as Minion and Tunnel -- I often say that if these two cards' relationship was on facebook, it would be listed as "It's Complicated".

Scheme enables engines on Cultist boards where they otherwise might not be strong enough. Usually on Cultist boards the junking is too much, too fast, and you just end up playing Cultist+BM and being sad, but with Scheme you can top-deck Villages or other goodies and have an engine that's reliable enough to compete sometimes. Building that engine is very difficult, though.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2015, 11:24:10 am »

I think Cultist and Scheme have an interesting relationship. By "interesting" I'm talking the same type of interesting as Minion and Tunnel -- I often say that if these two cards' relationship was on facebook, it would be listed as "It's Complicated".

Scheme enables engines on Cultist boards where they otherwise might not be strong enough. Usually on Cultist boards the junking is too much, too fast, and you just end up playing Cultist+BM and being sad, but with Scheme you can top-deck Villages or other goodies and have an engine that's reliable enough to compete sometimes. Building that engine is very difficult, though.

If you can Scheme two Cultists a turn, you're going to wreck. Sadly, you can draw Schemes dead, but if you have an extra village to burn every turn, that won't be an issue. And scheme can help with that.

I think even buying a single scheme on an off turn where you can't afford Cultist *might* be better than your second or third silver.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:25:22 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2015, 04:20:57 pm »
+2

Haven - Baron
Haven - Treasure Map

Haven - Anything that is bad by itself but good if you have a certain other card to pair it with

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2015, 05:25:25 pm »

Haven - 2nd Terminal
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »
+1

Pathfinding + Magpie

Turns them into either an activated Menagerie or a Lab that gains you another Lab.
removed by user

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2015, 04:58:39 pm »

Plan+Caravan
Increase and improve draw in one fell swoop.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 27, 2015, 02:54:13 pm »

Cultist/Trade Route for the end game.

At the end game it is likely that the Ruins would have run out and some victory cards would have been bought. Cultists can no longer attack, so you can trash them with Trade Route to draw 3 cards, get a plus buy and some money.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2015, 06:17:49 pm »

Treasure Trove and Spice Merchant/Moneylender/Stables

You'll never run out of fuel for money trashing for benefit. Ever.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2015, 10:36:16 pm »

2x(KC+Scavenger+Gold/Silver) gets a province every turn, and 2x(KC+Scavenger+Platinum) gets a colony every turn, both extremely consistently.

Also Storyteller+Miser makes for a ridiculous amount of draw.
removed by user

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2015, 10:37:23 pm »
+9

I just had a good come-from-behind with Duke-Duplicate.  It was a Colony board with strong engine potential, so no one was interested in Duchies.  When I saw I was behind, I began accumulating Duplicates with gainers (storing them on my Tavern mat), then on the last turn I used them to gain a bunch of Dukes and Duchies and make up for a 4-Colony deficit.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »
+1

I just had a good come-from-behind with Duke-Duplicate.  It was a Colony board with strong engine potential, so no one was interested in Duchies.  When I saw I was behind, I began accumulating Duplicates with gainers (storing them on my Tavern mat), then on the last turn I used them to gain a bunch of Dukes and Duchies and make up for a 4-Colony deficit.
That looks like a lot of fun. I'm gonna have to try that sometime. I guess it would prefer an engine - but maybe it could work with just a chapel? (Trim your deck to Chapel/Silver/Silver/Copper/Nothing)

Edit: upon trying it solo it seems that a "Chapel-Duplicate-Duke" so-called "golden deck" will need a little more help, at least from a village. I tried it once and started buying and playing duplicates consistently around turn 9. I don't have any numbers for how fast Duke decks need to be, but this seems a little slow. If you start adding +action and gainers, though, it can get to be scary-fast.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:05:12 pm by ancientcampus »

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 28, 2015, 06:10:56 pm »

Nice, I'm glad you like it.  I'm not sure a golden deck would work, though, since you need to buy (or otherwise gain) both a Duke and a Duchy on the turn you go off, so having $5 isn't enough.  Something like Remake-Ironworks-Ironworks-Duplicate-Duplicate-Village would probably work (Ironworks-ing a Duplicate and a Village if you don't draw your Village, and Remaking the Ironworkses into a Duke and a Duchy on the final turn), but that's probably too narrow to come up much outside of a constructed Kingdom (even if you count variants using other gainers).  It would be fun on a constructed Kingdom though (ideally with other non-obvious combos that were roughly equal in power).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2015, 08:00:07 am »

Right, that would be a problem, wouldn't it. Still, the combo as a general idea has style, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2015, 12:36:24 am »
+1

I'm not sure if it's been said before, but I just played a game with Trader/Embargo that had interesting synergy.  My opponent Embargo'd Cultists, and I eventually discovered that buying a Cultist with Trader in hand was essentially Cultist + free Silver.  He didn't even bother buying any Traders either (basically his Embargo backfired and hurt him).  Not sure if it's good just thought it was cool.
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2015, 01:09:52 am »

I'm not sure if it's been said before, but I just played a game with Trader/Embargo that had interesting synergy.  My opponent Embargo'd Cultists, and I eventually discovered that buying a Cultist with Trader in hand was essentially Cultist + free Silver.  He didn't even bother buying any Traders either (basically his Embargo backfired and hurt him).  Not sure if it's good just thought it was cool.
Your opponent was a fool for not picking up a Trader, I think. While generally filling your deck with Silver isn't the greatest of things, having a Silver rather than a Curse (from Embargo) or a Ruins (from your Cultists) is going to be a decent compromise. And I suspect you'd get enough Silvers from that to play a Cultist rush, emptying Duchies, Ruins and a third pile of your choice fairly quickly.

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 04, 2015, 02:21:39 am »

Your opponent was a fool for not picking up a Trader, I think. While generally filling your deck with Silver isn't the greatest of things, having a Silver rather than a Curse (from Embargo) or a Ruins (from your Cultists) is going to be a decent compromise. And I suspect you'd get enough Silvers from that to play a Cultist rush, emptying Duchies, Ruins and a third pile of your choice fairly quickly.
Yeah he opened Ironmonger instead.  Still was a cool interaction.  He didn't even buy a Cultist either (just Mountebanks, Ironmongers, and a Possession a little too late).
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.