Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: >2 Treasure Maps?  (Read 3557 times)

ImperialStout

• Swindler
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
>2 Treasure Maps?
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »

Question: When, if ever, is it advisable in a 2 player non-colony game to get more than 2 treasure maps (TMs) to increase the odds of getting an earlier treasure map hand-in?  I appreciate your thoughts, substantiated or otherwise.

Edit:  Although Golem ->1st action TM -> 2nd action TM will trash both TMs leaving you with nothing but shame and regret (and a Golem), Golem ->1st action TM with a TM in hand will give you the 4 gold.  Has anyone had success with a TM, TM, Golem strategy?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:30:44 pm by ImperialStout »

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: >2 Treasure Maps?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:20:16 pm »

Buy a third TM if you hit 4 money and your TMs haven't collided yet.

Golem is actively harmful in a Treasure Map deck.  Consider that,

1) the Golem cost you a potion, which could have been a TM.  The opportunity cost is high.
2) if the Golem you purchased was instead a TM and it co-occured with a TM already in your hand, you would hit the jackpot anyway.
3) As you've said, if the Golem does not occur with a TM, you risk trashing your treasure maps if you play the Golem..
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:10:56 pm by rrenaud »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:35:13 pm »

If you're having little success with treasure maps then buying an extra treasure map can sometimes be less harmful than buying an extra silver. You'll probably lose handsomely if the treasure maps are never cashed anyway. Alternatively, if you can cash in the treasure maps to a plan, perhaps with tactician turns, then why not get 4 treasure maps and do it in style?

I'd skip the golem and treasure map combination until you get throne-ironworks-watchtower-golem-market in hand.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »

I'd skip the golem and treasure map combination until you get throne-ironworks-watchtower-golem-market in hand.

What does the Golem do there?  TR + IW, get two TMs on top of deck, play watchtower to draw them and cash them in.  If you go TR + IW, put two TMs on top, and then play golem, you'll just trash them both (neither of them is in hand for the other to combo with).

ImperialStout

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:06:47 pm »

I believe DG is thinking of TR + IW-> Buy TM +1 action, place on deck (WT)-> Buy TM +1 action, place on deck (WT) -> Market, drawing TM -> Golem hitting the top TM and cashing for 4 gold with the TM in hand.

Also, I'm pretty sure he's joking given the unlikelihood of ever drawing the discussed hand.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, this is very helpful!  In the past, I've left the TMs floating in my deck indefinitely to punish them for not coinciding on their own accord.  In retrospect, this strategy was suboptimal.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:51:02 am »

I believe DG is thinking of TR + IW-> Buy TM +1 action, place on deck (WT)-> Buy TM +1 action, place on deck (WT) -> Market, drawing TM -> Golem hitting the top TM and cashing for 4 gold with the TM in hand.
Throne the ironworks for +1 action, gain a treasure map, put it on top of the deck using the watchtower (twice)
Play market for +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy, +1 coin, drawing the treasure map
Play golem to find a treasure map and an unknown action card from the draw deck
Golem plays the unknown card first (or second if it gives +cards)
Golem plays the treasure map, trashing the copy in hand, gaining four golds on top of deck
Play the watchtower to draw up to six cards drawing the gold into hand, giving at least 13 to spend with an extra buy.

ckd

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »

I still like the very simple play: Talisman, Royal Seal, Copper. Buy a Treasure Map...get another one...both go on the deck.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:37:36 pm »

I still like the very simple play: Talisman, Royal Seal, Copper. Buy a Treasure Map...get another one...both go on the deck.

Indeed

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:12:52 pm »

If a trash-for benefit card like Bishop, Salvager, or Apprentice is available, go nuts! Once you cash in one set, trash the extra treasure maps for VP, $, or card drawing.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 20 queries.