Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines  (Read 12654 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Cities: Skylines
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:34:44 am »
+4

Who's super excited for this game?  The Simcity series is one of my favorite games of all time, and this looks like it'll be the best city-builder game since Simcity 4.

Early reviews appear very enthusiastic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-skylines

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:37:13 pm »

hmm, looks nice and clean, hated all the more recent Sim Cities with being too much.

I'll definately give it a look
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:46:58 pm »

This does look good. The last Simcity game I played was 3000 which I got when I was like 9. Had loads of fun with it though. From what I gather, some of its sequels weren't as well-liked.

Edit: realized it was actually 3000 that I played.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:53:54 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:48:49 pm »
+2

Simcity 3000 and 4 were superb.  The 2013 Simcity was plagued with technical problems but had some decent innovations underneath.  This looks like the real deal, though!

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:29:31 pm »

This looks interesting -- I think I'm going to wait another week or so to see some more reviews but I'm thinking I'll buy it if it has a positive reception!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:31:22 pm »

This looks pretty slick.  SC4 was the pinnacle of the genre; if this can unseat it, I'll be impressed.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 09:07:18 pm »

Did any of you get this? What do you think of it?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 01:44:07 am »

I'm teetering on the edge of getting it. I'll report back when/if I do. I watched some gameplay on Youtube, and it looked pretty fantastic. I normally wait for games to go on sale though...

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:28 pm »

And...I finally broke down and got it. It's downloading right now. I'm excited!
I'll probably have more to say tomorrow after playing it all night.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 10:03:14 am »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 10:34:54 am »

I remember playing Cities XL and having my computer spontaneously combust from trying to calculate traffic.

Relevant?  http://imgur.com/gallery/WdJim

I was not expecting the Space Elevator.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:42:41 am »

Roundabouts are indeed pretty sweet. To be honest, you can ignore almost everything you just read and plop roundabouts everywhere. As an added bonus, they look nice and are a central tool for ton of the amazing cities I see on this subreddit. The only downsides are that they take a little longer to build, and they take a lot more space.

If this is indeed the case in this game, then it does not do a very good job of modelling real life traffic, because in real life, roundabouts are terrible :(  Anyone ever driven in New Jersey?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 11:44:12 am »
+4

Perhaps you are thinking of something else?  It is widely accepted in the urban planning literature that roundabouts are superior to intersections in terms of traffic, safety, and fuel consumption:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/roundabouts/topicoverview

Carmel, Indiana has replaced its intersections with roundabouts and reduced the number of accidents by 40% (and injury accidents by 80%): http://www.carmel.in.gov/index.aspx?page=123

As someone who grew up in NJ, NJ has very few roundabouts.  Maybe you are thinking of jughandles.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 11:58:14 am »

Perhaps you are thinking of something else?  It is widely accepted in the urban planning literature that roundabouts are superior to intersections in terms of traffic, safety, and fuel consumption:

Carmel, Indiana has replaced its intersections with roundabouts and reduced the number of accidents by 40% (and injury accidents by 80%): http://www.carmel.in.gov/index.aspx?page=123

As someone who grew up in NJ, NJ has very few roundabouts.  Maybe you are thinking of jughandles.

I'm talking about the big traffic circles that you see throughout central Jersey, especially around the shore. 

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »

I'm talking about the big traffic circles that you see throughout central Jersey, especially around the shore.

There's a decent amount in central/southern NJ. I think they're better for people who are used to them, but worse for newcomers. There's a lot in DC and they definitely help with traffic.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 12:45:56 pm »

My main problem was the two-lane ones.. the circle was two lanes wide, but you have to exit from the right one.. and in some cases part of the lane would be, like, exit only.. lots of congestion getting on, changing lanes, getting off.  There is one on the drive to the shore, not far from Point Pleasant.  The roads would get really backed up.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 12:55:34 pm »

You are supposed to get in as much as possible, then move one lane outwards per exit until you are in the outmost lane right before your exit.

It is quite an exercise in faith, because it relies on everybody doing the same, and some people get into the outer lane before their exit because they are afraid they will miss it, and it messes everything up.

At least that's how I've been taught about them, and how I feel about them. Small roundabouts are the Wild West though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 12:57:22 pm »

You are supposed to get in as much as possible, then move one lane outwards per exit until you are in the outmost lane right before your exit.

It is quite an exercise in faith, because it relies on everybody doing the same, and some people get into the outer lane before their exit because they are afraid they will miss it, and it messes everything up.

At least that's how I've been taught about them, and how I feel about them. Small roundabouts are the Wild West though.

I don't get it :(  You get in on the outermost lane, and then people need to exit on that lane..

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 01:03:04 pm »

Let's say we have a N lane roundabout. You want to get out at the n-th exit. Then you enter the roundabout at the n-th lane (counting from outside). Everytime there's an exit, you move one lane outwards. If everybody does so, you shouldn't have a problem doing it. By the time you reach your exit, you should be at the outmost lane. Nobody can block you from going out.

If there are more exits than lanes, you get in the innermost lane, and don't move outwards until the number of remaining exits until yours is the number of lanes of the roundabout.

That's the theory, at least.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 01:09:45 pm »

Okay, but these traffic circles are small and congested.  You enter in the outermost lane and if you want to exit at the next exit or the one after (which are immediate), you have to stay there.  If you get out at the one after the next one, then people are getting in in your lane, and basically crossing you as you have to exit. 

It's just really messy.  It works fine if there are no other cars.  Then again, so would going straight.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 06:20:22 pm »

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 01:41:22 am »

Bought the game. I'm loving it so far -- highly recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Do you guys have any tips on making highway interchanges? I just spent forever building one, it's very hard to do well.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 11:19:39 am »

Bought the game. I'm loving it so far -- highly recommend it to anyone who is interested.

A friend told me to wait for patches, something about "undo" when building being impossible? Is this incorrect? I'm inclined to waste all weekend playing this.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 11:23:09 am »

A friend told me to wait for patches, something about "undo" when building being impossible? Is this incorrect? I'm inclined to waste all weekend playing this.

An undo button would be great -- but the lack of one hasn't overly frustrated me right now. As of now, if you want to delete something you just built, you have to actually bulldoze it. A bit annoying but it hasn't really affected me at all.

A lot of stuff is getting modded that's helpful -- you can pull intersections, buildings, new features, etc. As an example, in the base game you can only purchase 9 of the 25 plots of land, but you can easily get a mod to allow you to use all 25 plots of land. There's mods that let you change whether or not an intersection has a traffic light, traffic patterns of certain lanes, etc. More and more is getting modded.

I'm having a blast with it -- I definitely view it as more of a sandbox-type game than anything else. It's not like it's a exercise in maximizing efficiency or anything like that. You just build stuff that you think looks cool without bringing your city to its knees -- I've had no problem progressing after getting the very basics out of the way.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 11:26:52 am »

Hmm, I may go for it then.

My friend's horror story involved building out his entire street grid, then discovering he'd accidentally done it all using one-way streets that didn't flow together.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 21 queries.