Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Team Dominion  (Read 7099 times)

scsquire

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Team Dominion
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:31:41 am »
+4

So me and a friend had an idea that you could play dominion with teams.  I bet someone though of this all ready but hear me out. So you would play with 4-6 players with teams of 2 or 3 depending on the number of players.  It would play like a normal game of dominion with one exception that attack cards would not effect team mates.  Turn order would go every other like Player 1 Team A then Player 2 Team B then P3TA P4TA same with 2 vs 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3.  When the game is over the teams combined all there points to decide the winner.  If you have any thing to add or have other ideas share them in the comments.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Team Dominion
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:12 am »
+6

I'm sure that will pretty much work without a hitch.    Some of the balance will shift around but the game should still work fine.

I think it would be hilarious to play Bughouse Dominion, and whenever you gain a card, it goes in your teammate's discard pile.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:08:57 pm »
+1

I think A play order of 1,2,2,1 might be interesting if you are playing with Masquerade.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 01:21:14 pm »
+1

I'm sure that will pretty much work without a hitch.    Some of the balance will shift around but the game should still work fine.

I think it would be hilarious to play Bughouse Dominion, and whenever you gain a card, it goes in your teammate's discard pile.

This is my preferred method of 4P Dominion. (Also attacks don't hit your partner.)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 04:57:42 pm »
+1

This is my preferred method of 4P Dominion. (Also attacks don't hit your partner.)

(But Ill-Gotten Gains still does, right?)

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 05:05:52 pm »
+1

Now that you mention it, that raises interesting questions about the Curse pile. Would it be set to the number of opposing players, so that with two teams of two there would be 20 Curses rather than 30? Also what about non-Attack interactions like Embassy and Possession?

scsquire

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »
+1

(But Ill-Gotten Gains still does, right?)

In my opinion only cards that are explicitly attack cards would not effect your team mate but all other direct or indirect.  So you and your team mate would haft to work around that some how.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »
+3

I disagree with this because I dont have any friends to be in my team
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 06:28:01 pm »
+1

I think A play order of 1,2,2,1 might be interesting if you are playing with Masquerade.

Not very fair for Envoy, Advisor, and Contraband though.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 06:30:45 pm »

It's fair in that both teams have equal access to that idea. It just adds another cool thing to think about; those cards are better for P2 and P4.

scsquire

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 09:26:57 pm »
+1

It's fair in that both teams have equal access to that idea. It just adds another cool thing to think about; those cards are better for P2 and P4.

After thinking about you having that turn order (1-2-2-1) it makes the most sense it would change the way some cards are used and for the end game.  Though this sounds like something to play test.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:39 pm »

After thinking about you having that turn order (1-2-2-1) it makes the most sense it would change the way some cards are used and for the end game.  Though this sounds like something to play test.

Huh, I hadn't even thought of end game implications.  With two in a row, there's a lot more potential for sneaky pile endings.  How much tabletop is allowed for this variant?  If I go before my partner, can she tell me about her current hand to help me decide in whether to set her up for a 4-pile ending?  It's probably better if you can't, but it's hard to make it accountable.  In the official team variant for 7 wonders, you actually get to see your partner's hand and discuss what to do.

scsquire

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 10:51:59 pm »

Huh, I hadn't even thought of end game implications.  With two in a row, there's a lot more potential for sneaky pile endings.  How much tabletop is allowed for this variant?  If I go before my partner, can she tell me about her current hand to help me decide in whether to set her up for a 4-pile ending?  It's probably better if you can't, but it's hard to make it accountable.  In the official team variant for 7 wonders, you actually get to see your partner's hand and discuss what to do.

I think communicating would be allowed I see no reason not to, allowing this would make the experience more like a team effort and make for some interesting team strategy's for example you could have one team mate collect VPs and the other attack the other player or have the two rush to end the game and so on and you and your team mate con discus before and during the game.   

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:52 pm »

Now that you mention it, that raises interesting questions about the Curse pile. Would it be set to the number of opposing players, so that with two teams of two there would be 20 Curses rather than 30? Also what about non-Attack interactions like Embassy and Possession?

We play with 20 Curses/Ruins. Embassy is funny; if you buy it, your teammate gains it. Then you and your opponents gain silver, except your teammate gets that too. Possession isn't a problem since we play 1-2-1-2.

CG19

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 11:55:21 pm »

Whenever it says "player to the left", it skips any teammates. For Masquerade, pass across to someone on the opposing team (can't be the same person).

I like this idea.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 03:43:21 am »

Embassy is funny; if you buy it, your teammate gains it. Then you and your opponents gain silver, except your teammate gets that too.

...All 4 players gain Silver? Why is that?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:41:11 am »
+2

I play a Goons engine and buy all the Coppers! Hope my partner gets some of those Counting Houses...
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 05:52:20 am »
+4

I think the most logical way to do it is that any "all other players" effects ignore your partner. Also 1-2-1-2 is more convenient for "the player to your left" effects.

In Bughouse Dominion, do you "hardcode" Ironworks, or how does gaining work?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »

Embassy is funny; if you buy it, your teammate gains it. Then you and your opponents gain silver, except your teammate gets that too.

Buyer doesn't gain.

Buyer would gain Embassy but it goes to partner instead.  That causes everyone else to gain Silver, but when you would gain it, your partner gains it instead.  So you gain nothing and your partner gains both.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 12:40:22 pm »

Buyer doesn't gain.

Buyer would gain Embassy but it goes to partner instead.  That causes everyone else to gain Silver, but when you would gain it, your partner gains it instead.  So you gain nothing and your partner gains both.

That seems crazy, and is yet another reason that pacovf's common-sense solution of "each other player" only applying to opponents makes the most sense.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 01:09:13 pm »
+1

I don't think you can ever do a rigorous ruleset for Bughouse Dominion. There's just no consistent way to parse Ironworks, Mine, Soothsayer...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 02:31:33 pm »
+4

I don't think you can ever do a rigorous ruleset for Bughouse Dominion. There's just no consistent way to parse Ironworks, Mine, Soothsayer...

Hmm… what if you just replace the rule "when you gain a card, unless otherwise instructed, it goes in your discard pile" with "when you gain a card, unless otherwise instructed, it goes in your partner's discard pile"? Cases when you have specific other instructions on where to put it, such as Mine or Develop, don't change; you follow those instructions instead of the default rule.

Does this cause rule problems? Admittedly it makes some cards and some relationships between cards weird.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.