Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 503101 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 10:45:26 am »
+6

I've never understood why Coppersmith gets rated so low - without Copper trashing, it's consistently +$3 or +$4 in the early game, for $4.  That makes it comparable to Baron.

There are multiple reasons:

• You usually want your opening buys to help you hit $5 early, because that's the price point where most of the important Action cards are. Any hand with Coppersmith and enough Coppers to get you $5 could have been a hand with Silver and the same number of Coppers and you still would have had $5. Silver has the advantages of being non-terminal, costing $1 less and being always available in every game.
  • You do want to get rid of your Coppers, and Coppersmith starts to suck as soon as you don't have any Coppers in your deck.
  • If you can't get rid of Coppers, building an engine is much more difficult and if you can't build an engine, you don't have any use for Coppersmith.
  • When you've managed to build an engine with lots of Coppers and Coppersmith(s), you still need +buy to utilize all of your dollars.

Baron doesn't have any of these problems — it's significantly easier to hit $5 with a Baron than it is to hit $5 with a Silver, you only have to keep one Estate around to use the full potential of all of your Barons, and it has the +buy on it already.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2015, 10:51:26 am »
+2

I feel I wouldn't buy more than half my barons if it didn't have the buy.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 12:10:38 pm »
+1

New combo: Forge/Spice Merchant!

Forge can gain Coppers for Spice Merchant to trash to create the only possibility of +buy...

Happened in this game.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 12:14:40 pm »
+1

Well this thread had a good run, I guess.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2015, 12:18:27 pm »
+2

I've never understood why Coppersmith gets rated so low - without Copper trashing, it's consistently +$3 or +$4 in the early game, for $4.  That makes it comparable to Baron.

There are multiple reasons:

• You usually want your opening buys to help you hit $5 early, because that's the price point where most of the important Action cards are. Any hand with Coppersmith and enough Coppers to get you $5 could have been a hand with Silver and the same number of Coppers and you still would have had $5. Silver has the advantages of being non-terminal, costing $1 less and being always available in every game.
  • You do want to get rid of your Coppers, and Coppersmith starts to suck as soon as you don't have any Coppers in your deck.
  • If you can't get rid of Coppers, building an engine is much more difficult and if you can't build an engine, you don't have any use for Coppersmith.
  • When you've managed to build an engine with lots of Coppers and Coppersmith(s), you still need +buy to utilize all of your dollars.

Baron doesn't have any of these problems — it's significantly easier to hit $5 with a Baron than it is to hit $5 with a Silver, you only have to keep one Estate around to use the full potential of all of your Barons, and it has the +buy on it already.

I guess I'll save it for my Worker's Village/Margrave/Counting House/Vault/Scout engine, then.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2015, 03:29:50 pm »
+5

I guess the most interesting one I haven't seen mentioned would be Candlestick Maker / Gardens. It's one of the best Gardens enablers in the game, actually. Each CSM is at worst a Copper that gives you an additional buy, and unlike Workshop, Woodcutter, etc. they are non-terminal. Its cheap as fuck cost combined with the +Buy means you can afford to buy a TON of them (like more than 5) before you start greening. Once you start stuffing your deck, it swells so quickly that you can often get to 50 cards before the rush is over. Plus Coin tokens are just super useful for Gardens strategies. Those annoying $3 hands when you're trying to lock up the Gardens pile stop being a problem with Coin tokens. It's almost as good as Storeroom / Gardens.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1396
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2015, 01:45:37 am »

Yeah, but the "neat" part is using the same treasures twice - once for buying Mandarin, and then the second time. I don't think that any other Dominion interaction allows for that.
Counterfeit?
Herbalist?
With Herbalist you can not use a treasure twice during the same turn.
Oh, that's what was meant. Well BM + HoP + Graverobber or Rogue also let you do this.  For treasures other than HoP, Counterfeit was mentioned and that could work with BM and Graverobber/Rogue for multiple plays of the same treasure in one turn, not just the two of buying Mandarin.

Also worth noting Mandarin doesn't have to be bought, it could be gained with e.g. Altar or Jester or Graverobber/Rogue or even Highway+IW and such
almost as good as Storeroom / Gardens.
I just played a game with Storeroom, Gardens, and P-stone.  Mmmm.

One I think a lot of people miss: Gardens and Soothsayer.  ~3 Soothsayers lets you simultaneously contest Gardens and Provinces in a way that can really catch your opponent off guard (they'll only be going for one, and you'll win because you can contest both)
My opponent has more loot than me

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2015, 07:23:45 am »
+8

Silver, when paired with a Gold, produce $5 on a consistent basis based on simulation results, however the code is still fairly basic right now.

I'm planning on adding this to the Dominion Combos page on the wiki, I didn't see it there last time I checked.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
+1

Cache + Doctor is something I played this morning in a really empty Kingdom without much else to do. Yet has surprisingly good synergy and pretty much works as a Big Money deck all by itself. You can open Silver / Doctor overpay, then buy Cache on $5, using Doctor to trash those Coppers before you even draw them. Get a second Doctor at some point and you can get essentially a Gold per shuffle without much drawback. Eventually you just buy gold straight up and then you're hitting $8 or more every draw. Kinda fun, I guess.

bug me on discord

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2015, 11:39:09 am »

Cache + Doctor is something I played this morning in a really empty Kingdom without much else to do. Yet has surprisingly good synergy and pretty much works as a Big Money deck all by itself. You can open Silver / Doctor overpay, then buy Cache on $5, using Doctor to trash those Coppers before you even draw them. Get a second Doctor at some point and you can get essentially a Gold per shuffle without much drawback. Eventually you just buy gold straight up and then you're hitting $8 or more every draw. Kinda fun, I guess.

Not to be a naysayer, but I wonder if that's really better than just buying Silver, Cache, and Gold. How many Estates and Coppers did you end up trashing?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2015, 11:48:54 am »
+10

I feel I wouldn't buy more than half my barons if it didn't have the buy.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2015, 01:01:22 pm »

Not to be a naysayer, but I wonder if that's really better than just buying Silver, Cache, and Gold. How many Estates and Coppers did you end up trashing?

I got the first Estate on my overpay, and the second near the end of a shuffle when I knew it would be there. I picked up a second Doctor by the end of the third shuffle and trashed at least 7 Copper. Bought 3 Caches, so I had at most 6 Copper in my deck, then I think I managed two Gold buys before picking up Province. Had just two Silver. Unfortunately I don't have the log from this game.

This seems like something easy enough to script in Dominate; I'll give it a try later. You very well could be right as trashing is rarely a benefit in Big Money - the reason Doctor works well in this strategy is because it trashes without hurting your current (or even future) turn much.

bug me on discord

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2015, 02:45:57 pm »

This seems like something easy enough to script in Dominate; I'll give it a try later. You very well could be right as trashing is rarely a benefit in Big Money - the reason Doctor works well in this strategy is because it trashes without hurting your current (or even future) turn much.

Well it "hurts" your turn in as much as each Doctor could have been a Silver. So it puts you down $2 in hand. Maybe it's worth it, dunno. I'd more readily believe that one Doctor was a good call than that two Doctors are.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2015, 11:30:01 am »

Maybe this one isn't that common, but I just had a fun Band of Misfits game with Shanty Town and Mining Village. When I had no other Action cards in my hand, it was Shanty Town. Otherwise it was Mining Village (or Conspirator, Forager, etc.). Band of Misfits is one of those cards that I need to buy more in order to really see its power. It's great with cards that are situationally awesome (Smugglers, Baron, etc.).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:31:12 am by LastFootnote »

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:19 pm »
+3

I can see a surprisingly great potential in Village / Smithy combo.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 04:18:34 pm »
+2

Maybe this one isn't that common, but I just had a fun Band of Misfits game with Shanty Town and Mining Village. When I had no other Action cards in my hand, it was Shanty Town. Otherwise it was Mining Village (or Conspirator, Forager, etc.). Band of Misfits is one of those cards that I need to buy more in order to really see its power. It's great with cards that are situationally awesome (Smugglers, Baron, etc.).
I've noticed that it makes "bad" cards significantly more important. Cards like Thief or Feast can usually be ignored, but when BoM's on the board you have to pay attention to them.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2015, 04:20:41 pm »
+5

Play band of misfits as feast. Trash band of misfits. Gain a band of misfits. Yes!
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2015, 04:23:17 pm »
+1

I've noticed that it makes "bad" cards significantly more important. Cards like Thief or Feast can usually be ignored, but when BoM's on the board you have to pay attention to them.

I play BoM as Feast to gain a BoM!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1396
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2015, 04:31:55 pm »

With KC, or for the last Duchy
My opponent has more loot than me

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2015, 07:35:25 pm »
+1

Play band of misfits as feast. Trash band of misfits. Gain a band of misfits. Yes!

It has won me the game before.

pubby   plays Band of Misfits
pubby   chooses Feast
pubby   plays Feast
pubby   trashes Feast
pubby   gains Band of Misfits
pubby   chooses Feast
pubby   plays Feast
pubby   trashes Feast
pubby   chooses Feast
pubby   plays Feast
pubby   trashes Feast
pubby   chooses Feast
pubby   plays Feast
pubby   trashes Feast
pubby   plays City
pubby   shuffles deck
pubby   draws Band of Misfits, Band of Misfits
pubby   chooses Mining Village
pubby   plays Mining Village
pubby   draws Band of Misfits
pubby   trashes Mining Village
pubby   chooses Feast
pubby   plays Feast
pubby   trashes Feast
pubby   shuffles deck
pubby   chooses Feast
pubby   plays Feast
pubby   trashes Feast
pubby   gains Duchy
pubby   plays 2 Silver, 1 Copper
pubby   buys Province
pubby   gains Province
pubby   buys Province
pubby   gains Province
pubby   shuffles deck
pubby   draws City, Copper, Silver, City, Province

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2015, 11:12:01 pm »
+2

WHO ARE YOU AND HOW DID YOU NINJA ME WITHOUT ME EVEN KNOWING
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2015, 02:29:34 pm »
+4

WHO ARE YOU AND HOW DID YOU NINJA ME WITHOUT ME EVEN KNOWING

Iguanas are closely related to chameleons.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »

And the rhetorical device of repetition signals emphasis out of this world.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2015, 05:34:41 pm »

I play BoM as Feast to gain a BoM!

I have played a bot game on Goko where the bot ignored all other Kingdom cards until it had finished off the BoM pile that way.

I think BoM is very good when Conspirator is on the board as BoM can be used to either activate the Conspirator chain or be pat of it.

An interaction I like is Sage/Potion/cheap potion card such as University or Apothecary. If you open Potion/Sage then providing you do not draw them in the same hand over turns 3 to 5 you can stock up on the cheap potion card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2015, 06:12:18 pm »

An interaction I like is Sage/Potion/cheap potion card such as University or Apothecary. If you open Potion/Sage then providing you do not draw them in the same hand over turns 3 to 5 you can stock up on the cheap potion card.

It's also very good with Familiar — it gives you slightly higher odds of hitting $3P on turns 3 and 4 than Silver does, and then it helps you play the Familiars more often.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.