Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest  (Read 8972 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Eurovision Song Contest
« on: March 19, 2015, 08:13:03 pm »

Since there are so many Europeans here, and it happens to be Eurovision season, I thought we could use an ESC thread.

For those of you who don't know, the Eurovision Song Contest is a super televised music event in which a bunch of countries in the European Broadcasting Union (plus guest star Australia this year) choose a singer/band and an original song to compete battle-of-the-bands-style for international fame.

Resources:
Official website
Full song list
"Eurovision 101" playlist by me

Discuss: Opinions on this year's contest? Favorite songs? Least favorites? Predictions? Etc.

I'm really excited that there are no obvious joke entries this year, although there's a bit of silliness and a bit of low quality. This means that there will finally be more people approaching the contest with dignity.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:23:00 pm »

I haven't been following it too closely this year. I know our entry, but that's about it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06:19 pm »

Our entry this year is cool.

I can say with confidence despite not having heard the song or any other songs from
them.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:24:56 pm »

I will need to check out the songs, especially since our once-in-a-lifetime entry has been described by local Eurovision experts* as "not the terrible ballad I thought they'd go with".

* Someone I know who likes to watch the show every year.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 12:36:49 am »

@ConMan: Australia's entry is definitely the catchiest this year. What happens if you win though?!?! They can't be expected to fly everybody out across the Pacific and back and host the contest at like 4 in the morning local time. I hope Australia is doing what countries that aren't prepared to host usually do... aiming for second place.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 01:29:32 am »

What's America's entry? :)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 02:32:35 am »

@ConMan: Australia's entry is definitely the catchiest this year. What happens if you win though?!?! They can't be expected to fly everybody out across the Pacific and back and host the contest at like 4 in the morning local time. I hope Australia is doing what countries that aren't prepared to host usually do... aiming for second place.
As far as I know, we aren't getting invited back next year, so if we do win then hosting probably goes to the 2nd place country or something. That said, it would be funny if we've set up this tradition of Aussie's getting up at stupid times to watch the event and we finally get to inflict the same on the whole of Europe.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:04:04 am »

I haven't heard anything but Sweden's song this year. I'll be looking more into the other songs before the actual competition. I know of Finland's song, but haven't heard it.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 03:32:34 am »

I remember THAT happened five years ago. Was fun.
It's pity guys didn't make it to the finals.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 03:48:23 am »
+1

As far as I know, we aren't getting invited back next year, so if we do win then hosting probably goes to the 2nd place country or something. That said, it would be funny if we've set up this tradition of Aussie's getting up at stupid times to watch the event and we finally get to inflict the same on the whole of Europe.

If you win, you get to come back next year but not to host.

Wait, what am I doing in the Eurovision thread.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 11:17:42 am »

I like Sweden's song okay (in fact I'm listening to it right now) but I'd like it better without the country music influences. I'm just not a country person. I might record a remix cover of it... that's something I said I'd do last year to some songs but never got around to. It's also a bit weird to have an entry with the same title as Conchita's latest single.

Finland is... sadly, the only entry I really don't like this year.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 11:38:51 am »

I intend to skip it like I do every year

UK has entered some sort of weird electro swing song that makes itself sound really catchy...but actually after its stopped playing its instantly forgettable.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:40 pm »

Oh please don't skip it. There are some great songs this year.

It seems like the UK entry is the closest thing we have to a novelty. The good part is that it's actually fun and funny, but in the absence of other songs like that (unless you count Israel), it's just going to get passed over as an attempt to not care, especially since it only gets one performance. Poor Molly...

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 12:37:54 pm »

It seems like the UK entry is the closest thing we have to a novelty. The good part is that it's actually fun and funny, but in the absence of other songs like that (unless you count Israel), it's just going to get passed over as an attempt to not care, especially since it only gets one performance. Poor Molly...

Really?
The learning difficulties Finnish Punk band singing about how they dont want to do their chores doesn't count as a novelty?

And i've managed to skip it for the last 20 years, another one won't hurt me.
If there's one thing more annoying than the block voting that goes on, its people moaning about the block voting.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 12:42:32 pm »

Really?
The learning difficulties Finnish Punk band singing about how they dont want to do their chores doesn't count as a novelty?

And i've managed to skip it for the last 20 years, another one won't hurt me.
If there's one thing more annoying than the block voting that goes on, its people moaning about the block voting.

Well amen to that last point - bloc voting is almost a non-issue now and people are still complaining about it.

I guess you could count Finland as a novelty. I just didn't because I'm trying to forget that song exists. It's also not in English so the only way people will... "get it" is if they do something huge onstage.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:40 pm »

Can someone explain this to me? It's like reading a manual on how to set a nuclear bomb without making it go off.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 12:49:08 pm »

Can someone explain this to me? It's like reading a manual on how to set a nuclear bomb without making it go off.

Do I need to explain how Eurovision works in more detail? (and I'm not trying to be condescending)

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »

Do I need to explain how Eurovision works in more detail? (and I'm not trying to be condescending)

I was talking about all those blocking rules and little things. Do people really sing songs about chores every year?

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 01:39:11 pm »

I was talking about all those blocking rules and little things. Do people really sing songs about chores every year?

Heh, no. That's just this year.

Bloc voting means the countries in a certain area all voting for one another. Everybody writes this off as being about politics and makes it a reason not to watch the contest, but it's really more about shared cultural norms than anything else. If one country's song is really similar to the popular music in your country, then you're probably going to vote for them. For example, Russia's singer Polina Gagarina is a HUGE star in Slavic countries, so she's likely to get a lot of points from Belarus, Poland, etc. And since the vast majority of Eurovision viewers only get one listening to decide what their favorite songs are, memorability is an important thing, whether cultural or otherwise. There are still politics involved, like Azerbaijan and Armenia never voting for each other, but most of the political voting involves voting against a particular country rather than for it. (Oh yeah, and you're not allowed to vote for the country you're in, that's the #1 rule of Eurovision.)

I mentioned the UK entry only getting one performance - that's because the UK is one of the "Big Five", countries that skip the semifinals and automatically get into the final round, along with France, Spain, Germany, and Italy. It's just because those countries provide the majority of funds for the EBU. There are two other automatic finalists this year: Austria, because it's the host country, and Australia, the guest star. All the other countries have to compete in one of two semifinals and the top ten from each go to the final. It's kind of risky to your score to be an automatic finalist, because viewers will already be familiar with the semifinalist songs so you only get one chance to make an impression. But then again, you have a chance of winning no matter what.

As for "novelties", there are usually a couple of entries each year that are flashy and silly and meant to be noticed rather than liked. A lot of novelty entries pass directly into the realm of what people call "joke entries" - I definitely use that as a derogatory term (I mean, come on. Really?) but some people don't. But there are some novelties that actually bring good songs with them (cough last year's winner cough) and if done well, using a novelty or gimmick is a good tactic to make a lasting impression and get some well-deserved votes.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 02:09:13 pm »

I just didn't because I'm trying to forget that song exists.

I find it kind of funny that they're trying to raise awareness and you're trying to forget it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 02:20:38 pm »

I just didn't because I'm trying to forget that song exists.

I find it kind of funny that they're trying to raise awareness and you're trying to forget it.

Eheh. Well... I didn't know that and you can't tell that from listening to the song. If they want to raise awareness at the contest, it'll have to be in their visuals or something. People representing marginalized groups at Eurovision is nice, but I'm the kind of person who pays attention to the music before anything else so to me it just sounds like an amateur punk track that I don't like.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 02:38:23 pm »

No joke entries? But that's the best part of the entire thing...  :'(

Ratsia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 04:50:49 pm »

I guess you could count Finland as a novelty. I just didn't because I'm trying to forget that song exists. It's also not in English so the only way people will... "get it" is if they do something huge onstage.
It's all but guaranteed they will not do anything special. They've been playing for quite a while, always with the same (lack of) show. Some Sid Vicious -style show people would remember simply would not fit to their style of punk, which is much more a Ramones-style purist thing. Deviating from that would defeat much of the point.

It's a pity the song they have in the contest is quite a bit worse than most of their other songs. With an average song like that they will be judged primarily as a minority performance, which does not make them (or the genre) justice. A proper punk performance would be long overdue in the contest and PKN would be fresh candidate to represent the style, but for some reason they ended up picking a song that is simply not good enough.

It's a bit like the case of Lordi. The show naturally helped them a lot, but the reason they had an actual impact on the contest in general is that they happened to take part with a song that was amongst their best ones. It always feels a waste when a good artist shows up with a song below their typical quality and lacks impact just because of that.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 05:54:46 pm »

England should get Oasis back together somehow for like a day and perform a rousing chorus of 'Don't look back in Anger'. England will win every time. :)

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 02:21:59 pm »

England should get Oasis back together somehow for like a day and perform a rousing chorus of 'Don't look back in Anger'. England will win every time. :)

Except we still wouldn't win unfortunately.

The only chance I reckon we would have is if he had some sort of funky young female opera singer, possibly also playing the piano.

Also, the best thing about Eurovision is the Father Ted Episode - Song for Europe

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.