Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504430 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »
+3

IGG-Coppersmith
Seems to be better than just IGG, assuming an IGG-Curse-Duchy 3-pile game.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2015, 01:58:22 pm »

IGG-Coppersmith

Given a board where IGG Rush is the best option, Coppersmith in the long run looks better than a lot of $4 cost cards. In the initial shuffle or two it isn't that great - not better than Silver at getting IGGs, but what it makes up for later is boosting to Province without completely clogging your deck with Copper. Cool idea.

I had a board which had me with no choice but to play Bishop and IGG. It's obviously an awful pair in the sense that your opponent gets to trash Curses for free, but getting 3 points in exchange for an IGG trash without even necessarily losing economy that turn is rather nice.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 01, 2015, 09:18:48 am »
+2

You can Bonfire Hirelings you've played and Graverob them later (maybe on a Mission turn).  Infinite card draw.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2015, 09:30:11 am »

You can Bonfire Hirelings you've played and Graverob them later (maybe on a Mission turn).  Infinite card draw.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't work, right?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2015, 09:50:38 am »
+4

I'm pretty sure that doesn't work, right?
It works in the sense of being within the rules.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2015, 10:40:21 am »

IGG-Coppersmith

Given a board where IGG Rush is the best option, Coppersmith in the long run looks better than a lot of $4 cost cards. In the initial shuffle or two it isn't that great - not better than Silver at getting IGGs, but what it makes up for later is boosting to Province without completely clogging your deck with Copper. Cool idea.

I had a board which had me with no choice but to play Bishop and IGG. It's obviously an awful pair in the sense that your opponent gets to trash Curses for free, but getting 3 points in exchange for an IGG trash without even necessarily losing economy that turn is rather nice.
IGG-Duchy games are often decided on one player hitting a lucky Province or 2. With Coppersmith or 2, spiking such a Province is obviously easier. I doubt whether always getting the free Copper is optimal as opposed to only picking the Coppers when you need to hit $5/$8.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2015, 04:22:52 am »

I recently bought Inheritance very, very early thanks to Wine Merchant. Which made me think that it's an excellent card to get very expensive cards or Events very early. Until i started typing this and realized you'd need a 5$ opening for that, and Baron as well as many other 5$s can do the same. Ah well...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2015, 10:15:58 am »
+1

With cost reduction, Summon Distant Lands.  Can also Summon Islands without the cost reduction.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 02, 2015, 10:20:15 am »

With cost reduction, Summon Distant Lands.  Can also Summon Islands without the cost reduction.

The Distant Lands can be a fun gamble. If the game ends before your next turn, you don't get the points!

Summoning Islands is a big risk (unless your deck is still mostly Estates and Coppers).

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 02, 2015, 10:58:59 am »
+2

I recently bought Inheritance very, very early thanks to Wine Merchant. Which made me think that it's an excellent card to get very expensive cards or Events very early. Until i started typing this and realized you'd need a 5$ opening for that, and Baron as well as many other 5$s can do the same. Ah well...
Wine Merhant isn't unreasonable at all for games with expensive components you want quickly, such as King's Court or Forge or especially Grand Market. The card is also less bad than it looks when you have more than one of them, as the same $2 can free all of your Wine Merchants at once. I think it is a bit underrated. I would have rated it above a lot of garbage $5s if I actually got around to filling out my poll this year :(

bug me on discord

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 02, 2015, 10:07:12 pm »

Play 4 Highways, buy Messenger, give everyone a Province.  Make sure you're ahead, and win the game quicker.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 03, 2015, 05:37:50 am »
+2

Recently i had some fun buying Messenger with Trader in hand. Two Silvers for me and a Curse for my opponents, weee!

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 03, 2015, 06:03:54 am »

Ferry/Band of Misfits is interesting. First put the -$2 token on the BoM, and later move it to another $6 (Goons!!) or $5 action pile.
Designer of Chronos Conquest

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2015, 06:24:48 am »

Ferry/Band of Misfits is interesting. First put the -$2 token on the BoM, and later move it to another $6 (Goons!!) or $5 action pile.

what is the advantage to putting it on the misfits first?

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2015, 06:47:20 am »

what is the advantage to putting it on the misfits first?

Well, to buy them cheaper ! This way you can buy Goons for $3, sort of.

Opening Ferry/BoM on a Chapel board seems also interesting.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:48:44 am by gamesou »
Designer of Chronos Conquest

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2015, 08:38:47 am »
+3

Recently i had some fun buying Messenger with Trader in hand. Two Silvers for me and a Curse for my opponents, weee!

That's not how Messenger works.  You can Trader the Messenger itself, since it's a when-buy ability, but if you Trader the thing you're handing out to everyone, then no one else gains a copy of it, because you didn't gain a copy yourself.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 03, 2015, 10:09:11 am »
+1

That's not how Messenger works.  You can Trader the Messenger itself, since it's a when-buy ability, but if you Trader the thing you're handing out to everyone, then no one else gains a copy of it, because you didn't gain a copy yourself.

I know that is what the rules say, but I don't understand this semantically. The card doesn't say "if you do" anywhere, so I don't see why failing to gain something affects what your opponents gain. I'm sure I'm just reading the card wrong, and obviously the rules trump my semantic reading of the card text.

bug me on discord

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 03, 2015, 10:26:23 am »
+2

This is a blue dog situation isn't it?

Messenger says:
"gain a card costing up to $4, and each other player gains a copy of it"

The question becomes: What is "it"?

Well, "it" is the card you gained. However, if are about to gain a card and Trader jumps in and makes that not happen, replacing the gain with its own Silver gain, now "it" (the card you gained) doesn't exist.

You could argue that "it" is the card you chose to gain, but to be consistent with the Ironworks/Trader ruling, "it" has to be the card you gained. If you didn't gain the card Messenger tried to give out, "it" doesn't exist, and your opponents gain nothing.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:13:48 am by Deadlock39 »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 04, 2015, 05:39:47 am »

Oh man. I was specifically looking for a "If you do" and must say the wording makes it appear you don't have to actually gain it. Or at least, it's not easy to tell.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2015, 01:32:12 pm »
+5

Stonemason on the board heavily mitigates the drawback of Contraband. Block key engine part? I'll just buy Stonemason and get two. Block Stonemason? With +$3 and a buy, I can still probably double-buy what I wanted anyway.

As ehunt pointed out, you can Stonemason the Contraband into something more useful once it's served its purpose.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 05, 2015, 12:21:00 pm »
+2

Alms + Mint/Mandarin:  Mint and Mandarin remove your Treasures from play, so if you have a spare buy, you can use Alms to pick up a $4 card for free.

Alms + Woodcutter variant (or any virtual money with +buy):  Play Woodcutter, buy a $2 card, get a $4 card from Alms.  Not super-powerful (a gainer would often be faster if there is one), but if there are good cards at $2 and $4, it can help you build your engine faster than those who are trying to buy their components with Treasure.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 05, 2015, 04:20:24 pm »

Artificer + Pathfinding

There's no doubt that an extra +1 card makes Artificer an absolute beast - at worst it's a Lab + Peddler, and a large hand is exactly what the discard-for-gain effect wants. You can start off using Artificers to gain more Artificers, and once you've hit $8 pretty soon you'll be getting double-Province turns.

I'm not sure how strong this is compared to Pathfinding a cheaper cantrip. I played this unopposed recently against a solid Venture deck and won narrowly.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 05, 2015, 04:34:24 pm »
+2

Counterfeit+Ill-Gotten Gains

You can produce a Copper with IGG, then Counterfeit it away.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 05, 2015, 05:16:54 pm »
+2

Counterfeit+Ill-Gotten Gains

You can produce a Copper with IGG, then Counterfeit it away.

This seems cool, but I have to wonder when in an IGG game are you going to be buying that Counterfeit instead of another IGG?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.