Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504362 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #200 on: May 03, 2015, 10:51:11 pm »
+1

Since there is no official ruling on such matters, obviously there is no answer...

Do inherited Estates count as Action cards at the end of the game when totaling Vineyards points?

This seems obvious by the wording of the Event - Estates specifically gain the abilities and types of the set aside card. Vineyard cares about the type of the card in question, so Inherited Estates should count for Vineyard.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2015, 11:52:16 pm »

This seems obvious by the wording of the Event - Estates specifically gain the abilities and types of the set aside card. Vineyard cares about the type of the card in question, so Inherited Estates should count for Vineyard.

This is not at all obvious to me when the wording in the FAQ says "for the rest of the game, all of your Estates have the abilities and types of the set aside card." Do inherited Estates become normal Estates at the end of the game when you're counting points, or do they stay inherited Estates?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2015, 02:14:08 am »

This is not at all obvious to me when the wording in the FAQ says "for the rest of the game, all of your Estates have the abilities and types of the set aside card." Do inherited Estates become normal Estates at the end of the game when you're counting points, or do they stay inherited Estates?
Is the score calculated at the moment the game ends, or after the game ends? Because I would figure that the "end of the game" is actually still part of the game.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2015, 02:47:01 am »
+5

Do inherited Estates count as Action cards at the end of the game when totaling Vineyards points?
Yes.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
Warrior + Champion
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2015, 08:44:17 am »

I'm withholding final judgement until I've played more games, but the combination of Warrior and its grandchild, Champion seems to be dominating the games where they appear.  There's a large first-mover advantage to getting a Champion and several Warriors, as they effectively become Laboratories with a cumulative attack.  By adding some extra Pages, I've seen 8+ cards/turn of trash milling.  The most effective counter usually seems to be to get Champion oneself, which only intensifies the rush for that pile.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2015, 03:30:41 pm »
+1

Haven and Golem: If you need Golem to make your engine work, you've probably suffered the frustrating turns where you don't draw your Golem until it isn't useful anymore. Yeah Golems are great at the start of your turn and awful at the end. Haven takes this negative and turns it into a positive. It's also a cantrip so you don't get those nasty Golem-surprises as often (LOL I'M GOING TO HIT THE ONLY TWO TERMINALZ IN UR DECK SO UR TURN IZ OVAR!!!!!)
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2015, 04:46:18 pm »
+4

Just thought of this:

Storyteller/Treasure Trove:

Storyteller wants excess Treasure, TT gives it to you.  But ST doesn't just want excess Treasure, it wants high-value excess Treasure, which TT still gives you.  Ordinarily, without trashing, TT might overflow an engine, but ST is able to deal with it.  Possibly you use all your Gold for draw, and then just have an unholy amount of Coppers for buying.  Or better yet, play TT with ST, giving you even more Treasures to draw!

Might need some +Buy, but that's not exactly hard to come by, and ST is non-terminal.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:47:26 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2015, 11:14:03 pm »

Just thought of this:

Man, I just posted this one.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 05, 2015, 11:41:38 pm »

Just thought of this:

Man, I just posted this one.

So did LastFootnote!  But I did it first.  ;)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2015, 03:01:23 pm »

Has anybody mentioned IGG+Apprentice+Graverobber?

Buy one IGG, trash it with Apprentice, gain it back with Graverobber, give your opponent a kajillion curses in the process.

Only works with a pretty thin deck and a secondary strategy but...
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2015, 03:06:29 pm »
+1

Has anybody mentioned IGG+Apprentice+Graverobber?

Buy one IGG, trash it with Apprentice, gain it back with Graverobber, give your opponent a kajillion curses in the process.

Only works with a pretty thin deck and a secondary strategy but...

Well, that's two separate card interactions: Graverobber + Apprentice and strong on-gain ability + Apprentice. IGG and Graverobber don't really have much of a synergy.

Also, if something requires 3 cards, then it's having a really hard time being "potentially useful". I mean, sure, it's possible that you end up playing a game with those three cards eventually if you play thousands of games, but on the other hand, it's also not too unlikely that you never will.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2015, 03:22:33 pm »

Well I mean I was thinking more along the lines of IGG + any non-terminal and/or cost-based trashing + any gain-from-trash card. Apprentice just struck me as best because it's non-terminal and cost-based. Terminal trashers would need a village to work, which is an extra card you'd need.

The interactions can pretty much be taken on their own - IGG + cost-based trashing gives you a bigger benefit from a "glorified copper" and IGG + gain-from-trash lets you use the on-gain ability from IGG more without junking up your deck. It's the combination of those that would qualify it as a "combo".
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2015, 03:41:28 pm »

IGG + gain-from-trash lets you use the on-gain ability from IGG more without junking up your deck. It's the combination of those that would qualify it as a "combo".

Gaining from the trash junks your deck up just as much as gaining from the supply.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2015, 03:48:03 pm »

IGG + gain-from-trash lets you use the on-gain ability from IGG more without junking up your deck. It's the combination of those that would qualify it as a "combo".

Gaining from the trash junks your deck up just as much as gaining from the supply.

Trashing and gaining back the same card over and over junks you up as much as buying a ton of copies of that card?

TwitchYouTubeMusic

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2015, 03:50:54 pm »
+1

Half the point of IGG is emptying the pile.  Then you just have to empty one more pile, and if you won the IGG split, you win.  Gaining the same IGG over and over again is kind of undermining that.  I could see Graverobber as possibly undermining a player who wants to rush IGGs, as a way to stall the end of the game.  But then you'd need a card to trash IGG in the first place... and yeah, not seeing it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2015, 03:56:17 pm »

Trashing and gaining back the same card over and over junks you up as much as buying a ton of copies of that card?

Trashing and gaining back the same card over and over junks you up as much as trashing and buying a ton of copies of that card, yes. In other words, the interaction is still just IGG+Apprentice.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2015, 03:58:09 pm »
+1

Half the point of IGG is emptying the pile.  Then you just have to empty one more pile, and if you won the IGG split, you win.  Gaining the same IGG over and over again is kind of undermining that.  I could see Graverobber as possibly undermining a player who wants to rush IGGs, as a way to stall the end of the game.  But then you'd need a card to trash IGG in the first place... and yeah, not seeing it.

Indeed. The relevant card combination is IGG+Duchy.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 06, 2015, 06:15:21 pm »

IGG+Mine/Taxman is decent.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2015, 07:54:55 am »
+2

Crossroads + Advisor : Simply because it's very likely that advisor draws you junk. Same logic as Scout + Crossroads, but you want advisor way more often than you would want a scout.

Royal Seal (or watchtower) + Border village : Gain Border village + Any good $5 terminal draw (or a trash for benefit). And you'll have a good next turn.

Royal Seal (watchtower) + Death Cart : Topdeck the death cart and one of the two ruins. In case of watchtower, trash the second ruin.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2015, 11:27:07 am »
+1

Procession+Strong 5 cost terminal, gain Border Village, gain the 5 cost.
Works wonders with Torturer.
removed by user

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2015, 06:06:01 pm »

IGG-Death Cart

More strategic than tactical interaction. When rushing IGG you need a third pile to empty, usually duchies, but with death cart around there are a few advantages to going for those instead. You only need to hit 4 instead of 5, and you'll empty the Ruins pile in 2p in 5 buys instead of 8. Then death cart and a few coin in hand will often enable you to get province level money in those cases where your opponent has something going already and is a bit ahead in VP even after all the curses you've sent them.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2015, 09:25:36 pm »

Treasure Trove and Apprentice make for a nice combo.  If you have two TT, then you can trash two golds a turn and get them back.  My only problem was having a way to get rid of all the coppers.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2015, 10:42:58 am »

Royal Carriage + Haunted Woods.

Although it doesn't duplicate the attack, +6 cards at the start of your turn is ridiculous for engines. I played two games where every turn I would draw my entire deck and play the other set of RC+HW each turn for massive draw and a constant attack.
removed by user

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2015, 02:56:01 pm »
+6

Counterfeit/Spoils: You're quite happy trashing the Spoils since you'd be losing it anyway.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2015, 03:32:42 pm »
+6

Royal Carriage + Haunted Woods.

Although it doesn't duplicate the attack, +6 cards at the start of your turn is ridiculous for engines. I played two games where every turn I would draw my entire deck and play the other set of RC+HW each turn for massive draw and a constant attack.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll make some new friends soon.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.