Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504424 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2015, 06:58:17 pm »
+1

^ Also works with Spy if Scrying Pool is unavailable.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2015, 09:15:10 pm »
+5

^ Also works with Spy if Scrying Pool is unavailable.

Well except that spy sucks
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2015, 12:03:14 pm »

Scrying Pool + Saboteur
Scrying Pool + Knights

Scrying Pool + Swindler

Keep cards on top you want to hit. After the Scrying Pools run out you can use Swindler to remove Scrying Pools from their deck (and there's probably no other $2P card on the board, so they won't even get anything in return).

I feel like the margin of benefit for you minus the benefit for him in removing Scrying Pools from the game (instead of Swindling one of his other cards) is negligible at best, under almost all scenarios.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2015, 12:58:16 pm »
+1

A couple simple ones:

Feodum + Raid:  play many Silver, buy Raid, get many Silvers, profit.
Band of Misfits + Ferry:  Place -2 cost token on Goons or Grand Market or other strong 6-cost card.  Then play Band of Misfits as the card with the reduced cost.

Ferry + Workshop/Armory/Ironworks:  Place -2 cost token on Goons or Grand Market or other strong 5- or 6-cost card.  Then use the gainer to gain the card with the reduced cost.  (Add 7- cost cards if Altar or Feast is in play.)

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2015, 02:40:27 pm »
+7

Province and Gold.

The Provinces give you VP while the Gold supplies you with the coins for other important cards like Chapel, which is actually a really good card.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

nickchak

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2015, 03:03:05 pm »
+2

Scrying Pool + Saboteur
Scrying Pool + Knights

Scrying Pool + Swindler

Keep cards on top you want to hit. After the Scrying Pools run out you can use Swindler to remove Scrying Pools from their deck (and there's probably no other $2P card on the board, so they won't even get anything in return).

A similar concept; if you can reliably insert Fortune Teller -> Saboteur into an engine and play it every turn, it can make for devastating and consistent end-game VP trashing.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2015, 08:36:51 pm »
+1

A similar concept; if you can reliably insert Fortune Teller -> Saboteur into an engine and play it every turn, it can make for devastating and consistent end-game VP trashing.
Ah, the Rabbleteur deck. One of my favourites.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2015, 08:47:39 pm »

Ferry + Grand Market -- it's significantly easier to get to $4 without Copper than it is to get to $6 without Copper.

Ferry + Trashing attack -- place the -$2 cost token on Province or some other juicy target that is normally too expensive to hit.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2015, 09:09:26 pm »
+2

Ferry + Trashing attack -- place the -$2 cost token on Province or some other juicy target that is normally too expensive to hit.

Ferry only works on Actions.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2015, 09:11:47 pm »

Oops.  So scratch Province and only have it on some other juicy target... I guess there are fewer of those, but there are still some!

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2015, 04:43:25 am »

Oops.  So scratch Province and only have it on some other juicy target... I guess there are fewer of those, but there are still some!

Where is the full list of cards?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2015, 09:04:25 am »

Alternatively, use Ferry on a key $4 or $3 to protect it from trashing Attacks. Never mind, doesn't work.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:29 am »

For Knights, Rogue, and Giant, you'd almost always be targeting a $7 card, since the $8 cards aren't be too great to go after anyway. So King's Court most likely. For Warrior, you'd go after a $5 or $6 card; there are plenty of good targets among those.

This does bring to mind the caveat that if you wanted to Ferry a $3 or $4 card, you'd be protecting your opponents' copies of it.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2015, 10:42:05 am »

Where is the full list of cards?
I'm guessing you missed the Rules Online thread?

I think and 5-cost you want multiples of would be good.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2015, 03:10:54 am »
+2

Prince + Inheritance - if there's a card you really want to Prince, then you can use Inheritance to imprint your Estates and now you suddenly have three more copies of it in your deck, thus greatly improving the chance you'll collide it with Prince. In addition, if you have an unreliable cost-reducer (or one where it's hard to play the reducer before playing Prince), then you can apply it in one turn to let your Estates Inherit, then you need never worry about whether you'll be able to get the cost down when you need to since the Estates cost $2!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2015, 03:40:42 am »
+2

This is probably obvious, but Prince and Ferry. Now, you can play Rebuild or Mountebank every turn or GM whatever. Hell, how does this sound, Ferry and anything else. The Event is just nuts crazy insane.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2015, 03:45:48 am »
+1

Or beyond awesome, as some will call it
My opponent has more loot than me

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2015, 10:47:15 am »
+1

Rebuild and Mountebank don't actually sound like great Prince targets, as powerful as they are.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2015, 11:56:33 am »
+3

Pardon my frustration.

One day, long ago I had a dream. This dream was that there would be a thread full of little combos that people could read through and add to their mental checklists so their game might improve.

Part of my dream was that these combos would appear in actual games of Dominion that were played. This probably means that they require only two cards to pull off. The odds of seeing three particular cards in a kingdom these days are extremely unlikely, and so they are much less useful. How much less useful? About 200 times less useful. Even requiring a village or additional draw or a category of cards to be useful is speculative. Three-or-more card combos get less and less worth talking about every day as more cards are added to the game, it's been said a lot but I'll say it again: the best place to talk about these interactions is probably in Game Reports or maybe Puzzles.

Hey, we just found a card from Adventures that reduces cost! WWWHOOAOAOAOAHAHAHAH!!! HOLY FUDGE BARS! Look at all the cool things we can break with it! The place for a list of all the cool Ferry interactions is probably a new thread on Ferry. Why? Because the dream wasn't to talk about all the mediocre combos with one particular card, the dream was to find the cream-of-the-crop pairs of cards, those special long-lost lovers who, when united, produce beautiful music far beyond what they could do alone; music that nobody else in the world could create.

If the combo is really [type of card] + [one particular card] and not two particular cards, then it should probably be presented as such (but again, the discussion on that probably belongs in a thread about the particular card). Maybe one particular card in [type of card] is way way better than the rest of its type so it's worth talking about here. Example: Quarry is probably the best cost-reducer for Stonemason because it's easy to get in play and have Stonemason take advantage of it. Stonemason is probably the best gainer for Quarry (yeah yeah Talisman whatever) because most gainers have trouble taking advantage of Quarry's cost reduction, but not Stonemason. The music, it's so beautiful! It's almost as good as TSwift's latest jam <3 <3

If your combo involves a type of card, and they're all really interchangeable, then that discussion really has to do with the particular card. Not with this list. If one shining example of your card type is really really good, that's what we're looking for. Talk about the category and then say why this particular card is better. Sure a flute sounds good with strings, but it was the flute+viola duet that brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Pardon my frustration again.

Adventures was released to the public two days ago. How many games could any given person have possibly played with these cards to legitimately think that Adventures card combos are as good as the other combos here? "But Adam I played a Ferry+GM game and it was AMAZEBALLZ!" but there are tons of other cards Ferry is good with. Have you played with all of them? How do you know it's the special music between these two cards when you've been playing with Ferry for two days. I've been playing with the Adventures cards for 10 months and I still feel like that isn't nearly enough. Not even close. How can you know that flute+viola is so magical when you don't even know what a flute sounds like?

Yeah that frustration applies to articles too I guess. Forgive me but any article on an Adventures card that's posted this year, I'm just not going to take seriously. Jack was out for 3 years before I felt comfortable writing an article about it. But this is all my personal opinion. I should be whining about this thread only because my opinion actually kind of matters here.

I'm sorry for my frustration, but there are just so many more people here that are taking this thread in 55 different directions than the few that try to steer it back. My arms are sore.

OK I'm done complaining now. Carry on with your discussions.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2015, 12:04:35 pm »
+10

Bear in mind you called this thread "Neat and potentially useful card interactions".  You did not call it "List of combos sensu stricto".  So, I think most of this are thinking of it as "oo, this seems interesting" rather than "THESE TWO CARDS EAT SPAGHETTI 'NEATH THE GIBBOUS MOON".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2015, 12:09:13 pm »
+1

What you say is not incorrect, I'm just trying to isolate the things that make this thread go off-topic and try to fix them. If that means branching off things that spawn unrelated discussions and/or attempting to prevent them from doing so, then sure, let's do that.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2015, 12:24:05 pm »
+1

I like this thread a lot and want it to keep going more or less the way adam wants it to as well. Not sure who else feels that way. Adam, what if you made a list of posts that you feel fit the criterion and keep that updated on the first post. That way, there can be tangents in the thread itself but the worthwhile posts are all still together and easy to read.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2015, 12:27:48 pm »
+3

I mean yeah I could do that, and I probabily will end up doing it. But I'd rather people be able to talk about a topic seriously on the forums. Partially because that's less work for me, partially because I don't want to have to decide what is "good enough" because that makes me an authority on the subject (which I'm not). And partially because I want to see good threads in the future that don't get sidetracked and then just die sadly.

Sorry if I sound grumpy but I guess I kind of am. Humbug. Uhh, let me say something silly to lighten the mood.

Woozle wuzzle?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »
+6

Bear in mind you called this thread "Neat and potentially useful card interactions".  You did not call it "List of combos sensu stricto".  So, I think most of this are thinking of it as "oo, this seems interesting" rather than "THESE TWO CARDS EAT SPAGHETTI 'NEATH THE GIBBOUS MOON".

I'm going to agree with Wero here that the thread title does not convey your declared vision in your last post, Adam. I suggest that if you were to start a thread called "Primo combos" or whatever and clarify in the OP that you wanted the very best two-card combos that people had actually played with, you might have results more to your liking. I do agree that people tend to get a little over-excited about declaring combos with new cards, and I understand your frustrations with things going off in tangents.

Also, I would recommend editing the worthy combos into the OP every so often. That will help to fulfill your vision of a succinct list for people to read.

PPE: ninja'd on the last point.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »
+2

I'm pretty sure that if this thread had a [serious] tag, the OP would have the right to delete your 'woozle wuzzle' remark :P
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.891 seconds with 21 queries.