Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 74  All

Author Topic: Neat and potentially useful card interactions  (Read 504345 times)

Gamer3000

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gamer3000
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: Neat and potentially useful card interactions
« Reply #1225 on: February 17, 2018, 05:15:17 am »
+5

Temple/Changeling

Gain a Temple, take the VP, exchange it for a Changeling.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:16:23 am by Gamer3000 »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 19, 2018, 05:01:11 am »
+13

Raider/Council Room

With Council Room, you can have multiple Raider attacks per turn. This can wreak havoc on your opponent's starting hand, especially if they already started greening.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1227 on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:25 am »
+4

Borrow / Summon

If you have $4 and there is a cantripy/villagy $4 (there often is), you might as well Borrow-Summon it, rather than just buy it. Would there be any (non-edge-case) reason not to?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:32:06 am by Dingan »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 20, 2018, 03:31:58 am »
+1

Borrow / Summon

If you have $4 and there is a cantripy/villagy $4 (there often is), you might as well Borrow to Summon it, rather than just buy it. Would there be any (non-edge-case) reason not to?
Well, that may cause it to miss a shuffle that it otherwise wouldn't miss. And you don't get any on-buy effects.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 22, 2018, 05:22:56 pm »

Rats is good defense against War.  You know, if you can find that occasional kingdom where Rats are good and hexes are being tossed around.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #1230 on: March 02, 2018, 07:01:33 pm »
+26

Necromancer / Pathfinding

It's usually not very interesting when you use Necromancer to play a Necromancer. But tokens make it so. Pathfinding in particular - if there are a bunch of Necromancers in the trash - can turn 1 Necromancer in hand into a super mega Lab. Happened to me in a Knights game where 8 Knights and 8 Necromancers were in the trash.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 05, 2018, 03:55:39 am »

This ... sounds abusive.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 05, 2018, 10:35:47 pm »
+2

To me, that feels really nifty but falls short of abusive. Remember you can only do it once per turn, and you've had to invest quite a bit in making it happen.

You can get much the same effect from four Villages and four Smithies.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 06, 2018, 09:47:46 am »
+1

Rats, Monastery, Market Square

I played this combo yesterday and it worked in practice even better than I'd hoped. Opened Rats/Market Square on a 4/3, then bought a single Monastery and a couple more Market Squares. (Then, like an idiot, tried to pivot into doing funky stuff with a Forge rather than just greening, which was my downfall.)

Replacing cards in your deck with Rats makes it much more likely you'll get trashers and Market Squares to collide.

Each Rats and Gold you gain during your turn buffs your Monastery.

Monastery trashes a card at a time, so you can trash the cards you draw by trashing Rats. Or you might draw a Market Square...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1234 on: March 06, 2018, 09:55:18 am »
+1

I played this combo yesterday and it worked in practice even better than I'd hoped. Opened Rats/Market Square on a 4/3, then bought a single Monastery and a couple more Market Squares. (Then, like an idiot, tried to pivot into doing funky stuff with a Forge rather than just greening, which was my downfall.)

Replacing cards in your deck with Rats makes it much more likely you'll get trashers and Market Squares to collide.

Monastery trashes a card at a time, so you can trash the cards you draw by trashing Rats. Or you might draw a Market Square...

This is the thread for potentially useful card interactions. The thread for game reports is here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16947.0
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 06, 2018, 10:28:57 am »
+2

Huh? Three or four observations about card interaction, but one measly parenthetical remark about Forge and suddenly this is a game report not a neat interaction?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1236 on: March 06, 2018, 10:39:04 am »

Huh? Three or four observations about card interaction, but one measly parenthetical remark about Forge and suddenly this is a game report not a neat interaction?

It's not potentially useful, it has three cards in it which means it will never come up for anyone else playing full random.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 06, 2018, 10:42:32 am »
+1

This is the thread for potentially useful card interactions. The thread for game reports is here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16947.0

Almost made an AdamH joke; then took at look at the upvote for this post...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 06, 2018, 10:44:04 am »
+1

It's not potentially useful, it has three cards in it which means it will never come up for anyone else playing full random.

I'm not going to look through the whole thread to check and see if anyone else has mentioned 3-card interactions, but if the intent is that this thread can only be used for 2-card interactions, that should have been clearly stated up front.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1239 on: March 06, 2018, 10:45:28 am »

I'm not going to look through the whole thread to check and see if anyone else has mentioned 3-card interactions, but if the intent is that this thread can only be used for 2-card interactions, that should have been clearly stated up front.

It was:

The purpose of this thread is to highlight neat little interactions or synergies between two cards

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:48 am »

It was:

The purpose of this thread is to highlight neat little interactions or synergies between two cards

Yeah I just now saw that whole debate that took place way back then. I remember it from back then, but didn't even remember that this was that same thread. Either way, it's not in the original post; only in a longer post that was made later on.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 06, 2018, 10:52:40 am »
+1

Fair enough; that Monastery trashes cards (with side effects) piecemeal is still a valuable piece of information which makes Monastery/Rats a fine combo on it's own.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1242 on: March 06, 2018, 11:38:52 am »
+1

It was:

Yeah I just now saw that whole debate that took place way back then. I remember it from back then, but didn't even remember that this was that same thread. Either way, it's not in the original post; only in a longer post that was made later on.

No, that's a quote from the OP.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 06, 2018, 01:09:29 pm »

It was:

No, that's a quote from the OP.

Could have sworn I double-checked and couldn't find that exact text, but I see it now.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 06, 2018, 05:43:22 pm »
+6

There's already another different thread for this specific thing, actually:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16947.0

Two additional notes:

Stop posting Market Square + [trasher] gets lots of Gold. Yes. That's what Market Square does. It's not a combo, or particularly interesting. That's simply its job. If you can demonstrate a two-card combo with it unexpectedly sucking down 5 Provinces in 7-9 turns or something, like with Donate or Hermit, then sure, post it; otherwise, start learning how bad Gold usually is. It has taken me a long time to learn that, and my game has improved significantly. Learn to hate yellow cards, even Gold. My favorite thing to do with Gold gainers is trash-for-benefit them with cards like like Salvager or Apprentice. Every gold you gain should make you feel slightly uncomfortable trying to work how how you're going to draw it every turn.

That said, I do kind of like Rats + Monastery. For every Rat you play, you gain another card, so if you play Monastery at the end of the turn, it's almost turning each Rats into a trash-two. If you trash more Rats with the Monastery, you draw a card for each one, and since the ruling is that you trash the cards one at a time, you could potentially draw another card that you want to trash with the same Monastery, having earned multiple trashing opportunities. Now that is genuinely interesting..even neat and potentially useful.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: March 06, 2018, 06:16:57 pm »

Although I do agree that this thread is for 2 card interactions (Although you can't tell unless you scroll back for days examining all the posts), it still bugs me when people say that 3 card interactions aren't useful.  They are.  Just very rarely.  Since for all we know there will be an infinite number of full random dominion games played in the future, these 3 cards will appear together again an infinite number of times. 

Again, I do agree that of course it will be VERY rare to see these three cards if you play full random. (Although not everybody does.  Lots of people play IRL)

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 06, 2018, 06:23:30 pm »
+2

I've been on the forums since september, and I didn't realize these were not the same thread until just now.
Those names are very similar.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 06, 2018, 06:25:56 pm »

I've been on the forums since september, and I didn't realize these were not the same thread until just now.
I actually never knew the difference either.  I'm sorry if I offended anyone by posting things in the wrong places

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 06, 2018, 06:28:36 pm »
+7

Don't be sorry for offending Awaclus.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 06, 2018, 06:59:36 pm »
+5

My feeling precisely.

If this thread is specifically for interactions between pairs of cards, and people care so very much about that, it kinda needs to be said in the subject line.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 74  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.