Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504242 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 06:52:36 pm »
+1

Counterfeit/Fool's Gold is a fun and potentially useful one
Huh, I wonder where you thought of that one...

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 07:05:55 pm »
+2

The general combo of cost reducer + gainer is a great one to know.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

CavJes

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 07:49:12 pm »
+2

Counterfeit/Fool's Gold is a fun and potentially useful one
Huh, I wonder where you thought of that one...

Yes, I dropped a little crumb for the multi-topic browsers... :P

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 11:23:35 pm »
+1

Fool's Gold BM+X seems so spiky that you may hit 12 with it once or twice and then have to tweak your strategy.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 02:16:39 am »
+4

Even better: Chapel/Scout. So you can trash your Scouts.
Scout draws your starting Estates to be trashed with Chapel!
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 07:36:16 am »
+2

I wondered about possible Black Marker combos:

BM+Poor House - play BM and all the treasures with it, thus maximizing the worth of your Poor Houses
BM+Mandarin - buy Mandarin from BM deck, topdecking your treasures and then drawing them again. This enables you to use same treasure cards again in the same turn.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 08:17:09 am »
+10

Black Marker definitely synergises with Adventure cards as long as they are not to be named.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 08:43:26 am »
+2

Black Market + draw-up-to-x:
Play Black Market + a lot of treasures (it doesn't matter whether you actually buy something from the BM deck or not), then play your draw-up-to-x (e.g. Library).  You will have the coins from the treasure you just played, while you draw a ton more cards.  Do this multiple times per turn and you're off to the races.  Of course this requires some sort of village for support.

Usage:
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150315/log.516d4577e4b082c74d7b716e.1426465057559.txt

EDIT: I suggest the OPer put the most useful/simple/interesting interactions into the OP, to make them easy to find later.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:46:44 am by Dingan »

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »
+1

BM+Poor House - play BM and all the treasures with it, thus maximizing the worth of your Poor Houses
BM+Mandarin - buy Mandarin from BM deck, topdecking your treasures and then drawing them again. This enables you to use same treasure cards again in the same turn.
The problem is that you're spending $5 on Mandarin and then you have to actually draw those Treasure cards again, when you could've just not spent the $5 and drawn just as many other cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 12:40:46 pm »

The problem is that you're spending $5 on Mandarin and then you have to actually draw those Treasure cards again, when you could've just not spent the $5 and drawn just as many other cards.

Unless you're overdrawing your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 12:48:01 pm »

Unless you're overdrawing your deck.

Very true. It can also be helpful if you've already drawn especially high-value Treasures like Platinum.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 07:52:58 pm »
+3

Scout/Apothecary. No, seriously. Ok, so it's not useful, really, but it's neat.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2015, 08:25:36 pm »

Prince/Counting House, maybe?
Counting House can get you to a quick $8 if you're lucky, and being able to play Counting House enablers like Chancellor, Scavenger, Storeroom etc without an action means being able to set up all those combos that are not feasible normally. It's not really enough to be a combo, with luck and a third card involved, but iplayed it in one of my first Prince games, and it was fun.

If not Counting House, how about Coppersmith/Prince? It can also get you to $8 early, and effectively turns all your Coppers into Silvers. Not sure whether that's combo territory, but it does look like a nice interaction.

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 09:25:25 pm »
+2

Journeyman + Fairgrounds
Chapel + Gardens
Counting House + Poor House
Highway + Bishop

Yeah, but the "neat" part is using the same treasures twice - once for buying Mandarin, and then the second time. I don't think that any other Dominion interaction allows for that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 09:26:45 pm »

Yeah, but the "neat" part is using the same treasures twice - once for buying Mandarin, and then the second time. I don't think that any other Dominion interaction allows for that.
Counterfeit?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 11:02:14 pm »

Good to know your nombos. But in all seriousness, Prince + Cost Reducer is pretty special.

I like cost reducers, can't you tell?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 11:18:17 pm »

Counterfeit?
Herbalist?
My opponent has more loot than me

SirClemens

• Navigator
  • A very creative personal text
  • Respect: +484
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 02:29:55 am »

Counterfeit?
Herbalist?

With Herbalist you can not use a treasure twice during the same turn.
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:01 am »
+2

Apprentice/Explorer

Apprentice gives big hands and trashing to line up Province/Explorer, Explorer gives Gold to trash with Apprentice. Not as crazy as Market Square/Apprentice, but still quite useful.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 09:44:18 am »

Counting House can get you to a quick $8 if you're lucky, and being able to play Counting House enablers like Chancellor, Scavenger, Storeroom etc without an action means being able to set up all those combos that are not feasible normally. It's not really enough to be a combo, with luck and a third card involved, but iplayed it in one of my first Prince games, and it was fun.

If not Counting House, how about Coppersmith/Prince? It can also get you to $8 early, and effectively turns all your Coppers into Silvers. Not sure whether that's combo territory, but it does look like a nice interaction.

Scavenger and Chancellor don't synergize with a Princed CH, since the CH gets played first, before you get to play the Scavenger.

I can maybe see Prince/Coppersmith... but the problem is that you need to hit 8 early and want to have more Copper than normal in your deck.  Most of the time you'd prefer to get rid of the Coppers and buy something better.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:57 am »

Good to know your nombos. But in all seriousness, Prince + Cost Reducer is pretty special.

I like cost reducers, can't you tell?

Be careful about *Princing* a cost-reducer when you want to use a cost-caring TfB, like Apprentice.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 09:52:22 am »
+1

Scavenger and Chancellor don't synergize with a Princed CH, since the CH gets played first, before you get to play the Scavenger.

I can maybe see Prince/Coppersmith... but the problem is that you need to hit 8 early and want to have more Copper than normal in your deck.  Most of the time you'd prefer to get rid of the Coppers and buy something better.

I assume he meant Prince the Chancellor/Scavenger, especially because you don't need a cost-reducer to do so.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 10:03:07 am »
+4

You're thinking about this backwards. Coppersmith itself helps you get $8 early and Prince of Coppersmiths does make you want more Copper than normal in your deck. "Most of the time you'd rather get rid of it and buy something better?" Prince of Coppersmiths instantly "gets rid" of all your Copper and replaces it with Silvers.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 10:29:17 am »

I've never understood why Coppersmith gets rated so low - without Copper trashing, it's consistently +$3 or +$4 in the early game, for $4.  That makes it comparable to Baron.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 10:31:27 am »
+2

I've never understood why Coppersmith gets rated so low - without Copper trashing, it's consistently +$3 or +$4 in the early game, for $4.  That makes it comparable to Baron.

Well, Baron gives +1 Buy, which is significant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.