Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What would you change about Dominion?  (Read 16671 times)

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
What would you change about Dominion?
« on: March 21, 2015, 01:50:16 am »

Name a radical change in the rules or layout that would work to change the game significantly or at least make for an interesting thought exercise.

For example, what if you added 4 Provinces to every game? What would a high level game look like? A low level game?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
Re: What would you change about Dominion?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:01:04 am »
+2

4 player games use 16 of each VP card and only end when 4 piles are empty instead of 3. Would make the game less of a sprint for VP.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 02:04:03 am »
+1

I think non-radical changes are more interesting (*cough* scoutrebuildtheif *cough*)

But, hmm..

Each player receives 1 special shuffle token at the start, which they may use once per game at the start of a turn. When this token is used they immediately shuffle their entire deck and draw however many cards they had in hand (maximum 5)
My opponent has more loot than me

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:04:12 am »

Well considering the fairly open design of the game, the biggest changes would probably be based on setup. Almost everything else can be changed with new cards. Nearly every "game changing" idea I come up with could simply be an "under-the-line" addition to some card somewhere.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:12:20 am »

I'm really trying to make a co-op version of Dominion work out but I can't think of how it would work.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 02:31:19 am »
+4

I have never understood people's fascination with co-op games, or co-op modes in general, but hey:

1) Goal: End the game as soon as possible using normal rules.
2) Goal: Empty the curse pile as quickly as possible.
3) Goal: Play a game of dominion in which all kingdom cards are available for purchase, and discuss your favorite cards while you play
4) Goal: Using the mega kingdom, end the game with over 100 VP as quickly as possible
5) Goal: Play a game in which each player starts with 1 Ghost Ship. The first player to play it is a meenie, and retains this status until the next Ghost Ship game.
6) Goal: Buy all the coppers
7) Goal: Buy all the silvers
8) Goal: End a game by emptying the following 3 supply piles: Gold, Silver, Copper
9) Goal: (Hard mode) Do #8 using *all* the cards from Base, Intrigue, and Base Cards
10) Goal: Play a game with no silvers in the supply
11) Goal: Play a game in which everyone must use their first $3 to buy Chancellor
12) Goal: Play a game in which you are allowed to use your Zaps from Dominion Online
13) Goal: Play a game with no kingdom cards
14) Goal: Play a game with Scout as the only kingdom card. Point and laugh anytime somebody buys a Scout.
15) Goal: Play a game in which each player starts with KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge. Discuss first player advantage.
My opponent has more loot than me

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 03:40:32 am »
+1

You get my respect only for the scout part.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:05:05 am »
+2

Would 12 Kingdom cards realistically work? or would something be skewed?

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 09:51:11 am »
+2

I have never understood people's fascination with co-op games, or co-op modes in general, but hey:

1) Goal: End the game as soon as possible using normal rules.
2) Goal: Empty the curse pile as quickly as possible.
3) Goal: Play a game of dominion in which all kingdom cards are available for purchase, and discuss your favorite cards while you play
4) Goal: Using the mega kingdom, end the game with over 100 VP as quickly as possible
5) Goal: Play a game in which each player starts with 1 Ghost Ship. The first player to play it is a meenie, and retains this status until the next Ghost Ship game.
6) Goal: Buy all the coppers
7) Goal: Buy all the silvers
8) Goal: End a game by emptying the following 3 supply piles: Gold, Silver, Copper
9) Goal: (Hard mode) Do #8 using *all* the cards from Base, Intrigue, and Base Cards
10) Goal: Play a game with no silvers in the supply
11) Goal: Play a game in which everyone must use their first $3 to buy Chancellor
12) Goal: Play a game in which you are allowed to use your Zaps from Dominion Online
13) Goal: Play a game with no kingdom cards
14) Goal: Play a game with Scout as the only kingdom card. Point and laugh anytime somebody buys a Scout.
15) Goal: Play a game in which each player starts with KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge. Discuss first player advantage.

#15 XD

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:06:05 am »
+4

Goko

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 10:25:31 am »
+7

Name a radical change in the rules or layout that would work to change the game significantly or at least make for an interesting thought exercise.

An online platform that worked.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 10:50:44 am »
+2

The two "house rules" that isotropic allowed you to implement were:
-force identical starting hands
-veto mode.
(and later point counters, which let's not discuss in this thread since they've been discussed ad nauseum.)

I liked veto mode a lot, and even enjoyed the strategy of the meta-game on veto mode. The unfairness of identical starting hands in Dominion doesn't bug me. Neither did the house rule seem to break the spirit of the game. I mean, there's no way you can force things to be identical in Dominion. When my opponent is 5/2 on a Mountebank board, I think, "OK, I'm probably going to lose... but what can I do now to make that less likely?"

To me the much more frustrating shuffle is the second. If I had to house-rule the second shuffle, I would give players the option, on turn two only, of placing an estate on the bottom of the deck. This is unnatural and inelegant, but I can't think of any other rule that fixes the second-shuffle frustration without breaking the game.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 11:33:35 am »

I think Action card piles should add a card for every player past 2.  That might make games last a little longer, but it might mean you can actually construct a halfway decent deck in a 4 player game before the Villages run out.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 01:39:32 pm »

I think Action card piles should add a card for every player past 2.  That might make games last a little longer, but it might mean you can actually construct a halfway decent deck in a 4 player game before the Villages run out.
What about having all piles (kingdom/victory) vary on a scale like 2p-8, 3p-10, 4p-12?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 03:02:21 pm »
+2

What about having all piles (kingdom/victory) vary on a scale like 2p-8, 3p-10, 4p-12?

10, 15, 20 for non-VP?

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 06:29:11 am »
+2

I might consider the online game a true spinoff and try things there that physically can't be done, like bottomless piles.  What if the base VP piles (estate, duchy, province and colony if it's there) were bottomless?  Every game would end on three piles, because you can't empty province or colony, or slog past half the available points. 

I also like getting to use a lot of any given board.  My least favorite kingdoms are the ones full of terminals, where you just pick the best one or two, grab a few copies, and otherwise buy treasure and green.  To get rid of that I'd consider making plain Village a base card with a pile of 40 like Silver. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:10:25 am by theblankman »
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 09:51:17 am »
+1

If Village were a base card, no one would ever buy Shanty Town.  What I did in my myth-y deckbuilder was I made "Necropolis" a base card, along with a card that can trash 2 cards at a time and does nothing else.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 09:57:14 am »
+2

If Village were a base card, no one would ever buy Shanty Town.

Shanty Town is a fine opening buy, and it works well when you have lots of other Villages.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 10:12:28 am »

If Village were a base card, no one would ever buy Shanty Town.

Shanty Town is a fine opening buy, and it works well when you have lots of other Villages.

Yeah, probably.  I guess my point was that if you want to make engines *possible* every game, that's one thing, but you shouldn't necessarily encourage them.  Having Village be a base card is saying "always make an engine".  Boards without Villages force you to be creative in other ways.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 10:12:56 am »

If Village were a base card, no one would ever buy Shanty Town.  What I did in my myth-y deckbuilder was I made "Necropolis" a base card, along with a card that can trash 2 cards at a time and does nothing else.

How would Shanty Town conflict whatsoever with Village? If I started with 3 copies of one of the two in my deck I would still consider a couple the other card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 10:23:39 am »

Yeah, probably.  I guess my point was that if you want to make engines *possible* every game, that's one thing, but you shouldn't necessarily encourage them.  Having Village be a base card is saying "always make an engine".  Boards without Villages force you to be creative in other ways.

I think it would definitely be an improvement if you could always build an engine. It's nice that sometimes something is powerful enough to compete with an engine, but it's not particularly nice that sometimes there's absolutely nothing powerful on the board whatsoever and you just have to go with the least awful strategy. However, I don't really like having Village as a base card either, because I think it's cool that there are games where, for example, you have to win the Procession split because it's the only splitter on the board.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 10:43:46 am »
+5

I think it's pretty short-sighted to say that "the game would be better if you could always build an engine." That's a different thing from what I think you're trying to say, which is "I would like the game better if you could always build an engine" but there are lots of people out there who prefer other types of games.

If you could always build an engine then every game would be an engine game. They're no longer special and there's no sort of variety; maybe engine games are your favorite (they are mine) but that doesn't mean I don't want to ever play the other types of games. It's pretty clear that the game would have much less replayability if BM games, slogs, or other types of hybrids were guaranteed to never happen, and no matter how you feel about any of those things, I don't understand how after years of playing the same game, anyone would want to say they would be happier if those games were never played.

This is a strong statement, but I'm pretty sure it holds: there's no way the game would be better if only engine games were possible.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 10:51:59 am »
+1

I think it's pretty short-sighted to say that "the game would be better if you could always build an engine." That's a different thing from what I think you're trying to say, which is "I would like the game better if you could always build an engine" but there are lots of people out there who prefer other types of games.

If you could always build an engine then every game would be an engine game. They're no longer special and there's no sort of variety; maybe engine games are your favorite (they are mine) but that doesn't mean I don't want to ever play the other types of games. It's pretty clear that the game would have much less replayability if BM games, slogs, or other types of hybrids were guaranteed to never happen, and no matter how you feel about any of those things, I don't understand how after years of playing the same game, anyone would want to say they would be happier if those games were never played.

This is a strong statement, but I'm pretty sure it holds: there's no way the game would be better if only engine games were possible.

Being always able to build an engine doesn't mean you always should.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 12:00:16 am »
+1

I might consider the online game a true spinoff and try things there that physically can't be done, like bottomless piles.  What if the base VP piles (estate, duchy and province) were bottomless?  Every game would end on three piles, because you can't empty province or colony, or slog past half the available points. 

These might become an endless race where people are constantly buying VPs at the same rate and ending the game gives the other person the lead...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 12:08:47 am »
+1

Uhh guys, having Village as a base card doesn't even mean you can always build an engine.  Without desirable payload actions, Village is a useless cantrip.  Without some draw card or at least a cycling, you won't reliably line up villages with multiple payload actions.  Yes, Village as a base card makes engine boards more likely (one less piece that needs to appear at random), but just having villages in your deck doesn't mean you're playing an engine, it just means you're a little less likely to have terminal collision so you can risk buying more actions. 

Maybe Village as a base card isn't the best way to get at the thing I dislike, which is that Big Money + (best available terminal) gets old pretty fast.  I think it's more fun to have a deck full of kingdom cards (most of which happen to be actions) than a deck of mostly Silver and Gold, especially if you can use multiple different kingdom cards. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:18:04 am by theblankman »
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.