Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504334 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2015, 06:13:42 pm »
+2

An interaction I like is Sage/Potion/cheap potion card such as University or Apothecary. If you open Potion/Sage then providing you do not draw them in the same hand over turns 3 to 5 you can stock up on the cheap potion card.

It's also very good with Familiar — it gives you slightly higher odds of hitting $3P on turns 3 and 4 than Silver does, and then it helps you play the Familiars more often.

Just try not to cry too hard when Sage skips over your University.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2015, 04:14:27 pm »
+3

So let's be really optimistic here and assume this will do the trick:

Let's try to keep this thread on-topic, please :)

In that vein, I'll post a few more of these. Some are classics, but maybe not all of them.

Quarry/Talisman: Relatively well-known, but the big bummer about Talisman is that it can't gain $5+ cards, and Quarry fixes that. Sure, other cost reduction works for this, but Quarry is also a treasure, stacks easily for Actions, and lets you get $6 cards too.

Menagerie/Warehouse: Menagerie is enabled strongly by cards that allow you to discard selectively from your hand, but Warehouse gets a special mention because it's much, much better than other cards for enabling Menagerie decks. You can draw most of your deck without Copper trashing, you can green heavily and not really stall all that much, which are things you're hard-pressed to do with other discarders.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2015, 04:16:33 pm »
+5

Doctor/Fortress: Can draw you cards if there's no other way to do so. More realistically, Fortress makes your Doctor less of a dead card later.
There have been two times I have tried to use this as my only real draw. Pro tip: it doesn't work very well (somehow I think I actually won those games anyway, but yeah, not advised)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2015, 04:18:06 pm »

Doctor/Fortress: Can draw you cards if there's no other way to do so. More realistically, Fortress makes your Doctor less of a dead card later.
There have been two times I have tried to use this as my only real draw. Pro tip: it doesn't work very well (somehow I think I actually won those games anyway, but yeah, not advised)

Hey there was one game I played a long time ago where I could keep playing Lookout later than normal because of Fortress, it was kind of nice.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2015, 04:19:56 pm »
+4

Storeroom/Philosopher's Stone. SR discards so it can push your PS, can sift through the junk you start with and the junk you might get, accellerates your deck and provides the buy you need to push PS and to actually make something of it.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2015, 04:28:01 pm »
+1

Here are two strong combos I saw recently that are probably well known, but that i had to learn about the hard way by losing to them.                           

Scheme/conspirator: simple. just get two schemes and have them topdeck themselves. Now your conspirators are always activated every turn. Example game: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150402/log.54485813e4b0342f4922b1e1.1428010853731.txt                                 

University/watchtower: play universities to gain actions and topdeck them with watchtower. Then play the watchtower to put the gained actions into your hand and play them with the plus actions provided by university. If you gain a second watchtower and some handsize decreasing actions, you may be able to do this more than once in a turn. Example game: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150406/log.5062f3dc51c3843e7939eb9f.1428344689079.txt

EDIT: added example games now that I am on a home computer and can do things like that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:27:51 pm by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »
+4

Quarry/Talisman: Relatively well-known, but the big bummer about Talisman is that it can't gain $5+ cards, and Quarry fixes that. Sure, other cost reduction works for this, but Quarry is also a treasure, stacks easily for Actions, and lets you get $6 cards too.

Related: Quarry/Grand Market.

Not sure if this one was mentioned, but this is a combo I miss very often. With just a little bit of trashing, lining up multiple Quarries is not too hard. Then Grand Markets with the +Buy creates a very nice feedback loop.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2015, 07:05:13 pm »
+4

Even without trashing, if there's engine potential, Quarry + GM is just nuts.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2015, 12:08:46 am »
+3

Even without trashing, if there's engine potential, Quarry + GM is just nuts.

Even without engine potential, Quarry + GM is most likely better than most other things you could be doing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2015, 06:13:12 pm »
+3

Band of Misfits and Conspirator providing there are cheap cards that give + action.

Band of Misfits can then either be used to activate the Conspirator chain or as Conspirators themselves. This means you have a very good chance of getting the chain going each turn.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2015, 08:15:25 am »

Is it possible to get Fortress in the trash?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2015, 08:29:23 am »
+4

Stables and Crossroads - one of my favorite draw engines.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2015, 08:36:49 am »

For that to be possible, you would need an effect that trashes cards by itself, without instructing a player to do so (so "your hand" in "put it into your hand" is not defined), or an effect that sends cards to the trash without trashing them. I don't think either exists.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2015, 09:15:28 am »

I don't know about perma-trashing fortress, but i still find stuff for this thread when i'm playing games.

Hunting party/Altar. Buy altar on your first 6 hand, almost certainly. Hunting party will repeatedly put it in your hand with an estate, which you can trash for a hunting party. You will have double hunting party turns, and the altar will quickly eliminate estates from your deck, meaning hunting party will trip on it instead of them. After this is done, on a worst case scenario the altar can start turning copper into silver, but probably in most kingdoms there is a better target card than silver once the hunting parties are out.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:11:15 pm by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2015, 11:37:32 am »

If a card said, "Place x in the trash" and a Fortress was in x, that would work.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2015, 12:06:15 pm »
+1

Can we make a "Lame and certainly useless card interactions" thread?

Poor House + Copper
Death Cart + Silver
Forge + Gardens
Smithy + Hunting Party
Crossroads + Necropolis
Scout + anything

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2015, 12:28:18 pm »
+4

*sigh*

Let's try to keep this thread on topic, please  :)

Council Room/Pillage: Council Room vastly increases the potency of Pillage's attack, the chances of you hitting a hand that was bad anyways decrease quite a lot. You can also play multiple Pillages on your opponent in a turn which is much more potent as well (though that's probably only feasible with Throne Room and the like). Plus, the draw and buys that Council Room gives you help you make use of the Spoils you get.

Very few times do I consider Pillage to be a legitimate attack, but Council Room is probably the best enabler out there.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2015, 02:59:56 pm »
+5

Governor/Black Market/Minion

I've only pulled this one off once, but the idea is as follows:

Play a village (doesn't matter which one)
Play multiple Governors for +3 cards
Play Black Market, dumping all your Treasure on the table
Play Minion for the discard attack *opponent discards his huge hand for a random four-card hand*
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2015, 03:32:49 pm »

Play Minion for the discard attack *opponent discards his huge hand for a random four-card hand*

Any opponent draw (Council Room, Governor, etc.) + any discard-to-x work.  Example:
http://gokosalvager.com/kingdomvisualize?logurl=http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20150319/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1426811891226.txt
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150319/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1426811891226.txt
(Okay, ya got me, all I really wanted to do was show a game where I beat Mic Q.)

But I can see how Minion is usually even more brutal than, say, Margrave because it doesn't let them choose which cards to keep.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2015, 03:34:28 pm »
+3

Any opponent draw (Council Room, Governor, etc.) + any discard-to-x work.  Example:
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150319/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1426811891226.txt
(Okay, ya got me, all I really wanted to do was show a game where I beat Mic Q.)

But I can see how Minion is usually even more brutal than, say, Margrave because it doesn't let them choose which cards to keep.

When someone has that plan working against you: Moat. (Useful defense is a useful interaction, yeah?) You are more likely to be defended than normal, given your increased handsize, and you're getting a bigger benefit than normal.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »
+2

http://gokosalvager.com/kingdomvisualize?logurl=http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20150319/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1426811891226.txt

It also gives you a chance to draw up your newly bought Black Market cards if you're able to overdraw!
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2015, 03:57:29 pm »
+2

It's not surprising that you've only pulled it off once, it requires three specific cards in a kingdom and kingdoms with three specific cards in them are incredibly rare.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2015, 04:00:43 pm »

It's not surprising that you've only pulled it off once, it requires three specific cards in a kingdom and kingdoms with three specific cards in them are incredibly rare.
Well, the Minion could be in the Black Market deck. (It wasn't, but it could have been.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2015, 05:22:51 pm »
+4

Scrying Pool + Saboteur
Scrying Pool + Knights

Use the spying attack to discard your opponents' cards until you spy something you want to trash. Province or Duchy? Or their key engine card, perhaps? In this situation, you may want to keep playing Scrying Pools even if you aren't drawing any cards.

Similarly, Scrying Pool + Tribute. Look for the card type you want to flip.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2015, 05:59:27 pm »
+4

Scrying Pool + Saboteur
Scrying Pool + Knights

Scrying Pool + Swindler

Keep cards on top you want to hit. After the Scrying Pools run out you can use Swindler to trash remove Scrying Pools after leaving them on top of their deck (and there's probably no other $2P card on the board, so they won't even get anything in return).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:20:21 pm by JW »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.