Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: On the Job: f.ds edition  (Read 51403 times)

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
Re: On the Job: f.ds edition
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 11:16:30 pm »

I once had to help someone with Excel and found out they didn't know Excel could automatically sort data.  They were doing it all by hand ...

This just broke my soul.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 09:15:40 am »
+6

I'm likely to be out of a job in 2 weeks.  :(

My team needs people at my job :)

Do they need people with Physics degrees with little workplace experience?

Physics degrees are good, actually.  I work at a software company that does pricing and risk analytics (like, quantitative finance).  A lot of people here have physics backgrounds.

I play drums. When do I start?
That's the problem with drummers.  They never know when to come in.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 01:31:10 pm »

Physics degrees are good, actually.  I work at a software company that does pricing and risk analytics (like, quantitative finance).  A lot of people here have physics backgrounds.

Well, what's your company?  Where do I poke around to see if I'm what they might be looking for?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 02:44:56 pm »

I play drums. When do I start?
That's the problem with drummers.  They never know when to come in.

There a lot of problems with drummers.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 03:53:12 am »
+3

There are two Java developers at our office, a colleague and myself.

I use Eclipse and Maven and the other guy uses VI (not even syntax highlighting) and Ant (no Ivy). The irony is that the other guy is once hired as our main "Java expert", while I'm a generalist who happens to be a Java expert as well. I'm slowly convincing my team and superiors that using VI and Ant is not really efficient, nor is putting all of your libraries in SVN and keeping around old libraries on your classpath when you upgrade to a newer version of the same library.

Our manager recently visited an old friend who has set up a medium-sized (70 people) company with mostly (Java) developers. To his surprise, most of them used Eclipse and Maven (and lots of other useful tools)! I've often told him "well, I don't use them because I want to be different, I use them because every serious programmer is using them (or some other tools based on the same ideas)!" Of course it's hard for the non-technical guys at our office to understand what we're talking about, so I'm glad he got to see an actual serious company using those tools.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 11:25:48 am »

I use Eclipse and Maven and the other guy uses VI (not even syntax highlighting) and Ant (no Ivy). The irony is that the other guy is once hired as our main "Java expert", while I'm a generalist who happens to be a Java expert as well. I'm slowly convincing my team and superiors that using VI and Ant is not really efficient, nor is putting all of your libraries in SVN and keeping around old libraries on your classpath when you upgrade to a newer version of the same library.

Our manager recently visited an old friend who has set up a medium-sized (70 people) company with mostly (Java) developers. To his surprise, most of them used Eclipse and Maven (and lots of other useful tools)! I've often told him "well, I don't use them because I want to be different, I use them because every serious programmer is using them (or some other tools based on the same ideas)!" Of course it's hard for the non-technical guys at our office to understand what we're talking about, so I'm glad he got to see an actual serious company using those tools.

Man I hate Eclipse though. Using plain old VI is crazy, but Eclipse just feels so bloated. I'm a fan of Geany.

Maybe when you're doing serious development Eclipse's tools prove more useful, but my CS department uses Eclipse on the lab computers and my professor this semester keeps on giving us instructions on how to set up a git repository, commit, etc that are over a page long every time (because they keep changing) and people still keep having strange issues. Meanwhile I'm merrily just using git through the command line on my laptop rather than pecking through all the silly menus.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 11:45:13 am »
+2

I think I've griped about this before, but I use a program that lists files in a typical window format that has the usual methods for sorting by file name or file size or modified date.

But when I sort by modified date, I get this result:
Apr 05 2011
Apr 23 2008
Dec 27 2006
Feb 04 2015
Feb 25 2014
Jul 12 2012
Oct 18 2010
Sep 03 2014

Yes, thank you. I realize now that I was wrong when I tried to sort the date chronologically. You have shown me the error of my ways, and I am now convinced that all dates should be sorted alphabetically. You're a life saver!
A man has no signature

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 04:43:02 pm »
+7

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 06:33:44 pm »
+2

That really, really sucks. Do you have somewhere to stay for the time being?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:23 pm »
+5

It was just a joke but thanks for the concern!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 07:24:41 pm »
+24

It was just a joke but thanks for the concern!
phew, for a second we thought you were a drummer!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 07:35:35 pm »

Oh man. At first I thought it was a joke and laughed, but then I saw pacovf's comment and felt bad about it. Whoops.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2015, 08:25:44 pm »

Oh man. At first I thought it was a joke and laughed, but then I saw pacovf's comment and felt bad about it. Whoops.

The joke's on his girlfriend, because he really is a drummer!

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 11:40:10 pm »
+7

What's the difference between a drummer and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of four.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:29 am »

I'm sensing some self confidence issues or something? Anything you want to share?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:14 am »

Hey, all you need to do is glue some cotton to the end of your drumsticks and say you're a timpanist.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:30 am »

I've heard the same joke but with Art majors swapped in for drummers.

Man I hate Eclipse though. Using plain old VI is crazy, but Eclipse just feels so bloated. I'm a fan of Geany.

Maybe when you're doing serious development Eclipse's tools prove more useful, but my CS department uses Eclipse on the lab computers and my professor this semester keeps on giving us instructions on how to set up a git repository, commit, etc that are over a page long every time (because they keep changing) and people still keep having strange issues. Meanwhile I'm merrily just using git through the command line on my laptop rather than pecking through all the silly menus.
I can relate somewhat. I have my Git project repositories synched up to Eclipse, but run all git commands through the command line (actually Git Bash but same deal). I've used the Git/Github GUI tools for commits sometimes, but once I got used to using the command line for Git I never felt like using anything else.

I distinctly remember what made me switch over to IDEs like Eclipse from simple text editors. It was when I discovered that Eclipse can automatically generate getters, setters, and constructors (Context:Java). Nowadays I can really appreciate the refactoring tools offered by IDEs. I do feel like Eclipse starts getting strange or doesn't work like you expect it to once you dip into all the fancy plugins.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2015, 07:38:02 am »
+10

That really, really sucks. How are you going to feed your kids while you find a way to become a pizza again?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 10:51:31 am »
+15

That really, really sucks. How are you going to feed your kids while you find a way to become a pizza again?

It's just a joke, I'm still a pizza. But thanks for your concern!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2015, 02:42:38 pm »
+1

I've heard the same joke but with Art majors swapped in for drummers.

I can relate somewhat. I have my Git project repositories synched up to Eclipse, but run all git commands through the command line (actually Git Bash but same deal). I've used the Git/Github GUI tools for commits sometimes, but once I got used to using the command line for Git I never felt like using anything else.

I distinctly remember what made me switch over to IDEs like Eclipse from simple text editors. It was when I discovered that Eclipse can automatically generate getters, setters, and constructors (Context:Java). Nowadays I can really appreciate the refactoring tools offered by IDEs. I do feel like Eclipse starts getting strange or doesn't work like you expect it to once you dip into all the fancy plugins.
Well, it's not about Eclipse although I like it and use a lot of features of it.

It's about using any IDE which understands you're writing code instead of READMEs.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 09:51:28 am »
+1

I need some help.

I'm playing on BGA a few minutes ago using Chrome), and I look up at the upper right hand corner of my screen where the three black horizontal bars are (the Tool Menu icon?).  Those bars are always black in color, and now they are RED, not black.  I finished the game, closed the browser, re-opened the browser, and watched the black bars in the icon be refreshed (filled, if you will) in an orange color.  They are orange as I type this.

Anybody know what's going on?  Should I be worried?  I've not run any updates from Google.  My next step is to run a full scan with McAfee AV.
Posting begets posting.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 09:54:40 am »

I need some help.

I'm playing on BGA a few minutes ago using Chrome), and I look up at the upper right hand corner of my screen where the three black horizontal bars are (the Tool Menu icon?).  Those bars are always black in color, and now they are RED, not black.  I finished the game, closed the browser, re-opened the browser, and watched the black bars in the icon be refreshed (filled, if you will) in an orange color.  They are orange as I type this.

Anybody know what's going on?  Should I be worried?  I've not run any updates from Google.  My next step is to run a full scan with McAfee AV.

Man, that happened to me once for a while. I think it had something to do with my Chrome login, but I can't recall. You could try updating to the latest version of Chrome, log out, and then log back in. If you're not logged in then I don't know what to tell you.

EDIT: Here's something I found with a search:

Normally updates happen in the background when you close and re-open your browser. However, if you haven't closed your browser in a while you might see the Chrome menu on the browser change colour to green, orange, or red. If you see green that means an update has been available for 2 days, orange – 4 days and red – 7 or more days. To apply and available update, just follow the steps below.

Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
Select Update Google Chrome.
In the confirmation dialogue that appears, click Restart. The browser saves your opened tabs and windows and reopens them automatically when it restarts. If you'd prefer not to restart right away, click Not now. The next time you restart your browser, the update will automatically be applied.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:56:15 am by LastFootnote »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 09:55:41 am »

I need some help.

Are you sure you should be doing this while you're ... on the job?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 09:59:13 am »

I'm retired, so I'm not on the job.

@ LastFootnote:  Thanks for the help, I'll run a scan, then follow those instructions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:00:17 am by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:55 am »
+1

I'm retired, so I'm not on the job.

"Then why are you posting to this 'On the Job' thread?" is what I think Witherweaver is asking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.