Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thrown Room + Duration  (Read 1998 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Thrown Room + Duration
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:57:34 am »

I know if you play TR + a duration card (e.g. Caravan), the TR stays "in play" with the duration (at least on Goko it does).  But what if you play TR_1 + TR_2 + duration + non-duration?  Does TR_2 stay with the duration, or does it get discarded with the non-duration?

Similarly for King's Court.

I'm too lazy to try this out myself on Goko.  But regardless of what it does, what is supposed to happen?

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
Re: Thrown Room + Duration
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:13:55 am »
+2

The Throne Rooms that play at least 1 duration card and changes the duration effect (like doubling it) stays out. Throne Rooms that only play Throne Rooms get discarded.
The same goes for King's Court and Procession.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:21:04 am »

The Throne Rooms that play at least 1 duration card and changes the duration effect (like doubling it) stays out. Throne Rooms that only play Throne Rooms get discarded.

So the TR wouldn't stay out for cards like Outpost or Tactician, because Thrown Rooming these wouldn't change their effect?

And what about in the case of TR_1 + TR_2 + duration_1 + duration_2?  I assume TR_2 would stay out if it changed either duration_1's or duration_2's effect.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:31:06 am »
+2

Throne room doesn't stay out for Tactician, but it does stay out for Outpost.
For Outpost it does change something, because it is still trying to give you 2 extra turns even though it fails the 2nd time.

In the case of TR_1 + TR_2 + duration_1 + duration_2, TR_1 is only playing TR_2, which isn't a duration card. So TR_1 does get discarded. You're right that TR_2 stays out if it changes either duration_1's or duration_2's effect.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 05:27:47 pm »

So, am i right, that when i play a throned throne on a duration i.e. merchant ship, i will get $4 this and next turn, but i cant use the second throne for another card, because he will stay out with merchant ship?

I.e.

Hand is:

Throne Room
Throne Room
Merchant Ship
Copper
Village

Play Throne Room, select Throne Room.
Play that throned throne first time on merchant ship, stays out with it, so it fails to target the village in this turn for its second use?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:58:10 pm »
+1

So, am i right, that when i play a throned throne on a duration i.e. merchant ship, i will get $4 this and next turn, but i cant use the second throne for another card, because he will stay out with merchant ship?

I.e.

Hand is:

Throne Room
Throne Room
Merchant Ship
Copper
Village

Play Throne Room, select Throne Room.
Play that throned throne first time on merchant ship, stays out with it, so it fails to target the village in this turn for its second use?

No; a Throne Room can't "fail to target" the action just because it's already in play. Whether you chose a duration or a non-duration with the first play of the second Throne Room, either way that second Throne Room is in play. And either way you will play it again and choose another action card from your hand to play twice. Nothing in the game would care whether that Throne Room would be discarded at the end of this turn or not; not until you actually get to the cleanup step of this turn.

The specific actions are:

-Play Throne Room A from your hand
--Play Throne Room B from your hand
---Play Merchant Ship from your hand
---Play that same Merchant Ship again while it's already in-play
--Play Throne Room B again while it's already in-play
---Play Village from your hand
---Play that same Village again while it's already in-play

This would all be exactly the same if you replaced Merchant Ship with a non-Duration; or if you replaced Village with another Duration.

Note that the "stays out with it" has nothing at all to do with anything that happens in the action phase; it only affects what happens in this turn's clean-up phase.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:01:33 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 12:45:51 pm »

That used to be correct, but the rule was changed some years ago. The part about TR not playing a Duration is true; it doesn't stay in play. But TR that plays a Duration always stays as long as the Duration does. It doesn't matter whether the TR has any extra effect on the Duration. So TR + Tactician always stays with the Tactician. The same goes for TR + Gear when you don't set aside cards the second time, etc, etc.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.