Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Blackrock Mountain Discussion  (Read 41167 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Blackrock Mountain Discussion
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:37:30 pm »
+1

New adventure announced. I new card. 7mana 8/4, if you are holding a dragon, destroy a legendary minion.

I'm hijacking your post a bit, as this is the OP now, for card images:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:29:20 pm by ashersky »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Depths Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:09:27 pm »

There's several other spoilers too.  7 mana 8/4 sucks.  BGH is cost-1 health, 8/4 is cost-3 health.  Then you can only kill Rag and part of Dr. Boom (lol...), you can't kill Mountain Giant or Earth Elemental or anything like that.  Oh, and you have to be holding a dragon...

The 3 mana 3/5, though, that's a damn card.  A DAMN card

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:35:54 pm »

You forget that the 8/4 is also terrible against aggro since they almost never fun Legendaries.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:04:11 pm »

Just checked the 5 released cards. The 3/5 for 3 is amazing. The rogue card looks amazing in arena, but all the 2/3s in aggro decks make it seem less good in constructed.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:48:28 pm »

Hungry Dragon looks very solid to me, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's worse than it looks. There aren't that many 1-drops, and I think you have a decent chance of giving them something annoying, like a Goldshire Footman or Worgen Infiltrator.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:32:45 pm »

There may also be new one drops that are good. There are enough that are good, like flame imp and chow, where you're actually giving a two drop. I suspect it'll be ok in arena, but not special enough to be used in constructed.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 06:05:58 pm »

I really like Hungry Dragon in a pinging class. Lots of 1 drops are 1 health.

I also really like the 3/3 replicating thing in a Warrior deck. (Cruel Taskmaster, Death's Bite, Whirlwind, Bouncing Blade). 2 of those things properly timed could give you a lot of bodies.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:18 pm »
+1

I really like Hungry Dragon in a pinging class. Lots of 1 drops are 1 health.

Yeah but then it's just a 6 mana 5/6, which isn't great. You have to be able to ignore the 1 drop or kill it with a leftover Light's justice or something for it to be really powerful. Like turn 4 on an empty board it's fine, since the 1/1 is probably not going to be able to do anything unless your opponent has Blessing of Kings.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:38 pm »

Ah, finally the dragon type means something.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 06:58:35 pm »
+1

There's several other spoilers too.  7 mana 8/4 sucks.  BGH is cost-1 health, 8/4 is cost-3 health.  Then you can only kill Rag and part of Dr. Boom (lol...), you can't kill Mountain Giant or Earth Elemental or anything like that.  Oh, and you have to be holding a dragon...

Not all legendaries have 7+ attack though. There's still Loatheb and Tirion and...Sylvanas? Sneed's? Hrm. It's more like The Black Knight but for legendaries, and it could still be relevant depending on what new legendaries pop up.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:44 pm »

7 mana with 4hp is not worth the conditional kill if something that could be removed by much more efficient cards. I'm excited for grim patron in warrior. Put some unstable ghouls, you could be spamming 3/3s that just create more if they use AoE that does less than 3dmg

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 11:48:08 pm »
+1

Not all legendaries have 7+ attack though. There's still Loatheb and Tirion and...Sylvanas? Sneed's? Hrm. It's more like The Black Knight but for legendaries, and it could still be relevant depending on what new legendaries pop up.
Ysera. I expect the card partially exists to have use if everyone ends up running Ysera for the dragon synergy. Not that I'm saying it'd be good even in that meta, but that might be what they have in mind.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 01:50:46 pm »

Hungry Dragon seems best to combo minions that want little runts to pick on, like Acolyte, Raging Worgen, or Stoneskin gargoyle.  Out of those, Acolyte is a card that actually goes in decks, and has the best synergy.

Random one drops synergize with death's bite whirlwinds and brawl too, seems tilted towards warrior a bit.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 04:45:40 pm »

Hungry Dragon seems best to combo minions that want little runts to pick on, like Acolyte, Raging Worgen, or Stoneskin gargoyle.  Out of those, Acolyte is a card that actually goes in decks, and has the best synergy.

Random one drops synergize with death's bite whirlwinds and brawl too, seems tilted towards warrior a bit.

MC tech is worth mentioning because it's run a lot since dr boom.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 05:55:46 pm »

There's no synergy with MC tech until turn 7, since before turn 7 the 1 drop can be traded into the Dragon, unless you somehow stealthed the dragon. 

It's a combo that might affect how you pay the card, but I don't think it's a combo where you say, "hey, my deck has MC tech anyway, so it definitely wants a couple Hungry Dragons", the way you say that Knife Juggler when your deck already has UTH or the way you say that about Quartermaster when your deck already has Muster.  But it might affect how you play the card if some deck ends up wanting Hungry Dragon and also ends up wanting MC tech for separate reasons. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 08:01:59 pm »

That's what I meant. It may be a reason to favour it over another card, but no you won't build a deck around it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 03:04:54 pm »

That's what I meant. It may be a reason to favour it over another card, but no you won't build a deck around it.
Yeah, I am busy being excited about "My deck has azure drakes so I definitely want 3/5".  Whatever it's called

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 10:32:09 am »

http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2015/03/07/exclusive-blackrock-mountain-sneak-peek-the-grim-guzzler/

Apparently they fixed Alexstrasza vs Heorics by giving base armor instead of extra health.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 10:32:39 am »

Also, does the Blackrock Mountain stuff need to spin off into another thread?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 11:06:11 am »

I'm upset that they are toying around with Brawl in this way.  It suggests they are proud of having made that card.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 11:08:09 am »

Alexstraza should just not target bosses because they're not "heroes", they're villains.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 12:00:08 pm »

Alexstraza should just not target bosses because they're not "heroes", they're villains.

Nah, that's just nit-picking at wording. It's "target that person you're playing against, whether it be bot or human"

And I'm ok that they're messing with Brawl for bosses. I'd be annoyed if it was in constructed cards, but bosses can have whatever unfairness they want really. My question is what happens if there is 2 of them. Isit chosen randomly who wins? Or do they both win? Say I get one from mirror entity.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 12:07:58 pm »

Whoa... so I don't currently play magic because $, but I keep up with spoilers from time to time..

The set that's in spoilers for magic right now has the EXACT same mechanic as Blackrock Mountain.  It seems beyond coincidence.  There's cards that say "you may reveal a Dragon card from your hand when you play this card, if you do, get bonus".

It's on noncreature spells, non minions, mostly, but still..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:15:34 pm by popsofctown »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 12:15:37 pm »

Whoa... so I don't currently play magic because $, but I keep up with spoilers from time to time..

The set that's in spoilers for magic right now has the EXACT same mechanic as Blackrock Mountain.  It seems beyond coincidence.  There's cards that say "you may reveal a Dragon card from your hand when you play this card, if you do, get bonus".

So blizzard got inspired from magic? It also seems like a natural progression for Hearthstone to do dragon, since the have the tag an weren't using it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 12:21:05 pm »

Well they knew the next magic set was "Dragons of Tarkir" and decided to do that dragon thing they were putting off now of all times.

Then use the same exact mechanic too..  This is the first time the having creatures of a certain type in your hand has mattered since Lorwyn.  But both mechanics will have a unique feel do to the high mana cost of the average dragon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.